• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Animal Collectors & Hoarders

Could be a slippery law. How about commercial operations in general? Would a pet shop (or boarding stable, or your breeding stable) be exempt. Have to read that law....some day!

OMG, Leaferne! That horses on fire story is hilarious!:rofl: But he's right, it does illustrate the danger of do-gooders.

Personally, I get peeved with the folks that move to the country and try to bring the city with them. There are sodium vapor "yard lights" on either side of our place, which I find very annoying. I like to see the stars. And the folks who buy houses next to the pig farm (or dairy), and then complain about the smell aren't wrapped real tight, either. But enough! I could start a new thread with this.

Author's comment: This story is humorous, but it also portrays a serious and growing problem.

Hillarious!

But seriously, FIFTY animals? I would say nuts started at Twenty...(and thats me being very generous)

Its a good thing that `somebody` is doing some genuine and sound work to protect animals.

But will the law be enforced?

FRom what I've seen, the porblem is more in the courts than in the enforcement branch. The judges just don't seem to get it. As for the number of animals, it depends on the animal. Fifty white mice are no big deal, fifty cats or dogs are a major chore (although they could be cared for in maybe 4 hours a day). I suspect that 50 horses might be a bigger chore, although not insurmountable. In a herd on decent pasture with hay (or whatever supplements-I'm not a horse person) and water, shouldn't be too bad. Of course, you'd need a lot of room. Quailfication on the cats or dogs: this is assuming that they're in kennels of some sort and not just roaming all over. It also assumes that you have nothig better to do with your life (family, friends, work).

I'm lumbered with 2 dogs, 5 cats and 2 birds, all of which I variously feed, muck out, exercise, foot vet bills for etc.

Only 1 dog and maybe 2 cats are mine. The others belong to my kids and the BF but as they're all here, someone has to look after them. It gets like Noah's Ark in winter.

Snails, now, they're grand pets. Cheap to feed, easy to catch, rarely bark and don't bite postmen. ;)

Yes.

One of my friends was bitten by a neigbours dog....

...The situation was he had about ten of the things, and had no room for them, so he used to farm them out to people who lived nearby, for their yards (I got the impression that she lived in a rough district and so they were welcome outdoor accesories.) she was comming in one night and the dog didnt recognise her....

There is not a lot to say to this tale.

but I do think a man with more dogs than housing had definate issues...

Homo Aves, you are certainly right. That's where things usually breakdown. The woman I mentioned with 70+ cats kept them in a 4 stall horse barn, with wire fencing over the windows and stall doors. There's a cate litter produced locally called Feline Pine. It breaks down from pellets to a powder, and is almost odorless. The Feline Pine powder in these stalls was almost 2 FEET deep in places. Obviously, she wasn't caring for the cats properly. If she'd given up her job, maybe she could have done better, but what's the point? BTW, rumor tells me that her employer routinely calls in the fire safety people to "condemn" her office in order to force her to clean up the papers. The backseat of her car is filled almost the roof with papers and boxes and such. Obviously, there's a strong hoarding instinct there.

Woman Charged After Animals Found In Feces, Urine

Police: Urine Running From Home's Front Door

POSTED: 3:40 pm EDT July 12, 2004
UPDATED: 7:47 am EDT July 13, 2004

GENEVA, Fla. -- A 59-year-old woman was arrested and charged with animal cruelty Monday after sheriff's deputies discovered 13 dogs, 11 cats and several birds living in a house with 6 inches of feces and urine on the floor, according to Local 6 News.

Two Seminole County sheriff's deputies responded to a complaint of animal cruelty 10 days ago at 500 Snow Hill Road in Geneva, Fla. When the pair walked up to the house, they noticed "seepage of urine" running out the front door, according to a sheriff's department report.

When the officers entered Wilda Davis' (pictured, left) home, they found the dogs and birds inside laying or walking on a floor covered with their own urine and feces.

There was no fresh water or food inside the home and several dogs had "green matter" oozing from their eyes. The food left out for the animals was covered in maggots and food moths.

Also, there were old and new bites on several of the dogs with no apparent medical attention.

Davis was reportedly given 10 days to clean up the house. When officers noticed that the conditions at the woman's house had not changed, she was arrested Monday and the animals were confiscated.

Davis bonded out of jail Monday night. She told Local 6 News that she was just trying to take care of the animals.

The community is volunteering to clean up the house this week, according to the report.

http://www.local6.com/news/3521334/detail.html

"Davis was reportedly given 10 days to clean up the house. When officers noticed that the conditions at the woman's house had not changed, she was arrested Monday and the animals were confiscated."
What?!? Are they insane? :eek!!!!: There was pee running out the door and they left them for another 10 days? Unbelievable.

Nearly 200 Dogs Seized From Two Upstate Homes

More Than 150 Dogs Found At Oconee County Home
Animal control officers have seized nearly 200 dogs from two Upstate homes.

Oconee County officials said they seized 152 dogs and one cat from a home on Playground Road near Walhalla Thursday afternoon.

Animal control officers loaded three trucks full of animals and they have made multiple trips so far.

Officers said they had to wear masks in the home because the smell was so bad.

Supervisor Scott Wilson said the animals were extremely crowded with three to four dogs sometimes held in the same 2-foot by 2-foot kennel.

"The animals, they were living in a real bad environment. As for the feces and the smell, enclosed, no ventilation, I mean, it's bad on the animals, period, to live in that, and the fact is, if we don't move them, they're not going to live," Wilson said.

Animal control officers said fleas and ticks were also a problem.

The owners could be charged with ill treatment of animals and violation of the South Carolina Rabies Control Act. They told WYFF News 4's Erin Hartness that they did not mistreat the animals and they can't believe the county took them away.

The Oconee County animal is struggling to cope with the influx of animals, asking other shelters and foster families to help.

"Right now, we are locking animals inside and outside, making one pen into two and we're just trying to make them as comfortable as possible," director Brigette Winkler said.

Elsewhere, Spartanburg County Environmental Control officials took 46 dogs from an Enoree home Thursday morning.

Spartanburg Humane Society Director Joel Warner said the dogs were living in a mobile home under filthy conditions. Warner said that the dogs were being treated for possible parvo, an unknown skin condition, dehydration and malnutrition.

Warner said that despite the conditions, he believed many of the dogs would recover and be available for adoption.

Their owners said they had rescued the dogs and were trying to start a no-kill animal shelter.

"We tend to them. We feed them. We love them, and I want to care for them and to keep them from being killed," Ann Cline said.

The Clines were previously cited for animal cruelty and having no rabies tags.

They now have four days to reclaim their dogs.

"We will sell our automobile. We will give the deed to our land, anything that we can do to get our animals back. We're gonna get our animals back," Cline said.

"We simply cannot ignore violations and we can't ignore animals being treated inhumanely simply because they think they're doing the right thing," Don Arnold, of Spartanburg County Environmental Enforcement, told WYFF News 4's Myra Ruiz.

Warner said that the influx of animals would put a considerable strain on the shelter's resources until more animals can be adopted or euthanized. Warner said currently the Humane Society ends up euthanizing about 60 percent of its animals, and will have to euthanize some animals to make room for the seized dogs.

Officials said no charges have been filed, but the Clines' home has been condemned.

http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/news/3564743/detail.html

People like these folks in South Carolina tug at my heart (or maybe I'm just feeling kindly on a Sunday morning). But they have it backwards. If you want to create a no-kill shelter (which is a definite misnomer), you start with creating the organization, then the physical plant (kennels, etc), set up vet care, and finally start to rescue animals. Poor bastards not only get fines and lose the animals, but their homes are gone too.

This is on my mind today since I'm making an adoption poster for a rescued Pit Bull a friend is fostering. We've discussed forming a rescue group (always more dogs than home hereabouts), and it's damned hard work.

Dozens Of Cats Removed From Feces-Filled House

No Charges Filed

POSTED: 6:01 pm EDT July 26, 2004
UPDATED: 7:22 pm EDT July 26, 2004

A complaint from a neighbor led police in Palm Bay, Fla., to a home reportedly covered with feces and trash and filled with dozens of cats, according to a Local 6 News report.

Officers found a woman in her 90s sleeping with her son at her feet on a mattress at a home in the 900 block of Penelope Avenue Sunday, according to a report.

Officers said the house reeked of cat urine and was covered in feces.

"You can smell it at the bottom of the road about 30 feet out," Sgt. David Weber told Local 6 News partner Florida Today.

After checking the house, officers ordered at least 40 cats into animal control custody. Also, the homeowner's mother was reportedly treated for flea bites.

Local 6 News reported that since no criminal charges were filed against the homeowner, it's likely that the he could bring the cat colony back into the house.

Investigators said no laws have been broken.

"There's almost 3 inches of cat feces all over the house," a neighbor told Local 6 News. "People shouldn't live there and it's certainly not any more sanitary for the animals either. I really question the procedures that are in place to allow something like that to happen."

http://www.local6.com/news/3579536/detail.html

There was a 'how manky is your gaffe' type programme on one of the BBCs last night. One of the cases they profiled was interesting. It was about an elderly woman in Portadown, Co Armagh. She had been a well known dog breeder and had once won Crufts. She bred poms all her life. When she was found dead her house was a nightmare, dozens of dogs, but the live ones all well cared for. But there were also up to 50 dead ones, which she had carefully wrapped up and left in random rooms, cupboards, etc. all over the house. In most cases they were either skeletons or naturally mummified by time and dryness. Just seems she would not dispose of them normally. There was also, scarily, a bedroom containing the corpse of a dead Shetland pony. It had been there at least 10 years. Naturally enough the house stank to high heaven and was a serious health hazard. However there was one room that was pristine, no dogs, corpses or litter. It was the old drawing room and was stuffed with priceless antiques, china and ornaments which were later sold for a colossal sum. The family had been very well off in the past but locals just assumed the woman was mad and had very little money. What I found interesting about it was the way she seemed to have created compartments for her life and she was sane enough to know what was valueable and kept the animals away from it. The money made on the sale was donated, as she wished, to an animal charity.

I saw that, awful wasn't it. :(

I saw it too, it was sad.

I suppose she prefered the company of animals to humans (cant blame her at times!), she did a kind of role reversal really by keeping the human visitors confined to one place, like an animal in a cage.

Just a thought.

Another 55 animals recovered from alleged hoarder

ST. LOUISa Fifty-five additional animals _ 54 cats and a chihuahua _ are rescued from an alleged eastern Missouri hoarder, bringing to nearly 300 the number of animals taken from the same woman.

The latest animals were taken yesterday from a one-bedroom apartment in Union, about 45 miles west of St. Louis. On August third, more than 230 animals were taken from a 22-acre property in nearby St. Clair owned by the same woman. Those animals included about 130 dogs, 100 cats, two horses and a mule.No charges have been filed.Union police discovered the animals as part of a continuing investigation of the woman. Police say they were in carriers stacked floor-to-ceiling, the smell in the apartment overwhelming.The Humane Society is caring for all of the rescued animals.

http://www.kctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2156183

Cat lady changes to horses in midstream

By Dave Wedge

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Self-proclaimed ``Cat Lady'' Heidi Erickson has turned her interests from felines to equines - but is being blocked from a horse-grooming gig for allegedly lying about her criminal record.

``You are discriminating,'' Erickson railed at the state Racing Commission yesterday.

``This commission does not want to hear from me at all.''

Erickson, who became the ``Cat Lady'' after dozens of sick and dead felines were found in her Beacon Hill apartment, was before the board appealing a decision by Suffolk Downs and the state police denying her a grooming license to work in the racetrack stables.

Police and track officials said the application was denied because she lied about her arrest record.

Officials say she answered ``no'' to a question about being arrested and provided the wrong Social Security number.

But Erickson claims she ``misread'' the application because she is dyslexic and told officials about her criminal record.

Erickson has open animal cruelty cases in Boston and Waltham courts stemming from gruesome incidents last year in which officials found dozens of sick and dead cats and squalid conditions in her apartments.

Erickson has filed more than a dozen lawsuits against various agencies and companies in recent years, many of which have been thrown out, and is suing the racing commission for discrimination.

Saying she has ``nothing to hide,'' Erickson says she's being persecuted because of her headline-making arrests.

``I've been working with horses all my life,'' she said. ``They're always looking for help at the stables.''

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=39487

145 Cats Found Living In Basement

Owner Says 4 Cats Multiplied

POSTED: 5:28 p.m. CDT August 18, 2004
UPDATED: 9:10 a.m. CDT August 19, 2004

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Animal control officers in Lincoln made a shocking discovery Tuesday after a neighbor called to complain about a urine smell next door.

Officers found 145 cats in a basement room of a small house.

"I'm dumbfounded. It's the lottery of cats," said Mark Contator, a neighbor.

Contator said he had no idea what was going on, but when the wind blew just the right way, the stench could knock you over.

"There were times it smelled like an ammonia spill," he said.

An anonymous complaint led animal control officers to the house where most of the cats were packed into a 12 by 13-foot room. They said the sight and smell stunned them.

"You could see a yellow stain across the concrete blocks. That's probably from urine," said animal control Officer Jim Weverka.

Cat owner Ricky Meyer and his wife live in the basement. He said that 6 years ago, he had four cats and they just started multiplying.

"The cats had more kittens and it got out of control," Weverka said.

The Capitol Humane Society said the cats are severely inbred, malnourished and diseased.

"Most of these cats should be twice the size," said Donna Bode, with the shelter.

Meyer agreed to turn over all the cats to the humane society to be put up for adoption.

http://www.theomahachannel.com/news/3664597/detail.html

Apparently not:

Saturday, 08/21/04

Conditions at breeder's home 'horrific,' vet says

By MITCHELL KLINE
Staff Writer

FRANKLIN — Some female dogs were so old their teeth were falling out, they could barely stand and had large tumors, yet they were still being bred, a veterinarian testified yesterday at Maltese-dog breeder Jennifer Siliski's animal-cruelty trial.

One dog had undergone Caesarian-section surgery at least 10 times, veterinarian Mary Fooshee said.

Fooshee described Siliski's home-based breeding operation as ''the most horrific thing I've ever seen in my life.''

During the third day of testimony in the Williamson County Judicial Center, the focus was on how Siliski treated her dogs and whether it was fair to think of the animals in her house as pets or ''animals for sale.''

Siliski is charged with 30 counts of animal cruelty involving 12 dogs and two cats that prosecutors say suffered the most.

Authorities raided her Bowman Road home on Jan. 22, confiscating more than 230 dogs and cats. The house is just outside Franklin.

Most of the animals were being kept in steel, wire cages stacked three and four levels high, earlier witnesses had testified.

Defense attorneys tried to attack Fooshee's credibility later in the day by pointing out that she had had four jobs in a short period of time.

''Isn't there a difference in the agrarian approach to animals and raising house pets?'' defense attorney Rebecca Byrd asked veterinarian Paula A. Schuerer, a prosecution witness. ''There's a difference in treatment for pets and raising animals for sale. Some things are not required for a breeder that are for a pet owner?''

Schuerer, who owns a private animal hospital and kennel in Cool Springs where some of Siliski's dogs were treated, said there was a difference: Siliski created an environment conducive to the spread of disease and infection by not keeping the cages clean.

Schuerer said she identified 15 diseases, infections and parasites on Siliski's animals.

Fooshee, who worked for Williamson County Animal Control until two months ago, described how she said 14 animals Siliski is accused of torturing had suffered.

She said some of the dogs were so dehydrated they couldn't stand up, others suffered from infections of the ear and uterus, and a pair of newborn kittens had upper respiratory infections that caused their eyes to be crusted shut.

The vet said at least three dogs were over age 13 and were still being bred, despite blindness, dental disease and mange.

''It was the most horrific thing I've ever seen in my life, cruelty cases or otherwise,'' said Fooshee, appearing to hold back tears. ''The animals were so helpless.''

In an apparent attempt to attack Fooshee's credibility, Byrd asked her to tell the jury how many places she'd worked over the past three years.

''You've had four different jobs in the last three years,'' Byrd said. ''Why do you keep changing jobs, Dr. Fooshee?''

Fooshee said she has had disagreements with her bosses and prefers to work as a ''relief vet,'' filling in for other vets who go on vacation or need extra help.

At one point in the trial Circuit Court Judge R.E. Lee Davies excused jurors to decide whether Byrd could ask Fooshee why she had been fired from Williamson County Animal Control two months earlier.

Davies said he wanted to determine whether the questioning was relevant. Fooshee said it was for ''my inability to get along with the director and for a post I had made on the Maltese forum Web site.''

Fooshee posted a message on the Web site stating that the medical records she'd kept on Siliski's dogs had disappeared. Davies said the reason Fooshee was fired was not relevant but said he would allow Byrd to enter the Web site posting as evidence because it demonstrated that Fooshee had a bias in the case.

The trial will resume at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/04/08/56235768.shtml?Element_ID=56235768

And the stating the blatantly obvious award goes to:

Woman Says Keeping 48 Cats Was Mistake

Authorities Remove Children, Felines From Home

POSTED: 11:59 a.m. EST August 25, 2004

NEW CASTLE, Ind. -- A New Castle woman says she learned a lesson after authorities removed her two daughters and 48 cats from her house.

Authorities recently made the move after determining that Margie Emerson's residence was unclean and unfit for habitation. Many of the cats were sick and malnourished, they said.

"I made the mistake of bringing in all (the) cats, and that was the problem," Emerson told RTV6's Ericka Flye on Tuesday.

The Henry County Humane Society said the home had an overpowering smell of cat urine and feces.

"I knew there was a problem when we stepped into the front room," the society's Linda Bir-Conn said. "You could smell it then."

The children, ages 11 and 14, stayed in an unclean room with many of the cats, officials said.

Emerson said she expected to regain custody of the girls this week.

Two kittens were euthanized because they were ill. The other 46 were placed in the Humane Society's already crowded shelter.

"I do not euthanize for overpopulation unless I absolutely, absolutely have to," Bir-Conn said.

Emerson said she received the cats from people who didn't want to take them to a shelter.

The society is asking the public for help because of the overpopulation. It said it needs food and monetary donations. The society also hopes people will adopt the cats, Flye reported.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/3680436/detail.html

Rotten have a page on this:

http://www.gapingmaw.com/121852/

Which has a table (with links to articles):

Code:
[b]Hall of Famers[/b]

Hanne Kaea             Omaha NE         270
Debra Rexelle           Modesto CA      212
Marilyn Barletta        Petaluma CA     196
Bonnie Kemppainen Virginia MN        155+
Beverly Hardacre      Methuen NH     150+
Anonymous              High Point NC    116+
Elizabeth Riddle       Richland PA       100+
Gloria Davis              Sarasota FL      100+
Linda Giaccio            Charleston SC   56

The article on Hanne Kaea:

270 Cats Found In Home -- Dead And Alive

58 Dead Cats Found In Freezer

An Omaha woman faces dozens of counts of animal cruelty after police found 212 live cats and 58 dead cats in her home, along with other dead animals.

Officers were chasing a suspect on foot for an unrelated case. The officers noticed a strong smell coming from a home near 41st and Ames streets. Police did not catch the suspect, but they asked the owner of the home if they could search the house.

Inside, investigators said that they found about 212 live cats. Veterinarians are volunteering their time to examine the cats. All of the animals have earmites and fleas. There are also concerns about contagious diseases. Some of the cats had to be put to sleep.

There were also 58 dead cats in a freezer along with eight other dead animals, including an opossum, dove, squirrel, pigeon and rabbits. Humane society workers confiscated the live cats, and five dogs that were also at the home.

Initially, investigators thought that there were only a few dozen cats in the home. Throughout Wednesday night, the numbers of cats, both alive and dead, climbed.

Police said that Hanne Kaea, 47, does have a license to operate a cattery, but investigators said that she was exceeding her limit. She faces several counts of animal cruelty. She was also ticketed for child neglect because her 17-year-old son was living in the home.

http://www.local6.com/news/890736/detail.html

and Debra Rexelle:

Cats found living in harmful conditions in a Modesto house

REPORTER
Ross Blackstone

PHOTOGRAPHER
KOVR 13 News

APPEARED ON
News at 6:00, THE 10:00 News (8/10/00)

Nearly 200 cats found living in one house.

It stunned even the most veteran workers. Nearly 200 cats found living in one house. In absolutely deplorable conditions. Ross Blackstone has the story.

Another 100 cats were found dead. Packed in plastic bags.

Two hundred cats were found living at a house in Stanislaus County, most in cages stacked clear to the ceiling.

Kelly Huston / Stanislaus Co. Sheriff's Dept.: "Many of the cats had no food or water, just really deplorable conditions."

Another 100 cats were found dead. Packed in plastic bags. Neighbors had no clue.

Unamed Neighbor: "We could see cats outside, but had no idea there were that many in the house."

An anonymous call to animal services led officials to the owner, 48-year-old Debra Rexell.

Kelly Huston / Stanislaus Co. Sheriff's Dept.: "It appears she tried to breed these cats and sell them on the Internet. She also says it is a hobby of hers to collect animals."

Crews wore masks because the smell was so nauseating."

Kelly Huston / Stanislaus Co. Sheriff's Dept.: "It's a combination of carcasses, urine, and fecal material all combined together."

The floor and cages of the house are completely covered in feces. Without any sunshine or air disease spread among the cats.

Dr. Deborah Greer / Stanislaus County Veterinarian: "Mostly upper respiratory problems, some viral diarrhea's."

Rexell could face animal abuse charges for each cat found sick or injured.

Rexell could face animal abuse charges for each cat found sick or injured. That's estimated to be about one hundred. She may also be charged because she does not have a license to breed or sell the cats.

In Stanislaus County, Ross Blackstone, KOVR 13 News.

Because there are so many cats, the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department is now holding them in a special facility until a judge decides their owner's future.

---------------------
If you'd like to donate supplies to help care for the cats, or eventually adopt one, call Stanislaus County Animal Services at 209-558-pets.

http://www.kovr13.com/08aug00/081000b.htm

last updated: 8/27/2004

60 Dogs Recovered From San Jose Home

Authorities Say Animals Living In Filth

Aug. 26 (ABC7) — Dozens of dogs are staying in a Santa Clara shelter this morning after they were taken from owners accused of animal cruelty.

Animal control agents gathered more than 60 dogs from this San Jose home yesterday.

Authorities say the animals were living in filthy conditions, many of them suffering from malnutrition.

Neighbors said they complained many times. But the couple that lives in the home says they were just trying to help take care of strays.

David Phillips, dog caretaker: "I make sure that the dogs are fed. Basically they look good … make sure they're fed and taken care of, cause I don't want to see no dogs go hungry."

David Phillips' fiance, who owns the home, was cited for animal cruelty for the second time. She was fined six months ago after authorities discovered she kept about 30 dogs.

This time, her house has been condemned and a judge will decide what to do with the dogs.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/082604_nw_dogs_recovered.html

Animal Neglect - 115 Dogs In Home

Dogs Seized in Honey Grove

9-2-04 - Animal rescuers discovered more than 100 Chihuahuas living inside a Fannin County home on Thursday. The 115 dogs were packed into a 3-bedroom home in Honey Grove where they suffered from severe flea allergies, malnourishment, and injuries from biting one another.

A woman who stopped by the home last week alerted Bonham animal control officials to the case. They tried to inspect the home on Tuesday but the owner, Linda Crossland, wouldn’t allow them inside. By Thursday, animal control returned with the SPCA and a search warrant. They found the dogs inside, and the 48-year-old owner living outside in her car.

Video from inside the house showed that the dogs had taken over the house. In some cases, newspapers and junk was stacked to the ceiling.

Officials say Crossland had some of the dogs since 1998. As for why she had so many dogs, rescuers weren’t sure what her motives were or whether she’d tried to sell any of the dogs.

The Fannin County Attorney will decide if the owner will face criminal charges. The dogs have been taken to a treatment facility in McKinney.

http://www.kxii.com/news/headlines/990231.html

80 dogs rescued from Erin home

Couple charged with multiple counts of animal cruelty in raid

By REGAN LOYOLA CONNOLLY
The Leaf-Chronicle

ERIN -- More than 80 dogs suffering from skin infections, open wounds and malnutrition were rescued from a home in Houston County Friday.

The dogs' owners, James and Paula Blaylock, were arrested by the Houston County Sheriff's Department and charged with animal cruelty, one count for each dog taken from the property at 1905 Clay Tomlinson Road.

James Blaylock, a soldier at Fort Campbell, told Channel 4 News he had the dogs because no one else wanted them.

"Someone has to take care of them," he told the television station as he was being put into a police car.

He declined to talk about the dogs or the raid to The Leaf-Chronicle, but officials involved in the raid said the couple claimed the dogs had been dropped off by people who didn't want them.

The operation began just after 1 p.m. Friday and was coordinated by Annamaria McCoy, president of St. Francis Animal Rescue in Erin, and David Barnes, chief investigator with the Houston County Sheriff's Department.

The Sheriff's office normally calls McCoy to investigate animal cruelty cases in Houston County. McCoy said she had gone to the Blaylock residence Sept. 7 and told them they had one week to "clean this place up and get their dogs' rabies tags."

She said she came back Tuesday, and nothing had been done.

"These people think they are taking care of these dogs and doing them a favor," she said. "There is no ... favor here."

Most of the dogs were kept in eight different pens, some of which were made of chain-link fence -- others were just made of plywood. Most of the pens did not have any type of cover to protect the dogs from the weather, and some of the pens were kept in the woods as far as 200 feet behind the house.

As many as six dogs were in each pen, and many dogs were running loose in the yard and house. The dogs ranged in size, and as many as 12 puppies -- some of them just a few weeks old -- also were rescued from the property.

Some of the dog pens had food inside and most had bowls of water, but it didn't appear to have been changed recently. The property wreaked of urine and animal feces, which was piled high in most of the pens and littered the yard and walkways.

Conditions inside the house were even worse.

McCoy said there was no furniture in the home, just a mattress on the floor, and the carpet squished when she walked through because it was so saturated with urine.

The scene was typical of animal hoarders, McCoy said, but this case was the largest raid she had participated in.

"I've rescued dogs before, but never this many at one time," she said.

Houston County Sheriff Kennith Barnes agreed.

"I haven't seen this before, not with this many dogs," he said.

McCoy said she first became aware of the problem a few weeks ago when neighbors called the Sheriff's Department to complain about the dogs, which killed and ate 12 of their cats.

"You'll hear of dogs killing cats, but not for food," McCoy said. "These dogs killed these cats because they were hungry. They ate the cats."

In a shed behind the house, at least two large bags of dog food were kept, but McCoy said the animals likely were fed only recently since she served the Blaylocks with a warning last week.

Sheriff's deputies took Paula Blaylock to jail shortly after they served the arrest warrants. James Blaylock stayed at the residence, helping deputies and St. Francis Animal Rescue volunteers collect the dogs. He was taken to jail after some of the dogs were collected.

Volunteers gathered up the puppies and nonaggressive dogs living in the house first and took them to Houston County Animal Clinic to be evaluated by Dr. Louis Anderson.

Anderson said most of the dogs were badly infected with demodectic mange, and many dogs were so diseased they had to be put down.

"It is a parasite that gets down in their hair follicle and irritates the skin," he said. "This is not my cup of tea. We like to treat all the animals that are brought into the clinic, but we can only do so much."

Because the volunteers had limited resources, the dogs had to be collected in crates and taken to the vet's office in shifts. McCoy said animals that were badly infected with mange or that were too aggressive to treat would have to be put down.

"If they are aggressive, they won't let us give them the care that they need, so we can't get them well enough to be adopted out," McCoy said. "Anything that doesn't have the mange we can hold at the shelter until this matter is settled."

Anderson said some of the dogs are healthy enough to be adopted.

"Most of the puppies look OK," he said. "I hope there will be some that can be saved."

Kathleen Price, a volunteer with St. Francis Animal Rescue, said the situation was the worst she had seen.

"Most people who live out in the county have a lot of dogs, but this is out of control," she said. "They are suffering, and they look pitiful. It's fine to take in one or two, but why keep inbreeding them with the same health problems? You just can't be kind and put a dog through this."

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/news/stories/20040918/localnews/1258403.html

One thought: What are the historical/literary precidents for this? It can't be a modern 'disease' but I can't think of anything.

I dunno, Emps. This is perhaps the first time in human history where we've had a culture with enough wealth and leisure to do this sort of thing.

hedgewizard: Quite possibly - that would be an interesting finding in itself.

-----------------
350 reptiles found in man's home

20sep04

A MAN who kept hundreds of of reptiles in his suburban home faces a lengthy jail sentence if found guilty of cruelty or importing exotic animals.

Snake-handler Bradley McDonald kept more than 350 reptiles in his Kingsgrove home, but only 184 of them survived his care.

The RSPCA said 170-200 more animals, including snakes and lizards, were found dead inside Mr McDonald's property on Saturday.

He now faces two years' jail and a ,000 fine for each dead animal, as well as a 10-year jail sentence and 0,000 fine if found to have breached the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act, authorities said yesterday.

Investigations into the cause of the animals' deaths were continuing yesterday and Mr McDonald had not yet been interviewed, an RSPCA spokeswoman said.

"We haven't formally spoken to the owner of the home yet but he has made contact with us and we will be interviewing him later in the week," she said.

Officers from the RSPCA, National Parks and Wildlife service, the police, Australian Customs Service and the Department of Environment and Conservation carried out the raid on the St Albans St property.

They found hundreds of snakes, as well as lizards, iguanas, goannas, frogs and three baby crocodiles. Most were native but the collection also included several exotic snake species, which is banned under animal licensing laws.

Many of the creatures were dead, found stuffed into two refrigerators, while those which had survived were in poor condition because of lack of food and water.

Mr McDonald, a lift maintenance worker in his 30s, was believed to have been away in Queensland for a week, but has returned.

Yesterday two vehicles - including a Toyota Landcruiser bearing the licence plate "SNAKES" - were parked in the overgrown frontyard, while the backyard was crammed with rubbish, empty boxes and an old refrigerator.

Mr McDonald was not at home yesterday and did not answer calls to his mobile phone.

Neighbours said he was rarely seen in the area, with one saying she believed he only used the home as a storage facility for his animals.

He also worked as an on-call snake-handler for the NPWS, and was often called to remove snakes from Sydney homes, a spokeswoman for the service said.

She said Mr Mcdonald was thought to have had licences for several of the snake species found in the home but it was illegal to keep exotic species such as corn snakes, which were also found.

"We don't know where the snakes came from but we know he did have some licences and the service will be checking on whether he has breached any of the license conditions."

Most of the surviving animals were in care yesterday, many needing medical treatment before homes at wildlife centres are found.

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,10816226%5E421,00.html

Emperor said:
Cat lady changes to horses in midstream

By Dave Wedge

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Self-proclaimed ``Cat Lady'' Heidi Erickson has turned her interests from felines to equines - but is being blocked from a horse-grooming gig for allegedly lying about her criminal record.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=39487

She really needs therapy not court time:

Just what she needs: More kitties! Cat lady sues to clone

By J.M. Lawrence
Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Cat Lady Heidi Erickson wants to clone her doomed colony of 42 ringworm-ravaged Persians before the state euthanizes and incinerates them, according to court papers.

Erickson argues she has the right to collect the precious DNA she spent years breeding in her champion pack and is still battling to save their lives against the Department of Agriculture's August declaration that the cats pose a public health hazard.

``Why is the state doing this? Why is everything so against saving these cats?'' the cat breeder asked yesterday after winning another reprieve for the cats until Oct. 15 so she can appeal a judge's refusal to stop their euthanasia.

Superior Court Justice John C. Cratsley rejected Erickson's claims of ``heightened property interest'' in keeping her animals alive for DNA collection and refused to reconsider his earlier ruling backing state officials' power to wipe out the colony.

The cats were seized in May 2003 from Erickson's former home in Watertown and are held in quarantine at the Animal Rescue League's Pembroke shelter. Ten of her seized Persians have already died, she says.

The league's vets contend the remaining cats aren't responding to treatments for ringworm and are too sick to handle any more drugs. In court papers, the league says it has spent more than 0,000 to care for the animals.

Animal cruelty charges are still pending against Erickson over the 60 dead cats seized from her Beacon Hill home.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=46525[/quote]

Cops Say Mom Kept 100+ Pets In Smelly Animal House

POSTED: 8:02 am EDT October 13, 2004
UPDATED: 7:27 am EDT October 14, 2004

YONKERS, N.Y. -- Yonkers police were investigating a report about fighting dogs being raised in a two-story apartment house. What they found was 97 cats, 7 dogs, several reptiles and a sea gull living with four young children and their mother.

The woman in the house, 35-year-old Patricia Nichols, was charged with attempted assault, menacing and endangering the welfare of a child.

Police Chief Charles Gardner says the place smelled "like a dead body."

Child Protective Services took custody of the children. The animals were turned over to the Yonkers Animal Shelter.

Although police did not know why the woman kept all the pets, Yonkers Parks Commissioner Mitchell Tutoni said that the woman may have been paid 0 a month to house the cats. Tutoni said a self-proclaimed animal rescuer had been visiting area animal shelters and adopting cats that were due to be euthanized. The animal rescue person was bringing the cats to the Hawthorne Avenue apartment house.

-------------------
© 2004 by The Associated Press.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/3805083/detail.html

done with the consent of the animal rescue I see....

(well, to be fair, maybe they did not know what was going on, but our local sanctuaries personaly check any people who wants to adopt.)

Back