• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Anniversaries

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Fifty years since the Woodstock Festival. There's a very good documentary about it on the BBC iPlayer at the moment (it's a PBS effort, I think) with lots of footage and "witness testimony". I had always heard it was a disaster and a miracle many weren't killed, but this doc makes a convincing case for the goodwill of people en masse making it at least a qualified success. Don't take the green acid, though.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Daily Telegraph Sports section flagged up the 100th Anniversary of Ray "Slim" Caldwell, a spitballer for the Cleveland Indians (baseball) who was struck by lightning on the mound on Aug 24th 1919. He was unconscious for five minutes but when he opened his eyes and realised he still in the diamond, he got to his feet and finished his pitch - striking out his opponent and winning the game for his team.

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/august-24-1919-ray-caldwell-struck-lightning-sparks-indians-win

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
The first episode of The Saga of Noggin The Nog by by Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin was broadcast in 1959 (11/9).

The starter of this thread left the board two years ago today (12/9).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
It was my first anniversary of being a member here on Sunday, I got a trophy point for it.

Didn't realise it was a year, thanks to all of you for being so friendly and welcoming!
Heh, I thought you'd been here MUCH longer!

I mean that in a NICE way.

Oh, please yourself. ;)

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
It was 50 years ago today (OK, yesterday...) that the Beatles released Abbey Road, the final album they completed & released before they split.

Feel old?

maximus otter

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
25 years today since The Fast Show started...

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Awa' wi' ye!
14 October 1322
Robert the Bruce of Scotland defeats King Edward II of England at Byland, forcing Edward to accept Scotland's independence.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
It's Trafalgar Day.

Roobarb (as in 'and Custard') first aired on the BBC forty-five years ago today.

It's also Julian Cope's birthday (born 1957).

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
It's Trafalgar Day.

Roobarb (as in 'and Custard') first aired on the BBC forty-five years ago today.

It's also Julian Cope's birthday (born 1957).
Just to add, there's also a rather darker anniversary that I missed:

At 9.13am on the 21st October 1966, 116 children and 28 adults perished at school and in homes at Aberfan.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
More cheerfully, 2019 is the 100th Anniversary of the Bisto Kids.

I'm surprised to learn they are only 100 years old, as they seem to date from the year dot!

Even by the 1960s, when they were just middle-aged, they seemed ancient, their horrid, disembodied faces haunting any cook with a joint on the go. Not that kind, though with their blissed-out look . . . :wide:

bisto.jpg

Last edited:

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score

At 9.13am on the 21st October 1966, 116 children and 28 adults perished at school and in homes at Aberfan.
One of the earliest news stories for me - at the time I thought that it was bad and should be remembered.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score

The news story was read out to us at Primary school (I was six) - later I heard of a well-meaning Nation sending truckloads of toys to the grieving parents.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
More cheerfully, 2019 is the 100th Anniversary of the Bisto Kids.

I'm surprised to learn they are only 100 years old, as they seem to date from the year dot!

Even by the 1960s, when they were just middle-aged, they seemed ancient, their horrid, disembodied faces haunting any cook with a joint on the go. Not that kind, though with their blissed-out look . . . :wide:

View attachment 20650
Factoid: “Bisto” is an acronym. Ten house points for anyone who knows what the letters stand for.

Browns Instantly, Seasons and Thickens in One.

maximus otter

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
On 6 December 1989, the following fourteen women were murdered at the École Polytechnique in Montreal for being women:

Geneviève Bergeron
Hélène Colgan
Nathalie Croteau
Barbara Daigneault
Anne-Marie Edward
Maud Haviernick
Maryse Laganière
Maryse Leclair
Anne-Marie Lemay
Sonia Pelletier
Michèle Richard
Annie St-Arneault
Annie Turcotte
Barbara Klucznik-Widajewicz

Memory eternal!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
On 6 December 1989, the following fourteen women were murdered at the École Polytechnique in Montreal for being women:

Geneviève Bergeron
Hélène Colgan
Nathalie Croteau
Barbara Daigneault
Anne-Marie Edward
Maud Haviernick
Maryse Laganière
Maryse Leclair
Anne-Marie Lemay
Sonia Pelletier
Michèle Richard
Annie St-Arneault
Annie Turcotte

Memory eternal!
Not exactly 'liking', more 'acknowledging'. A terrible crime.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score

Geneviève Bergeron
Hélène Colgan
Nathalie Croteau
Barbara Daigneault
Anne-Marie Edward
Maud Haviernick
Maryse Laganière
Maryse Leclair
Anne-Marie Lemay
Sonia Pelletier
Michèle Richard
Annie St-Arneault
Annie Turcotte

Memory eternal!

Well said...

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
40 years since I took possession of a Kawazaki z200 (£703 OTR), which was one of only two 200cc bikes on the market that was both a four-stroke and had one of those new-fangled electric starter button to compliment the kick-start. I use a bike every week-day and more importantly have all of my original bits still attached.

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
40 years since I took possession of a Kawazaki z200 (£703 OTR), which was one of only two 200cc bikes on the market that was both a four-stroke and had one of those new-fangled electric starter button to compliment the kick-start. I use a bike every week-day and more importantly have all of my original bits still attached.
Good grief! I suffered through the ownership of a Z200 during my impoverished student days, which would have been fifteen years or so after you got yours. Do I misremember, or did it have a cable-operated disc brake at the front? To be fair, it did everything I asked it to, including the epic journey up through the peak district and over Holme Moss from Nottingham to Bradford in the cold and wet for the Christmas holidays*. Until that one day when it died near Chatsworth House. I had fuel and a spark, but would the bloody thing start? (I miss the Used Motorcycle Guide - even if every story was made up, it caught that desperate sense of biking on a shoestring like no publication has since.)

*One of many memories that mean I savour the commute to work on two wheels here in Saigon.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Good grief! I suffered through the ownership of a Z200 during my impoverished student days.
Heh, brake cable snapped one morning as I approached rush-hour traffic - but a great first bike (I wouldn't have survived on a 250cc). Motor Cycle News (MCN) Bike of the Day in 2015 was a restored 1981 z200 on sale for nearly three grand !

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score