• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anthropogenic *Space* Weather Influence

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This is interesting ... Above and beyond (pun intended ... ) any issues of by what means and to what extent one believes we humans are influencing phenomena within the bounds of our atmosphere it now appears we're actively affecting our planet's trans-atmospheric accoutrements.
There's a Human-Made Barrier in Space, Surrounding The Entire Earth

In 2017, NASA space probes detected a massive, human-made 'barrier' surrounding Earth.

And tests have confirmed that it's actually having an effect on space weather far beyond our planet's atmosphere.

That means we're not just changing Earth so severely, scientists are calling for a whole new geological epoch to be named after us - our activities have been changing space too.

But the good news is that unlike our influence on the planet itself, that humungous bubble we created out in space is actually working in our favour.

Back in 2012, NASA launched two space probes to work in tandem with each other as they whizzed through Earth's Van Allen Belts at speeds of around 3,200 km/h (2,000 mph).

Our planet is surrounded by two such radiation belts (and a temporary third one) - the inner belt stretches from around 640 to 9,600 km (400 to 6,000 miles) above Earth's surface, while the outer belt occupies an altitude of roughly 13,500 to 58,000 km (8,400 to 36,000 miles).

In 2017, the Van Allen Probes detected something strange as they monitored the activity of charged particles caught within Earth's magnetic field - these dangerous solar discharges were being kept at bay by some kind of low frequency barrier.

When researchers investigated, they found that this barrier had been actively pushing the Van Allen Belts away from Earth over the past few decades, and now the lower limits of the radiation streams are actually further away from us than they were in the 1960s.

So what's changed?

A certain type of transmission, called very low frequency (VLF) radio communications, have become far more common now than in the 60s, and the team at NASA confirmed that they can influence how and where certain particles in space move about.

In other words, thanks to VLF, we now have anthropogenic (or human-made) space weather. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/there-is-a-human-made-barrier-surrounding-earth-and-we-can-detect-it

EnolaGaia>>sciencealert.com said:
A certain type of transmission, called very low frequency (VLF) radio communications, have become far more common now than in the 60s

This statement from the Science Alert website makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Whilst VLF is certainly still used for certain low-bandwidth/long-throw military communications systems (famously, of course, for end-of-the-world contact to nuclear-armed submarines) the trend for all nautical and aeronautical radiocommunications and navigation systems has been, over the years, to go UP in frequency, and UP into the sky to/from satellites, at Ultra/Super and Extremely High Frequencies.... the exact opposite end of the spectrum, and technology approach.

This is almost like reading that aging GPS sat-navs are being replaced by a cunning new global nav system called LORAN....or am I missing something?

The recognition that VLF emissions (apparently all attributed to VLF communication) affected the Van Allen Belts dates back to 2017:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddar...-probes-spot-man-made-barrier-shrouding-earth
https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/solar-system/a26552/vlf-frequencies-affecting-space/

The difference in the belts' proximity (compared to the Sixties) was also noted 3 years ago.

Reliance on VLF transmissions for certain secure comms hasn't diminished at all. If anything, the technology has proliferated. Whether such proliferation is the cause for the belts' getting farther 'away' is anybody's guess.

Very interesting... I wonder if this knowledge could be used to enhance the search for planets with advanced life. That said perhaps scientists already look for similar signs. Can anyone shed light on this? I know scientists look for water, the so called 'goldilocks' zone etc.

Back