• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Know Where I Can Get Hold Of This Play For Today?

merricat

confused particle
It's from 1984, called Z for Zachariah and was directed by Anthony Garner.
I saw it on Vimeo (I think) many years ago and loved it, but have been unable to trace it since. The story centres upon a young girl living alone in a Welsh Valley after a nuclear holocaust.
There appears to be a film with the same title which is more recent, so obviously not that!
Hope someone can help.

Also, If anyone can tell me why small jpegs appear so large here when I upload them, that would be great. Even when I reduce them to 400 pixels they still fill the entire screen.

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 14.27.59.png

The Big Image thing might be becuase you are going for the full image rather than a thumbnail?

I saw it on Vimeo (I think) many years ago and loved it, but have been unable to trace it since. The story centres upon a young girl living alone in a Welsh Valley after a nuclear holocaust.
There appears to be a film with the same title which is more recent, so obviously not that!
Hope someone can help.

Also, If anyone can tell me why small jpegs appear so large here when I upload them, that would be great. Even when I reduce them to 400 pixels they still fill the entire screen.

View attachment 62603
This is something I’d like to see as well. I can’t find the original on YouTube but there’s plenty of pirate copies available on dvd online.

I think that is the one!
I also recall the Vimeo version having no ending.
I would love to see this again, or even better, own a copy. I wonder if it was binned?

@Frideswide, thanks i will have a fiddle with the options, I usually drag and drop.

What I do with large images is copy them into 'paint 3D' and then reduce the canvas size until the pixel count is , say 400x400.
You can then select the resized image, copy and paste.
View attachment 62607
I've tried this, for some reason it stretches even tiny jpegs to fit the screen, so they are super pixellated. Not sure what to do!

EDIT: Ignore me, it seems a lot of my images are screenshots, so even if the original is much smaller the screenshot forces them into 1500 pixels. Not sure how or why but it explains my issue.

Last edited:
I think that is the one!
I also recall the Vimeo version having no ending.
I would love to see this again, or even better, own a copy. I wonder if it was binned?

@Frideswide, thanks i will have a fiddle with the options, I usually drag and drop.
A Play for Today from early 1984 us very unlikely to have been junked.

I'm pretty certain I used to have this recorded on VHS.

Hope someone can help.

View attachment 62603
I read that book years ago. Didn't know it was made into a TV thing. Would love to see it.

Yes it was definitely a novel - by Robert C. O'Brien (better kniown as a children's writer) in 1974. In fact it is an example of `juvenile fiction` long before this genre became the crowded territory that it is now.

I read the book when I was at school - with the approval of my Englsh teacher.

Much later, when I was inching my way into English teaching myself, I was given to understand, by an old hand, that `Z for Zacharia` was very much in favour with the English departments of schools in the UK well into sometime in the Nineties. I don't know if it was ever a `set text` but there would havve been a well thumbed copy in many a school's staff room.

Pondering it, I can sort of see why it would have appealed to Eng Lit teachers of that time (many of whom were soppy liberal-conservatives at heart). It ticks a lot of desired boxes. It is a post-apocalyptic novel (like `Lord of the Flies`) so it's anti-nuclear. It's sort of Girl Powerish without really being feminist. It's sort of sexy, without being at all `improper` - but, above all, it has a sceince fiction-cum-Romantic Suspense plotline of the kind that can appeal equally to girls and boys (that Holy Grail of English teacher's everywhere!)

Last edited:
Yes it was definitely a novel - by Robert C. O'Brien (better kniown as a children's writer) in 1974. In fact it is an example of `juvenile fiction` long before this genre became the crowded territory that it is now.

I read the book when I was at school - with the approval of my Englsh teacher.

Much later, when I was inching my way into English teaching myself, I was given to understand, by an old hand, that `Z for Zacharia` was very much in favour with the English departments of schools in the UK well into sometime in the Nineties. I don't know if it was ever a `set text` but there would havve been a well thumbed copy in many a school's staff room.

Pondering it, I can sort of see why it would have appealed to Eng Lit teachers of that time (many of whom were soppy liberal-conservatives at heart). It ticks a lot of desired boxes. It is a post-apocalyptic novel (like `Lord of the Flies`) so it's anti-nuclear. It's sort of Girl Powerish without really being feminist. It's sort of sexy, without being at all `improper` - but, above all, it has a sceince fiction-cum-Romantic Suspense plotline of the kind that can appeal equally to girls and boys (that Holy Grail of English teacher's everywhere!)
I have a feeling that the TV adaptation was a schools' TV programme.

Back