• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anti-Gravity / Antigravity Research (General; Miscellaneous)

A

Anonymous

NASA begin testing on anti-gravity machine

From the LA Times , March 24
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-000021224

Laws are made to be broken. Or so the National Aeronautics and Space Administration seems to think. After an almost two-year wait, the agency's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., is poised to take delivery of a machine that proponents hope will counteract the laws of gravity.

At the heart of the device is a purported effect so radical it could change the way we interact with one of nature's most fundamental forces. We're talking revolution, not evolution. A revolution in spaceships would be just one spinoff. Back here on Earth, the internal combustion engine could become an endangered species, replaced by gravity-powered cars, planes and elevators.

The dream of defying gravity has a long and ignoble history. From Icarus on, the road is littered with failed attempts to unbind our feet from the shackles of nature's most seemingly inexorable force. But the team behind the NASA project say they are basing their efforts on real science, and NASA has paid almost $600,000 to have the machine custom-built by Ohio-based Superconductive Components, Inc. (SCI), a company that specializes in high- tech ceramics and superconducting materials. Says SCI Vice President James R. Gaines Jr.: "If it works, what a hoot!" Revolutions are usually bloody affairs, and this one is no exception. Many physicists believe the whole project is a waste of time based on unsubstantiated research of dubious origin. Gravity, they contend, is in no danger of diminution--the only thing they see at stake is NASA's credibility.

The story begins soberly enough, in the pages of the respected science journal Physica C. There, in 1992, Russian physicist Evgeny Podkletnov published the results of an experiment in which he claimed to have discovered a "gravity- shielding" effect. According to the article, Podkletnov had managed to reduce the force of gravity on a small object by up to 2%--in effect, he had reduced its weight. Now 2% may not sound like much, but to the physics community, it was like a bomb blast. The law of gravity is one of science's most sacrosanct principles; any breaching of its walls would represent a major threat to the current theoretical framework. If verified, such a finding would bag its discoverer a Nobel Prize.

But here's the rub: Podkletnov's paper was hazy on the details. He worried that his ideas would be taken by others, that he would not be given proper credit, and he refused to allow anyone into his lab to see his apparatus. Incomplete disclosure, coupled with the outlandish nature of the claim itself, left most physicists scoffing with derision. As a result, Podkletnov was thrown out of his job at the Tampere University of Technology in Finland.

Since his paper appeared a decade ago, Podkletnov says, many people have successfully replicated his results, but if so, they have yet to report them in a peer-reviewed journal. All those who have published have failed to detect any clear results. One of them is Marshall Space Flight Center researcher Ron Koczor, who spent two years investigating various aspects of Podkletnov's experiments, and eventually gave up. But Podkletnov insists the gravity-shielding effect only occurs when all the experimental conditions are precisely right. Koczor decided it was a job for the professionals, and in 1999 he persuaded NASA to commission SCI to build a facsimile of Podkletnov's original apparatus.

The details might be sketchy, but the basic idea behind the device is fairly simple. It begins with a disc, about six inches in diameter and a quarter of an inch thick, made out of a superconducting material whose recipe Podkletnov has carefully kept secret. The disc is cooled to below -233 degrees centigrade and levitated using a magnetic field. Then an electric field is applied to make the disc spin. So far, all we have is a variation on an electric motor, but Podkletnov claims that when the disc rotates at more than 5,000 revolutions per minute, an object placed above it begins to lose weight. Somehow, he says, the force of gravity is being counteracted--the trick is, you have to get the setup exactly right.

"I wish it was as simple as baking a cake," says SCI's Gaines. Even with the company's expertise it has not been easy. Indeed, the project is a year behind schedule. But Gaines says his team are almost there, and they should be handing over the device to NASA soon.

Will it work? Gaines' technicians are not gravity experts; their field is materials science. They have simply built the machine to agreed specifications. But, of course, they would be thrilled if it did work; success would ensure an enormous boost to superconducting research. Testing of the device will be NASA's responsibility, and he awaits their results with great expectation.

Personally, I am thrilled to hear my tax dollars are hard at work subverting the laws of nature. Or attempting to, at any rate. Who knows what conceptual mountains we might demolish if our imaginations aim high enough? Johannes Kepler, the founding father of modern astrophysics, saw science as a form of play--empirical data set an irrevocable boundary to this play, but within its arena the imagination must be free to roam.

This is not NASA's first attempt to look for the Podkletnov effect. Last year, Marshall Space Flight Center funded a different experiment in which a very sensitive Cavendish balance was used to try and detect a change of weight in a superconducting apparatus. Results of that study were "inconclusive."

Randall Peters, a physicist at Mercer University in Macon, Ga., was a consultant to that project--he helped to customize the balance for this unorthodox use. "My own position," Peters says, "is that I'd be greatly surprised if the effect being sought was actually found." Like most physicists, he feels confident that gravity will withstand the Podkletnov test. Nonetheless, he adds that "physics is full of surprises," and he believes that scientists need to maintain an open mind. Gaines agrees, defending NASA's willingness to go out on such a speculative limb: "The upside potential is so huge, they really couldn't afford to miss out if it is true."

NASA's interest in circumventing gravity is not theoretical. The agency is reaching for the stars. Literally. Even in the zero-gravity environment of outer space, you still need to accelerate a ship to extremely high speeds to get to the stars in any viable framework, something that cannot be done with conventional rocket technology. The Podkletnov effect suggests it may be possible to effectively reduce the mass of the ship, thereby reducing the overall energy needed for acceleration.

The authors of the July paper introduced their experimental analysis with a wistful discussion on the limitations of rocket propulsion. "Using current rocket technology," they note, "a trip to the next star would easily consume the mass- energy equivalent of a planet in order to arrive within a reasonable lifetime." Technologies like nuclear fission and fusion offer some hope, "but still will not support the 'Star Trek' vision of space exploration." In short, if we are serious about space travel, we need a quantum leap forward in propulsive power.

Investigating potential options is the task of NASA's Breakthrough Propulsion Physics Project, which funded last year's Cavendish balance experiment. Then headed by aerospace engineer Marc G. Millis, the BPP group has license to boldly go where no man has gone before--to the outermost limits of current scientific understanding. Speaking by phone from his office at the John H. Glenn Research Center in Ohio, Millis insists that "we're not asking anyone to develop a warp drive." NASA understands, he says, that this is going to take time, and he stresses that they are "interested in developments of short increments." Giant spikes of speculation are to be sheathed in favor of careful step-by-step progress.

Specifically, the BPP is seeking projects that can be feasibly achieved in two to three years. Already, the office has funded five projects that investigate anomalous physical effects. Most do not deal with gravity per se; as Millis notes, "modifying gravity" is just one possible direction from which to approach the propulsion problem. The group has also funded work on reducing the effect of inertial mass, on quantum tunneling and on the relationship between electromagnetism and space-time. Well aware of the threat to NASA's reputation, he is determined to encourage only the most clean-cut suitors, people with university affiliations and the like.

But lightness of being is a dream that transcends institutional boundaries and beyond the ivory towers of academe an unheralded army of amateurs are beavering away in their basements against the unbearable restraints of Isaac Newton's laws. Go online and the virtual ether fizzes with a thousand competing propulsion systems. James Cox, editor of AntiGravity News, lists no less than seven major classifications of anti-gravity devices, from those based on superconductivity, to those that exploit properties of gyroscopes and purported anomalies in nuclear physics or quantum mechanics. Cox himself is working on an anti-gravity backpack that he claims is nearing the patent stage. He is currently seeking funding to develop a commercially viable prototype.

When the BPP's next casting call goes out in the fall, Millis says the agency will keep an open mind. The message of history, he says, is that new insights can come from the most seemingly unlikely directions. By definition, no one can predict from whence the next revolution will arise. Gentleman, start your engines.

Right...
An antigravity drive built out of balsa-wood aluminium foil and sellotape.

"Don't call us, we'll call you" :)

Niles ":rolleyes:" Calder

I'm not sure it's actually antigravity but just some sort of dodgy propulsion.

And at least he gives away construction information for free, which lends credability over the more suspicious "antigravity" websites you see where they demand you buy the plans for the machine from them for a small fee ;)

And the high voltages sound tremendously dangerous :)

Its not antigravity anymore than you jumping up in the air and defeating the gravity of the whole earth is antigravity. However the effect has been known about for along time and I believe in the early fifties great expectations of a new propellantless propulsion sytem utilising it were considered a matter of time but nothing materialised. Its also quite a difficult and dangerous technology to deal with as the voltages are so high. I remember reading that they had it working in a vacuum chamber as well in the fifties and it did work too.

I don't know about Chinese - it seemed double Dutch to me!
Lots of words from physics, but I'm not sure they were strung together in any meaningful way. Some diagrams might have made it clearer - a picture is worth a thousands words, an' all that.

from rynner Some diagrams might have made it clearer - a picture is worth a thousands words, an' all that.

There are some links at the bottom of the page; one is to the Chinese version (in case your language abilities and your browser are up for that).

Perhaps some engineering Fortean could build this device and take a photo?

centrifugal anti-gravity device

Hey guys!

I released this information in Usenet sci.physics yesterday. Thankfully they're representative of the worst aspects of conventional science in there, so at least I can find continuity in that!

I'm going to repost the description of the device verbatim here.

The moving diagram has been attached to this message.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi to all regulars of this group.

The next post has a binary attachment gif, which is a moving diagram of an idea I had a few years ago.

I'm just an amateur, so there's probably some flaw I haven't noticed that a professional could point out.

Starting out with the idea that if centrifuge can apply accelerational force, there's no good reason why a similar mechanical process couldn't apply deaccelerational force.

The diagram shows two simultaneous views of the same device, as it rotates along three axes.

It shows a circular tube, that is rotating and spinning, with a moving sphere inside, marked with a green 'X'.

It must be opposing an accelerational force, which in this diagram is assumed to be the earth's gravity, at the bottom of the moving
diagram.

The ball is constantly falling. At no time is it impeded against the
gravity.

Being an amateur, I don't have the resources to make a prototype, or to do patents etc, so I just left it on the back burner for quite a while.

But Usenet is widely archived so I thought I'd just do it.

Any comments would be very appreciated!

BUMP of antigravity threads merging against the downward force of the forum...

Antigravity is the opposite of gravity. So the matter generating anitgravity would need to have the opposite properties of matter. Quite simply anigravity would originate from a source with negative mass. This antimatter? would also be driving time forward and expanding space. Ergo this antimatter? would be creating a negative temporal universe. Mabe the real antimatter? can not be seen for this reason. Quite posibly it could be traveling backwards in time. I have no idea how we could amplify a gravitational field let alone generate antigravity. Mabe the key to antigravity could be found in the ability to amplify gravity. This done it would simply require reversing the polarity as it were. I do know this. We will not travel to the stars untill we gain the ability to generate and controll such fields. I believe where there is a will there is a way

Reversing the polarity is a good old Star Trek cliche; unfortunately it is meaningless.

Antigravity however is not without some slight basis in reality; as you say, Prometheus, matter could exist with negative mass and negative gravity;
this theoretical matter is not the same as antimatter, which has positive mass, and would have a normal weight (but antimatter explodes when in contact with normal matter).

Negative matter would have negative mass. and therefore would repell ordinary matter.
It would still be affected by gravity however, so would still fall downwards when on the surface of the Earth; it would just weigh slightly less.

You wouldn't get things falling upwards untill you had a mass of negative matter bigger than the mass of positive matter.

Wierd stuff; it probably doesn't exist, although negative energy is widespread in the Universe.

Wierder still- Negative matter would have negative inertia, so if you pushed it, it would move towards you.

I thought it was a given that anti-matter could not exist in our world without some sort of enclosure, like a extremely stong magnetic field or some such? I seem to recall a theory that anti-matter would explode on contact with matter of any density, even air. Or was this just a kooky idea that I picked up from a sci-fi novel?

The origin of antimatter was founded on the need to balance out the force of the big bang. This form of matter having a equal and opposite force saving the universe from sliping back into a black hole. The antimatter we create has negative charge yet has the same mass. It is my understanding a form of antigravity was required to stop a black hole forming. It was the large concentration of gravity in the small amount of time space that should have created a black hole distroying the infant universe.

I believe antimatter to be a hybrid form of matter. Having the same charge as this negative energy yet the same mass as matter. Matter is directly related to the timespace it occupies as the gravity it emites effects both the time and space with is its field. It is for this reason I believe negative matter lives in a negative temporal universe. Logic suggests there has to be a negative force somewhere to strengthen the fabric of timespace and control expansion. This is a very simple idea and I like it for this reason.

Eburacum45 said:
Negative matter would have negative mass. and therefore would repell ordinary matter.
It would still be affected by gravity however, so would still fall downwards when on the surface of the Earth; it would just weigh slightly less.

You wouldn't get things falling upwards untill you had a mass of negative matter bigger than the mass of positive matter.
Ebucuracum, surely if an object were to be made entirely of negative matter it would fall away from a gravity well with the same force an equal mass[1] of positive matter. It's only when positive and negative matter were combined in an object that the mix of mass energies[2] would become a factor. This in turn brings me to wonder on the properties of an object with neutral/zero mass...

Weird stuff; it probably doesn't exist, although negative energy is widespread in the Universe.
And negative energy can be used to power an Alcubierre-VanDenBroeck Warp Drive :wow:

[1]That is to say positive matter of an equal volume and density.
[2]No I don't believe I wrote that either.

Niles Calder said:
Ebucuracum, surely if an object were to be made entirely of negative matter it would fall away from a gravity well with the same force an equal mass[1] of positive matter. It's only when positive and negative matter were combined in an object that the mix of mass energies[2] would become a factor. This in turn brings me to wonder on the properties of an object with neutral/zero mass...
I remember and article by Robert Forward on the prospect of making a star drive using Negative matter to bootstrap yourself along. From memory, for it to work, Positive matter needs to be attracted to Negative matter, while Negative matter is repelled by Positive matter. This doesn't seem to make much sense, as it sounds like it violates one or another forms of conservation. Unfortunately, I expect I threw out the magazine with the article in it.

Papo-furado

Anome is right, Robert Forward described such a drive; you notice that the Negative matter is attracted by the Positive matter, and repels it at the same time; to get an idea of what is going on you need to map the gravity curvature of the local space, and you get an anomaly which propagates forwards.

In the same way when you have a small lump of negmat in a large positive gravity field, the gravity curves upward around the negmat, but the net force is downward, so there is a net attraction... until you get far enough away from the larger positive object...
I think, anyway.

Re: Papo-furado

Eburacum45 said:
In the same way when you have a small lump of negmat in a large positive gravity field, the gravity curves upward around the negmat, but the net force is downward, so there is a net attraction... until you get far enough away from the larger positive object...
I think, anyway.
'Negamat' Wasn't HG Well's character, Professor Cavor, making a special paint out of that stuff, calling it 'CAVORITE' and using it to propel himself and his assistant to the Moon, in 'The First Men In The Moon,' back at the end of the Nineteenth Century? :p

What happens to "negative" mass depends on if you believe that the equivalence principle of GR holds, i.e. that gravitational mass and inertial mass are one and the same thing. If they are, then you would get one set of answers, if they aren't then you would get another. :)

Anti Gravity!

Just saw this, while looking for something else.

http://www.janes.com/transport/news/jdw/jdw020729_1_n.shtml

I remember there being a large article about this in an issue of FT some time back. This has an interesting aside about the technology being used as a potential weapons.

I brought this up because I wonder if there has been any further news on this research, with the current resurgence in space travel talk in mind. The successful implementation of this kind of technology is about the only thing that could reduce the huge cost of escaping the earths gravity well, currently the main obstacle to space travel.

Ideas anyone?;)

No-one has been able to replicate Podkletnov's success with antigravity, although some people have more luck repeating his achievements as a shyster.

Well it doesnt involve Iraq now but could be used there if developed. :twisted:

Patent issued for anti-gravity device

The U.S. patent office has reportedly granted a patent for an anti-gravity device -- breaking its rule to reject inventions that defy the laws of physics.

The journal Nature said patent 6,960,975 was granted Nov. 1 to Boris Volfson of Huntington, Ind., for a space vehicle propelled by a superconducting shield that alters the curvature of space-time outside the craft in a way that counteracts gravity.

One of the main theoretical arguments against anti-gravity is that it implies the availability of unlimited energy.

"If you design an anti-gravity machine, you've got a perpetual-motion machine," Robert Park of the American Physical Society told Nature.

Park said the action shows patent examiners are being duped by false science.

http://www.physorg.com/news8042.html

Antigravity Machine Patent Draws Physicists' Ire

Brian Handwerk
for National Geographic News

November 11, 2005
A perpetual-motion machine may defy the laws of physics, but an Indiana inventor recently succeeded in having one patented.

On November 1 Boris Volfson of Huntington, Indiana, received U.S. Patent 6,960,975 for his design of an antigravity space vehicle.

Volfson's craft is theoretically powered by a superconductor shield that changes the space-time continuum in such a way that it defies gravity. The design effectively creates a perpetual-motion machine, which physicists consider an impossible device.

Journalist Philip Ball reported on the newly patented craft in the current issue of the science journal Nature.

Robert Park, a consultant with the American Physical Society in Washington, D.C., warns that such dubious patents aren't limited to the antigravity concept.

"I might hear a complaint about a particular patent, and then I look into it," he explained. "More often than not it's a screwball patent. It's an old problem, but it has gotten worse in the last few years. The workload of the patent office has gone up enormously."

Some people might consider patents on unworkable products to be relatively harmless. Park, a physics professor at the University of Maryland at College Park, disagrees.

"The problem, of course, it that this deceives a lot of investors," he said. "You can't go out and find investors for a new invention until you can come up with a patent to show that if you put all this money into a concept, somebody else can't steal the idea.

"[Approving these kind of patents can] make it easier for scam artists to con people if they can get patents for screwball ideas."

Perpetual Quest

Perpetual-motion machines have long held special appeal for inventors—particularly during the concept's heyday around the turn of the 20th century.

Patent applications on such devices became so numerous that by 1911 the patent office instituted a rule that perpetual-motion machine concepts had to be accompanied by a model that could run in the office for a period of one year.

The model requirement has been discontinued, but the agency has remained skeptical of such applications.

"The patent office used to say that they didn't patent perpetual-motion machines, but it turned out that there really was no such rule," Park said.

A 1990 federal court ruling against inventor Joe Newman, who applied for a patent on a motor that he said could return more energy than it consumed, was interpreted as precluding patents for such devices.

But the verdict has not fully stemmed the tide of applications.

"The effect that [the court ruling] has had is that patent seekers no longer call them perpetual-motion machines," Park said. "Now it's called capturing zero-point energy."

Zero-point energy is a real type of energy produced by the miniscule movements of molecules at rest. Harnessing this energy is theoretically possible, but the task seems, at least for the moment, practically impossible.

Patent Review

When asked about Volfson's machine, a U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) spokesperson said the agency does not discuss specific patents. But the spokesperson explained that qualified patent examiners review each application according to rigid criteria.

First the idea must be patentable by law, said Brigid Quinn of the USPTO, based in Alexandria, Virginia. "There is patent law that describes what is patentable subject matter—for example, the laws of nature aren't patentable."

If an idea passes legal muster it must then meet several specific criteria.

"Is it new?" Quinn asked. "Is it useful, which means does it work? Is it nonobvious? And is it described in such detail to enable someone skilled in that technology to make and use it based on the description that must accompany the application?"

Patent office scientists and engineers, skilled in particular technologies, make their determinations based on these criteria and the current state of the science involved.

But despite their best efforts, mistakes are inevitable and patents may be granted to unworkable ideas. Some 5,000 examiners must currently handle a load of 350,000 applications per year.

Meanwhile, no amount of nay-saying will stop inventors from dreaming of a legitimate perpetual-motion breakthrough. Park believes that these hopefuls far outweigh any ill-meaning scammers.

"The most curious aspect of this is that most of these people truly believe that they've made some new discovery that most people haven't thought of," he said. "It doesn't often work out."

AntiGtav

Reviving an ancient thread...
Has antigravity been found?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39642992

Physicists observe 'negative mass'
Physicists have created a fluid with "negative mass", which accelerates towards you when pushed.
In the everyday world, when an object is pushed, it accelerates in the same direction as the force applied to it; this relationship is described by Isaac Newton's Second Law of Motion.
But in theory, matter can have negative mass in the same sense that an electric charge can be positive or negative.

Even a minimal amount of quantum negative inertia might be useful on a tiny scale, even if it isn't useful for anything else. As I said in this thread many years ago, I don't think negative matter would fall upwards, but it would fall downwards with less force - a potentially useful attribute. And it could, in theory, be used to stabilise a wormhole or space warp of some kind - exactly the sort of thing Sonny White is looking for over at NASA.

Even a minimal amount of quantum negative inertia might be useful on a tiny scale, even if it isn't useful for anything else. As I said in this thread many years ago, I don't think negative matter would fall upwards, but it would fall downwards with less force - a potentially useful attribute. And it could, in theory, be used to stabilise a wormhole or space warp of some kind - exactly the sort of thing Sonny White is looking for over at NASA.

Agreed and this made me think of the Casimir effect, which is still not fully understood:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

Back