Anniversaries

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Can remember this very well. The story at the time was that she died from choking on a ham sandwich, which some some believe indicate a fat-shaming reference to pigs. She was fat so she was a pig, that sort of thing.
The ham sandwich story was a cruel urban myth, in reality Cass had a fatal heart attack, though it was down to an unhealthy lifestyle. But the way people talk it's as if she was so eager to stuff her face that she died from it. Don't believe it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The ham sandwich story was a cruel urban myth, in reality Cass had a fatal heart attack, though it was down to an unhealthy lifestyle. But the way people talk it's as if she was so eager to stuff her face that she died from it. Don't believe it.
Yup, at the time a doctor speculated about the sandwich-choking possibility because food was found in the room. Her actual post-mortem revealed no food stuck in her throat. It was incidentally done by the famous Keith Simpson.

The cause of death as a heart attack was reported at the time. That's the version I heard and I didn't know about the sandwich story until I was an adult.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Black Tot Day: 31 July 1970.

The last day on which the Royal Navy issued sailors with a daily rum ration (the daily tot).

Details:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Tot_Day

Give me old-fashioned inefficiency and alcohol any day.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today, August 6, marks 75 years since the atomic bomb was dropped on the Japanese city of Hiroshima.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
“I had escaped the blast and I came to check on my friends,” he says. “I walked across this bridge and even five days after the bomb, it was covered with charred bodies. I had to step over them, but there were so many I walked on someone. The river underneath was full of people too, floating like dead fish. There are no words to describe what I felt.”

Shigemoto Yasuhiko.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
“I had escaped the blast and I came to check on my friends,” he says. “I walked across this bridge and even five days after the bomb, it was covered with charred bodies. I had to step over them, but there were so many I walked on someone. The river underneath was full of people too, floating like dead fish. There are no words to describe what I felt.”

Shigemoto Yasuhiko.
:eek::(

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
August 9, 1969. Sharon Tate, Jay Sebring, Abigail Folger, Wojciech Frykowski & Steven Parent were all brutally murdered on instruction of Charles Manson by Tex Watson, Susan Atkins & Patricia Krenwinkle.

August 10, 1968. Leno & Rosemary LaBianca were mudered by Tex Watson, Patricia Krenwinkle & Leslie Van Houten after being bound by Charles Manson.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
15th August has two notable anniversaries (amongst many)
1543 - The Jesuit Order Founded
1771 - Birth of Sir Walter Scott

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Today is the anniversary of the eruption of Vesuvius in AD 79 that destroyed Pompeii.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Today is the anniversary of the eruption of Vesuvius in AD 79 that destroyed Pompeii.
Wait, wait ... Put away the Pompeii pompoms and the fudge Vesuvius cones ...

It's now believed Pompeii's end occurred in the autumn (October or even November).

It had long been thought that the eruption was an August event based on one version of [Pliny's] ... letter but another version gives a date of the eruption as late as 23 November. A later date is consistent with a charcoal inscription at the site, discovered in 2018, which includes the date of 17 October and which must have been recently written.

Clear support for an October/November eruption is found in the fact that people buried in the ash appear to have been wearing heavier clothing than the light summer clothes typical of August. The fresh fruit and vegetables in the shops are typical of October – and conversely the summer fruit typical of August was already being sold in dried, or conserved form. Nuts from chestnut trees were found at Oplontis which would not have been mature before mid-September. Wine fermenting jars had been sealed, which would have happened around the end of October. Coins found in the purse of a woman buried in the ash include one with a 15th imperatorial acclamation among the emperor's titles. These coins could not have been minted before the second week of September.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompeii#Eruption_of_Vesuvius

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
August 31 - 23 years ago (1997) we lost Diana, Princess of Wales.
I'd never met her and didn't mourn her but was tempted to visit Chatsworth House to see the tributes, as that would have been a once-in-a-lifetime experience. As it happened I had just given up smoking a short time before Diana's death and was still miffed that Sojourner (Mars Pathfinder) had beaten me to a life long ambition ie crawling over the Martian landscape sniffing rocks.

Chatsworth. Diana.jpg

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
1st September 1939 : Germany invaded Poland, sending in 1.5 million troops as the Luftwaffe bombed Polish airfields. The attack came without any warning or declaration of war by Germany.
Great Britain and France sent Hitler an ultimatum to withdraw or face the two nations in war. Two days later Britain and France declared war on Germany.
The rest, as they say, is History.

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
So Rynner's anniversary has passed, no real mention but that's probably for the best. I'll leave the roses but drink the cognac.
Like the man sang:
The fog's liftin'
And the sand's shiftin'
And I'm driftin' on out
And Ol' Captain Ahab
Ain't got nothin' on me
So come on and swallow me, don't follow me
I travel alone
Blue water's my daughter
And I'm gonna skip like a stone

Missed it for real, this year :( Three years plus change. Take care, skipper.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Happy 100th birthday to the Theremin, played here by Leon Theremin ..

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Happy 100th birthday to the Theremin, played here by Leon Theremin ..

Every time anything spooky is mentioned Techy pretends to play this! :chuckle:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score