CyberPunk
Reaction score

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Today in 1951 a bomb explodes at the home of Harry T. Moore and Harriette V. S. Moore, early leaders of the Civil Rights Movement, killing Harry instantly and fatally wounding Harriette.

1:30 PM · Dec 25, 2019·Twitter Web App

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish Douglas Adams were still with us. Even with his aversion to deadlines, he would probably have managed two excellent books in the time since he left us. And how does something with 1981 BBC production values manage to capture my imagination far more firmly than twenty-first century computer-generated imagery? Good writing and a very human element to ground the flights of fantasy in our own experience.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish Douglas Adams were still with us. Even with his aversion to deadlines, he would probably have managed two excellent books in the time since he left us. And how does something with 1981 BBC production values manage to capture my imagination far more firmly than twenty-first century computer-generated imagery? Good writing and a very human element to ground the flights of fantasy in our own experience.

In the past they couldn’t do the flashy special effects so easily so they had to rely on good stories. Nowadays over impressive special effects are often placed in to distract us from weak storytelling.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Schrodinger's Zebra

Desolation is all I see
Reaction score
In the past they couldn’t do the flashy special effects so easily so they had to rely on good stories. Nowadays over impressive special effects are often placed in to distract us from weak storytelling.
*one million likes*

I think this is why I greatly prefer old films than modern ones. I like interesting plots, not over-the-top special effects and violence/gore.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
TODAY: In 1899, "tramp-poet" W. H. Davies loses his foot trying to jump on a freight train at Renfrew, Ontario.

His memoir, The Autobiography of a Super-Tramp mostly covers his days on the roads and rails. A great read.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
TODAY: In 1899, "tramp-poet" W. H. Davies loses his foot trying to jump on a freight train at Renfrew, Ontario.

His memoir, The Autobiography of a Super-Tramp mostly covers his days on the roads and rails. A great read.
I read that when I was 20/21. Fantastic book.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score

That's very interesting. Sadly, that sort of mishap was probably not unusual among those who rode the rails.

The rail line in the upper Ottawa Valley, which includes Renfrew, closed in the 1950s but there have been some attempts to revive it as a tourist attraction.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
This "Super-Tramp" is nothing of the kind. I've discovered his weakness. He has only one foot.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
This "Super-Tramp" is nothing of the kind. I've discovered his weakness. He has only one foot.
More of a 'super-hop'.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
TODAY: In 1902, science fiction writer Stanley Grauman Weinbaum is born. His first published story, "A Martian Odyssey," was published to great acclaim in July 1934, but he died from lung cancer less than a year and a half later.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today, April 5, 1843, Queen Victoria proclaims Hong Kong a British crown colony.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I still remember Chris Patten's daughters crying their eyes out as they left in 1997.
I stayed up to watch the handing over live on t.v. I seem to recall a tear or two from Chris Patten himself as well as a quiver in his voice once or twice.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just read that on this day twenty-seven years ago, the Waco Siege ended in an inferno that took the lives of 76 members of the Branch Davidians. Six had already died on the first day, February 28th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_siege

It doesn't seem so very long ago, but this event, like the Ruby Ridge incident before it, was to have a very long and bloody tail.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've just read that on this day twenty-seven years ago, the Waco Siege ended in an inferno that took the lives of 76 members of the Branch Davidians. Six had already died on the first day, February 28th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_siege

It doesn't seem so very long ago, but this event, like the Ruby Ridge incident before it, was to have a very long and bloody tail.
There's a chap in Melbourne who was the last person removed from the Waco compound alive, who still believes that the second coming of Christ is upon us and that Christ will be Koresh reborn. I saw him on t.v a year or two back.

Edit: A quick search and here he is: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5486389/Australian-Waco-Siege-survivor-waits-cult-leader-return-Jesus.html

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Seventy five years ago today (5 May 1945) the only American civilian WW2 casualties on continental American soil occurred ...
On This Day: Japanese bomb leads to only WWII civilian deaths on continental U.S. soil
On May 5, 1945, Elsie Mitchell and five neighborhood children were killed in Lakeview, Ore., when a Japanese balloon they had found in the woods exploded. They were listed as the only known World War II civilian fatalities in the continental United States.
SOURCE: (With Photo of Memorial):
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/2020/0...s-on-continental-US-soil/9021588346956/?otd=1

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I'd meant to post this yesterday, but I got distracted.

The fortieth anniversary of the eruption of Mt St Helens.

Facts & Figures:
https://www.livescience.com/27553-mount-st-helens-eruption.html
“Only four of the victims were known to be inside the restricted areas set up by federal and local governments. David Johnston was on duty for the USGS stationed at Coldwater II only 5 miles from the summit. There was the stubborn Harry Truman who refused to leave his lodge at Spirit Lake and was eventually given special permission to stay. And amateur vulcanologists Bob Kaseweter and Beverly Wetherald who had permission to take readings near Spirit Lake at their own risk.

The other victims, some as far as 13 miles from the mountain, were in areas considered safe.”

http://olywa.net/radu/valerie/mshvictims.html

maximus otter

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score

A timely reminder with 432 Aborigines dying in Custody/Police Custody since the last enquiry into Aboriginal deaths in custody (1991)...meanwhile, our (NSW) Police Commisioner is appealing to the high court to prevent a BLM gathering due to the fear of a second wave of the pandemic.

The oddity here is that schools have opened, shops and businesses involving the hospitality trade has opened, public transport is available and travel between some states is open...and major retail shops like Coles and Woolworths never shut.

I have formed my conclusion.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
June 11, 1993, Jurassic Park opened in cinemas and our love (or fear) for dinosaurs was rekindled all over again.