• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Absolutely brilliant! I wonder if this happened a lot there?

At first I thought it was some sort of weird reflection of something, and at that time I did not think I was seeing anything paranormal,

Reminds me of when I saw my old dog Rocky apparently reflected in the glass of a door, walking into a wall.
I thought 'There's Rocky!' then ''old on, Rocky died on Monday!'

It was definitely him, with his brindle coat and silly curly tail. On his way to the doggy Elysian fields to jump in muddy ditches and chase rabbits forever.

Absolutely brilliant! I wonder if this happened a lot there?

Reminds me of when I saw my old dog Rocky apparently reflected in the glass of a door, walking into a wall.
I thought 'There's Rocky!' then ''old on, Rocky died on Monday!'

It was definitely him, with his brindle coat and silly curly tail. On his way to the doggy Elysian fields to jump in muddy ditches and chase rabbits forever.

Hi Scargy.

To my knowledge no. Whenever I would see my mate, I would (only half-jokingly) ask if any more ghosts were seen in his parents’ house, and in return I’d get “what a load of BS, there’s no such thing” or “that sister of mine is bloody mental” etc.

His parents continued to live in that house until just a few years back, and as far as I know the incident with the little girl was the first and last time anything was seen there, which in it's self is kinda interesting.

If you are talking about reoccurring hauntings, then there were a couple of things that happened in an ex-Girlfriend’s grandmothers house that you might find interesting. It was such a long time ago though, I'll have to remember the details before I post anything.

*Taps foot*

Impatience is not a virtue Scargy. :)

This happened donkeys years ago - early 90’s, such a long time, but this is how I remember it

I once dated a girl in which I had to walk past her Grandmother’s house on my way home from work.

Once a week, her Grandmother employed the services of a mobile hairdresser, and walking home one evening I could see this hairdresser peering through the frosted glass of her front door, looking a little worried. I walked over and asked if anything was wrong, and he told me that he had turned up at the allotted time and had rang the doorbell a few times, but with no response - he found this to be a little unusual, so looked through the glass to see if he could see anything.

As he did so he said he saw the blurry image of a large man, walk down the stairs, and then walk up the hallway before disappearing into the kitchen.

I asked him to step aside so I could look, I placed my face up against the glass and although distorted, saw what I can only describe as a man wearing an old fashioned white vest (I could see the pinkish flesh of the arms, shoulders and neck, but the white of the torso) walk towards the front door but then veer off to his left and enter what would have been the living room.

I told the hairdresser of this and he confirmed that was exactly the image he had seen. We then discussed whether we should call the police, and as we were doing so the grandmother appeared – she had forgotten about the hairdressing appointment and had popped into a neighbour’s house for a cup of tea.

Using her key we opened the door and the hairdresser and I made a thorough search of the house and found nothing.

A few months after this my ex and I took the Grandmother grocery shopping one Saturday morning, and while standing outside her front door with bags of shopping waiting for the Nan to find the key in her handbag, I spotted movement from within. I looked through the glass and pretty much saw what I seen a few months previously, but this time the figure was walking away from the front door in the direction of the kitchen.

I have no idea what on earth it could have been – some weird reflection from perhaps a car going past at either the front or the rear of the property….?...Really don’t know.

The nan had a neighbour that claimed to be a medium, so I mentioned what was seen to her, and she looked surprised, as she said she had never felt anything in that house, despite being the Nans neighbour for 40 plus years.

Impatience is not a virtue Scargy. :)

This happened donkeys years ago - early 90’s, such a long time, but this is how I remember it

I once dated a girl in which I had to walk past her Grandmother’s house on my way home from work.

Once a week, her Grandmother employed the services of a mobile hairdresser, and walking home one evening I could see this hairdresser peering through the frosted glass of her front door, looking a little worried. I walked over and asked if anything was wrong, and he told me that he had turned up at the allotted time and had rang the doorbell a few times, but with no response - he found this to be a little unusual, so looked through the glass to see if he could see anything.

As he did so he said he saw the blurry image of a large man, walk down the stairs, and then walk up the hallway before disappearing into the kitchen.

I asked him to step aside so I could look, I placed my face up against the glass and although distorted, saw what I can only describe as a man wearing an old fashioned white vest (I could see the pinkish flesh of the arms, shoulders and neck, but the white of the torso) walk towards the front door but then veer off to his left and enter what would have been the living room.

I told the hairdresser of this and he confirmed that was exactly the image he had seen. We then discussed whether we should call the police, and as we were doing so the grandmother appeared – she had forgotten about the hairdressing appointment and had popped into a neighbour’s house for a cup of tea.

Using her key we opened the door and the hairdresser and I made a thorough search of the house and found nothing.

A few months after this my ex and I took the Grandmother grocery shopping one Saturday morning, and while standing outside her front door with bags of shopping waiting for the Nan to find the key in her handbag, I spotted movement from within. I looked through the glass and pretty much saw what I seen a few months previously, but this time the figure was walking away from the front door in the direction of the kitchen.

I have no idea what on earth it could have been – some weird reflection from perhaps a car going past at either the front or the rear of the property….?...Really don’t know.

The nan had a neighbour that claimed to be a medium, so I mentioned what was seen to her, and she looked surprised, as she said she had never felt anything in that house, despite being the Nans neighbour for 40 plus years.
Maybe the granny had a secret occupant of the house and she wasn't aware of it?

Mr Turpin

I am struck by the fact that both your accounts involve looking through doors/doorways, at an angle or through glass.

I wonder if these, for want of a better word, "filters" help in enabling the viewing of the ghosts?

Indeed. Some people believe ghosts/spirits can be best seen in this way, along with reflections in mirrors and other glass. My mother's family believe this. And yes, I have seen such things. Who knows?

This is a good one. What I wanted to remark on was.. the figure made up of "thousands of dots of light". Because that's precisely what I saw, as a kid, when I saw the full body apparition in our house. I was only a kid - it was the early 1970s - and I remember distinctly thinking it looked a bit like an image from a comic, because it was made up of little dots... not solid (before we had the concept 'pixellated') but dots of coloured light. Maybe that doesn't convey it but that's the nearest I can get. I don't recall whether it was transparent as such and maybe whatever was behind it was in darkness. So it wasn't see through as such but also, it totally wasn't solid. This dots-of-light apparition... I wonder how common it is? I rarely seem to read accounts that describe that but it is precisely what I saw, too.

There's a story on'ere from some years ago about an office worker who saw such a figure. It's originally from b3ta's Question Of The Week which is not a jokey 'yarn' site.

Spiritual Customer

Heard this from an acquaintance who was doing some contract work in an office in Chester. Now, Chester was founded as a Roman fort and there are lots of archeological digs going on at any one time. The office my friend - we'll call him Paul - was working in was right opposite this dig where they reckon they'd found a second Minerva shrine, there was a lot of excitment over it and during the day the office workers would watch the excavations from the first floor window.

One night Paul decided to stay late to finish some work. This was in October so it was dark outside by half 6. Now the room he was working in was a big open plan affair, with windows at the far end and a double line of tall filing cabinets in front of the windows. Paul was working at a terminal at the other end of the room, on a desk up against the wall so his back was to the room and the windows and filing cabinets were some way off to his left.

He got quite into his work and oblivious of his surroundings, as you do, but at about 7 pm he became aware of a banging sound, as if someone was running up and down between the rows of filing cabinets and punching them. This startled him, but it only happened the once so he put it down to 'building sound' and set to work again.

About ten minutes later the sound happened again, only louder. Paul tells me that he literally felt his blood run cold, as no way could this sound be attributed to any settling or shifting building noise. It sounded like someone or something was running up and down between the rows of cabinets and hitting them with a something metal.

Now these cabinets were only 4 foot high so if there was someone there he'd have been able to see them... unless they were a midget or a child... or were bending down in order to stay out of sight...

The sound got so loud that Paul closed down his PC and was getting ready to leg it - no way was he going to investigate - when the sound abruptly ceased.

Then, in the sudden silence, a figure rose up from behind the front row of filing cabinets.

At this point Paul tells me that he felt the most scared he had ever been in his entire life. He literally could not move.

This figure appeared to be the outline of a man - totally black, like a shadow come to life. Paul coud only see the torso, head and shoulders as it was behind the filing cabinets, but as he watched it walked forwards THROUGH THE CABINETS and marched down the office towards him.

Paul couldn't even scream as the spectre drew nearer. It was very definitely the outline of a man, with striding legs, swinging arms and an odd, oval shaped head. And as it came nearer to Paul, he noticed the weirdest thing of all about the apparation. He noticed that it wasn't solid at all.

It was made out of tiny black spheres about the size of a marble, arranged in the three-dimensional shape of a man.

Paul remembers seeing the hand of this shape, the fingers opening and closing as it marched closer and closer, the fingers made of individual black marbles...

It was coming straight for him but he could not move. And, as it passed by him, it paused - AND TURNED TO LOOK AT HIM with its blank, oval head. As though it had just noticed him.

At that point Paul broke and ran blindly from the room, screaming his lungs out. He can't remember much about the next few minutes but the security guards accosted him running through the foyer crying and shouting.

He refused to go back to the room, in fact refused to go back into the building, and lost the contract.

He told people what he had seen but no-one else ever saw or heard anything unusual happen in that building.

The archaelogical dig was a false alarm, they never found a second Minerva temple, instead all they found was remnants of a Roman gladius (sword).

There's a story on'ere from some years ago about an office worker who saw such a figure. It's originally from b3ta's Question Of The Week which is not a jokey 'yarn' site.

Spiritual Customer

Heard this from an acquaintance who was doing some contract work in an office in Chester. Now, Chester was founded as a Roman fort and there are lots of archeological digs going on at any one time. The office my friend - we'll call him Paul - was working in was right opposite this dig where they reckon they'd found a second Minerva shrine, there was a lot of excitment over it and during the day the office workers would watch the excavations from the first floor window.

One night Paul decided to stay late to finish some work. This was in October so it was dark outside by half 6. Now the room he was working in was a big open plan affair, with windows at the far end and a double line of tall filing cabinets in front of the windows. Paul was working at a terminal at the other end of the room, on a desk up against the wall so his back was to the room and the windows and filing cabinets were some way off to his left.

He got quite into his work and oblivious of his surroundings, as you do, but at about 7 pm he became aware of a banging sound, as if someone was running up and down between the rows of filing cabinets and punching them. This startled him, but it only happened the once so he put it down to 'building sound' and set to work again.

About ten minutes later the sound happened again, only louder. Paul tells me that he literally felt his blood run cold, as no way could this sound be attributed to any settling or shifting building noise. It sounded like someone or something was running up and down between the rows of cabinets and hitting them with a something metal.

Now these cabinets were only 4 foot high so if there was someone there he'd have been able to see them... unless they were a midget or a child... or were bending down in order to stay out of sight...

The sound got so loud that Paul closed down his PC and was getting ready to leg it - no way was he going to investigate - when the sound abruptly ceased.

Then, in the sudden silence, a figure rose up from behind the front row of filing cabinets.

At this point Paul tells me that he felt the most scared he had ever been in his entire life. He literally could not move.

This figure appeared to be the outline of a man - totally black, like a shadow come to life. Paul coud only see the torso, head and shoulders as it was behind the filing cabinets, but as he watched it walked forwards THROUGH THE CABINETS and marched down the office towards him.

Paul couldn't even scream as the spectre drew nearer. It was very definitely the outline of a man, with striding legs, swinging arms and an odd, oval shaped head. And as it came nearer to Paul, he noticed the weirdest thing of all about the apparation. He noticed that it wasn't solid at all.

It was made out of tiny black spheres about the size of a marble, arranged in the three-dimensional shape of a man.

Paul remembers seeing the hand of this shape, the fingers opening and closing as it marched closer and closer, the fingers made of individual black marbles...

It was coming straight for him but he could not move. And, as it passed by him, it paused - AND TURNED TO LOOK AT HIM with its blank, oval head. As though it had just noticed him.

At that point Paul broke and ran blindly from the room, screaming his lungs out. He can't remember much about the next few minutes but the security guards accosted him running through the foyer crying and shouting.

He refused to go back to the room, in fact refused to go back into the building, and lost the contract.

He told people what he had seen but no-one else ever saw or heard anything unusual happen in that building.

The archaelogical dig was a false alarm, they never found a second Minerva temple, instead all they found was remnants of a Roman gladius (sword).
I've read a version of this story where the ghost is a roman soldier who speak to him in latin. Possibly posted on this forum.

I've read a version of this story where the ghost is a roman soldier who speak to him in latin. Possibly posted on this forum.

Yes, it's posted on this forum but as far as I know only as above.

Mr Turpin

I am struck by the fact that both your accounts involve looking through doors/doorways, at an angle or through glass.

I wonder if these, for want of a better word, "filters" help in enabling the viewing of the ghosts?

Hi Panda.

It didn’t enter my mind that both stories involved me seeing something through glass.

I read your post coming in to work on a commuter train, and it left me a little open mouthed to the extent that my traveling companion asked if I was okay lol.

How interesting.

It puts me in mind of M R James’s a view from a hill. Thanks for pointing that out.

It seems that seeing the uncanny through glass or as a reflection is often how it happens. I've had this as have my family and other people I've beaten ghost stories out of chatted with about the supernatural.

It seems that seeing the uncanny through glass or as a reflection is often how it happens. I've had this as have my family and other people I've beaten ghost stories out of chatted with about the supernatural.
Reminds me of Jonathan Strange travelling by walking through mirrors...

Liminal spaces, like water or anywhere that reflects - and that goes a long, long way back, in our culture.

It's just struck me that twice I've seen 'strange' things in mirrors.

Once as a young child and seeing the 'pillar of white' collapsing into the floor of my parents' bedroom, and once a strange reflection in a mirror in a youth hostel.

There could be something in all this 'through a glass, darkly' stuff.

An odd echo of Pepper’s Ghost:

Could this - somehow - be the explanation of some ghost sightings?

maximus otter
I've always loved this old school trick, I found a youtube tutorial a few years ago on how to do this at home by laying your flat screen TV on its back while playing something pre recorded but the Mrs wouldn't let me try it .. she doesn't want me to break the telly or have the neighbours gawking in through our living room window which is fair enough I suppose .. *humpfh* .. I've even got the giant sheet of Perspex ..

This Guardian article (the landlord talking about the haunted Skirrid Inn) has been posted already in 'Fortean Headlines' - but I thought I'd point out that under the article there are comments which include some 'it happened to me' style ghost tales! (Also much cynicism of course.) I figured you'd like them.

This Guardian article (the landlord talking about the haunted Skirrid Inn) has been posted already in 'Fortean Headlines' - but I thought I'd point out that under the article there are comments which include some 'it happened to me' style ghost tales! (Also much cynicism of course.) I figured you'd like them.

Thank you for posting this. I read all the comments, most of which are variations on the expression 'No you don't!' in reply to the landlord's asserting that he owns a haunted pub. Oh, the sheer wit.

I'd like to visit that pub. Haven't yet been haunted in a pub but I live in hope.

Back in the Eighties (?) l was on patrol in my Panda car when l spotted a column of smoke rising from a road about a mile away. l headed that way to investigate. Peering in that direction it became apparent that there was a car on the carriageway, and that it was well alight. People were walking away from it and toward me, though initially my attention was obviously on the burning car.

As l drew nearer, l saw that the men striding away from the conflagration were Cromwellian soldiers of the Civil War! l’m talking pikes, buff leather jackets, muskets, “Twelve Apostles” bandoliers, the works! My first thought was, “Fuck! l’ve gone through a time warp!

My second - and as it turned out more accurate, though prosaic - thought was, “A bunch of blokes en route to a Sealed Knot reenactment have experienced an unfortunate car fire”.

Made for an interesting shift, though.

maximus otter
Think I posted before - but will reprise it just in case... Husband is a trained first aider and works as - amongst other things - a Roman soldier at an educational site where kids come to learn history. Which means by 9AM one foggy morning he was already fully dressed as a Roman in full kit when he heard/saw a car crash on a nearby A road. So he went to help, totally forgetting he was dressed like that. Luckily the man in the wreckage only had minor injuries but he wondered afterwards how the bloke must've felt when this Roman appeared out of the mist, to help. The man in the accident was a vicar - on his way to officiate at a funeral...

Think I posted before - but will reprise it just in case... Husband is a trained first aider and works as - amongst other things - a Roman soldier at an educational site where kids come to learn history. Which means by 9AM one foggy morning he was already fully dressed as a Roman in full kit when he heard/saw a car crash on a nearby A road. So he went to help, totally forgetting he was dressed like that. Luckily the man in the wreckage only had minor injuries but he wondered afterwards how the bloke must've felt when this Roman appeared out of the mist, to help. The man in the accident was a vicar - on his way to officiate at a funeral...
He should have spoken Latin. The vicar would have been even more freaked.

Back