• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Incidentally, the UK Paranormal database has an active Twitter feed:

Here are two Paranormal database mentions of Bunbury in Cheshire, where we often pedal around between cafes and pubs -

Horseman​

Type: Shuck
Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: A ghostly man on horseback is said to cross the lane before vanishing.

Strange Hound​

Type: Shuck
Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: A phantom dog has been spotted in an area near the school.

Can't WAIT to tell Techy. :D
Also, on another of our routes -

Woman in the Red Scarf​

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 15 December 2004, 00:30h
Further Comments: A figure of a woman in a red scarf whose pallid face was darkened only by black sunken eyes was seen by two people driving along this road. They reported that the ghostly figure stared right through them, was totally motionless and that her clothing looked like it dated from the 1960 or 1970s. When they drove past again the following day, the whole area seemed very different from previous.

We know a lot of the other places too and have heard of their ghosts. Chester seems particularly busy.

We haven't had much paranormal action here for a while, more's the pity.

However, tonight Techy was slightly haunted.

He took a packet of sliced turkey from the fridge and put it down on a work surface.
As he turned away to fetch a plate, a small microwave-safe pan jumped off the rail over the cooker onto the floor and the pack of meat shot off the surface to join it.

He picked up the pan and the meat, cursing, and carried on making his tea. :chuckle:

Oh I remember you talking about the Phantom Drip and the cat, but not the Hot Spots.
I‘ve heard of cold spots but never hot ones!
It's all on'ere somewhere!

The Hot Spots are in the kitchen and on the upstairs landing, on top of each other.

The cooker sometimes feels warm even though it's off and has been all day. I became so used to checking the controls in case I'd left one on that I painted big red dots on them to show at a glance which position they were in.

Upstairs, there's a patch that feels warm. I used to think I'd left the heating on but the radiator was cold. Even after I had the radiator removed, it would still feel warm along there!

Good old techy b**ls of steel that lad .I would have run away shrieking and crying.
It’s been happening for years escargot this hasn’t it
Yup, we're used to it. :chuckle:

Techy's just getting over a bad cold but I've got it now.
Maybe the House Ghost was telling him to stop messing about with sliced meat and get me a hot toddy. :thought:

You just had to ask didn't you?
I did :chuckle: I’ve been fascinated by the Phantom Drip for years as other people in the house have felt it as well, I think?

The cooker sometimes feels warm even though it's off and has been all day. I became so used to checking the controls in case I'd left one on that I painted big red dots on them to show at a glance which position they were in.

Upstairs, there's a patch that feels warm. I used to think I'd left the heating on but the radiator was cold. Even after I had the radiator removed, it would still feel warm along there!

That’s very peculiar o_O

I did :chuckle: I’ve been fascinated by the Phantom Drip for years as other people in the house have felt it as well, I think?
Yup, it has terrorised many of my home's inhabitants and visitors. :chuckle:
Like most of the paranormal action here, it's most apparent when we're making changes like decorating or remodelling.

Couple of years back when decorating the dining room I unrolled the two types of wallpaper and held them up, saying 'Here you go, look at this lovely pattern! It's going along there and there. The other two walls are getting this one.'

Had no trouble after that, apart from falling backwards off the ladder and leaving a bumprint in the emulsion.
Dragged Techy in to look at that before painting over it. :cool:

Nope, it's mid/late '50s. I don't think anyone's died in it although I haven't looked into its relatively short history.

It's known locally as the 'unlucky house' though. The last few families to live here before I did had awful times.
Re; the phantom drip;
are you sure you don't just need a new tap washer?

Wan't this the place with the open scissors buried under the entrance, in an evocative curse-like way?
Yes! Well-remembered. I was going to mention that if the discussion continued.

If this were a curse, and I don't know, I'd expect to have to do something with a little more ritualistic than saying 'Urk, look at this, what the actual?' and lobbing them in the bin. :chuckle:

However, the house's bad luck had applied to my family too; and after the scissors were off the premises, things were generally better.

Yes! Well-remembered. I was going to mention that if the discussion continued.

If this were a curse, and I don't know, I'd expect to have to do something with a little more ritualistic than saying 'Urk, look at this, what the actual?' and lobbing them in the bin. :chuckle:

However, the house's bad luck had applied to my family too; and after the scissors were off the premises, things were generally better.
It seems to me more like a pragmatic "folk" curse rather than a contrived ritualistic New Agey-type curse.

With regard to hot/warm spots, I have those in my house. Never put it down to anything spooky, but sometimes I will walk into one room and think it feels warm and put my hand on the radiator to check it isn't on, which it never is because I leave them turned right down to 8 degrees, I'm not wasting my money!

The only thing I can attribute it to, because I know it is definitely a case in the tiny middle room/passageway, is the house next door maybe having its heating on. In the middle room it often felt really warm and it's where my dolly maid clothes airer hangs. Washing dries really quickly in there, and by experimenting, I found that the wall between the houses is often warm. I assume that next door has an airing cupboard against that wall and when their immersion tank is on, it gets warm. And, by extension, dries my washing.

With regard to hot/warm spots, I have those in my house. Never put it down to anything spooky, but sometimes I will walk into one room and think it feels warm and put my hand on the radiator to check it isn't on, which it never is because I leave them turned right down to 8 degrees, I'm not wasting my money!

The only thing I can attribute it to, because I know it is definitely a case in the tiny middle room/passageway, is the house next door maybe having its heating on. In the middle room it often felt really warm and it's where my dolly maid clothes airer hangs. Washing dries really quickly in there, and by experimenting, I found that the wall between the houses is often warm. I assume that next door has an airing cupboard against that wall and when their immersion tank is on, it gets warm. And, by extension, dries my washing.
My house 'warm spots' are not next to an adjoining wall. There aren't even any hot pipes nearby.
The cooker is in a place where there'd never been one before.

Have you felt the wall next to where you think the airing cupboard is?

Did you have enough paint to cover the bum mark skargy.
paint.jpg

Nearly.

My house 'warm spots' are not next to an adjoining wall. There aren't even any hot pipes nearby.
The cooker is in a place where there'd never been one before.

Have you felt the wall next to where you think the airing cupboard is?
Yes, and the wall is warm, which is why I think there's an airing cupboard.

The other warm spots are in the middle of rooms, but not precisely enough for me to pinpoint them. It's more a kind of background warmth, but I think that's my perception of a a warmth that may be pervading the whole room, if you see what I mean. Upstairs is very cold (deliberately, I can't sleep in a warm bedroom). When I walk down the stairs and into the living room there's an abrupt warm patch and I suddenly feel warm, but I think it's just the change of temperature, because downstairs is warmer. Once I'm actually down the stairs, I lose that feeling, probably because all the air around me is warmer.

That's a lot of words for me to say that I don't think my warm spots are paranormal, whereas yours quite possibly may be.

I've just been watching a 'Ghosts of London thing on YouTube, featuring the Tower of London, and it's been making me think. There were several reported sightings of 'Anne Boleyn' (most from the 19th century), where the reporter, usually a guard, saw a figure, one in a chapel (where he didn't see the face but he'd 'walked past the portrait most days'.) Now, I don't know about you, but I'd be hard pressed to identify someone appearing as if in life (particularly if you didn't even see their face) from a painted portrait. There's also reports of people positively identifying 'the princes in the tower' - when the most commonly known painting of them is from 1879 and the other (in which the princes bear absolutely no resemblance to the 1879 portrait) is from around 1850. (If they were killed, it was in 1483).

So, is this just that ghosts of royals are more 'touristworthy'? Assuming these people all saw something - what did they see? And could you identify, from a portrait, a ghost?

And could you identify, from a portrait, a ghost?
Not personally unless it was maybe the spit of that famous Henry VIII portrait where he is very large and looks disapproving. Best I could do (if it were a very clear ’sighting’) is have a stab at the century going by clothes. Famous ghost sightings of Ann Boleyn etc probably aren’t poor old AB at all though since she was executed at the Tower of London it’s not surprising that people would think they saw her there.

Not personally unless it was maybe the spit of that famous Henry VIII portrait where he is very large and looks disapproving. Best I could do (if it were a very clear ’sighting’) is have a stab at the century going by clothes. Famous ghost sightings of Ann Boleyn etc probably aren’t poor old AB at all though since she was executed at the Tower of London it’s not surprising that people would think they saw her there.
This was basically what I assumed. White lady in long dress? Must be Anne Boleyn.... when there's absolutely no basis for believing that, other than it appeared to be a woman. And anyone seeing what they took to be two figures - must be The Princes (yet without any evidence of their actual deaths, or that they both died together at the same time).

Back