• Hello everyone, we will rebooting the web server on Sunday February 17th 2019 at 1800 (6pm) GMT / 1300 (1pm) EST to apply some server updates.

We will also be applying some updates to the forums software.

This will result in approximately 30 minutes of downtime

Animals 'Naming Themselves'

escargot

Beloved of Ra
My Border Terrorist Evangeline can even spell words now. I once said to my son, " Could you take the D O G for a W A L K " and she knew exactly what I`d said and immediately ran into the hall to fetch her L E A D and B R A ......
Yup, we had 'walk', 'The W Word', 'Wubsies' and so on, all of which the mutts learned. They also knew I was planning to take them out in the summer when I put on socks or even approached my sock drawer, and also when I walked near where I kept my long shoe horn to put on my old dogwalking trainers.

Scribbles

Ephemeral Spectre
Our staffy checks out what shoes I've put on when I come downstairs. He knows which ones I wear for walkies (elicits excitement), for shopping(elicits a sulk), for curling up with him on the sofa (elicits tail wags).

We have a black cat which we called Poppet. I thought it was such an original name! Ha. There's loads of cats called Poppet.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
In her later years, my mother had two cats -- Felix and Bimbo. Felix always responded to his name but Bimbo never answered to his, although he would respond to Kitty or KitKat. When my mother died, Felix moved in with my sister and Bimbo came to live with me. I thought the name Bimbo was undignified so I gave him one with more gravitas -- Chester. He learned his new name very quickly and always answered to it. Perhaps he never liked the name Bimbo and just chose to ignore it. Chester was seven years old when he arrived in my home, so his age was obviously no impediment to learning a new name.

catseye

For the greater good
Teal knows the walk pattern is different when I wear my work uniform to when I wear civilian clothes.

But she surprised me yesterday. I was thinking of taking her for her afternoon walk at 2 (I had to be at work for 3). Found my rota had changed so no need to walk her until her usual walk time of 3.30. Yet at 2, she was pinging up and down ready to go out, even though it was a bit early. There's only the pair of us in the house and I hadn't said out loud what I was planning.

This is now verging on the 'psychic animals' territory. Back to 'animal names', please.

Ghost In The Machine

Abominable Snowman
Court case reported in York Herald, July 20th, 1861. Plaintiff, a farmer called William Nattress, was my great uncle x 4, is how I found this story. Dog stolen by soldier - judge tries to settle the matter by bringing dog into court and calling both names, to see which it responded to. Glad to see my relative won - even though the dog didn't care what it was called:

"NATTRESS v. PIE

This action was brought for the recovery of a dog, which it was alleged had been illegally detained by the defendant, who is a mess-master at the Barracks. The plaintiff resides at Kelfield, and is a farmer, and he, along with several other witnesses, described a dog which he had lost named “Charley”. The defendant contended his dog was named “Sam”; that he had bought him off a man named Burton, who is the Leeds guard, for 15s., and that he was doubtful about the identification by those opposed to him. The dog was let loose in Court, when evidently “Sam” and “Charley” were synonymous to him, as he answered to each call. Verdict for plaintiff."

catseye

For the greater good
One of the cats was outside, sitting on the wall in the snow. I opened the door, shouted 'oy, tosspot, get inside in the warm!' Cat ran round house and slunk in through window.

Cat's name is Corvo. Not Tosspot. Although I may now change it.

catseye

For the greater good
A mate had a cat called Boo, he was out in the back st shouting for it
when a drunk looked round the corner and shouted "And Boo to you to"
We had a horse called Boo. I was out in the field calling for him when someone came up behind me and said 'that's the least effective surprise I've ever seen'. Which, oddly, made me jump!

And, more in keeping with the thread, I could never ever think of that horse as 'Boo'. In my head he was always 'Mister'. Boo just didn't suit him!

Ghost In The Machine

Abominable Snowman
Argh! One of my favourite forums has “funny”, “like” and “interesting “ buttons.... sometimes I really miss them!
I'm on a forum with those buttons (and a few more) and if I really find a post annoying, instead of hitting (Disagree), I hit (Educational). It seems more insulting, somehow.

Ibis

Life is like a box of paints.
I wish there was a "this made me laugh really hard" button. If I didn't use the "Like" button, many of my responses would resemble this:

Nobody else has posted it so far ...

View attachment 14597
I'm on a forum with those buttons (and a few more) and if I really find a post annoying, instead of hitting (Disagree), I hit (Educational). It seems more insulting, somehow.
:rollingw::rollingw::rollingw::rollingw::rollingw::rollingw::rollingw::rollingw::rollingw:

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
My brother used to have a dog called Moses. When he was a puppy he slipped his lead so my mum ran after him. He went into so.e bushes at which point my mum started shouting Moses into the bushes. Unfortunately they were not on fire.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
My brother used to have a dog called Moses. When he was a puppy he slipped his lead so my mum ran after him. He went into so.e bushes at which point my mum started shouting Moses into the bushes. Unfortunately they were not on fire.
Did the bushes part eventually, letting the dog out?

catseye

For the greater good
When I first met my dog (as a newborn puppy), I waited for a name to suggest itself to me.

Two came through, 'Teal' and 'Rook'. Probably because, as one of her mother's owners suggested, she has a feather marking on her face.

Settled on Teal as it holds a reminder of her mum's name. Still like the name 'Rook' though. One day...