Anyone Seen A Ghost?

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Too right, Snail. I pretty well lived in that section of our village library in the 1970s. And when my dad subscribed to 'Man, Myth & Magic' - which I still have and read a lot - I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. He also used to buy me folklore books - Ruth L. Tongue is one I remember and probably should track down an old copy of...

I'm seriously thinking of getting on with it and doing a Yorkshire ghosts book as my next big project. Am convinced there's loads of uncollected and previously unpublished, or very obscure old, stories out there for the finding.
You should write it! Have you come across Harry Ludlum? He wrote such books. I tracked down his The Restless Ghosts of Ladye Place a few years ago, followed by one I hadn't even known existed until then. Bliss!

Ludlum personally collected people's stories and wrote them up in a sympathetic and eloquent style, always with direct quotes so you feel you're listening to the actual witness.

Here's a page about him -
Harry Ludlum

Until I saw that page I knew nothing about him. Didn't even know he was still alive up to 2010.

I'd buy your book! You could interview my niece who lives in Yorkshire. She has a ghostly little boy in her house. Nothing scary, well, she's a niece of mine so it wouldn't rattle her! We like ghosts.

Ghost In The Machine

Abominable Snowman
Not heard of him so thanks for the tip off. Will investigate! That style sounds similar to mine - I just let the story tell itself in the words of whoever - firsthand accounts are always more compelling than something being re-framed in the writer's words, I think.

Just as soon as I've finished the current one (which is nearly done), think there might be a ghosty one on the way... Would take a while, but there are some great stories out there and have heard a number firsthand which I know haven't been collected. Which makes me think there's a tonne of new stories as well as old, obscure ones (like the black shuck account in the village where I currently live - mentioned in an unpublished set of notes by a man who was famous for something else, but had an interest in Yorkshire dialect - and he re-told that story to record the dialect, with no real interest in folklore or the supernatural... by thinking laterally you can find some great sources!)

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Not heard of him so thanks for the tip off. Will investigate! That style sounds similar to mine - I just let the story tell itself in the words of whoever - firsthand accounts are always more compelling than something being re-framed in the writer's words, I think.

Just as soon as I've finished the current one (which is nearly done), think there might be a ghosty one on the way... Would take a while, but there are some great stories out there and have heard a number firsthand which I know haven't been collected. Which makes me think there's a tonne of new stories as well as old, obscure ones (like the black shuck account in the village where I currently live - mentioned in an unpublished set of notes by a man who was famous for something else, but had an interest in Yorkshire dialect - and he re-told that story to record the dialect, with no real interest in folklore or the supernatural... by thinking laterally you can find some great sources!)
There are loads of stories on'ere too, though they are plundered for the FT books.

(Which might stop now we're not hosted by the magazine.)

Ghost In The Machine

Abominable Snowman
There are loads of stories on'ere too, though they are plundered for the FT books.

(Which might stop now we're not hosted by the magazine.)
Yes, I'd have to try and collect stories offline/via email initially, so I was using new material with people's full permission in place, so it would take a bit of admin, but maybe a long slow-burning book I could work on alongside something I can do a bit more quickly...

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Yes, I'd have to try and collect stories offline/via email initially, so I was using new material with people's full permission in place, so it would take a bit of admin, but maybe a long slow-burning book I could work on alongside something I can do a bit more quickly...
You could have all my scary yarns!

Schrodinger's Zebra

Lost a few tiles on re-entry..
You should write it! Have you come across Harry Ludlum? He wrote such books. I tracked down his The Restless Ghosts of Ladye Place a few years ago, followed by one I hadn't even known existed until then. Bliss!

Ludlum personally collected people's stories and wrote them up in a sympathetic and eloquent style, always with direct quotes so you feel you're listening to the actual witness.

Here's a page about him -
Harry Ludlum

Until I saw that page I knew nothing about him. Didn't even know he was still alive up to 2010.

I'd buy your book! You could interview my niece who lives in Yorkshire. She has a ghostly little boy in her house. Nothing scary, well, she's a niece of mine so it wouldn't rattle her! We like ghosts.

I just checked our bookshelf... we have a book listed in that link: "Elliot O'Donnell's Casebook of Ghosts" :)

It's an excellent read. :reading:

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
I haven't but sometimes I hear the sound of paws out side my bedroom door I think it's likely Angelica oh just remembered I have seen a ghost of my first cat who was put to sleep 2 or 3 years ago there was no detail because it was in almost complete darkness. I also remember when he was alive for some reason I'd see cat shaped mists darting around in the dining room wich I have no explanation for.

Last edited: