• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

I wonder why though? What's the purpose?

It can't just be as a result of some type of energy or what ever randomly moving stuff (like for instance, static electricity and, say, a balloon).
I've picked up Danny's book again this afternoon and now I remember where I had beennreading about kitchen poltergeists, its one of his central stories and one he returns to in the later chapters. There is a rather sinister twist to this tale involving the building that backs onto the kitchen in question and possible answers to these very questions:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Into-Uncanny-Danny-Robins/dp/1785948091

I've picked up Danny's book again this afternoon and now I remember where I had beennreading about kitchen poltergeists, its one of his central stories and one he returns to in the later chapters. There is a rather sinister twist to this tale involving the building that backs onto the kitchen in question and possible answers to these very questions:

Thanks for that. I'll be buying that as an audio book.

That's a link to the Amazon page on the book.

I'd hoped it was a link to an explicatory extract!
Sorry, I can't bring myself to post extracts this soon after publication, seems bit unfair given this is actually on the ground research rather than a collection of experiences collated from the internet or whatever.

Last edited:
Sorry, I can't bring myself to post extracts this soon after publication, seems bit unfair given this is actually on the ground research rather than a collection of experiences collated from the internet or whatever.
Some authors on Amazon offer a preview so I thought it might be like that.

Attachments

• M R.jpg
    M R.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 20
There'll be an Audible sample and a Kindle sample on Amazon..? I usually download the Kindle sample and check it out, with anyone I've not read before.
Yep downloaded the kindle sample this am before getting up, read it then downloaded the book (for more than I'd normally spend on a kindle book but hey what the hell needs must and all that). :)

I agree, but some people are very attached to their kitchens, to the point of it being their territory - even if others are given free range there the sense of ownership pervades it - years ago when my in-laws' house was a busy household with extended family there, the kitchen was definitely my mother-in-law's pride and joy. My wife is very protective of my kitchen, and even if I am cooking she will be hovering there to see what I am up to. With such strong associations between people and their kitchens, down to joy at the different cutlery, devices etc. that make up their collection, it is no surprise that they are a commonly haunted location.
Totally agree. My mum would have been like that. We lived in a former farmhouse with a living kitchen and didn't even use the living rooms at all - we lived in the kitchen, had TV in there, everything... Sadly, she didn't haunt us, but if she had, it would probably have been either the kitchen or the garden where she had her beloved flowers!

Perhaps (she mused, cautiously) it's a mistaken attempt to be helpful? I'm thinking about the old folklore about household spirits, hobs and the like, who would be useful around the house as long as they were paid in cream. Maybe the 'force', whatever it might be, has a very simplistic reasoning, almost like a three year old child - things that are 'tidy' are usually piled up, therefore piling up everything in a room makes it 'tidy'?
Bang on. My mum - came from superstitious old Vale of York farming family - left pobs (bread and milk) out "for the fairies". We'd watch the hedgehogs eating it from the same kitchen window... It was still thought to be really for the fairies. (And now we know hedgehogs shouldn't be eating that, although to be fair, they stole it from the fairies...) Now, that seems like some old appeasement/sacrifice to household gods ritual. As a kid, I didn't think anything of it. I think I sometimes still did it after she died, as my dad (city boy) would never have bothered.

He'd also do stuff that was a total no-no, like cut down elder trees.

Q
Has anybody seen a naked ghost ?

It’s strange people talk about ghosts wearing clothes.

I think the strangeness is only evident when one takes a particular view of what ghosts actually are.

That the disembodied soul of a once-living man would be clad in the raiments of mortal life may well be considered odd; that a projection emanating from the mind of the witness would be similarly equipped is much less so—clothes, after all, are among the primary factors for identifying and categorising fellow men: at a glance they reveal who a given figure is and—coupled with context—allow one to judge what his current purpose likely is. These two elements go a long way to determining one's mode of interaction and speech, so it's little wonder that a mental construct would usually require them.

Q

I think the strangeness is only evident when one takes a particular view of what ghosts actually are.

That the disembodied soul of a once-living man would be clad in the raiments of mortal life may well be considered odd; that a projection emanating from the mind of the witness would be similarly equipped is much less so—clothes, after all, are among the primary factors for identifying and categorising fellow men: at a glance they reveal who a given figure is and—coupled with context—allow one to judge what his current purpose likely is. These two elements go a long way to determining one's mode of interaction and speech, so it's little wonder that a mental construct would usually require them.
Or indeed a projection originating in the mind of the deceased. After all, if you imagine yourself walking down the street, you will imagine yourself clothed, not naked (or at least most people would!)

Or indeed a projection originating in the mind of the deceased. After all, if you imagine yourself walking down the street, you will imagine yourself clothed, not naked (or at least most people would!)
My late father was a frustrated naturist. Not an exhibitionist or in any way pervy, he just shared that desire to go without clothing.
It was to do with his beliefs about the body itself being a mere vessel for the soul.

After we'd all left home and there was only Mum to see him, he was usually naked at home.
I didn't know about this until some time after his death though I'd wondered why we always had to knock and only Mum ever answered the door. :chuckle:

When Dad died the close family immediately had dreams about him walking around happily naked. It's on the Dreaming of the Dead threads.
My dream was of him showing me his Action Man-style sexless torso, like the Metatron's in the fillum Dogma, to prove that he was now a being of Spirit.

So yup, if Dad was right about the Afterlife he'll be seen strolling along skyclad. :nods:

I've never seen a ghost per se, but when I was somewhere in my early teens I once woke up to see an indistinct whitish figure of a man in my room. It was stationary and slowly faded away, not like a movie fade/dissolve, but more like an afterimage. I felt no fear at all when I saw it. Later I realized it looked like my grandfather, who lived in that house and died a year before I was born. He would have spent a lot of time in that room, which was used as a kind of parlor, not a bedroom, in his day. I felt no fear at all when I saw it.

My family spoke a lot about the man when I was a tot, and I was told that when I was maybe 3 or 4 years old I mentioned spending some time with him as if he was alive. I had no memory of that experience or talking about it, though.

Like this one, not least because of the location that is well known for strange lights, ghost bombers etc.:

Flickering Person​

Location: Longdendale (Derbyshire) - Path between Rhodeswood and Torside along Rhodeswood Reservoir
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 23 September 2023, around 19:15h
Further Comments: A married couple walking along the path spotted a figure dressed in dark clothing approaching them. The figure seemed to flicker, and the facial features could not be seen. As the couple moved closer, the dark figure moved into the bushes and disappeared. When the couple investigated where the figure had gone, they could see a wide stream beyond, but had not heard any splashing or other noises from the area. One of the witnesses said the figure acted as if it was frightened.

Source: https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/recent/index.php

Lots more Longendale Forteana here:

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/derbyshire/derbdata.php?pageNum_paradata=9&totalRows_paradata=255

Last edited:
Back