• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Animals Sensing What We Can't ('Psychic' Animals; Animal Pre-Cognition)

Redfern

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've tried searching for this topic but couldn't find it, so mods feel free to move as necessary. :D

Over the last year and a half that I have had my dog he has reacted in a very odd manner on three different occasions. The first one was that myself and my daughter was watching Paranormal Activity cuddled under a duvet. All of a sudden the dog started acting in a very strange manner, he started to manically sniff the quilt. It was as if a stranger had been in and had left the room. He wouldn't leave it alone for about 15 minutes. It went from that to watching something out in the hall. He just stood and stared with his heckles up. After the film was over he went back to his normal laid-back self.

The second and third times were very similar, he would stand and stare at the same place in the living room and would growl. The first time it happened he would attempt to approach the area but would stop short and skirt around it, even to the point of walking over furniture to avoid it. We checked the area and it was a good degree colder than the rest of the room and was away from any drafts. The second time he just stood and growled before running out the room and hiding in the bedroom.

As a aside note the flat I live has, since I moved in suffered quite a few very odd things that have been witness by more than one person.

I'd be interested to hear of any other storied of pets picking something up that may or may not be there.

I'm not sure wether I've posted this before or not; if I have, apologies for the repeat!

In the late 70's our mongrel (GSDxlab?) raised her hackles and started growling at a particular spot in the corner of the living room. About 9 o'clock in the evening it was.

Late 90's; another dog, a purebred German shepherd this time did exactly the same thing; growling, raised hackles, at the very same spot; as far as we could remember at the same time too.
The two dogs had never met; Wags was long dead before we got Freya; they didn't even live with other dogs that 'overlapped' if you know what I mean.

It was very spooky!

One of the dogs of a guy I was at school with used to randomly decide to 'guard' areas of the house sometimes, particularly a corner of the front room.

He also decided one year to put a stuffed womble under the christmas tree and guard that :lol: but usually it was just like a space.

We always say that the animals are doing it as a joke, to scare us and then laugh at our gullibility :D
On another note, cats love staring at strange spots and even following with their head and eyes the 'thing' around. Which always makes for interesting tactics.
They certainly pick up stuff we can't, because they are tuned into different things than we are.
Animals know well in advance about earthquakes or when there 'parents' come home or they know when we are upset or even pregnant. Be it due to a smell, air pressure, quantum entanglement, ionic changes in the air, minimal temperature changes, ability to feel vibrations that we can't or [who knows] even ghosts.
But the joke theory is still one of my favourites. 8)

I don't have a dog but I've been told by those that do that they react to their owner's moods. If you feel a bit anxious about something, the dog may become restless in sympathy, reinforcing the idea that there is something to be anxious about, even when there isn't.

The film Paranormal Activity uses in its sound, infra sound below 10hz I believe, which can't audibly be identified by humans. Low level infra sound can be detected by animals (hence why some animals can detect earthquakes before they happen and so on).
in humans Infra Sound can cause feelings of fear, dread, and as if something supernatural is happening.

Maybe this is what is winding your dog up? Do you have air conditioning units or a fan on? all of these can produce noise humans cant detect.

or it may just be a good old fashioned ghost! :D

Dingo667 said:
On another note, cats love staring at strange spots and even following with their head and eyes the 'thing' around. Which always makes for interesting tactics.

The last flat I had in Brighton was part of an ex-hotel, built in Regency times.....my two cats used to freak me out when they followed the same invisible thing across the room.

cheeky381 said:
The film Paranormal Activity uses in its sound, infra sound below 10hz I believe, which can't audibly be identified by humans. Low level infra sound can be detected by animals (hence why some animals can detect earthquakes before they happen and so on).
in humans Infra Sound can cause feelings of fear, dread, and as if something supernatural is happening. Maybe this is what is winding your dog up?

Could be, but we're a bit of a nut for this type of film and it's the only time he's ever reacted in such a manner. Odd.

Do you have air conditioning units or a fan on? all of these can produce noise humans cant detect.

No fans or air con either. :confused:

:!: maybe your dog was thinking "this movie is really really bad" :D

FB_IMG_1545522016207.jpg

My brother moved into a ground floor flat that was originally part of a grand country mansion. Thick walls, open fire-place, but seemingly impossible to keep warm. He has a big padded sofa against the wall and when his son occasionally visited with a fat old labrador, the dog would somehow force himself behind the sofa and would not come out until it was time to leave.

A strange one involving two dogs - you can't see it - but the dogs can. And it moves stuff:

(now edited to remove pre-amble about not finding the correct thread - thanks to whoever consolidated the threads)

When I was young, probably up until about the age of 16, we only had 'pets' that were not 'furry/hairy' due to allergies, so no cats, dogs, rodents etc.
But we did have at one time some fish in a tank, a tortoise (or maybe 2?) and more than one budgie (not simultaneously, one replaced a previous one).
Anyway, this is about the budgerigars, or more specifically 'Jimmy', a green budgie that was really rather friendly and well-behaved (the previous one was very 'bitey').
Now to understand why I think Jimmy had some kind of powers of pre-cognition that appeared to be above the levels of regular avian intellect you have to know these bits of information;

- My father worked in a job in the film industry which meant that he didn't have a regular schedule, other than coming home from work
at some point - his hours were not fixed and were dependant on whatever production he was working on, which were usually 'on location' so could be anywhere in the country. Some productions he worked on required him to stay away, sometimes for several days or more.
- This was in the days when there were no mobile phones and the only line of communication into the house was the 'landline' telephone which sat on one of those little tables in the hallway to the front door - when it rang everyone in the house could hear it - and dad would never phone to advise of what time he would be home.
- As such, mum would cook dinner for 6pm (ish) and if dad wasn't home in time his dinner would go in the oven.
- Also, dad's job meant that he was always driving different vehicles home, using whatever vehicle was being used for filming, so he would come home in anything. Came home in the first pre-production Range Rover once in the late 60s - that was mind-blowing at the time. But like I say, it could be anything he would drive, from new cars being used in adverts, to military vehicles, ambulances, period vehicles, 'yank tanks'.....whatever.
- We lived in a busy residential area of northern London (Edgware) so it wasn't like we were in some quiet, countryside area.

Now we could guarantee that we knew when dad was about 10 minutes away from arriving home as Jimmy the budgie would start excitedly jumping about inside his cage, whistling and chirping, and tapping his beak against the cage bars and his mirror.
This was a behaviour that he did not exhibit at any other time.
It was such that it was a common phrase in our house "Put the kettle on - Jimmy says dads on his way home".
Even on the times when dad was on his way home unusually early (like when a day of filming would be cancelled due to the weather or something) and might turn up back at home at lunchtime, Jimmy would know.

It led us to believe that Jimmy was indeed 'psychic' in some way. There was no other way of explaining it. If there was some routine to my dads work and he came home at the same time and in the same vehicle, every day, then I could accept that there might be some other 'trigger' that set Jimmy off at the same time every day. But it was most strange.

Last edited:
Here are five dogs that were scared of something their owners couldn't see. Could it be that these dogs are sensing something paranormal?

5 Dogs That Saw Something Their Owners Couldn’t See

Last edited by a moderator:
5 Dogs That Saw Something Their Owners Couldn’t See
Same thing my cats did when I lived in a (dreadfully) haunted apartment, I would be in the living room watching something on the tv, the cats would run into the kitchen and I could see them standing up on their back legs, smelling something, then following it around the room, something that I could not see.
What frightened me was when they would dive under the couch and were too scared to come out!

I'll never forget the old building I lived in when I was young and single - I've posted about it here before. Lived there for 10 years, always busy working and going out, so I didn't notice things right away. Had a few cats, happy little animals. At first I didn't realize that they were following something strange around the apartment, I thought they were chasing a fly or something. But whatever it was started to frighten them. Right after I moved in, my best friend slept over on the couch, she woke me up screaming in the middle of the night, she said a woman in a long white dress woke her up trying to tell her something. My boyfriend was having a nap on a sunny Sunday morning while I was cooking lunch in the kitchen, the cats were with me. He kept coming into the kitchen to ask me what I wanted, why I kept waking him up, I told him he must be dreaming because I was busy cooking. Then he came running into the kitchen to tell me there was a woman standing in the bedroom doorway, he described the same woman, tall in a long white dress with her light hair pulled up on top of her head. Over the years quite a few people saw her, I never did. But I would wake up hearing what sounded like someone breathing in the bedroom when I was alone, that shook me. My brother moved in, but moved right out after he saw her. There were quite a few apartments in the building, and I noticed that tenants would no sooner move in, than they were moving out again. Two men and their dog moved in, and a few weeks later I saw them moving out, so I asked why they were leaving - they said their dog didn't like the place, and they were scared themselves because they had seen 'smoke' in their living room. I moved when I got married, and we are living the same area - one of these days when I walk past that old building if I see one of the tenants outside I'm going to ask them if that woman is still there!
And I wrote about this before also - an elderly woman living around the corner told me the history of the house, that a woman had hung herself in the attic years before, and my apartment was right underneath that attic. Gives me the creeps to this day just thinking about it!

My other cats, (passed away now) used to sit for hours at the top of the basement stairs, listening to something. They didn't like it down there, and would only go downstairs to use the litter box.

The "new" cats also sit and listen, but not as intensely, and they even hang out down there sometimes.

I've had some weird stuff happen at this house, which I'm sure I've posted about on here before.

Just remembered something my brother said, when he lived with me in that old building - he was scared out of his mind because many nights as he was sleeping, the blankets would be yanked down all the way to the bottom of the bed. He would pull them back up again, holding onto them, and again they would be ripped right off him to his feet. Said he was petrified.
One night, he came home late and went to bed, only to be woken up by someone coming into the apartment, closing the door, and walking up to his closed bedroom door. Of course, he assumed it was me, got up and opened his door - only to see this woman in the white dress standing there. He ran to my bedroom where I was sound asleep.
Not long after, he moved out. He and I were talking about this not long ago, he said he has never had anything like that happen to him again.

My other cats, (passed away now) used to sit for hours at the top of the basement stairs, listening to something. They didn't like it down there, and would only go downstairs to use the litter box.
Our cat, Daisy Mae (no longer with us!), didn't like the basement of the house we presently live in either. We live on the 2nd floor of a 2 family house, our washer was in the basement. She would come down to 'help' me load the washer, but couldn't wait to go back upstairs. Odd because I'm not thrilled with this basement either, the rest of the house is fine though, but when the washer broke down we didn't bother replacing it, I don't miss going down there!

She would come down to 'help' me load the washer, but couldn't wait to go back upstairs. Odd because I'm not thrilled with this basement either

Yes, same here.
I hate doing laundry at night, and I can't wait to get out of there myself! Always feels like someone is staring at me in a not friendly way. It's not so bad during the day, but the bad feelings are way way stronger at night. In fact, I don't even like doing dishes after dark, as my back will be to the stairway.

It's weird, now that I contemplate it. It comes and goes. It isn't always creepy, even at night. But sometimes I can hardly sit with my back to the kitchen, because the stairs are there.

Back