• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

caroleaswas said:
That reminds me, the night before last I was driving home... Looking in my rear view mirror, I could see a maroon 4WD vehicle right behind me...

I took my gaze off the mirror to watch the road ahead and a moment later looked in the mirror again. The vehicle had gone...

There's probably some perfectly rational explanation, but it puzzled me at the time.

Carole

Something similar happened to me a couple of weeks ago - at some traffic lights I noticed a police car in my rear view mirror and thought, oho, better behave myself, no wheelspins when the lights change! ;)

I glanced at the lights and then back at the police car - but it was gone. What?!

The mirror'd fallen off. :lol:

Something similar happened to me a couple of weeks ago - at some traffic lights I noticed a police car in my rear view mirror and thought, oho, better behave myself, no wheelspins when the lights change! ;)

I glanced at the lights and then back at the police car - but it was gone. What?!

The mirror'd fallen off. :lol:

Thought I'd bump this thread as it might interest some of our newer members.

(That car mirror gave me grief. It kept falling off, nothing kept it on, until I discovered the proper mirror adhesive pads at Halfords.)

I saw my late dad 24 hours after giving birth to our second child. I was not under the influence of any drugs at that point and saw him walk down the corridor in hospital and walk striaght past the nurses office. When I asked the nurse if she had seen him, she said no one had gone past. It was around 2am, no one had been admitted to the ward, no one had had a visitor at that time, yet I saw a 'person' dressed in the same clothing as my dad would have worn ( a very distinctive coat), carrying what appeared to be the same style motorbike helmet with the same stickers on it, walking with the exact same gait as he did, walk down the corridor and somehow just 'not be there', however I have no recollection of 'where' or 'how' he left. I can only assume I glanced away and that is the point in which he was no longer visible......or I was hallucinating/imagining it.

That reminds me of one I will have posted here. When I had child 2, it was a bit traumatic (fast) and I had a very weird labour which lasted all of 21 minutes. There were no waves of contractions coming closer and closer together but just one long fecking contraction, with no let up. My first labour had only been an hour so they were expecting it. And had no intention of giving me any pain relief because what was the point, was the logic. So there i was in the worst pain of my life, no chance of pain relief, and I literally thought I was dying. No drugs. One brief drag of the oxygen thingy but I put it aside as it had zero effect on me, no pain relief, no altered state of mind, just useless. A friend who also had precipitate labours had told me not to bother wiht it as it was all they'd offer in that hospital and it was just a way of the other people in the room deluding themselves you were getting pain relief - and my friend was right.

And at some point, my long dead mother appeared next to me. She died when I was ten. But there she was, next to me and she said one thing:

'You're going to be alright.'

She was wearing I forget now but it was something I remember at the time (this was 25 years ago) thinking 'Oh yes, mum had those clothes!' - my conscious mind had forgotten what she wore, but then there she was, wearing clothes I'd long forgotten. She died wearing a yellow nighty! It was day clothes, though.

Then she was gone. And not long after, my baby was born.

It was only when thinking about this just now, prompted by bloop's post, I remembered my dad's last words to me when he died, ten years ago were also "You're going to be alright."

ETA: I never told my dad I "saw" my mum during one of my labours, as he'd think I was nuts. So he never knew this. Also, husband, who was with me during labour, said afterwards he could tell from my face that I had "seen" something in the room and something very "wrong" had just happened. The proverbial "You looked as though you'd just seen a ghost"! But the whole thing was so chaotic and scary he was overwhelmed and couldn't do anything. My husband was so truamatised by what he saw at that labour, and I spent most of that 21 minutes trying to reassure him, that the next time I had a baby I refused to let him be present in the delivery suite. I had three more kids but never "saw" my mum again and none of the other 4 labours were traumatic or as scary as that.

ETA 2: You're going to be alright is such a banal sentence. Imagine struggling to get all the way back from the afterlife, just to say that! And yet - it was all I wanted to hear at that moment as I really, really thought I was about to die. And it wasn't about the baby (who was also alright, or kinda, as this son turned out to have a disability or two but nothing related to his birth). But about me. Maybe a piece of my own subconscious mind, breaking away, and literally clothing itself as my mother, to reassure myself? Still weird though as it was saying the same thing to me, my dad did fifteen years later, when he died.

Last edited:
in My late teens I lived in a house in Birkenhead on the Wirral which was very haunted. The house was unremarkable being a semi detached property facing onto a park although the road was composed of several building styles with Large Victorian houses at one end which then became typical 1930s/40s houses at “my” end.

Local tradition has it that this is because the Luftwaffe used the railway line about 1/4 mile behind the house to navigate along as they attempted to bomb Cammell Lairds shipyard on the Mersey as this line terminated there. The opinion of my friends nearby was that my house stood on the site of a house that was bombed as a consequence of that activity by the Germans...I don’t know whether that is the case.

Anyway I lived there with my mum and elder sister and all of us & all our friends experienced the ghost at one point or another.
Addressing it chronologically the first sign we had that things were not quite right was that, whilst using the phone, pre mobile era...at the bottom of the stairs one would often notice a person leaning over the bannister on the landing in ones peripheral vision...that happened a lot, at first we put it down to imagination. When you turned to look, of course, said apparition would vanish.

The next oddity relates to my mum. Returning one evening with bags of shopping she found it a problem to get her keys from her bag. She looked through the frosted glass in the front door and saw me standing in the hall so rang the doorbell with her forehead to avoid having to put down all her bags. She was cheesed off that, rather than coming to let her in, I wandered off towards the kitchen and out of view. She continued ringing and kicking the door to no avail.

Eventually she had to let herself in so, shouting at me for my rudeness, she was shocked to discover that in fact no one was home. No one could have got out without her seeing them. When I returned she was a wreck. Made me search the house from top to bottom, convinced she had disturbed a burglar. She never saw any particular features due to the frosting in the glass but a tall male wearing dark clothes had been there as large as life.

Events in the house grew more and more disturbing as time went by. My girlfriend at the time woke me at 3am one morning demanding to be taken home as she had heard someone “breathing” next to her head...and it wasn’t me. She refused point blank to ever stay there again.

I heard this adult heavy breathing on many occasions, so much so that I grew to ignore it or never sleep.

Electrical items, alarm clocks, radios, lights would regularly fail. I had to ditch digital alarms as I was so often late for work when my clock would reprogram itself and not wake me. An old alarm clock resolved the issue.

I woke one night to see a man with curly blonde hair standing in my bedroom looking out of the window. I thought, initially, it was Jimmy (our lodger) and said “alright Jim, what up.” He turned towards me and just faded away. He didn’t have a face. That was spooky. He was very clear and detailed but just had a blank instead of any facial features. He would also have had to be standing about 1/2 foot above the floor for his position relative to my bed to be right.

Add to this the constant knocks on the door when no one was outside. Even my super scientific skeptic dad was reluctant to visit the house.

The only other odd thing about the place that I can remember was digging up a complete motorcycle from the back garden. It was all there, intact but just buried.

I was glad when we left. I’m not in a hurry to return.

I seem to remember frosted glass in doorways being mentioned in several "Vardoger" accounts we have here on the board. And the motorcycle aspect instantly reminded me of a scene from the British horror movie "Psychomania".

A very interesting story, Nick.

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 11.53.40jpeg.jpg

We'll need a complete reiteration please thank you

Ok. Me and an exGF moved from a lovely little rented cottage into a large new build house which offered space for her home business. Everything was great for a while but she walked out leaving me as the sole occupant rattling around in a place far too big and expensive for my needs.
Anyway. One evening, I returned home from work and was putting the shopping on the kitchen worktop when I heard the front door open. From where I was standing, I could see half the hallway and saw myself walk in and turn to go straight up the stairs.
I heard the footsteps go to the first floor and rushed around to take a look.
It was pretty freaky but I searched the whole place thinking I had nothing to fear - it was me after all - but there was nothing.

Shortly after this, the landlord gave notice he was selling the property and I had to move again and talked to the letting agent who informed me, by amazing coincidence that my old place was free again and waiting for a tenant. So I grabbed the opportunity and moved back to my lovely little cottage where I had a few happy years.

I’ve since bought a new place and have never seen myself again.

Ok. Me and an exGF moved from a lovely little rented cottage into a large new build house which offered space for her home business. Everything was great for a while but she walked out leaving me as the sole occupant rattling around in a place far too big and expensive for my needs.
Anyway. One evening, I returned home from work and was putting the shopping on the kitchen worktop when I heard the front door open. From where I was standing, I could see half the hallway and saw myself walk in and turn to go straight up the stairs.
It was pretty freaky but I searched the whole place thinking I had nothing to fear - it was me after all - but there was nothing.

Shortly after this, the landlord gave notice he was selling the property and I had to move again and talked to the letting agent who informed me, by amazing coincidence that my old place was free again and waiting for a tenant. So I grabbed the opportunity and moved back to my lovely little cottage where I had a few happy years.

Might explain why the girlfriend left. Did she ever mention anything or did she walk out, not saying a word?

Might explain why the girlfriend left. Did she ever mention anything or did she walk out, not saying a word?

Oh nothing spooky in her motivations. She was just a bit self serving. We got back together but then she walked out again 2 weeks after my mum died. She wasn’t really the best thing for me.

Oh nothing spooky in her motivations. She was just a bit self serving. We got back together but then she walked out again 2 weeks after my mum died. She wasn’t really the best thing for me.
:(

Remarkable experience! Do you think now it was a glimpse of a possible future version of you continuing to return to an unhappy place, unless something occurred to change the situation (which of course it apparently did)?

Wow, fantastic! We have threads on this sort of thing. Seeing oneself, y'know.

Remarkable experience! Do you think now it was a glimpse of a possible future version of you continuing to return to an unhappy place, unless something occurred to change the situation (which of course it apparently did)?

I don’t regard it as a defining part of my life and now look at it with a remote detachment like a few other strange events in my life.
What may be of interest was I was following the Barefoot Doctor’s Urban Warrior Guide which could be defined as a sort of Wayward Taoism at the time after it fell off the bookshelf at my feet in a Covent Garden Bookstore. Books do that you know.

Yes, Fetch is a word I would use.

Hi all. Came across this forum and thought I would post. At my place of employment, which was built in 1849 there are many rumours of ghostly goings on and my colleague and I have seen/heard one or two odd things, but recently, my colleague came into the office and saw something out of the corner of her eye in our small reception area. I didn't see it so we went to the cctv monitor and played back the camera footage for the reception area and caught the anomaly shown below in the still shot. In the real time recording, it came up from the bottom left corner of the picture, travelled up towards the top right and, when it got about level with the top of the right hand chair in the picture, changed direction and dipped down in front of the left hand chair before going up towards the top left of the picture and then disappearing. It took about 3-4 seconds in total. There was nobody else in the area at the time and we investigated all possible contamination sources, such as flies, reflections etc, and came up with nothing. Anyone care to offer any opinion as to whether we captured a ghostly image?

Attachments

• 20180903_144823.jpg
    20180903_144823.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
Hi LindyLoo and welcome to the board.
From the description it could be a moth. An insect can cause a lot of strange effects seen on CCTV and if you went to look for it, could be sitting still well camouflaged and hard to spot even if you were looking for it.

We thought the same thing but a thorough search found nothing. The room has no windows for anything to have flown in. The size seems a bit large for a moth\fly small enough not to be found. The cameras are motion sensors and this particular camera goes off constantly even during the night when the building is empty, but we've never caught an image before, only a blurring of the picture as the camera tries to zoom in.

Interesting. But did you look on the back of or under the chairs?
We like to rule out the logical possibilities before looking for ghosts.

Is this reception area a fully enclosed room, or is it an area walled off with cubicle partitions?

There is a door in the room but no windows and we did check everywhere for a fly/moth. A colleague, on opening up the building this morning, saw the same anomaly on the same camera, before anyone else arrived, and immediately investigated but found nothing that could have made it. As the cameras are triggered by motion, we did a few experiments this afternoon, throwing various items across the area, of a similar or slightly larger size/weight than a moth, and the camera did not activate. Only when someone waved their whole forearm in the line of the camera did it activate, so I don't know that if the anomaly had been (a large) moth, that it would necessarily have been enough to trigger the camera. We are still endeavouring to find a logical explanation but haven't so far.

There is a door in the room but no windows and we did check everywhere for a fly/moth. A colleague, on opening up the building this morning, saw the same anomaly on the same camera, before anyone else arrived, and immediately investigated but found nothing that could have made it. As the cameras are triggered by motion, we did a few experiments this afternoon, throwing various items across the area, of a similar or slightly larger size/weight than a moth, and the camera did not activate. Only when someone waved their whole forearm in the line of the camera did it activate, so I don't know that if the anomaly had been (a large) moth, that it would necessarily have been enough to trigger the camera. We are still endeavouring to find a logical explanation but haven't so far.
Your description of it's movement is what you would expect from a moth and similar. Any gaps in the skirting or suspended ceiling where it could be hiding? Or any air vent?

Definitely no moth, and no suspended ceilings. The reception area has a metal shutter across the window area dividing it off from the main office, which is pushed up during the day. Today, it was pushed up to about 5" from the ceiling as our receptionist is fairly short and can't reach to push it all the way up, and, while she was having a conversation with someone at the window, the shutter suddenly and violently shot up the remaining 5" to the ceiling. To push it ourselves takes quite an effort, so for it to spring up so suddenly is strange and not something that has ever happened before. At the same time, the lights in the office dimmed briefly. Ironically, they had just been discussing the anomaly captured on the security camera the other day when the shutter unexplainedly shot up. A colleague and I saw a very strange light anomaly in our office a few years ago and on taking my camera in to take some photographs one day, I repeatedly got a "battery exhausted" warning when trying to take a photograph up the stairwell, where, rumour has it, a 'grey lady' has been seen in the past. The battery in question had been newly inserted the night before, and, when I took the camera into another room it worked perfectly once more, so obviously wasn't exhausted at all. Staff and visitors alike have regularly commented on feeling like they are not alone in various parts of the building, many have commented on hearing "strange noises" and one staff member commented on seeing "someone" go into the toilet block as they were preparing to lock up the building one evening, but, on going to double check, in order not to accidentally lock someone in overnight, found the room empty. We have often said we would like to get a paranormal investigation company come in and do an investigation but it is unlikely our boss would allow us to do so.

Actually, in addition, I've just been reading back through this thread and would like to add my own contribution re the 'have you seen a ghost' thread.
Some years ago, in the last house I lived in, my husband worked periodic night shifts. Quite often, when I was sleeping alone I would wake in the middle of the night to see a black shape, akin to Darth Vader, standing at the foot of the bed. Even though the curtains were drawn and the room was dark, the shape was quite distinguishable. I would just pull the duvet over my head and go back to sleep, believing I had dreamt it. A few years later, we sold the house to my best friend's then boyfriend. I had never spoken of this black shape to anyone, not even my husband. A few weeks after he moved in, we all went out together one evening, when he casually asked "When you lived there, did you wake up in the middle of the night and see a black shape at the foot of the bed?". To say I was shocked was an understatement, because I realised that what I believed had been the result of a half asleep-half awake dream actually must be real since he saw it too and had not been told about it beforehand. Also, during the time we lived there, I had a recurring dream where there was a door in the bedroom and I would open it and something would rush up the stairs at me and I would always wake in a panic. I never had the dream before we lived there or after we left. I was told that the property was built on the site of an earlier property that had taken a hit from a bomb during the war, so whether there was some kind of residual energy left at the site I can't say, but I know what I saw and it seems I didn't imagine it.

Years ago when my Nan died, I saw her face on another woman, I was on my way to work on the bus and reading the local paper and looked up and saw my Nan. The woman looked at me strangely, I did apologise. I have seen a shadow and heard my cat's claws, as though he was walking across out dining room floor. Though the one that made me have a more open mind, was when my Dad recently passed away and my nephew said that he smelt his aftershave. It freaked my sister out and she phoned me quite upset, I told her it was Dad looking after both her and the kids.

Back