• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Know What This Is For?

Fewmet is droppings. I think the upchuck material is mentioned in The Once and Future King in the raptor chapter. I don't think pellets. But it's a very old memory. A good excuse to reread the book.

They're called pellets in ornithological circles these days, but I'm sure there's an older falconry related term (falconry seems to be something of a repository for beautiful old words). Pellets - at least the ones I see - tend to be elongated, irregular, and of much looser construction. I'm not sure I'd want to bump into a bird big enough to cough that monster up.

Bamboo clutch pencil?
04881-1001-2-2ww-m.jpg
I had something very similar in the 70s which was used for holding chalk-or that's what I used it for anyway.

Probably a ritual object for making rugs.

Looks like a rug prodder tool. Wool goes down the hollow shaft and through the hole. This is a more modern version.l

hqdefault.jpg

Can we keep this thread going? I want to do a Kenneth Conner pic next.

Last edited:
Now, Now - no cheating you have to be innocently trying to describe what the function of the tool is.

well thank you so much! :pop:
Oh no, you're not -- er, hinting something, are you? If you yourself are an archaeologist I am sure that you must be an exception. But you must admit that your colleagues do use the phrase a little excessively.

We use it as a joke, and when we believe it's an interesting possibility. It's one of the many myths that people enjoy perpetuating of course.

We use it as a joke, and when we believe it's an interesting possibility. It's one of the many myths that people enjoy perpetuating of course.
I seem to recall that the famous Baghdad Battery was originally labelled as a "ritual object." Actually, it depends what you mean by "ritual" I suppose: if you mean "a sequence of actions associated with religious or cult behaviour" then that would be wrong. But if it means "a sequence of actions originally employed to produce certain effects by means of a technology now fallen into disuse" -- it might be right.

Back