Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Mr_Hermolle

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Nothing much to report except that my partner’s dad still swears blind he saw something but isn’t that bothered because he‘s a sceptic, yes one of those sceptics that wouldn’t believe anything he saw :hahazebs:
The house definitely feels old and ’alive’ though. The upstairs corridor’s not very friendly. There’s a little sofa up there to sit and read and I did, but not really comfortable. (Not the sofa, the landing). But anyway, I was exploring round the back, some of which is gated off unless the whole property is booked and I could see out onto the field and ‘What’s that?’ Not a tumulus (I thought) as it looks too big, at least the ones I’ve seen in Wilts and Berks tend to be much more sunk into the ground. I went onto OS maps online and it’s a motte and bailey! So there have been buildings here a long time.

View attachment 44648

View attachment 44646
'The upstair corridor's not very friendly' - strange how certain parts in certain buildings can feel like this - most of the place can feel fine, you turn corner - and suddenly - 'nah, I don't like this at all'. And it's so hard to pin down exactly why a certain place feels oppressive, or unfriendly or 'too remote' somehow.

Fanari_Lloyd

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
The upstair corridor's not very friendly' - strange how certain parts in certain buildings can feel like this - most of the place can feel fine, you turn corner - and suddenly - 'nah, I don't like this at all'. And it's so hard to pin down exactly why a certain place feels oppressive, or unfriendly or 'too remote' somehow.
Yes, very true! I can’t say anywhere else in the house felt ‘off’ apart from those back stairs and little landing, although it all felt ‘busy’, old, a bit liminal but also ‘right’ for the place. I would have been disturbed feeling it at home, but there it felt quite normal.

A friend of mine looked at the picture of the stairs and said ‘99 times out of 100, the stairs just lead up. The 100th time…that’s different.’

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
Well i might have seen a ghost. My next door but one neighbour died suddenly. We weren’t close but we met occasionally and we got on ok so it was sad but not traumatic. A week or so later i was walking along our town high st and i spotted her walking the other way, and thought ‘oh there’s Beryl’ but as she was just passing me (although about 6 feet away) i didn’t say hello as she would have passed me by the time i could have said something. No frisson of unreality etc. It was only about half an hour later that i remembered it couldn’t have been her as she was dead. Of course i could have mistaken a complete stranger for her, but it did look like her. As far as i know she had a nephew, but no living sister . I mentioned this to another neighbour and she didn’t seem at all surprised at the sighting.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
Which just reinforces my opinion that 80% of North Devon is built of Lego.
Do their ghosts look like this?
Lego ghost.jpg

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
This seems curious! Do you have any idea why? Of course I want to believe that she also has experienced "sightings."
I thought at the time she seemed very matter of fact about it. When i said i thought i had seen Beryl in town after she died she said something like ‘of course you would’. I didn’t question her about it as I really wasn’t sure what to say.

DrPaulLee

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I used to work in a country house.
I once heard posh sounding voices from one of the bedrooms and burst in expecting to find visitors who'd went off piste.

No one there.

probably sound carrying from somewhere else.

I came across a story in a paper about the Bell Hotel in Thetford: the manager was in a bathroom when he heard voices. Although a sceptic of ghosts, he was a bit perturbed and then realised that he recognised the voices. They were two of his waiting staff who were some distance away in another part of the hotel.
It turns out that the voices were somehow being transmitted through the pipework.

Rappinghood

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I came across a story in a paper about the Bell Hotel in Thetford: the manager was in a bathroom when he heard voices. Although a sceptic of ghosts, he was a bit perturbed and then realised that he recognised the voices. They were two of his waiting staff who were some distance away in another part of the hotel.
It turns out that the voices were somehow being transmitted through the pipework.

I'm pretty sure that's what I heard, there are so many ways sounds carry through old buildings.