• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Animal Collectors & Hoarders

wilbur42

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Cat collectors...

Good evening all.

Apologies for the lack of a direct reference, but I do believe there was a story in the press last week about a dear, slightly eccentric old lady who surprised her neighbours by leaving over £1m in her will to various charities, including a cat's home. It also transpired that she had rather a large collection of cats. Random link I suppose, but does it occur to anyone else that there seems to be a correlation between being old, living alone, being slightly mad and collecting large numbers of cats. Or is it the cats collecting the wealthy old ladies...?

And why cats? Are dogs too honest to take advantage??

I fear I may be turning into one of these women. I'm rapidly developing the mad hair. But other than that I can shed no light on the matter. :(

You have to be female, or it doesn't happen. Odd, really. Dogs won't eat your corpse, mind.

...or will they..?
As I heard, both dogs and cats will happily tuck in, but dogs will wait longer...
:eek!!!!:

wilbur said:
...or will they..?
As I heard, both dogs and cats will happily tuck in, but dogs will wait longer...
:eek!!!!:

A dog will guard your fallen body until its own life is endangered by starvation; a cat looks at your stiff and sees a six foot tube of Whiskas.

Absolutely IJ, but then, who really cares, since you're dead at that point anyway?

All cats are evil. They are the spawn of the deepest pit of hades. They probably see everyone as a six foot (or five foot four in my case) tube of whiskers even before you're dead. Its just that you move too quickly when youre alive for them to eat you.

Death to cats!!!!!!:miaow: :grrr: :devil:

Dogs don't have the guile. Bless 'em. Actually I think it might be a woman thing with cats. My Uncle, (who is a man, obviously) has promised a rather a large sum to the local dog rescue home where he got his own dog from when he finally shuffles off this mortal coil. I get the dog, and also a sum of money that will guarantee it dog food for the rest of its days, which I am on no account to spend on shoes. Apparantly.

Ahhh that is going to be me. I am also going to wear big floppy hats, and a pink bathrobe. I'll spend a lot of time watering my garden (lots and lots of pink plastic flamingos as well, mind you) and I will have probably 50 cats by then. I can't wait to be old! Hehe

foxybox said:
Death to cats!!!!!!:miaow: :grrr: :devil:
Death to dogs! (or Wow-wows as we call them round here.) Cats are fab, and anyone who says otherwise with a drunken beak is askin' for big trouble.
The thing about cats is, if they love you, you know they love you because you're OK, but with dogs... well, they love any bugger... :)

Cats don't love. They go wherever they find food. A dog will fight for you...mine has, silly bitch.

If you think cat's don't love, you should meet my Mewsley; he's completely besotted with me. Quite worrying really.

Inverurie Jones said:
A dog will guard your fallen body until its own life is endangered by starvation; a cat looks at your stiff and sees a six foot tube of Whiskas.

Ahem, *big cough*, have you checked out the 'News' secion of this board recently? An old lady (Guess that bit's correct!) had to be rescued from her home after falling ill and not being able to feed her 70 poodles. (Not fallen but barracaded in.) They started to eat each other, and her! I'll go and find the link, and the other mad dog attack posted on here.

[EDIT]

Dog attack cars

Death by Poodle

[/EDIT]

Think I agree that dogs frankly lack the guile - just too innocent to manipulate little old ladies - cats can be very persuasive in my experience what with all those claws and teeth...

Found an article in yesterday's Guardian magazine on this kind of thing

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,,903991,00.html

(hope link works!)

I've met many lovely dogs, and lovely cats too, but you have to admit that you can't trust a cat for a second

[edit: Link is a bit odd - you could get the printer friendly version from there but not the original. I've swapped it for a better one.]

I fully intend on becoming my town's Crazy Old Cat Lady in 20 years time, I shall shuffle about in my worn out slippers with my rollers in my hair, call all my 300 babies :miaow: by their names, kids will run past my house and dare each other to knock on my door, you wait and see ... :spinning

wilbur said:
Think I agree that dogs frankly lack the guile - just too innocent to manipulate little old ladies - cats can be very persuasive in my experience what with all those claws and teeth...

I've met many lovely dogs, and lovely cats too, but you have to admit that you can't trust a cat for a second
Its true. Turn your back for a second and they've got your video and TV down the pawn shop, plus the little beggars'll have your signature forged on your pension book, new will, transfer of House Deeds etc.:D

Cats make me sneeze and they mess in my garden and dogs are so stupid and smelly that i cannot bear to be around them...I'm going to be the kind of crazy old lady that leaves her money to a home for disadvantaged male strippers...........sorry, drifted off for a second there........

Marie Prevost, long forgotten silent movie star, victim of the the 'talkies', had her corpse eaten by her dachshund.......I'm such a fund of useless information.

Wintermoon said:
Ahem, *big cough*, have you checked out the 'News' secion of this board recently? An old lady (Guess that bit's correct!) had to be rescued from her home after falling ill and not being able to feed her 70 poodles. (Not fallen but barracaded in.) They started to eat each other, and her! I'll go and find the link, and the other mad dog attack posted on here.

They're poodles; vile, mutated psuedo-dogs, as totally unhinged as the people who own them. Mind you, if someone shaved most of your hair off and dyed the remnants pink, you'd tear their throat out, too (unless you were, say, a philosophy student).

beakboo said:
If you think cat's don't love, you should meet my Mewsley; he's completely besotted with me. Quite worrying really.

Exactly, Beak. My Oliver likes me because I'm me and doesn't complain about the size of my Barclaycard bill and the end of the month . . . :rolleyes:

Carole

269 animals rescued from single house

Just seen this on AOL:

RSPCA officers have rescued 244 dogs, 16 parrots, seven cats, a rabbit and a chinchilla from a single three-bedroom house.

The 269 animals were crammed into all parts of the house, including the loft and basement, owned by a middle aged couple in Carnforth, Lancashire.

The RSPCA said: "This is the largest seizure of animals in our history. It is huge."

It took 26 staff two days to clear out the animals from the house, described by one local source as: "Absolutely and utterly disgusting."

The local council's environmental health officers have also visited the property.

Some animals needed the attention of two vets, brought in by the charity to check the animals over.

The couple have been interviewed by RSPCA inspectors.

The haul of dogs included shih-tzus, dachshunds, lhasa apsos, bearded collies, corgis, chihuahuas, poodles, pekinese and Yorkshire terriers.

The birds included a macaw, Amazonian parrot and an African Grey.

All the animals have been taken to various SPCA animal centres across the country, following the seizure on Wednesday September 10.

I mean 269 beasties?!? I'd love to know more about this story. What strange compulsion drove the couple to "collect" so many animals and birds? What were they fed on? How long did it take the neighbours to notice? Having once lived above a pet shop, I know that just one parrot makes a pretty loud racket (epecially at 6am on a Sunday when I had a hangover, strangely enough), so god knows what sort of row 16 of the little buggers would have made!

I'm not a dog-lover and the thought of having 244 of the smelly dumb creatures in a house my size is sickening. However, the couple must have had some kind of compulsion, maybe a variation of OCD which drives some people to hoarde newspapers etc.

i've read many similar stories (bleah). i remember one where the newspaper said that in the house there was a 4-5 inch thick layer of excrements...
think about cleaning that.
and i also remember a case involving flying rats...

Maybe they trying to sell the animals? I just saw on the news last night of some guy who had about 200 rats in his house. They were in cages and he sold them to people to feed to their snakes and such. :cross eye

Seems unlikely, given the report. And from what I've seen/read about extreme 'collector' situations such as this, is that the animals end up being euthanized anyway because they are comepletely unsocialized. :(

For a read about a truly oddball example of a 'collector', this feature ran in The New Yorker magazine about a year-and-a-half ago about a woman who hoards tigers on her New Jersey property. http://www.susanorlean.com/articles/lady_and_tigers.html

Follow-up to crazy tiger lady: cats seized

Tue, Nov 11, 2003

By WAYNE PARRY, Associated Press Writer

JACKSON, N.J. - Animal welfare workers were rounding up 24 Bengal tigers from a private sanctuary early Tuesday, culminating a battle that began after a 430-pound tiger was found roaming the suburbs.

• Tigers Only Preservation Society - official site

New Jersey officials got a court order to remove the animals after it determined they were being poorly cared for at the 12-acre Tigers Only Preservation Society, which is owned by Joan Byron-Marasek. The tigers were being transferred to a Texas animal shelter.

The saga began in January 1999, when authorities shot and killed a loose tiger wandering around a residential subdivision near Byron-Marasek's property. Authorities had tried unsuccessfully to tranquilize it.

State officials never proved the tiger belonged to Byron-Marasek, known as "The Tiger Lady," but they criticized conditions at her facility and refused to renew her permit to keep the animals.

After a lengthy court battle, her appeals were exhausted in November 2001, and a judge authorized a plan to move the animals to the Texas sanctuary.

The first of four large tractor-trailers entered the compound around 6:30 a.m. Tuesday, and crews worked to lure the tigers into individual cages.

Chris Cutter, a spokesman for the International Fund for Animal Welfare, said he did not expect much difficulty in getting the tigers to enter the transfer cages from the pen where they were being held. "They're pretty anxious to get out," said Cutter, whose group is assisting with the move.

Animal welfare officers injected the most aggressive tiger with a tranquilizer dart and may do the same for three other tigers, Cutter said.

The truck convoy was expected to leave New Jersey on Tuesday night for an 1,800-mile, 30-hour trip to the Wild Animal Orphanage in San Antonio. The tigers should be at their new home by Wednesday night.

A federal court hearing was scheduled for Wednesday on Byron-Marasek's request for some sort of relief for the loss, said Marty McHugh, director of the state Department of Environmental Protection's Division of Fish, Game & Wildlife. Her most recent attorney, Darren Gelber, did not return a phone call seeking comment Tuesday.

Byron-Marasek was at the compound when the workers arrived, but she left around 7 a.m. She did not comment, and crouched down in the departing taxi so photographers could not take her picture.

New Jersey is providing $120,000 toward the cost of the move and the International Fund for Animal Welfare, which is campaigning to end private ownership of big cats, is contributing another $120,000. McHugh said the state plans to move in court to recoup its costs from Byron-Marasek.

___

On the Net:

Wild Animal Orphanage: http://www.wildanimalorphanage.org/home.html

Copyright © 2003 The Associated Press.

Re: Follow-up to crazy tiger lady: cats seized

lopaka said:
...A federal court hearing was scheduled for Wednesday on Byron-Marasek's request for some sort of relief for the loss...
The Most Recent Definition of 'Unmitigated Gall'. :rolleyes:

New Jersey is providing 0,000 toward the cost of the move and the International Fund for Animal Welfare, which is campaigning to end private ownership of big cats, is contributing another 0,000. McHugh said the state plans to move in court to recoup its costs from Byron-Marasek.

I hope they seize everything and it all goes toward funding the above mentioned campaigne. :hmph:

Not defending her in any way, Midnight, but if you read the link I provided a couple of months ago, in her own mind she *really* loves tigers. So I don't know how much "gall" it is as just another symptom of how completely bonkers she (and most, if not all, similar 'collectors') is. They're not sadists. They're not trying to exploit the animals for money. They're just so far gone in their obsession that they have no perspective on anything, at all.

Um, that's the problem I have with her "request for relief for the loss". I took that to mean she wants monetary compensation for the seizure of the tigers, her alleged "beloved pets." I realize that there are many frivolous lawsuits in this country, but this action is among the top. What the going rate on compensation for a beloved pet that is taken from you or dies through your neglect these days?
I don't mean to aim the skeptical sarcasm at you, Lopaka. I've seen (on TV) these animal collectors who are mentally unbalanced, grieving terribly when the animals have to be taken away, and I don't question that they did not intend any harm to come to the animals and that emotionally it's devastating for the people. But I've never seen or heard of one of them whipping out the calculator to figure out how much they can claim in recompensation.

Back