• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anomalous Structures: Fort Knox (Kentucky)

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Anyone live near Fort Knox in Kentucky?

I was down a Google rabbit hole on this recently and discovered a huge area of land to the East of Fort Knox (about the size of Louisville) that seems to be completely devoid of any Google Maps activity or detail and has a very odd facility above ground in the middle. Cannot figure out what it could be. The area is in a huge loop of highways and appears to just be forest except for a few paths up to the facility in the middle.

Presume it is a military training facility but if Fort Knox was in fact a front for some vast underground facility then holding it under this large area would be ideal.

The strange facility seems to be composed of what I would describe as dozens of outdoor cinema screens all lined up in rows, about 30-40 of them. Presume it must be some kind of solar energy panels maybe? Although they also look like they could be large concrete walls, one of them appears to have been knocked down and a JCB is breaking it up or removing the rubble.

Coordinates are 37°57'27.5"N 85°50'01.7"W
https://www.google.com/maps/place/37°57'27.5"N+85°50'01.7"W/@37.957651,-85.8343632,179m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m14!1m7!3m6!1s0x8868df985254f76b:0x643fa60ca53e229d!2sFort+Knox,+KY,+USA!3b1!8m2!3d37.8836637!4d-85.9652686!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d37.9576509!4d-85.8338162

Interested to hear what anyone thinks they could be, or what this area actually is? Or if you live nearby if you know what it is?

EDIT: Appears to be a Defense Nuclear Agency-Underground Technology Program (DNA-UTP) test site, according to this...
https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc668490/m2/1/high_res_d/28329.pdf

Last edited:
Wow that is weird @McAvennie

Looking round that whole forest area on Google satellite there's loads of strange stuff. That doesn't like like regular industrial or farming stuff. Fascinating. I love looking at stuff like that.

First - that site is definitely within the Fort Knox Military Reservation area.

There are simulated urban combat training areas within Fort Knox, but I don't think this is one of them. If you look closely you'll see the apparently tall dark structures aren't solid (you can see through them).

If they're skeleton or meshwork structures my first guess would be a large antenna array.

I think those black shapes are shadows. There's a strange combination of perspective and contrast going on. It looks a bit more sensible if you go into 3D and turn the image, but it doesn't help much. Looks like some large blocks of concrete. I dunno. Weird.

Just took a look. Very odd indeed. I went 3D too and they just look like black walls to me. There's a lot going on within there, a series of upright posts/antennas, what look like semi sided courts. Who knows what's really lurking in there? Interesting find!

If you look at the shadows of more mundane objects in the image, the angle is the same as the black trapezoids or whatever they are.

A trick I learned when looking at odd images long ago is to align the light source in the image you are examining with the light source of the room you are in. That eliminates a lot of mixed signals to the brain. The 3D tilt-and-pan feature in Google Maps is handy for that. Until they change it again next week.

The black shapes are shadows of tall walls. What they’re for I couldn’t begin to guess.

I'm just guessing, but I reckon it's a storage area for pre-fabricated concrete wall sections. In times of emergency, these can be moved into place to protect a vulnerable part of Fort Knox, such as an entrance.

Back