• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anne Boleyn

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I read once, years ago, that Anne Boleyn's spectre was the most prolific ghost in Britain. She was seen all over the country. Any truth to this?

I don't know about ghostly appearances but she must have slept in, illicitly met Henry VIII at, or frequented every other pub in the south east of england if all the legends i've heard are true.

Isn't Anne Boleyn supposed to be haunting Hampton caught as well?

MaxMolyneux said:

I was at Hampton Court last week. The famous ghost there is meant to be Catherine Howard.

(Sid James lives on I see :lol: "Don't get your Hampton caught" - no offnce Max :) )

austen27 said:
MaxMolyneux said:

I was at Hampton Court last week. The famous ghost there is meant to be Catherine Howard.

(Sid James lives on I see :lol: "Don't get your Hampton caught" - no offnce Max :) )

Don't get that joke. :p

As Max is just 19, he's probably not familiar with Sid James and the rest of the Carry On crew (and maybe not with rhyming slang either, as he's a scouser!)

Hang on in here, Max, there's a lorra lorra stuff to to learn, and not all of of it Fortean!

rynner said:
As Max is just 19, he's probably not familiar with Sid James and the rest of the Carry On crew (and maybe not with rhyming slang either, as he's a scouser!)

Hang on in here, Max, there's a lorra lorra stuff to to learn, and not all of of it Fortean!

Being 19 had nothing to do with it, just that I haventheard of it. ;)

The carry on films are great in a bad pun, cheasy movie for whileing away a sunday afternoon kind of way.

Anyway back on topic.

I recall the story of the Anne Boleyn's death coach... can anyone help me flesh out the details?

The story as i remember was that on a certain night of the year you may glimpse the coach going from the tower to where she lived as a child (or something like that). the most striking things about the coach being that it was pulled by headless skeletal ghost horses deing driven by a headless coach driver with Anne sitting downin the back of the coach with her head on her lap watching the journeys progress.
It was rumoured that you would die soon after seeing the coach, or have incredibly bad luck, it's often one of the two in such legends.

dose anyone here recall that story better than I do and remember the locations involved?

Hi,

Anne Boleyn is also supposed to haunt the Tower of London where she was executed. She has been seen carrying her head under her arm.
I seem to remember that she was married to Henry VIII in the tower chapel (have to Google to get the name right..ah!) St Peter ad Vincula, and two soldiers seemingly saw a ghostly re-enactment of the ceremony there.
Having looked at a few other links it seems there is some confusion about whether they were married at the Tower or at Westminster Abbey - one site suggests there were two marriages.

A link to a site on Anne Boleyn
A link to a site giving a few details on hauntings at the Tower

She was buried in St Peter Ad Vincula, after she was beheaded. The wedding was performed in secret, but not at the Tower.

If all the haunting stories are true, we can all agree that she is a very well travelled ghost, or they are residual hauntings.

i remember reading in a book on local ghosts that Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn haunt a pub in St Albans. they definitely spent time in the area as they holidayed sometimes at Tyttenhanger Hall(nr London Colney, up the road from me). the basis for this haunting appears to be the one time sighting of am fat man in tudor era clothing. pretty conclusive, as you can tell ;)

yeah i heard that anne boleyn haunts the tower of london. i was there yesterday, and took a heap of photos, but unfortunately i can't see anything strange in any of them. *sigh*

Might people also be confused and whenever they see a young woman in Tudor dress, they automatically assume it's the most famous Tudor young woman i.e. Anne Boleyn?
Also, the headless phantom is a bit cliche, isn't it?

On the Isle of Wight, there's a high wooden bridge that crosses a narrow country road. Nearby, is a large, old farm which belongs to the Queen and is alleged to have been a home to Lady Jane Grey (the shortest reigning Queen of ol' Henry). It is said that at midnight, on the anniversary of her death, she's seen crossing the bridge. So ... the Isle of Wight doesn't have a Boleyn but a Grey!

er, my knowledge of the Tudor period is kind of shakey as for the past couple of years i have generally studied the Plantagenets but i dont think Lady Grey was one of Henry's queens. her brief reign was after the death of Henrys son Edward VI. then Mary took over and decapitated the poor girl (ex.1554) ! wasn't Anne of Cleeves marriage to old Hal the shortest (jan-july 1540)?

wifey no 1, Catherine of Aragon; followed by Anne Boleyn; Jane Seymour; Anne of Cleeves: Katherine Howard and lastly Kathrine Parr

edited for spelling

moderndayyorkist said:
wifey no 1, Catherine of Aragon; followed by Anne Boleyn; Jane Seymour; Anne of Cleeves: Katherine Howard and lastly Kathrine Parr

Divorced, Beheaded, Died;
Divorced, Beheaded, Survived.

And yes, Jane Grey was the "Nine day Queen" in between Edward VI and Mary I. There was a rather slushy film about her staring Helen Bonham-Carter.

austen27 said:
And yes, Jane Grey was the "Nine day Queen" in between Edward VI and Mary I. There was a rather slushy film about her staring Helen Bonham-Carter.

now that is an eccentric bit of casting! she played Anne Boleyn herself in that ITV drama about Henry VIII, if i'm remembering rightly. not as good as the BBC drama about Charles II tho. or that one about Mary of Scots and James I (never has a man looked so good in a jerkin as did Robert Carlisle in that one! ;) ).

Lady Grey is also reputed to haunt the Tower of London. apparently a 'vague, white shape' is said to wander about the Bloody Tower on the anniversary of her death(12th Feb.)

Thomas Boleyn, Anne's father is also said to haunt Norfolk. allegedly on the anniversary of her death every year (19th May) for a 1000 years he is supposed to do penance by crossing twelve bridges in the county during the night by cock crow, followed by a pack of screaming demon dogs. :shock: it looks like this is probably just another variation on the story of the phantom coach that is said to contain Anne. its also said that when the news came to Blickling of her brother's death an apparition of the said brother was seen being dragged by the feet, head tucked his arm, by a brace of demon horses :shock: :shock: .

i'm wondering if Henry VIII was the first monarch to employ a spin doctor to avoid looking like a complete wife murdering b*****d.

Oops! My fault! I always associate Jane Grey with Henry the Fat.

moderndayyorkist said:
Lady Grey is also reputed to haunt the Tower of London. apparently a 'vague, white shape' is said to wander about the Bloody Tower on the anniversary of her death(12th Feb.)

Poor lass! Even in death, she doesn't attract much attention.

HENRY VIII

Dear old Henry the Eight,
Oh, what a lusty, lewd lad!
He took all that he could,
Just like his old dad.

Married six times,
He took ten times as more,
Never lacking in girth,
Never lacking a whore.

Wives one, two and three
provided successions,
Wives four, five and six
were merely possessions.

When his timely end came
He died in the sack.
But at least he could say,
‘Never a woman did I lack’.

Did she have a sixthfinger according to a legend?

If all the haunting stories are true, we can all agree that she is a very well travelled ghost, or they are residual hauntings.

Residual maybe? How manyare there?

It's said she had a vestigal (stub) of a finger on her right hand, between her little and ring fingers. However, superstition being what it was, more fuss would've been made about it surely.

Back