• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Antarctic 'Breakdown'

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Man stabs colleague at Antarctic base after suffering 'emotional breakdown'

A man has stabbed and injured a colleague at a research station in Antarctica after suffering an apparent emotional breakdown.

Russia's Interfax news agency said the incident at the Bellingshausen station on King George Island on 9 October had resulted from "tensions in a confined space".

The victim, a researcher, was flown to a hospital in Chile - the nearest country to the remote base.

Interfax said the assailant, also a researcher, voluntarily surrendered to the station chief and was placed under house arrest.

The Pravda news agency named the attacker as Sergei Savitsky and the victim as Oleg Beloguzov.

It reported that Savitsky stabbed his co-worker in the chest in the base's dining room.

Continued:
https://news.sky.com/story/man-stab...tional-breakdown-11533893?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Rumours on Twitter suggest that a unknown husky was taken into the base the previous day and all contact has subsequently been lost...

U.S._Outpost_31_-_Profile.png

That last part may not be true.

Escet was offered a job monitoring data & machinery at a base in Antarctica. Three months, all alone, just him and the penguins.

They wanted someone with a physics PhD but I bet all they actually needed was a ctrl/alt/delete-switch it off and on again-merchant.

Like me. I'd've gone.

I've got a mate who works for the British Antarctic Survey, on one visit he was left on a lump of ice to takes cores etc. for a few weeks. Just him, the tent and a big dude for protection....

I think it's more likely from giant killer penguins.

You know they can swim, right?

If I recall correctly from David Attenborough documentaries, they can swim insanely long distances.

Edit: A recent study has them 'regularly' swimming 30 miles and one individual was tracked carrying out a 220-mile Odyssey!

Edit 2: Another study has a female swimming for nine straight days, losing 22% of her body weight and covering 426 miles!

https://news.nationalgeographic.com...s-global-warming-sea-ice-science-environment/

He didn't specify what he was being protected from.

I think the guy was also a survival expert and sorted the food and shelter etc.

Apparently the victim was in the habit of telling the alleged attacker the endings to the books he was reading. I don't condone violence, but surely there's not a jury that would convict ..?

The bit about disclosing book endings appears to be spurious. Here's an update ...

No Evidence Russian Engineer Stabbed Antarctica Colleague for Spoiling Book Endings
... On Oct. 9 at about 3 p.m. local time, engineer Sergei Savitsky, age 54, allegedly attacked welder Oleg Beloguzov, age 52, in the canteen at Bellingshausen, a Russian research station on King George Island ...

Savitsky stabbed Beloguzov with a knife; the injured Beloguzov was then evacuated to a hospital in Chile, where he was said to be in stable condition. A history of "strained relations" and long-standing hostility between the two men led to the knifing, according to 47News. ...

It has been widely reported that Savitsky "snapped" because Beloguzov repeatedly revealed the endings of the books that Savitsky was reading. However, it is unclear where this detail originated; an unnamed source told Russian news agency Interfax that tensions likely sparked from the men spending six months together in close quarters, but the source offered no further insights into what may have led Savitsky to pick up the knife and plunge it into Beloguzov's chest. ...

After the attack, Savitsky surrendered to the director of the research station. He traveled back to Russia, returning to St. Petersburg's Pulkovo International Airport on Oct. 20, where he was met by police officers. Two days later, officials with the Vasileostrovsky District Court in St. Petersburg charged Savitsky with attempted murder and sentenced him to house arrest until Dec. 8, 47News reported.

SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/64012-antarctica-stabbing.html

I've got a mate who works for the British Antarctic Survey, on one visit he was left on a lump of ice to takes cores etc. for a few weeks. Just him, the tent and a big dude for protection....

I was offered a job with the BAS as a Radio Operator - the day the letter arrived The Thing was on tv and I took that as an omen and turned the job down.

They are looking for a new medical doctor for the ESA antarctic base if anyone is interested.

Back