• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

OK then. This isn't something I saw, sadly
Oh! You TEASE!!!!

Thank you for posting more!
However, the daughters said their mother didn't mind the fly and in fact she'd said it was her pet, and they continued to bat at it. The mother looked at me and grinned.

All a bit weird, especially as there was no fly.
Freaky! Do you think they were humoring her? But I guess if it had seemed that way to you, you would have said so . . . :freak:

Last edited:
You lot! :rollingw:

OK then. This isn't something I saw, sadly, but I spoke with people who were there and have no reason to doubt them. I've posted it before.

An elderly lady died one day in a care home where I was working, after I left for home. The undertakers came and did the necessary.

This lady used to insist in having all the lights on in her room and her door open and the corridor light on outside at night.
The staff would comply and one of the night carers would nip down to the end of the corridor in the early hours to close the door and put the lights out.

After this lady's death her door was left open and the lights on as normal, possibly as a mark of respect. Late on a carer went down and turned off the lights and closed the door.
When she reached the other end of the corridor where the desk was, she turned around to look back and noticed that the door was open and the room lit up.

None of the residents was awake and they were certainly not nimble enough to do all that in the time available.
The night carer had hysterics and had to be more or less forcibly prevented from bolting out of the place, putting the management in breach of the minimum staffing regulations.

Next morning I heard the story at Handover. The frightened staff member had already scarpered. I don't believe she ever went back. Didn't scare me!
Something equally spooky happened to me there...

Anyway, Techy saw a ghost today, the lucky spud.
Chills.

Oh! You TEASE!!!!

Thank you for posting more!

Freaky! Do you think they were humoring her? But I guess if it had seemed that way to you, you would have said so . . . :freak:

About the fly? Yup, it looked to me like they could all see the fly. Mother seemed highly entertained. Strange to see in someone on their deathbed.

OK, sorted now.

Today Techy was walking along an underground corridor at work leading to the IT computer room to check some equipment, as he regularly does. As you go along the ceiling lights in front of you come on one at a time on a motion sensor.

At the far end of the corridor there's an electrical substation. In front of the door to it there was a figure standing still, apparently facing Techy.

It looked normal human height, like a dark shadow but with 'depth', he said, but no features, and was visible by the lights at the end where Techy was walking.

The motion sensors turn the lights on for a few seconds at a time, but only the ones nearest Techy were activated. So whoever the figure was, they were perfectly still, or at least they hadn't tripped the motion sensors.

As Techy drew closer and the third light along came on, illuminating the figure, it was more clearly visible for a couple of seconds and then disappeared.

There's a fire door nearby but apart from that, no way out except back past Techy. The figure didn't walk away and out of the door though, it just vanished.

What about that then, eh! Eh! Eh!
I wonder if any of Techy's colleagues have seen or experienced owt?

I wonder if any of Techy's colleagues have seen or experienced owt?

Techy's sighting wasn't surprising as the place is rife with reputed hauntings. Security often go through the building turning off lights, to find some back on again on the second patrol.
Doors open spontaneously. The staff toilets are full of activity. Techy and others have often seen people walking into and around there when they know they're alone. I've mentioned Techy's haunted work toilets experiences on here before.

There's a big lower area which isn't used for production because it started flooding some years back. It was a storage area for a while until it became really damp when it was abandoned. Workers could use it as a short cut across the site. They'd often see someone else wandering around and assume it was Bill or Anne or whoever on the same break, but it never was. They'd been alone. Even Techy finds it creepy and hasn't been down there for five years or so! Not because he's scared but because it's so wet and gloomy and he doesn't want wet feet.

Recently a worker talked about following a man in a lab coat into a restricted area. The man couldn't be found. He'd looked like a production manager. The worker had gone after him because you need to wear special protective clothing down there.
Apparently people often say to a manager 'I've just seen you down the other end, how'd you get up here so fast?' to which the reply is 'I've been up'ere all morning!'
The managers wear the same lab coats as they have for the last 20-30 years and are in fact known as 'The Lab Coats', as in 'Back to work quick lads, there's a Lab Coat coming!'

A sharpening machine was recently heard running by a key holder of a locked storage room. He went in to investigate and found nothing moving; there's no safe electricity supply there and nobody's supposed to go in as the place is unsafe.

The company's former premises were also heavily haunted. When the FTMB was new they'd ask for weird stories to be submitted by email for consideration for inclusion. I sent an account of an astonishing incident that'd happened to Techy that very day but it was rejected. Rejected! I didn't bother again.

Also, at another site where Techy previously worked nights, in the early hours there'd be a strong smell of cigar smoke apparently coming from behind a particular door. If you stood there and listened you'd then hear loud footsteps - as of a person who walked flatfooted and slammed their feet down - walking away from the door and down the corridor toward the factory. This corridor would flood regularly but the footsteps sounded the same.

Techy and colleagues would often hear this in each other's company and sometimes open the door and burst through it hoping to catch a prankster; but there was never anyone there. In any case they could account for everyone in the building.

There was also a fall of frogs from the sky outside there one day, witnessed by Techy and a workmate whom he still sees. Thy were indoors when they heard things falling onto the roof. They went outside and were pelted with full-sized frogs dropping vertically. They'd hit the ground and start hopping and squirming around, obviously still alive and healthy. Techy and Colleague watched for a bit then went back indoors because they were being hit by them.
It went on for ten minutes or so.

Half an hour later when they went outside to look again, there were no frogs to be seen.

When Techy brings this up with the colleague the blokes always says 'There were loads of frogs and then none! They all disappeared!'

Last edited:
The company's former premises were also heavily haunted. When the FTMB was new they'd ask for weird stories to be submitted by email for consideration for inclusion. I sent an account of an astonishing incident that'd happened to Techy that very day but it was rejected. Rejected! I didn't bother again.

If you haven't already posted it here can you do so?

If you haven't already posted it here can you do so?

Certainly. It's on'ere somewhere so I'll have a dig around. Might even be on this thread.

Edit - 'ere we go, from 2001 -

My BF had a strange encounter in the spring. I sent a full account, dates etc., to FT IHTM but it wasn't used.

He works at Mintons in Stoke on Trent and had to go into a basement, down a long narrow corridor with a locked door.

He went up and down this corridor several times fetching equipment and locked the doors each time. The corridor is too narrow to allow anyone to pass him, and he had the key anyway, but the last time that day he went down there was a large heavy lifting trolley placed squarely in his way. It would have taken two strong men to move it that quick and it wouldn't have moved at all quietly.

BF decided to climb over it but had to ask for help to move it on his way back as he was carrying too much and it was in the way.

It was eventually lugged back to where it came from, up the corridor and round a corner, and BF was told of the building's reputation.

Nobody likes the corridor and the room at the end just petrifies people, being the scene of a gruesome suicidal hanging.

Didn't scare the BF though, the Devil himself can't do that...

Certainly. It's on'ere somewhere so I'll have a dig around. Might even be on this thread.

My BF had a strange encounter in the spring. I sent a full account, dates etc., to FT IHTM but it wasn't used.

He works at Mintons in Stoke on Trent and had to go into a basement, down a long narrow corridor with a locked door.

He went up and down this corridor several times fetching equipment and locked the doors each time. The corridor is too narrow to allow anyone to pass him, and he had the key anyway, but the last time that day he went down there was a large heavy lifting trolley placed squarely in his way. It would have taken two strong men to move it that quick and it wouldn't have moved at all quietly.

BF decided to climb over it but had to ask for help to move it on his way back as he was carrying too much and it was in the way.

It was eventually lugged back to where it came from, up the corridor and round a corner, and BF was told of the building's reputation.

Nobody likes the corridor and the room at the end just petrifies people, being the scene of a gruesome suicidal hanging.

Escargo, have there ever been any reports on anything at Radway Green do you know? I worked there for a while

Hey escargo, have you ever heard of any ghostly goings on at Radway Green, the old ammunitions factory?

Good story, but perhaps it wasn't used because you identified where he worked at the time.

Good story, but perhaps it wasn't used because you identified where he worked at the time.

That could have been edited out. In fact I put in the location for authenticity and may have suggested it was omitted.

Escargo, have there ever been any reports on anything at Radway Green do you know? I worked there for a while

Hey escargo, have you ever heard of any ghostly goings on at Radway Green, the old ammunitions factory?

Used to work there and ghostliness rings a bell!

I was was there when a woman was killed by a bullet she was routinely testing in a machine that dated back to the war.

It would jam and you'd stick a pencil or whatever in the back and prod it while it was facing you...

Also, at another site where Techy previously worked nights, in the early hours there'd be a strong smell of cigar smoke apparently coming from behind a particular door. If you stood there and listened you'd then hear loud footsteps - as of a person who walked flatfooted and slammed their feet down - walking away from the door and down the corridor toward the factory. This corridor would flood regularly but the footsteps sounded the same.

Techy and colleagues would often hear this in each other's company and sometimes open the door and burst through it hoping to catch a prankster; but there was never anyone there. In any case they could account for everyone in the building.

There was also a fall of frogs from the sky outside there one day, witnessed by Techy and a workmate whom he still sees. Thy were indoors when they heard things falling onto the roof. They went outside and were pelted with full-sized frogs dropping vertically. They'd hit the ground and start hopping and squirming around, obviously still alive and healthy. Techy and Colleague watched for a bit then went back indoors because they were being hit by them.
It went on for ten minutes or so.

Half an hour later when they went outside to look again, there were no frogs to be seen.

When Techy brings this up with the colleague the blokes always says 'There were loads of frogs and then none! They all disappeared!'
Not pelted with them as such but it will be more than 10 years back, we started finding jet black toads in our garden. Not regular toads, not very dark brown toads but black toads. It was one of those years when there were toads everywhere (we live right by a river and a pond, and a stream and have a small garden pond full of the blighters as well). The following year, some sort of toad plague because we barely saw one. But for a year only, we had black toads.

Every year we squash them with the door (unintentionally) because they come and sit on our back doorstep in the summer, and always on one side of it, always the same place. Occasionally, just opening the door you squidge a toad as from the inside you have no idea they're there.

If I leave the back door open, there's often a toad sat right there on the left. It must be a race memory thing, a place they like to visit, for whatever reason, as it happens every year several times, without fail. And as several have been squished, it's not the same toad coming back and back. Some of them get to quite a size - I think they keep growing for a few years.

Used to work there and ghostliness rings a bell!

I was was there when a woman was killed by a bullet she was routinely testing in a machine that dated back to the war.

It would jam and you'd stick a pencil or whatever in the back and prod it while it was facing you...
Did you?! I didn't work at the ammunitions side, but on the side they converted into a 'Business Park'. I did however go into the part you worked at on occasion. I don't recall hearing anything about ghosts there, (or anyone being killed), but it always seemed the sort of place to me, where there could be a few -that's why I wondered if you'd ever heard any tales. - (Sorry, I messaged you twice for some reason.)

Not pelted with them as such but it will be more than 10 years back, we started finding jet black toads in our garden. Not regular toads, not very dark brown toads but black toads. It was one of those years when there were toads everywhere (we live right by a river and a pond, and a stream and have a small garden pond full of the blighters as well). The following year, some sort of toad plague because we barely saw one. But for a year only, we had black toads.

Every year we squash them with the door (unintentionally) because they come and sit on our back doorstep in the summer, and always on one side of it, always the same place. Occasionally, just opening the door you squidge a toad as from the inside you have no idea they're there.

If I leave the back door open, there's often a toad sat right there on the left. It must be a race memory thing, a place they like to visit, for whatever reason, as it happens every year several times, without fail. And as several have been squished, it's not the same toad coming back and back. Some of them get to quite a size - I think they keep growing for a few years.

Young toads are black.
I remember walking the pooch about 25 years ago in a field and coming across thousands of black toadlets, all marching back towards the pond at the top of the field. I've never seen so many before or since, they were like a black river, heading uphill. The pond was ruined when some council twat had the bright idea of building a crematorium on the site - fuck him, I hope his soul wanders round forever, looking for the pond he came from.

*Off topic thread de-rail - I had a seriously vivid dream about a rain of frogs/toads earlier this week, before I visited this thread. Any idea what that is supposed to signify? It was one of those dreams that is so sharp and focused that I feel there had to be a message to be listened to in there!

Young toads are black.
I remember walking the pooch about 25 years ago in a field and coming across thousands of black toadlets, all marching back towards the pond at the top of the field. I've never seen so many before or since, they were like a black river, heading uphill. The pond was ruined when some council twat had the bright idea of building a crematorium on the site - fuck him, I hope his soul wanders round forever, looking for the pond he came from.

*Off topic thread de-rail - I had a seriously vivid dream about a rain of frogs/toads earlier this week, before I visited this thread. Any idea what that is supposed to signify? It was one of those dreams that is so sharp and focused that I feel there had to be a message to be listened to in there!
I dunno - we see them all the time here and they're brown..?

I forget what toad dreams and meant to mean but in the past, certain cunning men were known locally as 'toadmen' because it was thought, they were 'horse whisperers'. They'd learn to work magic with horses by using toad bones in their charms and spells. They'd take a dead toad, and fleanse it by letting ants eat away the soft tissue, then use the bones in magic... There were thought to be magic words when when whispered to the horses, would make them do your bidding. Not sure why toad bones were needed for horse magic, but that will go way back, I'm guessing, in folklore.

I dunno - we see them all the time here and they're brown..?

I forget what toad dreams and meant to mean but in the past, certain cunning men were known locally as 'toadmen' because it was thought, they were 'horse whisperers'. They'd learn to work magic with horses by using toad bones in their charms and spells. They'd take a dead toad, and fleanse it by letting ants eat away the soft tissue, then use the bones in magic... There were thought to be magic words when when whispered to the horses, would make them do your bidding. Not sure why toad bones were needed for horse magic, but that will go way back, I'm guessing, in folklore.

Didn't we have a thread on this?

I seem to remember reading in a book about a 'horse wise man' who'd place a toad bone on a gatepost which would magically stop a horse from passing it. He'd then charge the owners for a 'whispering' session to cure it, which he'd actually accomplish by discreetly pocketing the bone.

Didn't we have a thread on this?

I seem to remember reading in a book about a 'horse wise man' who'd place a toad bone on a gatepost which would magically stop a horse from passing it. He'd then charge the owners for a 'whispering' session to cure it, which he'd actually accomplish by discreetly pocketing the bone.
Oh I will have to go look for that! Folklore is my thing.

I was reading about a cunning man who charged people for a spell to make their linens more white, the other day... Seems like a good gig if you could get it.

Oh I will have to go look for that! Folklore is my thing.

I took the book this was in out of the local library decades ago. There used to be a genre of 'ghost books' as I called them in the Psychology section. Y'know, collections of people's allegedly true weird stories. Wish I owned all those books, they were great.

My ghost sighting was so obviously a dream when looked at objectively, it's hardly worth writing about. Having said that though, it wasn't experienced as a dream, and I don't remember it as a dream (if that makes sense) so here goes...
1977, I'm 5 years old staying at my grandparents house in the country. I'm having a nightmare. The nightmare - weirdly enough - centre around Sesame Street. The Count Dracula character is there, and he's asking me how many dragons I can see. I can see the dragons - silhouettes on them on the wall. He shouts out 'one dragon!' 'two dragons!' etc - and every time he counts up to another dragon, there's a huge flash of lightning and crack of thunder. This, to me, is absolutely terrifying - so terrifying I wake up. I'm so relieved it's only a dream.
I open my eyes, and there, at the end of my bed is something far worse. There's a figure looking out of the window - it looks like your classic grim reaper / ghost monk etc. Black robes - standing to me sideways on, completely still. There's nothing within the hood - just a deep blackness. The figure does not seem remotely interested in me.
I make a solemn promise to myself that I will never open my eyes again if I wake in the night, and bury myself under the covers, until I presumably fall asleep again.
It's obviously your classic 'thinking your awake but you're really still dreaming scenario' - or a hypnopompic hallucination at best. I have read similar tales of the 'waking up and seeing something at the end of the bed' hundreds of times over the years. Still, it changed my life in a way, and triggered off my interested in ghosts and all things haunted... Even if I know now that it 'was just a dream' at the time I experienced it (and remember it as) something very real.
There were no other tales about my grandparents house being haunted - my aunt said that she always found the upstairs quite creepy, and that her daughter (my cousin) was convinced it was haunted and had 'seen things' too - though my cousin died 25 years ago now so not going to get any more information from there.
As an aside - about ten years ago I had a similar experience. I woke up from sleep in the middle of the night (no nightmare about Sesame Street this time), opened my eyes, and saw a ball of black smoke - about the size of a football in the corner of my room. This ball of black smoke - undulating and pulsating - slowly rose. I watched it rise for what seemed to be a good half a minute or two - and this ball of black smoke vanished as it approached the ceiling - just faded away. As I knew that this was an hypnopompic hallucination rather than a 'ghost', and just thought 'ah, that's interesting', and went back to sleep - had I been five years old, i would have seen it very differently.

I took the book this was in out of the local library decades ago. There used to be a genre of 'ghost books' as I called them in the Psychology section. Y'know, collections of people's allegedly true weird stories. Wish I owned all those books, they were great.
Too right, Snail. I pretty well lived in that section of our village library in the 1970s. And when my dad subscribed to 'Man, Myth & Magic' - which I still have and read a lot - I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. He also used to buy me folklore books - Ruth L. Tongue is one I remember and probably should track down an old copy of...

I'm seriously thinking of getting on with it and doing a Yorkshire ghosts book as my next big project. Am convinced there's loads of uncollected and previously unpublished, or very obscure old, stories out there for the finding.

My ghost sighting was so obviously a dream when looked at objectively, it's hardly worth writing about. Having said that though, it wasn't experienced as a dream, and I don't remember it as a dream (if that makes sense) so here goes...
1977, I'm 5 years old staying at my grandparents house in the country. I'm having a nightmare. The nightmare - weirdly enough - centre around Sesame Street. The Count Dracula character is there, and he's asking me how many dragons I can see. I can see the dragons - silhouettes on them on the wall. He shouts out 'one dragon!' 'two dragons!' etc - and every time he counts up to another dragon, there's a huge flash of lightning and crack of thunder. This, to me, is absolutely terrifying - so terrifying I wake up. I'm so relieved it's only a dream.
I open my eyes, and there, at the end of my bed is something far worse. There's a figure looking out of the window - it looks like your classic grim reaper / ghost monk etc. Black robes - standing to me sideways on, completely still. There's nothing within the hood - just a deep blackness. The figure does not seem remotely interested in me.
I make a solemn promise to myself that I will never open my eyes again if I wake in the night, and bury myself under the covers, until I presumably fall asleep again.
It's obviously your classic 'thinking your awake but you're really still dreaming scenario' - or a hypnopompic hallucination at best. I have read similar tales of the 'waking up and seeing something at the end of the bed' hundreds of times over the years. Still, it changed my life in a way, and triggered off my interested in ghosts and all things haunted... Even if I know now that it 'was just a dream' at the time I experienced it (and remember it as) something very real.
There were no other tales about my grandparents house being haunted - my aunt said that she always found the upstairs quite creepy, and that her daughter (my cousin) was convinced it was haunted and had 'seen things' too - though my cousin died 25 years ago now so not going to get any more information from there.
As an aside - about ten years ago I had a similar experience. I woke up from sleep in the middle of the night (no nightmare about Sesame Street this time), opened my eyes, and saw a ball of black smoke - about the size of a football in the corner of my room. This ball of black smoke - undulating and pulsating - slowly rose. I watched it rise for what seemed to be a good half a minute or two - and this ball of black smoke vanished as it approached the ceiling - just faded away. As I knew that this was an hypnopompic hallucination rather than a 'ghost', and just thought 'ah, that's interesting', and went back to sleep - had I been five years old, i would have seen it very differently.
It's possible either way, that it was hypnopompic (thanks for that word!) or something... else.

I also had the classic 'ghost by the side of the bed' thing but it was an unfamiliar bed with a metal bedstead and in turning presumably violently to not have to look at the thing, I banged my head hard on the metal bed posts and had the bruise next day to prove it. Which sort of suggested I was wide awake, as I thought. I hit myself so hard that I remember thinking if I'd been asleep, that would've woken me up... But I managed to calm myself down and for 15 years vacillated between thinking I'd seen a 'ghost' and convincing myself quite successfully that I had just had a dream.

Then someone who shared the room with me that night told me, all those years on, of a ghost she'd seen, that same week, in that same room - precisely what I saw. She saw it when she thought I was asleep and I saw it when I thought she was asleep. Neither of us told the other for fear of being thought nuts. (We were both about 11 or 12, and she was visiting us prior to her widowed mum marrying my widowed dad - and we shared a room for a week. Not my usual bedroom in the house - and I guess, because of the pressure of being forced together as a reluctabnt 'blended' family - both of us judged that now wasn't the time to talk about seeing a full apparition in the house where she was about to move in).

I think by this time, despite the physical evidence of bruising my head, I'd have convinced myself it was hypnopompic, not some form of reality, if she hadn't told me all those years later of the night she saw the ghost.

It was the only time we ever shared a room (because the only room with a double bed) and it was therefeore definitely the same week, but we don't know if it was the same night we saw it. I didn't know her well enough to wake her up when I saw it, and vice versa.

So keep an open mind, is the moral of the tale.

It's possible either way, that it was hypnopompic (thanks for that word!) or something... else.

I also had the classic 'ghost by the side of the bed' thing but it was an unfamiliar bed with a metal bedstead and in turning presumably violently to not have to look at the thing, I banged my head hard on the metal bed posts and had the bruise next day to prove it. Which sort of suggested I was wide awake, as I thought. I hit myself so hard that I remember thinking if I'd been asleep, that would've woken me up... But I managed to calm myself down and for 15 years vacillated between thinking I'd seen a 'ghost' and convincing myself quite successfully that I had just had a dream.

Then someone who shared the room with me that night told me, all those years on, of a ghost she'd seen, that same week, in that same room - precisely what I saw. She saw it when she thought I was asleep and I saw it when I thought she was asleep. Neither of us told the other for fear of being thought nuts. (We were both about 11 or 12, and she was visiting us prior to her widowed mum marrying my widowed dad - and we shared a room for a week. Not my usual bedroom in the house - and I guess, because of the pressure of being forced together as a reluctabnt 'blended' family - both of us judged that now wasn't the time to talk about seeing a full apparition in the house where she was about to move in).

I think by this time, despite the physical evidence of bruising my head, I'd have convinced myself it was hypnopompic, not some form of reality, if she hadn't told me all those years later of the night she saw the ghost.

It was the only time we ever shared a room (because the only room with a double bed) and it was therefeore definitely the same week, but we don't know if it was the same night we saw it. I didn't know her well enough to wake her up when I saw it, and vice versa.

So keep an open mind, is the moral of the tale.

A house in my home town has a 'bedroom' ghost that stands over people in bed.

They wake up and see it, react in whatever way comes naturally and then keep it to themselves.

I heard this from a college classmate. Her whole family had 'met' the ghost at some point but hadn't discussed it for fear of being laughed at.

They were sober hardworking Poles who weren't given to whimsicality.

Back