• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

The funny thing is: Nobody believes in Ghosts (in any form) until they see or experience one. That's usually all it takes to make a believer out of them. The question remains just what are they??? Some high emotions are recorded somewhere in the environment and replay they are remnants of peoples who are held earthbound by some unfinished business. There are many other suggestions as well. I think it best to simply have an open mind on the subject.

The funny thing is: Nobody believes in Ghosts (in any form) until they see or experience one. That's usually all it takes to make a believer out of them. The question remains just what are they??? Some high emotions are recorded somewhere in the environment and replay they are remnants of peoples who are held earthbound by some unfinished business. There are many other suggestions as well. I think it best to simply have an open mind on the subject.
Well, I've never seen one and I believe in the phenomenon of ghosts.

I originally posted this some 3 years ago, but it relates to an incident from many years before that.

My wife started a part-time job as a hotel housekeeper and was told by the other staff that a particular room was haunted.
She was cleaning the room one day and sensed some movement from the corner of her eye.
Looking through the open door to the corridor, she saw what she described as white and grey wavy lines flowing past. She was well spooked but left the room to get a proper look, only to see nothing was there. She was a bit shaken by this and left the room with a splitting headache.
I did some investigation into her symptoms and reckon it could have been a combination of heightened awareness, given the tales of the room being haunted, fatigue, and the aura preceding a migraine, causing the hallucinatory effect. There may also have been something in or near that room producing an ultrasound effect - water pipes, air-con unit or some other electrical system, which may be why other people had experienced strange effects in that room. I suspect such explanations could well account for shadows and other similar effects.
To this day though my wife believes she saw the ghost.

Sometimes you can see one but not realise what's happened until later. So how do you know you haven't? ;)

'Afterward' is a short story by American writer Edith Wharton on this very subject. If you don't know the work I can recommend it, but PLEASE don't look it up first or you'll spoil the fun for yourself! The denouement is frankly terrifying.

Sometimes you can see one but not realise what's happened until later. So how do you know you haven't? ;)

'Afterward' is a short story by American writer Edith Wharton on this very subject. If you don't know the work I can recommend it, but PLEASE don't look it up first or you'll spoil the fun for yourself! The denouement is frankly terrifying.
Fun, but foreshadowed from about halfway through for me...sorry.

I say Congratulations, Coal. You are obviously not typical. Good open mind. I was basically typical until my new bride and I moved into a honest to goodness, haunted house. That was in the boone docks of West Virginia almost 50years ago.

@Brig, I'm not seeing your name on the emergency contact list for when the plug gets pulled here in a couple of weeks' time. Can I urge you to follow the procedure below? We will lose a lot when that switch is flicked, but I would hate for those losses to include your continuing contributions.
To be included on the FTMB emergency email distribution list, send an email message from your primary / preferred email address to:

[email protected]

Subject Line = Your FTMB username
(or clearly indicate username within subject line)

Last edited:
Krepostnoi: I'm at a total loss here. Care to fill me in? Are the Fortean Times Forums about to go belly up? What good does the emergency email do?

RAM: You have a point. Even Scrooge blamed Marley on a "bit of undigested beef"/

Krepostnoi: I'm at a total loss here. Care to fill me in? Are the Fortean Times Forums about to go belly up? What good does the emergency email do?

Yes, sorta ... We have until the end of the month to close down and find another place to resurrect / re-host / continue the FTMB (in some form).

See the links / instructions in my signature.

The emergency email list is being compiled so that we can keep interested members informed if / when things go totally 'dark' (if that were to happen).

Yes, as Enola said in the post above this one, the forum is scheduled to shut down on October 31. If you send an email to [email protected] with Brig as the subject line, then you should be kept up-to-date about any alternative arrangements which might be put in place.

As I say, on a personal note, I have very much enjoyed your contributions here, and although it might sound selfish of me I would very much like to continue enjoying them. So please do take a moment to send that email.

I say Congratulations, Coal. You are obviously not typical. Good open mind. I was basically typical until my new bride and I moved into a honest to goodness, haunted house. That was in the boone docks of West Virginia almost 50years ago.
I thought it a good atmospheric story mind, but I live in 'Dorsetshire' and found myself projecting at least two local 'big houses' onto the story - Athelhampton especially came to mind, with its yew hedges. Plus I read a lot of stuff - for all I know I read the same story 35 years ago and have all but forgotten it!

I thought it a good atmospheric story mind, but I live in 'Dorsetshire' and found myself projecting at least two local 'big houses' onto the story - Athelhampton especially came to mind, with its yew hedges. Plus I read a lot of stuff - for all I know I read the same story 35 years ago and have all but forgotten it!
I vaguely remember visiting Athelhampton when I was a kid.

I'm with Brig in that you keep an open mind, but how do you have any discussion or advancement of Fortean topics like Ghosts or UFOs if there's no common definition of the phenomena. If the term "ghost" means different things to different people then any discussion tends to end in a battle of semantics and personal beliefs.

Not seen but heard and physically felt some things that could have been described as 'ghosts'. Mind you, it may have been the recreational drugs and prescription medicines I was full of 25+ years ago. Keeping an open mind about it so far..

Yes, as Enola said in the post above this one, the forum is scheduled to shut down on October 31. If you send an email to [email protected] with Brig as the subject line, then you should be kept up-to-date about any alternative arrangements which might be put in place.

As I say, on a personal note, I have very much enjoyed your contributions here, and although it might sound selfish of me I would very much like to continue enjoying them. So please do take a moment to send that email.

Sorry this forum has to move. I will certainly rejoin if another one is created. I myself have a webpage with the company Wix.com. Their forums are free to use with unlimited space. Might be worth checking it out.
On the subject of people not believing in ghosts until they see one, this appears generally to be true in most of the population, and others probably do see stuff but want to believe they imagined it. I had a NDE as a child and possibly this is why I am susceptible/open to the idea of the existince of such, but I've had a lot of experiences even as a child when I had no idea what they were, and even things that I don't remember myself but which my parents told me of, such as when I was a very small child and we went to the Brighton Pavilion, and I refused to go inside because I said there was something/someone "nasty" in there. My husband is a sceptic and despite having had a strange experience himself as a child flatly refuses to accept is as anything but "imagination".

...such as when I was a very small child and we went to the Brighton Pavilion, and I refused to go inside because I said there was something/someone "nasty" in there.
Probably the ghost of the Prince Regent (George IV).

This just in -
on our final day! -
Halloween! -

TECHY HAS JUST SEEN A GHOST!

Just now, at work. He texted me right away.

He'd just arrived and parked up and nipped to the loo. He saw a man reflected in the mirror but when he turned towards him, he'd gone. 'Tall bloke, large frame, grey hair.'

This is on the company's relocated site, where the the loos are a new extension. The old works loos were haunted so perhaps Mr Spook has migrated too!

This just in -
on our final day! -
Halloween! -

He'd just arrived and parked up and nipped to the loo. He saw a man reflected in the mirror but when he turned towards him, he'd gone. 'Tall bloke, large frame, grey hair.'

This is on the company's relocated site, where the the loos are a new extension. The old works loos were haunted so perhaps Mr Spook has migrated too!

Mr Spook? hmm, how did you know his name??

This just in -
on our final day! -
Halloween! -

Sorry I misunderstood I thought he saw Mr Spook in his rear view mirror of his car.

Nice to see one in a bathroom mirror - Good work techy!

Sorry I misunderstood I thought he saw Mr Spook in his rear view mirror of his car.

Nice to see one in a bathroom mirror - Good work techy!

A few years back Techy did indeed see a ghost in his rear view mirror. He was driving past the local cemetery, of all places, when he glanced up and spotted someone sitting in the back seat. I posted about it on'ere at the time.

A few years back Techy did indeed see a ghost in his rear view mirror. He was driving past the local cemetery, of all places, when he glanced up and spotted someone sitting in the back seat. I posted about it on'ere at the time.

Always wanted to see one of them, those and the ones that stand over your bed peering at you.

Back