• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

anyone fancy a pint?

zarathustraspake

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
For those of us of going to UnCon, how about holding a pub meetup for the Friday evening beforehand? It might be a nice way of getting to know a few faces before the two days of Fortean fun.

Any suggestions of where there's a decent pub to go to?

Convention-going is thirsty work, you know...

Sounds like a great idea. I have no idea about the pubs in that area though.

What kind of pubs d'you like? I can name three - at least - in the immediate vicinity and there are plenty slightly further afield.

Stormkhan said:
What kind of pubs d'you like? I can name three - at least - in the immediate vicinity and there are plenty slightly further afield.

Somewhere that:

a) sells alcohol

and

b) doesn't charge ripoff prices

Waddya got?

Somewhere packed with spirits. Sorry, couldnt resist that one.

Somewhere they won't be showing any sporting events or playing loud music.

cassandra78 said:
Somewhere packed with spirits. Sorry, couldnt resist that one.

Somewhere they won't be showing any sporting events or playing loud music.

Also, preferably not too crowded, though I suspect that asking for such a thing in Central London on a Friday evening is a bit of a vain hope.

I've always found the Head of Steam at Euston station to be a cracking boozer

Not so hot if you're hungry after 8 on a weekend, as I recall.

I suggest avoiding the Euston Flyer if you're going out on the Saturday night. It's the end of the Football Season and you might get caught up in a bit of pub refurbishment, if you know what I mean. :_pished: :splat: (Soccer Hooligans for our American chums)

There is an O'Neill's pub opposite the British Library, usual plastic-Irish theme.

I've had the Lord Russel pub recommended to me as a nice, nearby real aley type pub

Sthenno said:
I've had the Lord Russel pub recommended to me as a nice, nearby real aley type pub

I think that was the one that a bunch of FTMBers hit after the one at Euston filled up with Footy Fans.

Timble2 said:
Sthenno said:

I think that was the one that a bunch of FTMBers hit after the one at Euston filled up with Footy Fans.

i do believe it was, and it is in the same road as the house of fort! lets see if we get our picture taken by more japanese tourists this year.

original_fLeebLe said:
Timble2 said:
Sthenno said:

i do believe it was, and it is in the same road as the house of fort! lets see if we get our picture taken by more japanese tourists this year.

Ladies, gents, I think we've chosen our pub. 8)

The Lord Russell is a good pub- even if it gets a bit busy, there are always the tables outside from which we can taunt tourists. (No, we're not tourists, we're different.) Anyway, if we're not too knackered from the journey down from Edinburgh we may turn up.

You'd better, or we shall taunt you a second time!

More important than getting photographed by Japanese tourists, will any of the photographs taken of the group by people in the group come out?

The taunting's always fun.
Last time I went, 2003 I believe, we scared the living hell out of the pub's locals. People bibbling about SHC tend to attract funny looks.

Some people have such a tenuous grip on reality. I mean, SHC is such a sensible thing to chat about.
So the Lord Russel on friday - what time?

I am up for meeting for a pint on Friday. A good real ale pub sounds great, what time?[/quote]

cheekyimp said:
I am up for meeting for a pint on Friday. A good real ale pub sounds great, what time?
[/quote]

Hmmm, good question. What do you lot reckon? Around 7pm or so?

I won't be able to get there until about 9.30-10, so you'll probably all be hammered by the time I get there...

:shock: Me? Me get pissed at Fort meets? Are you insane? Who has been spreading these foul rumours?

Don't say a word Stormkhan. Or you Anome. In fact no-one that has met me is allowed to comment unless it's to back me up.;)

So sevenish at the Lord Russell? Hopefully we shall be there, if trains behave themselves and His Lordship is up to it.

i doubt i will be their on friday, so save plenty of space for drinking on saturday night :twisted: i hope more people stay out this time and come to camden with us for a late night drink.

Looks like I probably won't get there until about 8pm or so, as my bus doesn't get into London until 6.15pm and I have to check in to my hostel first.

I can't believe I missed this thread. I'm not going to UnCon but will be more than happy to meet up with a bunch of downloadable internet people. See you there. How will I recognise you all, if the people I've not met already aren't there?

Me? Me get pissed at Fort meets? Are you insane? Who has been spreading these foul rumours?

Don't say a word Stormkhan. Or you Anome. In fact no-one that has met me is allowed to comment unless it's to back me up.

So sevenish at the Lord Russell? Hopefully we shall be there, if trains behave themselves and His Lordship is up to it.

*fails to recognise name on list, considers self exempt*

You owe me, like, a million drinks now, lady

Throw said:
You owe me, like, a million drinks now, lady

Damn, the price you pay for trying to cover up drunken behaviour. Still, it probably is my round. :?

I'd definitely like to come for some pre-UnCon drinks, it'd be nice to meet some people from this board in person, but as I've not met any of you before, how easy will a group of Forteans be to spot?

if previous encounters are anything to go by, look out for a large group of people wearing mainly black maintaining dignity for about two minutes and then dissolving into drunken debaucherousness

gridban said:
I'd definitely like to come for some pre-UnCon drinks, it'd be nice to meet some people from this board in person, but as I've not met any of you before, how easy will a group of Forteans be to spot?

Speaking personally, my current efforts to grow my hair long are causing me to resemble a hobbit with a growth spurt, if that's any help recognising me.

But seriously though, it might be useful if one of us acted as a shepherder of lost Forteans. I guess I could volunteer if you like. If people send me a private message, I'll message back with my mobile number.

Back