• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Back then the bare bricks would sometimes be varnished, what WERE people thinking of?

Bare red brick walls are gorgeous. My house is concrete and the only bricks are in the hideous 1980s fire surround.
This proved an advantage as whoever was sent out from the bank to look at the house for the mortgage looked at that and thought the entire house was brick!
We wouldn't have got the mortgage otherwise.
Yes, we have a 1980's era hideous fire surround and either side of the chimney also. That horrible brick that's got a 'rough' texture.

Yes, we have a 1980's era hideous fire surround and either side of the chimney also. That horrible brick that's got a 'rough' texture.
Ours was like that, with an unpainted grey cement finish. Not even original brick colour.

I hacked the sides off so it's just the actual grate now and painted it cream so it looks, well, reasonable.
One day I'll paint the bricks back to brick colour! :chuckle:

I remember seeing horrible varnished walls in old pubs sometimes. They were usually yellow due to all the nicotine though.
You can buy 'nicotine yellow' paint, presumably to give pub ceilings and authentic look. I used to have some.

Really? Good God.
Yup, I wish I could produce the tin to prove it! :chuckle:

Had it in a job lot from a car boot sale years ago when on the lookout for cheap shed paint.

In fact when a pub near 'ere was revamped 20-odd years ago the ceilings were painted to look as if they were already nicotine-stained rather than in a clean white.
More character, y'know. :wink2:
Hideous.

My old house, in Montacute in Somerset, was built of ham stone, a lovely yellow local stone. We stripped off the plaster to expose some walls and it looked wonderful. A visitor one day looked around and said 'it will be wonderful once you get those walls all plastered up'.

Reader, we did not 'plaster up' those walls.

Back then the bare bricks would sometimes be varnished, what WERE people thinking of?

Bare red brick walls are gorgeous. My house is concrete and the only bricks are in the hideous 1980s fire surround.
This proved an advantage as whoever was sent out from the bank to look at the house for the mortgage looked at that and thought the entire house was brick!
We wouldn't have got the mortgage otherwise.
Remember that craze for imitation stone cladding in the 70s-80s too?

In the weirdo sitcom Nightingales, one of the characters said he had stone cladding put on his house - on the inside.

In the weirdo sitcom Nightingales, one of the characters said he had stone cladding put on his house - on the inside.
Thane of the Outside Toilet.

I'm very liking the sofa on the landing set-up.

There is something about about stopping and 'being' in a space that people usually pass through. To focus on the spaces in-between...

I thought I would like it, too; another place we stayed in had a similar set-up (but was a lot more modern). But I just don’t like it at all. I really don’t like the back stairs and that little landing although a little reading nook is something that (if I had a big enough house) I would definitely put in myself. Sometimes I go up that way as it’s quicker, but I gallop :D
Anyhow, yesterday I was just washing up looking out of the window and half saw someone next to me, standing almost at my shoulder, tall, dark shape so I thought it was my partner and turned to say something. (You know when you’re aware someone you know has just come into your space and is standing there) No-one there, or in the kitchen at all.

The place doesn’t feel unfriendly though, just a bit odd and very old and ‘busy’. If people with whatever ghost hunting equipment they use now came here, I do think they would pick things up.

Yup, like in Coronation Street.

As I remember it was Jack Duck-Egg who not only had the cladding applied but then painted the stones randomey blue and yellow. Classy. :chuckle:

Oh flamin' Norah, here's a page on it -

Corriepedia
I've seen places in Wales done like that.
These days, people are stripping the cladding off.

I thought I would like it, too; another place we stayed in had a similar set-up (but was a lot more modern). But I just don’t like it at all. I really don’t like the back stairs and that little landing although a little reading nook is something that (if I had a big enough house) I would definitely put in myself. Sometimes I go up that way as it’s quicker, but I gallop :D
Anyhow, yesterday I was just washing up looking out of the window and half saw someone next to me, standing almost at my shoulder, tall, dark shape so I thought it was my partner and turned to say something. (You know when you’re aware someone you know has just come into your space and is standing there) No-one there, or in the kitchen at all.

The place doesn’t feel unfriendly though, just a bit odd and very old and ‘busy’. If people with whatever ghost hunting equipment they use now came here, I do think they would pick things up.
Once you have finished your holiday and retreated to a safe distance, please share the booking details!

I've got a 'reading nook' in my current house. I never use it. I sit and read on the sofa in the living room - there's only me living here, I don't know what I was thinking! It's like the fact that I've got an 'office' in the loft - I sit and work on the sofa in the living room...

I could, thinking about it, just have bought a bedsit.

I've got a 'reading nook' in my current house. I never use it. I sit and read on the sofa in the living room - there's only me living here, I don't know what I was thinking! It's like the fact that I've got an 'office' in the loft - I sit and work on the sofa in the living room...

Yup, 'reading nooks' look uncomfortable to me. All you really need are a comfy place to sprawl and good lighting.

I came to exactly the same conclusion about a year ago. I never did huge entertaining but now there are no visitors. Why do I have a living room with seating for five? And I work on the dining room table, I could drop the office into the sea and not know the difference.

I came to exactly the same conclusion about a year ago. I never did huge entertaining but now there are no visitors. Why do I have a living room with seating for five? And I work on the dining room table, I could drop the office into the sea and not know the difference.
I used to have a lovely dining table and 4 chairs.
As nobody ever came to visit, I gave it away to my Mum and Dad. My Mum still has it, and has more use for it than me.

I have a big drop-leaf pine table with loads of chairs. The table is normally outside all summer so I can do my little arty thangs in daylight. This year has been a bit dreary though so the table has stayed put.

Recently Techy has been using it when WFH. Wish we had a bigger house!

I've got a lovely big pine table in the kitchen, which comes in handy when the children visit, for meals. Otherwise I eat - you've guessed it - on the sofa in the living room.

Back from my holiday, and if people more sensitive than me or with equipment could go to Alexanderstone I think it would be interesting.

When I saw the motte next to the house, I did think, ‘Ooooh s**t the sneaky bastards changed the name and rented out Heol Fanog’ :hahazebs: (Because apparently that has a motte right next to it as well, which is coincidental — or is it?)

I googled and it wasn’t, but it’s also not too far away, either. It’s next to Cilwhybert Motte apparently. The yellow cross is where we were, Cilwhybert Motte blue-arrow-ed.

So: a shadow standing next to me, seeing two, and hearing invisible footsteps, but more a feeling of people being there who were not.

BDB62FA7-CF4F-47AB-9E8A-6F0693947291.jpeg

When I was about 15 I had gone to the local post office to pick up the family allowance. It was run by a husband and wife, along with the wifes mother. I went into the post office and saw the mother of the owner stood behind the counter. I tried to get her attention, but she just stood there and ignored me for about 2/3 minutes until the husband came to serve me. He seemed a bit flustered, but took the family allowance book and handed me the money.

When I got home my Mum mentioned I had taken longer than usual, I said I would have been back sooner if Ann's Mum hadn't ignored me! She said I am not surprised she wasn't any help, she died last week!

She looked absolutely normal, flesh and blood. If I had to pick something that was different, she looked completely vacant and not really with it, but I wouldn't have thought I was looking at a ghost, just someone who was deep in thought.

She looked absolutely normal, flesh and blood. If I had to pick something that was different, she looked completely vacant and not really with it, but I wouldn't have thought I was looking at a ghost, just someone who was deep in thought.
Probably puzzled by the world, not aware that she was dead.

I've seen places in Wales done like that.
These days, people are stripping the cladding off.
Trouble with the cladding is that damp can get behind it, as with any other covering.
We see a house on one of our bike rides that's had the lot scraped off presumably because of that.

When I was about 15 I had gone to the local post office to pick up the family allowance. It was run by a husband and wife, along with the wifes mother. I went into the post office and saw the mother of the owner stood behind the counter. I tried to get her attention, but she just stood there and ignored me for about 2/3 minutes until the husband came to serve me. He seemed a bit flustered, but took the family allowance book and handed me the money.

When I got home my Mum mentioned I had taken longer than usual, I said I would have been back sooner if Ann's Mum hadn't ignored me! She said I am not surprised she wasn't any help, she died last week!

Great post, the 'it just happened' ghost sightings are for me are the most persuasive and thus difficult to explain away.

Reminded me of the house we used to drive past in the 80son the Witheridge to South Molton road in North Devon with a fake thatched roof that was bright yellow and just blatantly not real

Back