• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Re: More hospital ghosts.....

escargot said:
One particular acute medical department was, I'm told, visited by a procession of disembodied heads which floated around the dayroom one Christmas day, in broad daylight!

OMG that almost put me off my coffee!

Details, please. Lots of them. Number of witnesses?

Re: More hospital ghosts.....

escargot said:
There seem to be plenty of spooky goings-on on the medical wards.

Let me tell you a story...

In the psychiatric hospital in Cambridge there is a ghost who sits on one of the buildings flight of stairs day and night. There was also a rather terifighing story I heard from a woman who used to work nights there.

There where 4 people on that night as they had (if I remember corectly) just got a guy in that evening and the nurse was going to be stuck doing paperwork all night. The nurse desided to take the paperwork into the day room and sit with the carers and the new admition who couldn't sleep. The day room is situated as a central hub with coridors leading off it and one short coridor that leeds to the clinic room (where they keep the drugs ect.) At about 2 a.m. the door of the clinic room starts rataling asif someone is traped inside. One of the carers gets up to see what is wrong and puts on the light inside the room (situated outside) only to hear the noises stop as soon as she does this (she swore that the handel was going up and down asif being franticaly tried by someone on the other side of the door.) She walks away, sits down, and the noises start up again. One of the other carers goes to investigate and as she walks towards the door (the handel going up and down) the noises stop. She goes and sits down and they start back up again.

This continues for a few hours untill the new admition walks up to the clinic room door and yells 'Shut the fuck up!' at the top of his voice and beging kicking the door now they have not only a ghost to deal with but an agitated man in unfamiluar suroundings. The noises stop for a little longer (10 - 15 minutes) and the guy calms down again.

This continues untill just before sunrise when the new admition persuades the other carers to go with him and open the door. As soon as they do the noises stop and don't start back up again.

I have a fund of these stories: disembodied footsteps, children crying from cellers, ghosts of the recently dead being seen and described by outside staff. They are all related to hospitals and nursing homes. The one I worked in in Cambridge had a rowen tree in the garden and a coridor with two cold spots and one million presences 'whispering rapidly in my ear' to quote M. R. James.

After reading this thread, it seems ghosts are quite common (unless you actually set out to look for one, of course).

When I was about 7 or 8, I woke up one sunny morning to find a corpse in bed next to me. He looked kind of dried up and flaky, and his eyes were closed. I was still sleepy and just stared at him for about 10-20 seconds, then when I blinked I found I was staring at my teddy bear and there was no one in bed with me at all. How I mistook my teddy bear for a corpse, I'll never know. Maybe it was a ghost.

GNC.

Your teddy sounds quite spooky to me.

Do you still have him.

Yeah, I do still have that teddy, it's in a cupboard somewhere. It's only about a foot tall and looks like a little panda, nothing like a dead body. I was probably having a dream "hangover" or something.

When you dream GMC,you do dream.

How's teddy. Still looking normal-ish

unforgiven said:
When you dream GMC,you do dream.

Damn right.

As I have said before my dreams are about food, sex, pointless conversations, malevalent pixies (damb, shouldn't have mensioned that one.)

hospital ghosts

Dear James - it would be great if you had time to tell us more of your hospital ghost stories. I too have heard that these places are full of them from a girl i knew who started working as a nurse. She was seeing ghosts from the outset....
- tony

I too have heard that these places are full of them from a girl i knew who started working as a nurse. She was seeing ghosts from the outset....

I've been in our local hospital late at night a couple of times with a sick relative and at 2am it's damn spooky without any ghosts present.

I'm usually really sceptical, but although I've never seen a ghost, my brother has. He's not the sort of person to make things up, but has seen a white figure pass the door upstairs while his wife was downstairs. Several other ppl have seen things too. A white shape went down the stairs, a light bulb went on in the middle of the night, a white mist came into the room, and the dog starts barking at the middle of the room for no reason sometimes (usually when my brother is working on the computer in the cellar).
Like I say, I've never seen anything but the house gave me an uncomfortable feeling before he even saw anything. He took me there to show me round before we moved in and I felt cold and awkward. I can't really explain it, but I felt I wanted to get out, but told myself it was because the house was empty and it was getting dark outside. My dad went to look around at another time and said the same things. My brother never seeed to feel anything, until they moved in and started seeing things.
The thing that annoys me is when I tell ppl about it and they dismiss it, like I've been watching too many horror films or something. My friend won't even listen because she says "Ghosts don't exist, end of story". :(

GHOST...AAAAAAAHHHHH

Let me tell you what happened Sunday (fathers day).

I had forgotten it was fathers day, and decided out of the blue to look at some old photo's (not really old photo's about 5 to 6 yrs old). When I kept coming across photo's of some one I knew quite well 5yrs ago, I did'nt realized I had that many photo's of this person. There was one that was taken when he had fallen asleep after one to many and my husband commented that he looked dead in that photo. It was then I realized he had died on fathers day 5yrs ago. I normally say a prayer for him on that day but I had forgotten this year.

You see he had hung himself and he was also my daughters god father.

I wont forget him next year.:madeyes: :eek!!!!: :madeyes: :eek!!!!:

Spooky. ;)
A few years ago I went to Warwick Castle with some friends. We looked around one part where the guide told us the lord had been murdered years ago.
When I got home I was reading the backs of the postcards I'd bought there and it had the story of the lord who was murdered and the date it happened was the day we had been there! :eek!!!!: Glad I wasn't there at night time!

My mum was once locked in the loo at Berry Pomeroy Castle in Devon. The toilet consisted of a single loo and sink and the door lock was a bolt that slid into place. My auntie was standing outside waiting so mum didn't lock the door (she has arthiritus and consequently has little strength in her hands). When she had finished she tried to open the door but the bolt had slid into place. She had trouble unlocking it and was quite shocked as she was adamant she had not locked the door! What kind of ghost locks old ladies in toilets?:D

Ghosts like lavatories, it seems, precisely because they CAN be easily locked.

At a Staffordshire hospital where my mate had an operation (I may have mentioned this before but don't hit me, I'm old) there's a ward where the patients' loo is regularly locked by unseen hands. This happens in the wee (!) small hours: all the patients are asleep, the air goes cold, the bog door bolt slides silently into place... brr.

The Red Cow pub, which I've coincidentally mentioned today on another thread, has a ghost which harasses customers on the way to and from the Ladies'.
A fright on the way there, after a skinful, could have shocking consequences for clients of a certain age....

The ladies toilets in The Trevor pub in Chorlton, Manchester, are supposed to be haunted. I'd never experienced anything untoward there myself, but they are absolutely freezing, even on a hot day when the bar's full.

I think I have.....

When I was about four years old, I went to spend a week at my grandmother's house. It dated from the American Civil War, and was built by my grandfather's people.

Anyway, I had a habit of slipping out of bed at night. I loved to roam the halls in my nightie. One night, I was about to slip out of bed when I saw a lady wearing an old-timey black dress. She wore her hair pulled back in a severe bun, also wore a cameo.

She glared at me as if to say, "Don't you DARE!" and faded back through the wall.

The next morning, I told my granny what I had seen, and she said, "Oh, that's Little Grandmaw!" She then rummaged around and pulled out a tintype picture of the lady I had seen.

I've also seen 'phantoms' of living people, but that's another topic altogether.

Re: I think I have.....

Malys said:
I've also seen 'phantoms' of living people, but that's another topic altogether.

Oh, do please tell. I'm very much interested in phantoms of the living. Thanks.

Phantoms of the living- more please.
My family see them and mine hangs around here and there.

Oh, I have one, in a former house we had 2 living ghost experiences. Once, when I was about 13, I was sick and had gone to bed early. My sister was up studying. Around midnight or so, she came into my room demanding to know why I had been standing in her door way staring at her, and not answering her questions. She said I was just standing there and when she spoke, I just ignored her, turned around and walked away. Of course, I told her I had been asleep but she refused to believe me. My parents were not home at the time, so it was not my mother. Another time about the same age, I had just gotten home from school and was making myself something to eat. I bent down to pet my dog, why was whining at my feet and then realised I had let her outside only a few minuites ago. As soon as I realised this, the dog was gone, and just to check, I looked out the window and saw my dog outside where I thought she was. Nothing else after that really.

Nikita, thank you so much for those stories!

Can't imagine why your sister saw you (or not-you); but, perhaps, you saw the dog while you slipped into a sort-of dream state. That's just a theory, of course. :)

Here's one:

My sister was once awoken by my borther coming into her room in the middle of the night and staring at her for about 5 mniutes before going wyay. This freaked her out so much that she couldn't go back to sleep.

In the morning she mensioned it to my fater who said that he had been awake all night and my brother had never goten out of bed.

spooky.:eek!!!!:

We had some ghost hunters in at the hostel a couple of weeks ago, and they took an interesting photo, which I'm trying to post, but I keep getting error messages :mad:

Basically it shows a sort of golden light effect, with a bit of mist, on one of our Jacobean staircases. I'm sceptical enough to think that it may be some sort of light reflection. It's quite a pretty effect though, but you'll have to take my my word for it until the admin bods can sort out the problem with attaching files!

One of my hostel assistants says that the other day he saw a ball of light float across the main hall, and then vanish through a wall. At least the unspeakable thing in room 6 hasn't pushed anyone out of bed recently!

Elisheva said:
Nikita, thank you so much for those stories!

Can't imagine why your sister saw you (or not-you); but, perhaps, you saw the dog while you slipped into a sort-of dream state. That's just a theory, of course. :)
That may be it! The weird thing was is I just thought "isn't that odd?" Didn't shake me up until later when I really thought about it!

Hi Again, Well, I haven't been here for some time, due to the site being down, but now it's back up, I'll continue the telling of our ghost experience I had started some time ago. (I think the last post I made was on page 5 in this thread).

Well, As I said, we discussed the experience at home some more, and I had a plan.
As I've said earlier in this story, I've had some past experience with Ghosts and the Occult in General.
Also I know several people more seriously involved in Occult matters and Ghosts etc than I am.
So I contacted one of them who happened to be a Wicca (a Witch)...
After some discussion, he told me of a Simple Candle Banishment/protection ritual that I could do.
It was pretty basic actually, Without going into too much detail of the exact description of the ritual, it mostly involved using a candle and walking around the points of the room visualising a cleansing light and a wall of light around the room and chanting a pretty basic mantra.

so, the next time We went there, I went up to the room by myself and did the ritual.

The good news was that for the next 2-3 months everything was pretty quiet and the room felt pretty good, in daytime and at night and there was no weird happenings and our child slept well in there.

The bad news was, after 2-3 months it all just came back again.
This time however, there was an extreme feeling of aggression coming from outside the room on the Stair landing...You could really feel it when you were lying on the bed, which is against the wall next to the stairs.
Another day, my fiancee and I had an argument, and she went upstairs to be by herself and a bit later she came running back downstairs crying.
She told me that she was lying on the bed, and she felt a weight on her body and she felt like she was being strangled.
She told me that it was very difficult for her to get up, but she was so scared and really didn't want to be in the room, she managed to get up and run down the stairs.
I was getting some really bad feeings from mostly outside the room (on landing at the top of the stairs) and I though maybe I had angered something in the house from doing the candle ritual a few months earlier..

At this point We decided enough was enough and my Fiancee managed to contact some, I guess what you'd call Exorcists, to clean out the room.

But I'll tell that bit next if anyone is still reading this thread...:)

See, this thread is brilliant for everyone who posts at work.

I, however, have just read the entire thing at 10:00PM, from my 'study' (looking out over dark streets and woods) and now have to walk down the passage to bed.

The procession of disembodied heads is going to stay with me (figuratively speaking).

ghosts

i think ghost is a broad subject - i myself have had several experiences of the paranormal from figures at the end of my bed (not my boyfriend), people passing my raised window when they coulnt possibly have done, the feeling that you know a person is stood in the corner of the room or has jumoed down behind you.

more recently i have had alot of activity in my brand new flat every other day - three knives parrallel in the middle of the kitchen floor, guitar beening flung across the bedroom ( but on investigation not), to windows being blown open even though locked! to name but a few it always makes me jump!

i kind of think that it must be something that follows me around but what the hell it makes my life more interesting! I love my spooky spirit!

When I was about 12-13 yrs old I had a weekend job bottling up and cleaning in a pub run by my then best friend's parents.

One Saturday morning I noticed a woman waving at me through one of the front windows, signalling at me to be let in. I immediately noticed that she was a bit scary looking, her face was quite haggard and she seemed to be grinning at me quite malevolently, (she also had a very dodgy hair do and was wearning an old fashioned coat which now I think was probably an early 1920's style) so I was a bit unsure about opening the door to her.

As she continued waving, and generally getting quite agitated, I thought she may have been in trouble and needed help. I went over to the front door unbolted it and stepped outside to ask her what she wanted. Walking across the bar and unbolting the door took about 10 seconds max. and to my surprise when I stepped out she'd disappeared.

I then thought she must have gone around to the back door to see if could attract my attention there and our paths had crossed. As I strolled back across the bar one of the Landlord's dogs began barking and I immediately assumed she had arrived at the back door.

When I got there I found the dog's hackles raised and him barking at nothing, which was odd because evn though he looked big and scary he really as a docile old thing.

I went out of the backdoor (taking the dog with me) and walked around the back of the pub and through the garden back to the front, first one way and then the other. She really had vanished and it began to unnerve me somewhat.

I then noticed that the window cleaner was just climbing down his ladder and he had been out there all morning so surely he would have spotted her. I asked him if he'd seen an old haggard looking lady with funny hair wandering around the car park and if he knew where she'd gone or what she'd wanted.

He looked at me a little oddly and said that he'd been the only person around the front of the pub that morning. I was stunned! I asked if he was sure and pointed to where I'd seen her and he said if there had been someone but had missed them he would have heard them walking across the gravel and confirmed he'd not seen a soul all morning.

I was a bit puzzled and spooked and went back into the pub to finish my chores. It was only after a little while I began to wonder just who she was and/or where she went and got a bit more than a little bit scared!

Unfortunately, the pub in question was gutted by fire and then finally knocked down and replaced by a Beefeater Restaurant. It was very old and had been there from about the 1700's so I just wonder if this poor woman was a thirsty punter from days long gone needing a bit of light refreshment to help her on her way

GNC's Corpse-like Bear

Going back aways to resurrect a previous subject, my mum has just recounted a similar experience she had when she was little (about 13), when she was living in a house just outside Newcastle. She was going up to her bedroom one day, way up in the top of the house up (an aptly) winding narrow corridor, with the dog following behind her. Entering her room, the dog started growling and barking. Looking at her bed she saw what she swears was a corpse lying on the bed. The dog was evidently convinced also. She ran down the stair shouting and screeching to her dad, who rushed back up the stairs to her room again, and found lying on the bed... her coat! Any ideas why both she and her dog had the same impression? Is the illusory metamorphosis of everyday objects a new way for a presence to express itself? Or could the dog's hysteria have been projected to my mother, making her see something that wasn't actually there??

Also does anyone know anything about shadow people, as I used to see them as a child, but also used to suffer from "night terrors" (being frozen in bed hearing something threatening coming towards me), and wondered if there was any correlation between the two. Another thing I'd be interested in hearing is if there's any connection between this frozen state and out of body experiences. Ta!

here, Kitty, Kitty!!

I was visiting Berry Pomeroy Castle when I was courting my Wife.
At each corner of the square derelict castle there is a spiral staircase leading down to small basement dungeons.

On the way down one of the staircases, i had reached the bottom and glanced back at my Wife's descent. I remeber seeing her white trainers coming down around the central column and as i looked away, was startled to see a black cat entwined between her feet! I looked back shouted 'Watch out!' fearing that she would fall and break her neck, but when i saw again, there was no cat and she claimed there was never anything near her.

Berry Pomeroy Castle is rife with ghostly rumours: the typical Grey lady walking the ramparts etc - but I was genuinely amazed and delighted to have seen something.

Back