• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

When I visited Venice (go there, it's just like on telly!) one February, I found it easy to turn a corner and lose oneself, and suddenly be in a little square all alone with only the echoes of others' footsteps and distant voices to be heard........ :shock:

Most eerie, and again, probably very unlike Fulham. ;)

When about 7 or 8, a friend and I were playing "bows and arrows" in a field in broad daylight. We were standing in the middle of the field when this woman came into the field via a gate. She wore brown "hippyish" clothes and was as clear as day. She couldnt miss seeing us. She walked (assumed she walked, couldnt see her feet - angle of field) across the field and out of the field. Immediately through a barbed wire fence and about 20 feet of brambles. We know this as a few mins after she dissapeared, we went to the spot she exited the field and saw nothing except an impenetrable barrier.

:shock:

Get Degs over there NOW!

escargot1 said:
When I visited Venice (go there, it's just like on telly!) one February, I found it easy to turn a corner and lose oneself, and suddenly be in a little square all alone with only the echoes of others' footsteps and distant voices to be heard........ :shock:

Most eerie, and again, probably very unlike Fulham. ;)

I have been to Venice many times, again venice has flag or coble stones with tight narrow streets. This will cause an echo.

London Bridge: Genuine spookiness & bullshit in one even

Thought I'd post an account of my evening at Haunted Happenings' 'London Tombs Experience' early this year.

My friend booked us on it for a laugh - you turn up at 8pm, then you're led round by someone who works at the venue itself, who tells you about all the spooky sightings that have gone on; then some Haunted Happenings (cough) psychics take you round in groups for "vid-jewels" and "see-yonces" in various locations. Finally the best part - you nick off on your own for some exploring, until 2am.

Personally I didn't find any of the "vid-jewels" or "see-yonces" impressive - it was all very Most Haunted. Initially it was frightening because the London Bridge vaults are very much like unmade caves; then they turn off all the lights and ask the spirits to come forth and "do something to one of us". After that I got quite bored (and sleepy!) According to the people leading the sessions, lots of spirits "came through" and a couple of people felt touched, swayed, changes in temperature, etc.

But on one seance some interesting things happened. This area is a London Dungeons-type experience in the day, with lots of models and figures depicting horrific tortures, etc. etc. In one narrow corridor there were a series of (fake!) severed heads hanging from the ceiling. A bunch of us were sitting there, calling out, shining the torch on the walls and the lines of heads which were swaying in the breeze.

Then my friend tugged my sleeve and pointed to the head nearest us: rather than swaying, it was moving stiffly forwards, backwards, forwards, backwards. As though someone were holding it and jerking it back and forth with some force. We watched it for a minute or so then called the others sitting near us, when it stopped. Boo.

Next, our group went to the lower levels with our Haunted Happenings leader to try a seance in an unocccupied room. As we walked into the room there was general chatter in the group, but we all realised we had been hearing, under the chatter, very loudly, a woman sobbing inside the room. The room was very definitely empty, and the sound stopped a few seconds after we'd walked into the middle of the room.

Later, while my friend and I were exploring on our own, we kept stumbling into rooms where seances were being held, so we'd hang around to see if anything would happen, or tiptoe out to continue our adventures.

Once we walked in on a seance so decided to retreat into a corner of the room to stay out of the way. The corner we approached had a little arched area (leading onto wall). We almost went behind the arch, but there were two people already there, apparently talking and taking stuff out of their bags. The arch was quite low so we couldn't see their faces, and my friend and I stayed on our side of the arch.

Suddenly we became aware (literally seconds later) that the people were gone. There was only one exit to the room, and they would have had to come through the arch and bump into us, or pass close by us to come out of the side of the arched area. They hadn't. They just seemed to, um, disappear.

So a few strange things happened - and the common feature was that we "became aware" of them. I found that really interesting. How many other spooky things do I miss out on just through not being very observant?!

The vaults were unmade and windy, so sound could have travelled oddly. And I wouldn't like to speculate on things being faked, but the thing is it was *so* unmade that anything electrical had to run through these very obvious cables on the walls. So that sort of organised fakery seemed unlikelyy.

And the sobbing seemed extremely loud and close. I really didn't take my attention away from the "vanishing" people - they just vanished! It was rather strange.

Who knows - the seances may have been real and the rest suggestion ;)

You don't need electricity for fakes! Victorian physical mediums had a host of snazzy tricks which could be deployed by modern tour venues in order to improve the experience of guests. But with people wandering around on their own in an uncontrolled way and a highly suggestive atmosphere, it might not be necessary, and the tour guides would have to be in on any faking, which is a big security risk right there.

I'm sure a number of plausible, logical possibilities to explain the phenomena you experienced (exits you didn't become aware of, hidden threads, etc.) would become less plausible if you could show us the place in good light, while others would become more so. Nature of the beast. It sounds like you got your money's worth out of something that could have been all cheese, all the time, though.

This is all true. All sorts of hidden doodahs and sound amplification techniques could have been used.

The things that make me doubt it, though, are:

1. The shambolic nature of the setup - the words 'piss up' and 'brewery' spring to mind. Rigging up hidden wotsits seemed beyond them - although, as you say, this may have been all part of the act.

2. We were all wandering around randomly.

3. The emphasis was very much on the "see-yonces" and so on; the wandering around on our own wasn't discouraged, but was very off-the-cuff. And you basically had to fight off the crew or enthusiastic civilians who wanted to do a bit of "calling out" and table-tipping. When we pointed out what we'd heard, the "psychics" poo-poohed it, saying it was probably our imaginations! This from the people who claimed the spirits were present during seances because (and I quote) "Can you see? They've made it a bit darker in here, look". Baffling.

4. The swingy heads were all hidden threadless - we had a good old play with each one - plus we only went there as a splinter group from our party's "main" see-yonce. It was all v impromptu.

5. There really wasn't a hidden exit in the room - we both had a good look. And the vanishing people were only about 5 inches away from us!

But it was late. In a cave, basically. And there was an awful lot of suggestion. It's just that there was an awful lot of scepticism on our part too ;)

We did get our money's worth. We're off on another to Oxford Castle in September! I'll post a report!

The head swinging could have been resonance, which can look a bit wierd when particularly strong - there's plenty of machinery around there that could set off (physical) vibrations.

The figures in the arch disappearing is quite interesting, something similar happened to me some years ago in a (now defunct) bookshop in Woking - I may have posted it around here somewhere, possibly even on this thread. I was in a very narrow aisle - too narrow for anyone to pass. There was a lady further down, flicking through a book and blocking the section I wanted to see, so I waited just inside the aisle for her to finish, and could still see her out of the corner of my eye. She showed no signs of moving on, so I decided to ask for permission to pass, looked up - and she was gone!

While working as a school cook at Portishead Primary School (near Bristol), my mum saw a ghost. It was early in the morning while she was preparing food; she turned around and suddenly it was there in the kitchen with her. Mum said the ghost was a woman, all in grey - her clothes, skin, hair - and could be seen through - not a solid entity. The ghost was leaning against one of those aluminium trolleys they have in kitchens and mum said she just felt that the ghost wanted reassurance somehow, so she said "it's ok - I'm looking after them" (I presume she meant the pupils at the school) and then the ghost disappeared. While you couldn't say my mum's psychic, you could describe her as ever so slightly sensitive to these things. My mum is NOT the sort of person to exaggerate or make up a story like that***.

This would have been about 15 years ago now - I think the school has been relocated or merged with another so possibly the building has now been demolished? - don't live round there so not entirely sure.

***which reminds me - must find somewhere on here to post the UFO encounter my parents had while they were "courting" which my father STILL won't talk about.

Myrtlee said:
***which reminds me - must find somewhere on here to post the UFO encounter my parents had while they were "courting" which my father STILL won't talk about.

Head to the Ufology forum! Looking forward to it!

The closest I had was an experience I had while in bed sometime around perhaps 1995 or 1996. I woke up quite late at night to see a black silhouetted figure standing near my closet, arms held at its sides. After a few moments it disappeared.

Another experience was a few years later, likely 1999 or so, when I distinctly felt one morning someone sit on my bed and put their arms around my shoulders which, needless to say, got me out of bed quickly! Of course no one was there but for some reason I was seized with this feeling that something had happened to my sister (it hadn't).

I'm certain both of these were varying degrees of hypnagogia. I see a real possibility for a lot of nighttime ghosts to be similar hallucinations.

My first post - hello!

Can't say I've ever seen a ghost, but I've definitely had a few spooky encounters. Sometimes seeking an explanation that wasn't "ghosts" threw up more remarkable phenomena that seemed just as unlikely.

In 1996, I was 20 and I'd just got back to England from a year out working in the US, and I was still sleeping off the first "welcome home" hangover when one of my best friends put a letter through the door telling me she was going into hospital to have a brain tumour removed. She told me not to worry and apologised for not having seen me in the flesh before she had to go in, but to come and see her after the op. Two weeks later, she was in intensive care and had never regained consciousness, but I'd heard that people in comas needed to be talked to, and I had SO much to tell her, so I tried to slip in the sort of teasing little gossipy details that would usually have guaranteed her attention. I think I wanted her to wake up and say to me "So, what was that you were saying about..." It never happened though. She died a couple of days later.

When my mum came to tell me she'd just heard from my friend's parents that she was dead, I was devastated. I had been listening to REM's Automatic for the People the night before, and when mum decided I'd probably need to be alone, I pushed the random button on the CD player and it chose "Everybody Hurts" (before it became a daytime commercial radio staple). I felt very strongly that it was my friend communicating with me, as we'd once had a long natter about the band, the song, and the video (I'd been living in Georgia and had managed to walk into at least two places just after members of REM had left). I was very low in the days before her funeral - old people die when you're 20, not your best mates. When the day of the funeral came, 4 of us who considered ourselves her best mates went up to the crematorium together. It was packed with other friends, family and representatives of the school we went to and the businesses she'd worked at, and it being a bright spring day, we all gathered outside. When the memorial service started, they played the music she'd chosen: "Everybody Hurts".

In the following months, I struggled to settle back into life in the UK. Major growing-up-type things'd happened to me while I'd been away, and I had hardly anyone to share it with, most of my mates'd gone off to uni, or were working, and I didn't get myself back into college until September. I remember in that summer that I used to have hypothetical conversations with my departed mate. I knew I was supplying both sides of the conversation, but sometimes, some of the answers I got back from "her" seemed like things that I never would've thought. I shook myself and kept myself on the sane side, knowing it was all just wishful thinking, and gradually got out of the habit.

By early 1997, I'd moved out of my parents house and in with a girl from college, and I was back at the same crematorium, at another funeral for an 18 year old. At college we were always in our little gang of 3, me, my housemate and her boyfriend, and the 4th member of our regular crowd had been his best mate. Just before his final mock A-Level exam, he was at a party, and took himself to bed early. Someone went to wake him up, dragged him downstairs to the kitchen and tried to goad him into a fight. He was stabbed in the heart, and died the next day. Still trying to deal with the first of my losses, I think I was the efficient and stoical friend while the other 2 fell apart. The house was heavy with grief for weeks, but when we started to relax again, we started talking about the guy, and his religious beliefs (stoned on Saturday nights with us, he'd sleep over but leave to take his mum to church on Sunday morning - he was the most popular member of the church's youth group, which surprised us no end!). He'd had a really distinctive way of standing against the door frame to the kitchen, and during one of our conversations, my housemate had her back to the door. I had the oddest sensation that he was there, listening and waiting to say something. Just as I was mentally telling myself to pull myself together, she said to me "He's behind me, isn't he?".

About this time, the male third of our little triplet was working at a pub in the part of the city I'd been born in, miles away from where we were living. It'd been my dad's old local, and I knew it well, but my housemate didn't. We were sitting at a little square table, opposite each other off to one of the sides, she on a little stool, me on a 2seater upholstered bench type thing. I have no idea what we were talking about (possibly discussing her relationship with our barbloke mate) and how things were going at college, when I became really distracted. It was not physical seeing - there was no-one there, but I "saw" my dead friend walk up to the table as if she was supposed to be there. She knew only I could see her, and was revelling in it. She also knew how close I was with my housemate, and let it be known that she didn't trust her. She even sat down next to me to listen in to our conversation. All the time this was going on I was trying to get the thoughts out of my head. I must be going crazy - this was wishful thinking and stupidity, get a grip. I was still however chatting away to my housemate, who stopped, looked to my right where I imagined the "ghost" to be, and said "This is going to sound so weird, but who's sitting next to you?" At which point, my dead friend's response was something along the lines of "Ooh, clever!" and she got up and left us, walking away from the table before I felt she'd really left.

I don't think I told my housemate what had happened til much later. Possibly after we'd had another run in like that.

It was now getting on for winter, and she'd broken up with the bar-bloke, and we were establishing our own ways of getting through college, involving lots of drinking. We found ourselves heading for the Hogshead about quarter of a mile from college, unusual for us because college was surrounded by bars. It was getting dark at about 5pm, and there was a cold wind blowing along the street. We were chatting as usual, but as we passed one of our usual pubs, I had to hurry her along, but as I grabbed her elbow to do it, she was already picking up her pace. We changed our plan right there, and scooted round the corner to the nearest bar. When we got sat down, and were unwrapping ourselves from our coats I asked her why she'd suddenly speeded up. She said I'd probably think she was stupid, and I said "well, I think you'll think I'm stupider." In careful bits of admissions, trying to make sure the other wasn't bull****ing, we managed to work out that we'd both got really spooked just before we'd turned the corner. As we'd been walking arm in arm, I'd looked behind me after we'd passed a door, and (not physically, again) "seen" someone kneeling on the pavement, with his head down, as if he was tying his shoelace, as if we'd just walked around him. As we'd taken a couple more steps, I could see in my head that he'd stood up, and it was our friend who'd been stabbed, but that he had raced up to us from behind to throw his arms around us and give us a hug, I could even sense his smile. My housemate said she'd had a strong feeling that someone was bearing down on us and that although she felt it was him, and that it was a nice thing he wanted to do, she was just too spooked.

I've never since had the same feeling of "seeing" people who weren't there, and I'd never had it before. I can explain it to myself as a result of the incredible stresses I was under - the grief, the horror of their losses, the nature of my social life and mental state after coming home from a year that changed my life in the States, and having to make brand new friends. Maybe I was smoking and drinking too much. But what I can't explain is how someone else could see what I had seen, and ask me about it before I'd said anything.

I've always been interested in spooky things in a vaguely Fortean way, before I knew there was someone's name to it. I've got quite a few little stories, and I'll try to find appropriate places to put them.

Hope I've not blathered on too long!

If you're telling a coherent story, there's no such thing as blathering on too long. Pushing complex theories expressible only with invented jargon, that's when the posts get too long.

Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing. Although not impressive from the point of view of direct evidence (and what ghost story ever is, really?), the shared nature of your experiences requires anyone who wants to put it down to psychological factors to take into account or postulate theories that are in themselves a little weird. Ghosts may not be the simplest explanation in the strictest scientific sense (the principle of parsimony being expressed as "thou shalt not needlessly multiply entities"), but they are simpler in the common sense of explaining in terms of knowns. If both of you experience something, it should be an objective experience; explanations for how a subjective experience can be objectified can be difficult to wrap the brain around and defy common sense. "Ghost" is a label, rather than an explanation; but it's a handy, comprehensible one, and in such cases I for one am inclined to call it close enough for government work.

Thanks PeniG.

I've spoken about these events with friends at the odd times over the years when the conversation turned to all things supernatural, but I've never written the story down before. When it's pinned down on the page (or screen), it somehow seems obvious. If I was reading this as someone else's story, I'd say here were 2 people tuned into each other due to being housemates and very close friends, and that mannerisms or behaviour gave away my state of mind and that my housemate picked up on them with very lucky guesses and astute questions. Perhaps "wishful thinking" in this case satisfied our separate needs to be reassured that we'd never lose the presence of these young people who disappeared suddenly and painfully. Makes sense to me.

I don't believe in ghosts. I believe in a human need to remember and be remembered, and the value of individual relationships that the people left behind when someone dies miss so much that they can create anything out of a memory, and memories become stories. At least, that's the sense i managed to make of these 2 encounters!

I think I saw a Ghost in the Ladies' Room

I was at a big Catholic church near my house on Friday during the day when the place was almost deserted, and before I left had to go visit the ladies' room, at the end of a long hall recently built on the outside of the church. It was so deserted I left my purse on the sink! Anyway, I was in the stall when I heard the "pumff-pumpff" of the door opening (it had one of those air-pressure door closers on it), then I heard a few light footsteps in the restroom. My only thought was that I hoped no one in church would rifle my purse. A second later, I could see a white shape move across the narrow space between the door and the hinge, and I assumed someone was going into the stall next to me. But suddenly it was just too quiet, no footsteps, something seemed odd, although I wasn't scared, just curious. I bent down and peeked and saw that no one was out there, and no one was in the stall next too me, and I realized I was totally alone. At this point, I got this weird cold creepy feeling all over, and my hair stood on end! I wasn't terrifed or anything, just that creepy feeling, but I pulled up my underpants and left as quickly as I could! Didn't wash my hands! It was only then that I started wondering what I had seen.

The hall was totally empty when I left. Thinking back, it seemed odd when the white shape moved there were no footsteps anymore, and the shape was completely white, although this didn't compute at the time.

illuminati; loved the experience you had in the toilet (and I mean that in the best possible way!). I also would have pulled up my smalls and legged it out quick smart. Was it definitely not a church helper seeing of the loos were empty?

A ghost in the ladies room

linesmachine,
I don't >think< so but one can never be absolutely sure. There were about 3 other ladies in the church sanctuary at the time, but when I high-tailed it out of there the hall was empty.

A totally >rational< explanation might be that someone opened the door to the ladies' room, and I heard that, and since I was a little anxious about my purse out there, I imagined the white shape moving past. When I saw it my first thought was relief that the person left my purse alone. Although it wasn't exactly reassuring when it didn't have any feet underneath!

Alternate paranormal theory: A few years ago, a woman committed suicide inside the church in a particularly horrible way - she set herself on fire in the confessional. The ladies' room being built on the outside of the church, perhaps the suicide's spirit is trapped there, trying to get back in (since suicide is a particularly heinous sin to many old-line Catholics, although nowadays more likely to be seen as evidence of mental disorder).

There is a men's room right next to the ladie's room, and although I didn't see any men in church that day, I wanted to go back on a quiet day with my husband and have him open the men's room door and see how that sounds to me in the ladies'.

I've seen several but the two clearest spring to mind:

I was walking towards the cashpoint in the local Railway station in it's large spacious hall, in front of me about 3 meters away was a small old women bent over and dressed in black pulling a black two wheeled shopping trolley that are quite rare these days. I glanced up at the clock to check the time and glanced down again and the women had completely vanished. This was impossible as I had clear view of all the exits and the hall is pretty huge and me and the lady were the only "people" present at the time in the middle of the Large hall of the station. She had simply vanished. All I remember thinking at the time was "you don't see many of those trolleys anymore", looked up, looked down and she had gone.

The other time was when I was cycling home from work after a nightshift, I was tootling along a wide shared foot/bike path. On one side are railings and quite a drop onto train tracks and then the sea. On the other side was a busy road chocker with fast-flowing traffic due to it still being rush hour.

In front of me around 10 meters away was a couple having a heated conversation and looking out to sea, almost like they were looking for someone or something. Ahead of them was a tall white haired lady walking along dressed in gray going at quite a pace.

I slowed down when getting close to the couple as you do as pedestrians can be unpredictable and maneuvered around them, I then looked up only to find the lady in gray having vanished. I slowed down and scanned the traffic and saw no sign of her, I also checked the two meter drop onto the rail tracks and nothing. She had been around 15 meters away, (I've checked it with my bike comp), and she had another 15-20 meters to go before she came to a junction. I would imagine a professional athlete would have struggled running that distance in the few seconds I took my eyes off her. Even if she got over the road through the traffic there is nothing on that side apart from a cliff and I can't imagine many old people jumping the two meters onto rail tracks. Either way I checked both and she had gone.

More spooky stuff from my past…

When I was 10, we moved into a large detached house because my parents wanted to expand their private day nursery business. I remember my folks coming back from their visit before they agreed the sale and coming into my bedroom to tell me that they'd discussed what the old family would leave behind and they'd said "carpets, light fittings, ghosts!" The place was just a little bit spooky underneath it's fantastic big, airy, 1930s redbrick-ness, perhaps because it was a big house at the brow of a hill. It had a massive garden and was a great place for the nursery, and a top place to grow up.

The last owners of the house had told my parents the things they had experienced in the house, which seemed to be haunted by 2 separate entities (I’ll do the “Milkmaid” stories another time and stick with the ground floor phenomenon!). The house came to my folks’ attention because one of the daughters of the house worked for them for a while. When she and her twin sister turned 16, a couple of years before we moved in, their parents had hired a photographer to come and record the day. He set up a shot in the dining room (which became part of the nursery, and was where my parents were standing looking through the hatch into the kitchen), with the 2 girls standing next to each other. When he developed the negatives, he called their mother to apologize because it looked like he’d somehow made a double exposure on the dining room shot. When the family saw it, the shot had somehow managed to capture someone standing in between the girls with his arms round their shoulders, a young guy, possibly the same age. The negative was destroyed.

None of this worried us, but shortly after we moved in, we started having low-level strange occurrences. The first thing I remember was that Mum and Dad were leaning through the serving hatch into the very big kitchen/diner, discussing how to best use the space late one evening, when the doors of the glass cupboard above them opened slowly and 3 pint-pots which were kept there fell more than 5 feet onto the wooden floor below, Instead of smashing, they landed as they had been standing in the cupboard, as if they'd been placed there carefully.

A few nights later, they were in the living room late at night when they thought they heard footsteps in the kitchen. On checking it out, they saw a series of potatoes distributed across the floor at roughly stride length intervals. They'd come from a huge paper sack that was still upright behind the door.

There were all sorts of oddnesses over the next few years that were centred in the kitchen, and we took to pretty much expecting odd stuff, we weren’t surprised, and certainly weren’t scared. When I was about 12, I remember being in there trying to cook flapjack with a friend who knew all the stories, when a honeydew melon that had been ripening on a shelf (which for extra oddness was badly set and sloped back towards the wall) for about a fortnight just rolled up and off the shelf, fell the 5 or so feet straight onto the hard wood floor and split exactly in half, with only a thin membrane of yellow skin left to hold it together. My mate decided it was definitely time to go home.

During a sleepover in the nursery/former dining room, 4 of us (13 yr old girls) were woken up by the sound of footsteps crossing the kitchen floor, and they sounded like someone in high heels. My friends first thought it was my Mum coming to check on us, but my Mum is 5foot1, and the highest heels she’s ever worn probably made her 5foot2, and the stride we heard was of someone tall, walking slowly to the middle of the kitchen, turning, and walking back to the door. I got up and looked through the hatch but could see no-one. Despite our room being warm enough to sleep in, it was very, very cold in the kitchen, but even as I tried to persuade myself that the footsteps were just the wooden floor tiles adjusting in the cold, my friends were putting all the pieces of stories together.

One day, a very old man who lived a few houses down the hill asked to look around the nursery, to see all the changes we had made to the house. He had lived on the street for years, and told us the last time he’d been in the house was when it had belonged to a family who had lost the first of a pair of twin sons at birth. The second developed leukemia, being brought home to see out his final days when he was 16. The mother, a very elegant and tall lady, allegedly died a few months later of a broken heart. He said he used to see the light on in the kitchen from his house and had seen her walking back and forth late into the night on many occasions.

I haven’t even started on the stories from upstairs.

badwolf said:
The last owners of the house had told my parents the things they had experienced in the house, which seemed to be haunted by 2 separate entities (I’ll do the “Milkmaid” stories another time and stick with the ground floor phenomenon!). The house came to my folks’ attention because one of the daughters of the house worked for them for a while. When she and her twin sister turned 16, a couple of years before we moved in, their parents had hired a photographer to come and record the day. He set up a shot in the dining room (which became part of the nursery, and was where my parents were standing looking through the hatch into the kitchen), with the 2 girls standing next to each other. When he developed the negatives, he called their mother to apologize because it looked like he’d somehow made a double exposure on the dining room shot. When the family saw it, the shot had somehow managed to capture someone standing in between the girls with his arms round their shoulders, a young guy, possibly the same age. The negative was destroyed.

I'd have loved to have seen that photo. What a cheeky spectre. Any chance it survived (the photo, that is)?

Me too! I was always suspicious of that part of the story, what with there having been proof, but then it conveniently disappearing. I'm a photographer now, and I know I wouldn't delete it if I captured anything like this (although I'm totally unpersuaded about photography's ability to detect or record spooky phenomena). Apparently the mother of the family in before us insisted that it be destroyed and called a priest in to do an exorcism in the back room. The family had no reason to lie to my parents, unless they were conscious of how to build a good story.

Even having grown up there and having seen all these strangenesses, I was never totally convinced. I'm sure there must be some other explanation, but in the last 20years, nothing's occurred to me.

Ok, the upstairs story although it's my Dad's really, not mine.

Before we moved in, the girl who lived there and who worked for my parents at the time told them about a "milkmaid" they'd seen in the house. Glimpses of a young woman with blonde hair, dressed in white, old fashioned clothes, had been seen by various members of the family walking about upstairs, sometimes seen reflected briefly in a mirror, sometimes going out of sight round a corner, not to be found when she was followed. When we moved in, my young ghost-hungry self led expeditions with my friends, trying to find out how the house might have come to have a female ghost. We found broken grave stones embedded in the crazy paving, saw the church, built in the 1920s or '30s at the back of the house, and figured there was something spooky about that. We looked at the street, and figured that our house was similar to only one other and the rest were all post-war semis. The other was a large red-brick bungalow, opposite a sprawling old former manor house called Allerton Hall. According to local knowledge the 2 different houses were built for themselves by the builders who built the rest of the semis.

My parents had to register the change of use for the premises so that they could run the nursery, and when my dad was going through the details with the planning office, they asked him all sorts of questions. The details they had on file for the land suggested that it was a "one room dwelling" on the land of Allerton Hall. The details hadn't been changed when the house had been built, we thought in the 30s, but it makes it difficult to tell without the right records.

From this, we cobbled together an idea about a farm girl in love with the man from the big house, or a cholera epidemic (without any evidence at all...) and for a long while, that's where we left it.

Then one tea-time a few years later, my family was sitting down to eat and catch up with each other, and my Mum said "Oh yes, Dad's got something to tell you," and nudged him to make him tell me. As if it was the most normal thing in the world, my Dad said "I saw the ghost today." He went on to recount how he's been taking one of the babies upstairs for a quiet kip in the cot in the spare bedroom at the back at about 10.30. As he got about 1/3 of the way up the stairs, Dad thought he saw someone cross the landing from the bathroom, but thought it was probably me. He put the baby into the cot and settled her, then as he was closing the door, he saw another flash of while clothes and a blonde plait, out of the corner of his eye. It also struck him that I was at school, and my hair is dark. His next thought was that it must have been one of the kids on work experience, and he came downstairs to ask my Mum. He thought, as sometimes happened, that maybe my Mum had sent one of the teenagers who came on school placements up to get a quick wash, having disapproved of either BO or too much perfume (Mum's nose was tuned to smells that would upset kids). He said the movement was as if someone didn't want to be seen, and he supposed that running from the bathroom into the storeroom as she had, she must've been hiding in there. Mum pointed out that there was no-one else in until the afternoon, and that what he'd seen and where matched the descriptions the previous family had given us. "You've seen the milkmaid!"

God, I was jealous! I asked him all sorts of questions, but this is all he could say. There couldn't have been anyone there, but he'd seen someone, and it was so commonplace that he thought it was me, so it hadn't alarmed him. Dad said he couldn't explain it, but he wasn't scared. It was just strange.

as with so many other reports, i can't be sure that what i saw was a ghost, but it was strange nonetheless.
I was out walking with my parents and our dog, probably in May or early June a few years ago. the area was mostly open, a few copses of trees on the horizon but wide quite boggy fields. to the right of where we walked ran a stream (deep enough that we wanted to keep the dog out of it!) and then a mostly disused train track which only operates as a line in the summer for tourist trips on the steam train.
hearing a distant whistle we stopped in the middle of our field to watch the train, we also happened to be opposite a very steep muddy bank which was directly on the other side of the track and where for years has been a 'pixie village'. basically lots of old garden gnomes propped into the bank going about their daily business. it's dead naff but tourists (and i) love it.
aaaanyway... i saw a man (i assume it was a male, his face was obscured) on the far side of the track, dressed in a trenchcoat and a sort of trilby, initially i thought it was weird because where he was standing was only a foot or so from the track itself and with nowhere to hide, with the bank being directly next to him, when the train would rush past.
My parents saw him too and we half joked about him having to lie flat against the gnomes to avoid the train. it was maybe five minutes or so before the train actually passed us and in that time it began to occur to me that his dress was slightly out of place, i don't remember exactly what he was wearing trouser-wise only that they were a similar hue to the coat and hat, he also seemed to have regular and clean shoes on while we were clad in muddy wellies.
I couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong with the scenario, but nothing seemed right with it, if you know what i mean?
We saw the man right up to the point at which the train rumbled past, it passed between us in the field and the man on the other side of the track and when it had gone... so had he.

now there was, to our eyes, nowhere that he could have disappeared into and even ten, fifteen, twenty minutes later i was still looking around for him. it would have been easy to spot someone in such an open space, we passed other walkers and could see people on the approach. so where the hell did trenchcoat man go!?

I'd appreciate some ideas!

(I edited out some gobbledegook!)

Sounds like you caught a MIB on your tail. :shock:

They think they're blending in. ;)

Back