• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

(Anti-) Social Media: Scams / Shams / Shills On Facebook & Other Sites

Crikey. You show much more restraint than I would in the same situation.
If I wanted to look at something and someone shoved their 'cart' in the way, I would just shove it out of the way saying loudly, but cheerfully,
" 'scuse me!" and if they decided to remonstrate with me they'd be heading towards a destination they weren't expecting to visit.
I didn't want to be unkind, but this woman looked a bit scary. And her observations of me showed a level of 'paranoia' or something.
In light of the recent violence I am interested in staying away from troubled people, let her ruin someone else's day.
Another store off our list! LOL

I've noticed that as well. It's almost as if some of the population have suddenly become stupid as well.

Especially when driving I see drivers doing some of the strangest things. This morning a lady parked her car across a set of busy pedestrian lights just so as she could go into the shop next to them. And the number of drivers undertaking along with the 'have to get in front' brigade is almost epidemic.
I wonder if this isn't a result of the population becoming stupid so much as a chronic underfunding and availablility of police. If you can pretty much dump your car anywhere you want and know that there isn't a policeman for 20 miles, and even if they do turn up they'll just tell you to move with no penalty - then why WOULDN'T you just leave your car wherever and pop into the shop?

I haven't had dodgy emails for years. Had a few in the early days but that's all. Don't get any con phone calls either.
But you are still waiting for that Nigerian Prince to send back that £50,000 you gave him to release the $24.6million profits from the oil drilling scheme because he can't process the money through his own bank account, aren't you.....

After deciding to skip adventures at WalMart this week for a better class of department store (though not much better) we went to our local Kohl's.
Hubby went to the men's department and I went off to find the women's Levi's jeans, which I found a display of shelves against a far wall.
I wanted to see the new styles, and suddenly a woman looking at another display over to the side put her cart directly in front of the Levi's jeans.
I (very politely) asked her to move her cart as I was looking at the Levi's. The area was empty of other customers.
She went off on a rant about 'who did I think I was, she was there first', and 'look at me, I'm a mess', and various other observations. I have long straight blonde hair and had just come from the hairdresser, and was dressed to go out, with makeup.
I just laughed and moved on to another area.
Since the virus I have noticed a peculiar type of 'rage' or 'obstinacy' or 'paranoia' and a lack of just plain logical thinking from others that I have not seen before. Mr. R is as mystified as I am, but manners and kindness seem to have gone out the window.
That is so weird. I have noticed that I have to keep a lid on my temper more than usual, but I also noticed that people seem nicer than they were before. There are some drivers that seem to be driving like zombies, foot on the gas, no idea where the brake is etc, in a hurry to die it seems. Maybe it is more populated areas that people seem more rude. Even with all the midwestern transplants Albuquerque still seems to be a friendly city. I will say in reference to the title of the thread, I have not been on Facebook or Twitter in years. I also have not watched "the news" since the 80's. I think it is better to know what is going on in your neighborhood and talk to your neighbors than to spend/waste time on social media. This forum and 2 or 3 others that move very slowly like this one does are my "sociial media".

But you are still waiting for that Nigerian Prince to send back that £50,000 you gave him to release the $24.6million profits from the oil drilling scheme because he can't process the money through his own bank account, aren't you.....
Oh you guys are waiting for him too??

I wonder if this isn't a result of the population becoming stupid so much as a chronic underfunding and availablility of police. If you can pretty much dump your car anywhere you want and know that there isn't a policeman for 20 miles, and even if they do turn up they'll just tell you to move with no penalty - then why WOULDN'T you just leave your car wherever and pop into the shop?
In the U.S. at least, there is no such thing as underfunding of police. There is such a thing as lack of training of police. This extreme behavior doesn't have anything to do with police, it is an indication of extreme anxiety and how people react when they are afraid.

You hit the nail on the head!

I had fun the other day with the ducts cleaning one. I told the guy that my ducks were quite happily swimming in their pool and that their feathers were very clean.

He asked me if my house was a one or two floor. Me: I don't know.

Him: where do you live?
Me: somewhere in the world.

I went on with this ridiculousness for about 10 minutes (I was at work).

Finally, I said that I could waste his time for as long as he wanted to waste mine. He laughed and told me to have a good day. I could not figure out why he didn't just give up with me talking about ducks. He tried to get a sale, but totally wasted his call time. Usually callers of this ilk just hang up.

I have been waiting soooo long to get one of those calls in person.:rollingw:

Well......yes, but genuine ones like that are OK. He only wanted help. And I'll have my very own hareem! You'll wish you'd bought into this fantastic deal then, won't you- eh, eh?!

In the U.S. at least, there is no such thing as underfunding of police. There is such a thing as lack of training of police. This extreme behavior doesn't have anything to do with police, it is an indication of extreme anxiety and how people react when they are afraid.
Here in the UK the police have had their budgets cut and cut and cut. We used to have police stations in practically every small town - our nearest actual police presence is now nearly 30 miles away. As far as I am aware they are still well trained, but there are so few of them that they have to make decisions as to what to turn out for. My friend was attacked in a car park and the police didn't attend until late that night, when my friend was interviewed in her home and accused of being drunk and provoking the attack. (She wasn't, it was an ex partner who'd been lying in wait for her). And all the security cameras had been turned off to save money.

Here in the UK the police have had their budgets cut and cut and cut. We used to have police stations in practically every small town - our nearest actual police presence is now nearly 30 miles away. As far as I am aware they are still well trained, but there are so few of them that they have to make decisions as to what to turn out for. My friend was attacked in a car park and the police didn't attend until late that night, when my friend was interviewed in her home and accused of being drunk and provoking the attack. (She wasn't, it was an ex partner who'd been lying in wait for her). And all the security cameras had been turned off to save money.
Same thing going on here, and a general reluctance by them to act. And I am speaking of where we are presently living.

France Fights Fraudsters.

France has hit back at a wave of online scams involving influencers, who have persuaded their followers to part with savings for miracle cancer cures or other fake products.

A new law threatens online content creators with steep fines and two-year jail terms for promoting dangerous services or misleading commercial practices.

But it is not just the state that has intervened. Audrey, a mother of two children, was so shocked by the power of influencers, some of whom had made their names on reality TV shows, she set up her own Instagram account to call them out.

"I told myself this is totally wrong. You can't do that to a community of people who probably worship you and make them take risks by making them buy from unreliable websites."

She raised the alarm when she saw a former reality TV star promoting dietary supplements that claimed to kill cancer cells. Her social media page, Your Stars in Reality, aims to expose misleading and illegal practices and provides tools to help prevent people falling for scams.

Some victims of influencers' scams have been so deeply affected they have attempted to take their own lives, according to an association set up to help the victims of influencers.

"People got divorced, lost their housing, their job, fell into depression," a spokesperson for the AVI Collective told the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65916250

I would have thought by now people would have stopped believing this stuff from social media
I think you are giving people way too much credit for their ability to think on their own. We now have "influencers":roll: on the web who try to make people think they are just like them and are concerned for their viewers' welfare. $$$£££

Maggie Beer is a prolific Australian chef, author and restauranteur.
This evening my mother in law rang my wife saying that she'd been recommended by someone in a vintage car club she and my FIL belong to, to try Maggie's brand of CBD gummies for her back pain. These could be purchased through a Facebook page we were told.
Being almost 80 and not very computer savvy or comfortable with buying online, my MIL asked my wife to take a look to find out how much these would cost her.
Immediately we both said to each other that this sounds bogus, why would someone with a high profile such as her promote such a product?
Upon investigation it seems this has been an ongoing elaborate scam for a couple of years now:

An advertisement falsely using Maggie Beer’s endorsement is targeting vulnerable people – here’s what you need to know​

The beloved cooking icon has been caught up in a heartbreaking fake news advertisement.
Beloved cooking icon Maggie Beer is urging people to beware of a "despicable" scam that's falsely using her name and image to sell a "cure all" made from cannabis.
Fake stories published online show Maggie Beer appearing to promote CBD gummies, including a phony interview doctored to look like it has been published by The Australian Women's Weekly.
https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebrity/celeb-news/maggie-beer-scam-66869

No, of course not.
It's been true for centuries that 'a fool and his money are soon parted'.
The trouble with this saying is that it prevents a lot of people who have been scammed from speaking out. They know they've been daft, after the event, and the fear that everyone will point and laugh and tell them they've been stupid is what stops them from standing up and shouting about the scam.

We need to move towards encouraging people to say when they find out they've been scammed, to help them get their money back and prevent others from falling for the same scam, not being shamed into silence.

I must warn one of my friends who has been thinking of using some. she's been scammed before by a site using a celebrity.
And the rise of scammer using celebrity endoresement illegally increases this risk. Martin Lewis - the financial 'guru' - is absolutely outraged about this!
After all, if he gets associated with financial fraud, the uncovering of the truth takes far longer than the lie gets spread.

And the rise of scammer using celebrity endoresement illegally increases this risk. Martin Lewis - the financial 'guru' - is absolutely outraged about this!
After all, if he gets associated with financial fraud, the uncovering of the truth takes far longer than the lie gets spread.
It’s so upsetting because he’s made his job to help people and they use his face (which people trust) to rip them off.

Personally I would absolutely avoid anything and everything "endorsed" by a celebrity.

I think you are giving people way too much credit for their ability to think on their own. We now have "influencers":roll: on the web who try to make people think they are just like them and are concerned for their viewers' welfare. $$$£££
I do wonder whether the age of the internet has dulled the ability of a huge proportion of the population to actually think on their own. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard the "I've got a problem - I'll Google it" type approach. Some regard the internet as the ultimate life problem solver.

Back