Anniversaries

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I was there at a preview! What's difficult to remember after all the repeats on TV, is how scary it was for a PG rated movie. I still think it's one of the greatest things Spielberg ever did.

Soon after its release I had a week alone with my youngest and the local cinema was showing Jurassic Park every afternoon, 50p a seat. We went several times and were not disappointed.

The place was full every day and all the kids screamed with laughter when the guy was grabbed off the toilet and shrank back and screamed when the 'raptor roared upwards through the ceiling. Great fun!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Soon after its release I had a week alone with my youngest and the local cinema was showing Jurassic Park every afternoon, 50p a seat. We went several times and were not disappointed.

The place was full every day and all the kids screamed with laughter when the guy was grabbed off the toilet and shrank back and screamed when the 'raptor roared upwards through the ceiling. Great fun!

It plays so well with an audience! Like a master conductor leading an orchestra.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Richard Whitely shuffled off the mortal coil fifteen years ago today.

EbavdrgXYAAMkOb.jpeg

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Revolting times in London.

Today in London military history, 1890: mutiny in the Grenadier Guards (and a strike of Metropolitan Police)
Posted on July 7, 2018 by mudlark121

The First Regiment of Foot Guards, (later known as the Grenadier Guards) was founded in 1656. In July 1890, the Second Battalion of the Guards ‘refused duty’ at Wellington Barracks in London – refusing to attend parade.

The protest originated in the determination of their new commander, Colonel Makgill-Crichton Maitland, to ‘bring the outfit to the peak of military excellence’, despite his apparent inexperience at ‘commanding men’. In early July 1890, he ordered the battalion to move from Wellington Barracks to Pirbright to demonstrate training drill to militia and volunteers, Due to lack of communication, some or the soldiers didn’t find out about the proposed move until shortly before the move, when they came off guard duty or returned from weekend leave.

This seems to have compounded an atmosphere of already existing resentment, as Maitland was said to have been ordering excessive drills and parades in full kit: ...

Interestingly, on the same day as the Guards mutiny, there was a sharp and brief strike among the Metropolitan Police, beginning in London’s Bow Street, which sparked rioting in the West End for two nights. Its unclear whether there was any co-ordination between the discontented among police and soldiers (though both were inspired by specific grievances, it isn’t impossible) – though the Life Guards were brought in to subdue the rioters seeking to take advantage of the police strike. ...

https://pasttenseblog.wordpress.com...r-guards-and-a-strike-of-metropolitan-police/

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
TODAY: In 1896, Charles Thomas Wooldridge is hanged at Reading Gaol for uxoricide, inspiring fellow-prisoner Oscar Wilde’s “Ballad of Reading Gaol.”

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
On July 14th 1955, a little after 4pm a severe thunderstorm occurred in the vicinity of Ascot Racecourse while a meeting was in progress. A lightning strike hit a tea stand killing one woman and rendering others dazed or unconsciou...

https://www.bmj.com/content/1/4981/1450

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
On July 14th 1955, a little after 4pm a severe thunderstorm occurred in the vicinity of Ascot Racecourse while a meeting was in progress. A lightning strike hit a tea stand killing one woman and rendering others dazed or unconsciou...

https://www.bmj.com/content/1/4981/1450
Oh, I didn't know that! Just along the road from where I was born.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
"They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables at home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam. "

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
TODAY: In 1945, French author and poet Paul Valéry, who was nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature on 12 separate occasions, dies (possibly from not ever winning the Nobel Prize).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
On this day in 1982 actor Vic Morrow and two child actors were killed when filming for the Twilight Zone in an accident involving a helicopter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Morrow

I remember it well. Later there were fascinating subsequent court reports every day in the Guardian.

The filming was taking place in illegal conditions in relation to the children, as there are strict rules about how long minors can stay on set and what time they have to go home.

Here in Britain breaking rules like that is an absolute offence. There is no mitigation. Someone would have done time here just for that.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One for those who like to look towards the heavens...
July 23 1995. Two astronomers gazing skywards, Alan Hale in New Mexico and Thomas Bopp in Arizona, almost simultaneously discover a comet.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
July 29. 46 Years ago the wonderfully talented and larger than life, Ellen Naomi Cohen, better known to the world as Mama Cass Elliot left us.

Can remember this very well. The story at the time was that she died from choking on a ham sandwich, which some some believe indicate a fat-shaming reference to pigs. She was fat so she was a pig, that sort of thing.

Eliot died in a flat in owned by Harry Nillson in Curzon Square in London. Four years later Keith Moon died in the flat in the same room, also aged 32 years. Brrr.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Can remember this very well. The story at the time was that she died from choking on a ham sandwich, which some some believe indicate a fat-shaming reference to pigs. She was fat so she was a pig, that sort of thing.

Eliot died in a flat in owned by Harry Nillson in Curzon Square in London. Four years later Keith Moon died in the flat in the same room, also aged 32 years. Brrr.

Imagine what music she would have gone on to make! From all accounts she was a wonderful person, often described as an 'Earth Mother', welcoming one and all with open arms to her home. There are many famous people in this world, but I feel that I would have liked to have known her, or at least to have met her, even for just a moment or two.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score

The ham sandwich story was a cruel urban myth, in reality Cass had a fatal heart attack, though it was down to an unhealthy lifestyle. But the way people talk it's as if she was so eager to stuff her face that she died from it. Don't believe it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The ham sandwich story was a cruel urban myth, in reality Cass had a fatal heart attack, though it was down to an unhealthy lifestyle. But the way people talk it's as if she was so eager to stuff her face that she died from it. Don't believe it.

Yup, at the time a doctor speculated about the sandwich-choking possibility because food was found in the room. Her actual post-mortem revealed no food stuck in her throat. It was incidentally done by the famous Keith Simpson.

The cause of death as a heart attack was reported at the time. That's the version I heard and I didn't know about the sandwich story until I was an adult.