Anniversaries

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Oops, missed this ...

Last Sunday was the 100th anniversary of the 'sawing a person in half' stage magic trick.
Magicians mark 100 years of sawing people in half

He came, he sawed, he conquered. One hundred years ago on Sunday, illusionist P.T. Selbit put a woman in a box on the stage of London’s Finsbury Park Empire and sawed right through the wood, creating a magical classic. ...

“This took off and became the most influential and the most famous illusion, in my opinion, that there’s ever been,” said magician and historian Mike Caveney who is writing a book on the illusion.

“The magician wasn’t doing this trick to an inanimate object. He was doing it to a human being, which raised it up to a whole new level.”

In the original version, the saw went through, the box was opened and the person emerged unharmed. ...

Down the years magicians developed refinements, with the two halves pulled apart. Celebrity magician David Copperfield came up with his own version “The Death Saw” where he was the one tied down to a platform as a giant rotary blade sliced him in two. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-years-of-sawing-people-in-half-idUSKBN29K061

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

Richard Coles @RevRichardColes

It is the bicentenary of the death of John Keats in Rome, aged 25, from TB, for which he was bled, put on a diet of one anchovy per day, and had his laudanum confiscated, causing him to suffer agonies. “I have left no immortal work behind me,” he said.

7:25 AM · Feb 23, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Richard Coles @RevRichardColes

It is the bicentenary of the death of John Keats in Rome, aged 25, from TB, for which he was bled, put on a diet of one anchovy per day, and had his laudanum confiscated, causing him to suffer agonies. “I have left no immortal work behind me,” he said.
7:25 AM · Feb 23, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
There was a play about Keats' death on R4 just now.

25! TB! What a terrible tragedy, for Keats and for the world.

We don't worry about it now but it was still possible up to only a couple of generations ago.

Techy's maternal grandmother died of it in the '30s, just a year older, leaving two little girls.
An aunt of mine was sternly challenged by her family in the '50s for visiting friends where there was TB in the house. It was considered squalid and dirty by then.

See now, yer smallpox, you can get a natural inoculation, but TB: you're on yer own.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Anyway, it's our anniversary tomorrow: 15 years, for which the traditional gift is crystal. These days it's more often glass.

So that's a bottle of the finest peaty single malt, then. ;)
You could go for an Irish Whiskey

Screenshot_20210223-201926.png