• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Another House Wall Thread

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Didn't want to push the other house wall thread off course so thought I would post this separately,

The house wall acting as a radio reminded me of this, about 40 years back a mate moved into a house
and a few weeks later he asked if I would go look at something, the something was a brick, it was part of
a wall of a outbuilding that was built onto the back of said house, and it was warm very warm to be honest,
I suspected a electrical problem but there was no load we could not account for and killing the power didn't
cool it down. He was not keen on me taking a hammer and chisel to remove it to see what if anything was
behind it but it stayed nice and toasty till he moved several years later.

would pressure or twisting or tension of some sort heat it up?

I'd have been round there as soon as they were away!

Didn't want to push the other house wall thread off course so thought I would post this separately,

The house wall acting as a radio reminded me of this, about 40 years back a mate moved into a house
and a few weeks later he asked if I would go look at something, the something was a brick, it was part of
a wall of a outbuilding that was built onto the back of said house, and it was warm very warm to be honest,
I suspected a electrical problem but there was no load we could not account for and killing the power didn't
cool it down. He was not keen on me taking a hammer and chisel to remove it to see what if anything was
behind it but it stayed nice and toasty till he moved several years later.
Nuclear material hidden behind the brick?

I would think the house was built in the late 1800's if you wet the brick the water
would slowly turn to steam, spent hours trying to figure it out the heat was very
localised to that brick and I wanted to remove it if nothing was behind it it would
have been interesting to see if it cooled, never seen the like before or since.

I would think the house was built in the late 1800's if you wet the brick the water
would slowly turn to steam, spent hours trying to figure it out the heat was very
localised to that brick and I wanted to remove it if nothing was behind it it would
have been interesting to see if it cooled, never seen the like before or since.
I'm surprised that the current owners haven't noticed and had it investigated.
What town was this in?

Obvious question - but was there a fireplace or boiler the other side of the wall. Brick will absorb heat and then slowly release it (some types more noticeably than others) so you might notice the warmth even when the fire is not in use.

Edit: Also, could there have been hot water pipes running inside, or against, the wall?

I did wonder about hot pipes but no I am pretty sure there
was nothing I could get to both sides of it I am usually quite
good at finding a reason for these things but it was a puzzle
that's for sure, It was in Bury but I don't remember the St name.

Could the suns rays have been focused on that brick, say through a jar in a greenhouse in a neighboring garden at a certain time of day, the brick then retaining the heat ?

The heat was localized to a brick. The brick was in a wall. The wall was part of an outbuilding built onto the back of a house.

I'm not clear about the hot brick's relative location.

Was the brick's wall a second layer / overlay onto the adjacent house's wall (i.e., did its wall parallel and cover the house's wall)?

Or was the brick part of a wall that extended away from the house's own wall?

I want to know whether the hot brick abutted the main house's structure at all.

I also want to know the hot brick's relative location in the wall (e.g., low / high; center / peripheral; within a corner or juncture; etc.).

The fact that a neighbour's brick outhouse wall was always warm, I naively put down to the fact that it was south facing, until some very large coppers turned up on the doorstep and asked if they could feel the wall from my garden. Turned out neighbour had been growing some "exotic" plants in the outhouse, which for some reason needed a lot of heating:)

Don't think it had seen sun for years, were it was had once been the outside of the
house wall next to the back door and at some point or maybe from new a outhouse
had been added.
The brick was at about shoulder height.

It was odd that's for sure, I would have liked to remove it but was vetoed.
It was in the outside of a cavity wall the brick on the inside of the cavity was
cool.
It was just bare brick no plaster. though the inside cool wall was plastered.

It was odd that's for sure, I would have liked to remove it but was vetoed.
It was in the outside of a cavity wall the brick on the inside of the cavity was
cool.
Oh, that's even weirder! Whatever it was, was inside the brick!
Nuclear material... or is it just 'unclear' what it was?

I would think that brick had been there since the late 1800's
If I could have got it out and it did stay warm wouldn't it have
been a novelty/conversation starter, would have made a cracking
bed warmer,

I would think that brick had been there since the late 1800's
If I could have got it out and it did stay warm wouldn't it have
been a novelty/conversation starter, would have made a cracking
bed warmer,
Or an excellent firestarter.

Could the suns rays have been focused on that brick, say through a jar in a greenhouse in a neighboring garden at a certain time of day, the brick then retaining the heat ?

I'd be leaning to this type of explanation, along the lines of perhaps reflected heat off some shiny surface or glass. Whatever the cause it's a fascinating little phenomenon.
I remember a few years ago there were cases in ( I think) London where the plastic trim on cars parked on one street was distorting badly and irreparably. It took a while to get to the bottom of the problem which proved to be heat from the sun being reflected from the glass windows of a building. There was something weird about the glass either with it's surface or its curvature but I can't remember the details.

I remember a few years ago there were cases in ( I think) London where the plastic trim on cars parked on one street was distorting badly and irreparably. It took a while to get to the bottom of the problem which proved to be heat from the sun being reflected from the glass windows of a building. There was something weird about the glass either with it's surface or its curvature but I can't remember the details.
It was the curvature of the glass that focused the rays. It was this building in London:

240px-Walkie-Talkie_-_Sept_2015.jpg

... I remember a few years ago there were cases in ( I think) London where the plastic trim on cars parked on one street was distorting badly and irreparably. It took a while to get to the bottom of the problem which proved to be heat from the sun being reflected from the glass windows of a building. There was something weird about the glass either with it's surface or its curvature but I can't remember the details.

We have a thread dedicated to buildings (etc.) acting as accidental solar furnaces ...

Accidental Solar Furnace Offices & Buildings
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/accidental-solar-furnace-offices-buildings.53941/

Back