• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Animation

Only saw a handful of eps. on the Beeb, but Ralph Bakshi's retread (well, he was at least involved as a producer) of Mighty Mouse seemed to be another in the mold of Ren & Stimpy: a cartoon that goes way beyond the call of duty in providing gags that only the grown-ups will appreciate, but which the schedulers assume is meant for kids just because it's a cartoon. Linear-minded dolts.

And then there's The Powerpuff Girls: it's variable -some eps are definitely on a par with Barney for depth and adult appeal, but then they turn around and do eps that you cannot imagine any kid fully appreciating -like the one where one of the Powerpuff's becomes convinced that she's Mojo Jojo and rips the piss out of his tendency to repeat and paraphrase himself to the nth degree, and there's another ep. where nearly every single line -and most of the plot- is a Beatles reference!

Intestingly, guess who was the main force other than Ralph Bashki on those new Mighty Mouse cartoons? None other than John Krisfalusi, creator of Ren & Stimpy!

Spookyangel said:
TV series: The Simpsons, The Flintstones, Scooby Doo, Willo the wisp, Henry's cat (that little girl doing impressions of a foghorn makes me laugh every time lol), any cartoon with Marvin the Martian in it :D, Spiderman.

Willo the Wisp has just been released on DVD:

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000B ... ntmagaz-21

Review:
www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59090

It also sounds like there is going to be a new series starting on Playhouse Disney.

Old:
www.imdb.com/title/tt0121044/

New:
www.imdb.com/title/tt0391707/

Zygon~ said:
Teen Titans (worth watching for the titles and title song alone!);

LOL - yes it is ;)

Anyway out on DVD soon:

Teen Titans Season 1 in February

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Teen Titans: The Complete First Season for 7th February 2006 priced at $19.98 SRP.

Episodes are presented in 1.33:1 Full Frame with English, French and Spanish audio (Stereo Surround) and subtitle options. Extras (if any) are TBC.

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59260

Its an interesting take on it but they can't really go as dark as they could in the comic and I was disappointed with Brother Blood.

Nothing beats * and I mean nothing!* Cow & Chicken and I am Weazel!
The red Guy, (Prevelant in both) Larry Addler *injoke* is excellent and the humour is tops! Beats the shit out of that Fortean subscriber Japanese Manga/Hentai shit anyday.
I despise the old Warner Bros cartoons simply because of Mel Blanc's repetative and irritatingly narrow voice talent (?). His voice pisses me off. *Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh shaaaaadddaaaaaapppp!* The Les Dennis of the Hollywood genre.

Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Dexter's Lab, Edd, Ed and Eddie, That one about the home for imaginary friends, *Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/fosters/index.html, The Grim adventures of Billy & Mandy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Mucha Lucha, The origianal Woody Woodpeckers, Jabber Jaws, Josie & The Pussy Cats, Original Droopy, Fairy Godparents *or something* and some I can't recall right now, But I remember too that Arthur, King of Camalot *He's a rinky dink dink of a guy* "Sire"!
The Moomins 3d before Japs took it over from the Netherland team and turned it into the typical Manga-esque crap animation and bad styalised drawings so often seen in that genre.
TrapDoor is classic!!!!
Can you tell I have a young daughter ? lol!

You ain't seen funny animation until you've watched Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Sealab 2021 and Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

Beats the shit out of that Fortean subscriber Japanese Manga/Hentai shit anyday.

You're cruisin' fer a bruisin' !

It's a shame the Avengers animation is a bit shonky, if it had the budget of most Japanese movies (Final Fantasy 7 comes to mind...) it'd be excellent. Someone didn't do their research properly as well, artillery and machine guns at the beginning look like WW1 models.
Not bad though, voice acting is spot on.

unfortunately, beyond the catchy themetune, Hong Kong Phoey doesn't really hold up for me, and you may find that the retro-nostalgia novelty wears off pretty darn quick after a couple of minutes of the first episode, so, buy with caution.

I recently aquired the entire Moomins series on DVD. The eighties fuzzy felt style animation one, not the anime one. Gorgeous, hauntingly nostalgic and still great. My son is a year old. Totally hooked.

http://www.geocities.com/moomin_trolluk/

The DVD has all 100 or so episodes on it.

Oh, and Danger Mouse, strangely, holds up too as does Dogtanian and the three muskerhounds, unlike Willy Fog (IMHO).

And Dungeons and Dragons. If you thought Uni crying "Bobby" was irritating when you were a kid, my word... don't leave sharp implements or semi-automatics lying around when you watch this one. Basically, if this were re-done for modern audiences today it'd be called "Teen Titans". Teen titans is a great show, but it has a similar dynamic (albeit a more dynamic dynamic).

And an interesting buy was G-Force in place of Battle of the Planets.

One show I WISH they'd bring out on DVD is the puppet series "Starfleet: Bomber X". not a cartoon, but still, a kids show that was on most saturdays and had me hooked more than Terrahawks etc.

Back to the wonderful world of animation again and another show I loved but haven't seen since was Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys, which was a great animated show and has no DVD release nor plans for. and Lastly, Mysterious Cities of Gold.

Yeah Cities of Gold and Starfleet are on my want list.

I do think its odd what is and isn't released - I suppose it all depends on the licenses.

You can usually find me in front of an episode of Home Movies, King of the Hill, Family Guy, or Daria. I used to love Monkey Dust but I can't find it online. I guess I'll have to buy the DVD. Film-wise I like Pink Floyd's The Wall (the animated bits of it count, right?), Ice Age, Final Fantasy, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and probably some others that I can't think of now.

The Batman & Teen Titans Season 2 DVDs in September

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD releases of The Batman and Teen Titans Season Two sets for 26th September 2006 priced at $19.98 SRP each. Each two-disc set includes all 13 episodes from the second season of the respective animated shows.

Features on The Batman: The Complete Second Season include:

• * 1.33:1 Full Frame
    * English, French and Spanish audio (DD2.0 Stereo) and subtitles
    * Catching Up with...The Batman: Inside Season 2 - Have you been missing out on the action packed adventures of The Batman? Get caught up on the events of Season One and take a peek at what’s coming up for The Dark Knight!

Features on Teen Titans: The Complete Second Season include:

• * 1.33:1 Full Frame
    * English audio
    * Catching Up with...Teen Titans - Get The back story on your favourite group of teenaged super heroes and check out what friends, foes, and fights they have had in Season Two

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=61636

Warner purrs for Thundercats
'80s animated series heading to bigscreen

It's Thundercats, ho! at Warner Bros.
Studio has optioned a script by tyro scribe Paul Sopocy to turn the popular 1980s animated series and toy line into a CGI-animated feature.

Warner-based Paula Weinstein will produce through her Spring Creek Prods. banner, along with Dick Robertson and Lew Korman.

Property revolves around a group of humanoid cats (with feline names like Lion-O, Tygra, Panthro and Cheetara) who must flee their planet of Thundera after it's destroyed. Once crash-landing on another planet, Third Earth, they must thwart Mumm-Ra, an evil sorcerer, bent on killing them off.

Sopocy has written the script as an origin story expanding on the major heroes and villains from the animated series, with the plot focusing on Lion-O coming of age as the leader of the Thundercats.

Project was brought to Warner by Palek Patel, VP at Spring Creek. Dan Lin is overseeing the pic for Warners.

The Thundercats franchise began in 1983 and spawned several animated series, with the most recent airing on Cartoon Network, a toy line produced by LJN and comicbooks published by Marvel and DC imprints. Warner Bros. has owned the rights to the animated series since acquiring Telepictures Corp. in 1989.

Studio's recently been bitten by the nostalgia bug, pacting with Joel Silver to produce a live-action "He-Man" movie, based on the toy and cartoon franchise, as well as a feature based on the DC comicbook "Teen Titans," a junior Justice League.

SOURCE

Just found this good little stop motion film, after watching that Gnome short film I posted over on the Folk Horror thread, I was in the mood to find some other unusual stop motion films, and as the film is weird but didn't quite seem to fit the Folk Horror thread, I thought this old thread deserved to be revived!

I like Richard Williams independent animation, of course world famous for Roger Rabbit but also with extensive animation work all around. He also did work on the Thief and the Cobbler, which is pretty cool in it's original version (it's official release is a bowlderized version after the film was taken away from him). Here's a good clip to show what he can do:

And the Thief Archive on YouTube has the Recobbled cut, which tries to restore as much as they can from the original vision Mr. Williams had: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheThiefArchive

He sells something called the Animator's Survival Kit, which I've thought often about buying.
http://www.theanimatorssurvivalkit.com/logo.html

The most recent film that I know he did is the short called Prologue, but it is downbeat and features a little bit of animated dude nudity & gore:

Richard Williams is a genius, but a mightily frustrating one in that he has so much trouble getting stuff finished. Unless it's a minute-long advert he's in trouble.

Early Man: A Stone Age Tribe living outside (where) Manchester (will be sited) are displaced by arrivisté Bronze Agers led by Lord Nooth (Tom Hiddleston) who possesses an 'Allo, 'Allo accent and a squadron of Bronze clad War-Mammoths. But young stonbeager Dug (Eddie Redmayne)and his pet wild boar Hognob (Nick Park)are not taking this lying down. Dug gets the help of bronzeager Goona (Maisie Williams) to organise the Stone Age Tribe into a Soccer team, The Brutals, to play against the Bronze City team.

Wonderful animation with puppetry replay for the football match. Plenty of visual gags, anachronisms and puns (Woad Rage headline in local paper) and a giant man-eating mallard. Truly in the tradition of Wallace and Gromit. Directed by Nick Park, Art Direction by Richard Edmunds and Matt Perry with Will Becher as Animation Director. 8/10.

This was just posted on the FB page for the Scarred For Life book (which is a great page) with the tag, ''Listerine went for the 'Stockholm syndrome' angle with its Clifford the Dragon campaign (beautifully animated by the Richard Williams studio)''. They post loads of unusual weird British TV gems. I don't remember this advert when it was shown but I liked the animation.

Back