• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Antichrist is an ecumenist, Vatican preacher warns

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Antichrist is an ecumenist, Vatican preacher warns

Vatican, Mar. 1, 2007 (CWNews.com) - Excesses of ecumenism and a tendency to downplay the Cross of Christ reflect the spirit of the Antichrist, Cardinal Giacomo Biffi warned Pope Benedict XVI (bio - news) and the leaders of the Roman Curia.

In a meditation preached during the Lenten Retreat for Vatican leaders this week, the outspoken Italian cardinal cited the vision of the Russian philosopher Vladimir Soloviev. “The Antichrist presents himself as a pacifist, ecologist, and ecumenist,” he said.

Cardinal Biffi decried the tendency of some Catholics to promote vague spiritual goals, rather than stressing the centrality of Christ’s Sacrifice. “Today,” he said, “we run the risk of having a Christianity that puts aside Jesus, the Cross, and the Resurrection.” He warned against the temptation to faith in Christ to “a mere set of values.”

Recalling Soloviev’s portrait of the Antichrist, the preacher said that the Antichrist waters down the truths of the faith, making concessions to satisfy every interest, and steadily gaining popularity. “The crowds follow him,” the cardinal said, “except for little groups of Catholics, Orthodox, and Protestants.”

This lingering remnant, Cardinal Biffi said, levels the charge against the Antichrist: “You have given us everything except the one thing that we want: Jesus Christ.”

(The cardinal’s meditations are being preached during private sessions in the Redemptoris Mater chapel of the apostolic palace. But Vatican Radio provided a summary of his talk.)

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=49580

Following that logic Ian Paisley's got a good chance of being the second coming. :lol:

Badly behaving bishops in the Anglican communion and crazy cardinals in the Roman Church!

There's a musical comedy in there somewhere.

;)

About 10 years ago another Cardinal came out withe line that a Vegetarian Anti-Christ was stalking the Earth!

An economist? Goddammit, I always knew those economists were evil!

Here ye are:

Vatican: Antichrist is a Vegetarian

A leading candidate to succeed Pope John Paul II has warned that the Antichrist is already among us and was most likely now disguised as a philanthropist supporting creeds like vegetarianism, animal rights and pacifism.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A leading conservative candidate to succeed Pope John Paul II has warned that the Antichrist foreseen in the Book of Revelations is already among us.
Cardinal Giacomo Biffi, 71, said that the modern Antichrist, identified in the Book of Revelations as a seven-headed beast, was most likely now disguised as a philanthropist supporting creeds like vegetarianism, animal rights, pacifism, and advocating dialogue with Orthodox or Anglican believers.

But his true aim was to undermine the Catholic church, the Cardinal argued.

Papal contender

As Archbishop of Bologna, one of Italy's most populous and richest dioceses, Cardinal Biffi is a clear contender for the papacy, given that his fellow cardinals may well decide to select an Italian as successor to the present Pope.

However, Cardinal Biffi is also deeply conservative in his views and his remarks are likely to offend some progressive Catholics.

As the Pope becomes frailer, questions about the succession are more pressing

Cadinal Biffi says the Anti-Christ is among us

He was speaking at a conference of academics in Bologna last weekend, on the 19th century Russian mystic Vladimir Solovyov, who predicted horror and disaster in the 20th century.

The cardinal reminded those attending the conference that the 20th century had seen many massacres.

As well as the killing of six million Jews in the Nazi holocaust, Cardinal Biffi mentioned the killing of millions of Armenians in Turkey and the victims of Stalin's purges in the former Soviet Union.

The cardinal said the 20th century had also witnessed what he called a selfish, unwise, sexual revolution and unparalleled vulgarity and shamelessness.

http://www.thenazareneway.com/vegetaria ... tarian.htm

“The crowds follow him,” the cardinal said, “except for little groups of Catholics, Orthodox, and Protestants.”

Nice to know that Protestants have finally made the Faithful.

But the Cardinal's words strike me as solidly Christian and fully resonant with historical Christianity.

OldTimeRadio said:
“The crowds follow him,” the cardinal said, “except for little groups of Catholics, Orthodox, and Protestants.”

Nice to know that Protestants have finally made the Faithful.

But the Cardinal's words strike me as solidly Christian and fully resonant with historical Christianity.

Hang on - isn't that ecumenical? :shock:

ted_bloody_maul said:
Hang on - isn't that ecumenical? :shock:

It depends on what you mean by the term. The original seven Churches seem to have all had their distinct personalities. The ONE thing they were united on, though, is precisely what some moderns would like to toss out.

OMG---Cardinal Biffi, I'd like you to meet my friends at the UN. :twisted: You know, where they hatch evil plots concerning the New World Order, the Trilateral Commission and other works of Old Scratch himself. And let's not forget those sneaky Freemasons--God only knows what they're up to these days!

Wasn't ecumenism a movement officially started in the Church by Pope John XXIII--who, correct me if I'm wrong here :twisted: --was canonized by the last pope??

And since when has the Church been officially "pro-war"? As opposed to those demonic pacifists who want us all to live together peacefully?

And wait a minute! What about that guy who used to go around shepherding sheep (animal-lover *sneer*) and talking about peace and love and all that communist stuff? What was his name again? You know who I mean--his mom's name was Mary? I think he was Jewish or something and did carpentry on the side--yeah, hope nobody's listening to him anymore--that animal-loving pacifist!!

And you know....while I love war like any good Christian should :D and enjoy a good steak now and then...I do belong to several animal-rights' organizations....

OMG!!!!!

Maybe I'm the Antichrist!!!!

Bet they never guessed it would be a middle-aged American woman! Haha--yeah, we evil ones are clever like that. :twisted:

Yes - it's odd that pacifism is bundled in with being a trait of the Anti-Christ. So what's 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' all about then? Tsk.

It seems to be Biffi saying 'Urgh - modern values are icky and demonic', but Christian spokespeople seem to have been saying that every once in awhile for the past 2000 years. So nothing really new.

Yeah... pacifism... ecology... this Antichrist sounds like one of the good guys!

synchronicity said:
OMG!!!!!

Maybe I'm the Antichrist!!!!

Bet they never guessed it would be a middle-aged American woman! Haha--yeah, we evil ones are clever like that. :twisted:

Sorry, love, it's me. Vegetarian vicar of the ecumenical website Mission of St. Clare.

Of course, I'm a middle-aged American woman, too, so maybe it's the both of us together?

Jerry_B said:
Yes - it's odd that pacifism is bundled in with being a trait of the Anti-Christ. So what's 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' all about then? Tsk.
I think that's the point. A wolf in sheeps clothing if you like.

It looks as if Benny agrees with the preacher.

Papal praise for preacher of Vatican Lenten Retreat

Vatican, Mar. 5, 2007 (CWNews.com) - As the Lenten Retreat concluded at the Vatican on March 3, Pope Benedict XVI (bio - news) thanked Cardinal Giacomo Biffi, the preacher for this year’s spiritual exercises.

Cardinal Biffi, the retired Archbishop of Bologna, had delivered a series of meditations for the Pope and the leaders of the Roman Curia during the week-long retreat, held in the Redemptoris Mater chapel. In thanking the preacher, Pope Benedict told the cardinal that he had “taught use to lift our hearts toward the invisible, towards true reality. And you gave us the means by which we may respond every day to the challenges of that reality."

The Pope went on to say that the outspoken Italian cardinal-- who during one meditation had referred to the “spirit of the Antichrist” in the enthusiasms of the age-- had delivered a “very accurate and precise diagnosis of our situation today.”

Cardinal Biffi, the Pontiff said, had “showed us how, behind so many phenomena of our time, apparently far removed from religion and from Christ, is a question, an expectation, a desire; and that the only true response to this desire... is Christ."

The Lenten Retreat had helped the participants to focus their attention on Jesus Christ, and particularly on his Passion, the Pope said. The retreat, which began last Sunday, concluded on Saturday evening.

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=49641

ramonmercado said:
It looks as if Benny agrees with the preacher.

In thanking the preacher, Pope Benedict told the cardinal that he had “taught use to lift our hearts toward the invisible, towards true reality. And you gave us the means by which we may respond every day to the challenges of that reality."

The Pope went on to say that the outspoken Italian cardinal-- who during one meditation had referred to the “spirit of the Antichrist” in the enthusiasms of the age-- had delivered a “very accurate and precise diagnosis of our situation today.”

Okay. They are not sharing concensus reality. Can someone, please, send them back to wherever they came from?

(No wonder churches are emptying!)

:roll:

min_bannister said:
Jerry_B said:
I think that's the point. A wolf in sheeps clothing if you like.

I hope that's what the cardinal was getting at. After all, just as temptation isn't a choice between good an evil but between competing goods (or apparent goods), it would really insult most of humanity to suggest they would all go after someone who was openly promoting evil. But unfortunately, associating "the"* antichrist with certain values tends to associate those values with the antichrist. At least it deflects attention from the accusations that the Pope is the antichrist! ;)

* I put "the" in quotes because "the antichrist" is probably a literary device, more of a conceptual category, than an actual person - or at least an individual.

Or so the antichrist would have you believe.... :twisted:

But surely, the 'real' antichrist - who we can all safely assume to be a cunning little bugger - would actually use his (or her - you never know) influence to portray the 'real' second coming as the actual antichrist. Therefore, this vegetarian ecumenist etc. could be the true christ receiving a bad bit of spin.

After all, these pronouncements have come from the vatican - and doesn't Paisley, Jack Chick et al consider the catholic church as being the vehicle through which the antichrist will arrive on the world stage?

So its a game of poker, really, ain't it - bluff and double bluff. you takes yer chances...

Another Papal preacher. This one is having a go at Nietzsche. Why cant he have a go at post modernism or something?

Papal preacher decries Nietzsche's influence

Vatican, Mar. 16, 2007 (CWNews.com) - Father Raniero Cantalamessa, the preacher to the pontifical household, contrasted the Christian outlook with the thought of philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, in the second his series of Lenten mediations.

Preaching to Pope Benedict XVI (bio - news) and other Vatican officials, Father Cantalamessa continued his talks on the Beatitudes, and called attention to the radical opposition between Nietzsche’s “will to power” and Christ’s praise for the meek and humble.

With his exaltation of man’s own strength and his condemnation of Christianity as a religion that fostered a slave mentality, Nietzsche opened the path for Hitler, the papal preacher said. The results of the Nazi experiment show the grave dangers of the pagan philosophy, he said-- while the most admirable advances of modern man illustrate the virtues of Christian charity and compassion for others.

The March 16 meditation by Father Cantalamessa was the second in a series that will continue through the remaining Fridays of Lent, March 23 and 30. The papal preacher spoke in the Redemptoris Mater chapel of the apostolic palace.

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=49916

ramonmercado said:
Another Papal preacher. This one is having a go at Nietzsche. Why cant he have a go at post modernism or something?

Because they haven't caught up to the 21st Century, yet. Nietzsche is news to them.

And here the RCC is the Antichrist or maybe Islam is or maybe both.

Anti-Islamic Christian Conspiracy Theorist Attacks Anti-Catholic Christian Conspiracy Theory about Nimrod for Not Being Anti-Islamic Enough
2/7/2017

A Christian radical who made his career from fomenting anti-Islamic sentiment is now openly attacking other lunatic Christians’ conspiracy theories because they aren’t anti-Islamic enough. Joel Richardson is the author of a number of Islamophobic books like Islamic Antichrist and is a frequent contributor to World Net Daily, a conservative news and opinion of site of dubious credibility. He is the director of a documentary from the site’s film division called End Times Eyewitness. An article posted on WND on Sunday explains Richardson’s new claims, which directly challenge a different Antichrist conspiracy theory, one that directly contradicts Richardson’s own.

To understand what’s going on here, we should probably start with the original Antichrist conspiracy theory and then how Richardson is attempting to undermine it to promote a separate one more in tune with modern evangelical Christian politics.

The conspiracy theory in question was promulgated by Alexander Hislop in his 1853 pamphlet, later expanded into an 1858 book, called The Two Babylons. In the book, Hislop, a Presbyterian theologian, alleged that the Biblical figure of Nimrod founded a Satanic mystery school that became the foundation of the Roman Catholic Church, whose popes secretly indulge in worship of the diabolical Nimrod, the model of the Antichrist. Hislop railed against the Catholic Church and demanded that Christians excise it from the community of believers: “Let every Christian henceforth and for ever treat it as an outcast from the pale of Christianity. Instead of speaking of it as a Christian Church, let it be recognised and regarded as the Mystery of Iniquity, yea, as the very Synagogue of Satan.”

The trouble with this claim, which remains popular among the anti-Catholic wing of evangelical Christianity, is that it cuts off a lucrative potential market for Christian conspiracy theories. Since the late 1970s, when evangelical leaders made common cause with Catholics in the wake of Roe v. Wade, the fiction of a unified conservative faith community has made it more difficult to use traditional Protestant Anti-Catholic propaganda for financial gain while trying to appeal to Catholics to bolster the political power of Christian conservatives. Richardson, therefore, takes issue with Hislop’s conspiracy theory, one that he assumes many in his evangelical audience intuitively believe, as he told Carl Gallup’s Freedom Friday, as transcribed by WND: ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/a...bout-nimrod-for-not-being-anti-islamic-enough

The anti-christ lives in a whitehouse I reckon.

(he that hath an eye...)

Because they haven't caught up to the 21st Century, yet. Nietzsche is news to them.

Off topic: Like my pet peeve ... all those numerologists who never read anything about modern number theory ... or those mystical geometers who know nothing of non-Euclidean geometry ...

Back