• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

It's fairly old so has throws on it to disguise this / protect what's left. I have not had the dog long enough to comment on its aesthetic sensibilities
If you approve of the puppy's response, get a cat to camouflage the sofa by barfing on it. They are the best at this type of work.

I could have sworn I posted this years ago, but maybe I just thought about it. Here is my personal ghost story, possibly the only thing of Fortean interest that's happened directly to me. Be warned, there's more 'story' than 'ghost' mind :)

Back in the early 1990s I had moved to London and was working in a shop. I really needed to find somewhere new to live, plus my friend had just finished university and wanted to move up too. By some strange luck one of my shop managers put up a notice advertising a flat for rent. On chatting to her it transpired that it had been her mother's flat but that she had died a short time ago and the flat was more or less sitting empty. It had one bedroom ready, and there was another room that with a lick of paint and some work could become another bedroom. Perfect! The other great thing was the rent, this place was cheap, really cheap. Less than half the price I'd previously been paying.

So, we moved in. Everything went great to begin with. There were lots of her mum's old belongings left in the unpainted room, but most of her stuff was locked away in the padlocked spare room. Nothing really out of the ordinary except the door to the living room would occasionally blow open with a really cold wind. Unusual as the windows were all shut and locked tight (it was a ground floor flat right on the edge of the block, bit of a security risk).

Then there were the neighbours. The people who lived above us were weird but never seen. Everything was fine for the first 6 months or so, but then the ceremonies started. In the middle of the night we would all be woken up by chanting and singing and you could make out the sounds of people shouting, kind of speaking in tongues. Then you'd hear loud thumps which sounded like people collapsing onto the floor (this was directly above my bedroom at about 3 in the morning). Strange!

The weirdest room in the house proved to be the padlocked room. We would have friends up most weekends and eventually one of them wanted to move in. My landlady was cool with this and moved all her mum's stuff out of the locked room which already had a bed and furniture in it. This tiny room had a really strange atmosphere though and was always absolutely freezing, even in the hot summer of 1993.

I can't remember which order the ghost sightings came in so I'll start with mine. One night I suddenly woke up and sat bolt upright in bed (unusual). Looking around the room I saw what I can only describe as the shape of a lady made up of thousands of dots of light. The lights were all sort of moving too, so she kind of swayed there in the 3/4 darkness. I did what all good cowards would do and hid under the duvet! I remember this well as it was really hot and got dead stuffy under there, but I refused to come out. I was definitely awake though and this was no dream. The oddest thing of all though is that I forgot about it all though and carried on as usual. At some point my friend who lived in the freezing cold room told me he saw a ghost in his room, I laughed about it but looking back it was very similar to mine. He was in bed one morning and saw the outline of a small figure made up of something like smoke stood in his room. He was also compelled to sit straight up in bed as though he'd felt a presence in the room, and then it slowly faded away.

Pretty soon after this we got burgled and decided to move out. It was only years later that I thought how strange this all was and discussed it with them. It should be noted that my other friend who lived there thinks this is all rubbish, he never noticed anything. Sorry for rambling!
Hi Tableloop - this is a fantastic experience, must have been terrifying & amazing all at once to see the figure of the woman made up of lights. Also it rings true about not really thinking about it afterwards - my own haunted flat tale is earlier in this thread and although when i think about haunted houses i'd be the first to move out, when i did live in a haunted flat i was sometimes nervous but other than that just forgot about it and got on with life, didn't really think about it until after we'd moved out. Like you say, some people sense vague things & others think nothing of it whilst living there. Seems scarier when you tell people after!

Thanks Jacket_Potato :)

I do wish I'd looked longer at the lady/ghost rather than hide, but I've got the image of her burnt into my memory. I was definitely awake as I can still remember very well both the experience and how hot and stuffy it was hiding under the duvet. I should have added, I'm really not someone who attributes things to ghosts. I've lived in loads of houses/flats and every other one before or since has been just plain normal. At the time I was in my early 20s and more interested in all things football and computer games rather than spooky stuff. I was too busy being 21 to worry about ghosts.

I didn't mention things like developing a sleepwalking habit there. I'd wake up in the living room on the sofa half dressed, despite going to bed as normal the night before. I also got quite depressed for no real apparent reason.

At the risk of going all a bit "Ghost Adventures" (noooo!), I wonder what type of ceremonies were being performed in the flat above in the middle of the night? Were they attracting some strange energy to the area, or something like that....? Definitely an odd experience.

Thanks Jacket_Potato :)

I do wish I'd looked longer at the lady/ghost rather than hide, but I've got the image of her burnt into my memory. I was definitely awake as I can still remember very well both the experience and how hot and stuffy it was hiding under the duvet. I should have added, I'm really not someone who attributes things to ghosts. I've lived in loads of houses/flats and every other one before or since has been just plain normal. At the time I was in my early 20s and more interested in all things football and computer games rather than spooky stuff. I was too busy being 21 to worry about ghosts.

I didn't mention things like developing a sleepwalking habit there. I'd wake up in the living room on the sofa half dressed, despite going to bed as normal the night before. I also got quite depressed for no real apparent reason.

At the risk of going all a bit "Ghost Adventures" (noooo!), I wonder what type of ceremonies were being performed in the flat above in the middle of the night? Were they attracting some strange energy to the area, or something like that....? Definitely an odd experience.
Feeling low, cold breezes from the locked room & seeing the lady - definitely sounds like there was some kind of energy in the place.

Good to not immediately attribute every little thing to a ghost, i think most things probably have a logical cause, but sometimes when you know, you know (lady ghost in your flat, and the one in mine i just knew was male). I was also 20/21 years old and my main interests at the time were bad boys & clubbing (in my 30s now but still kind of like both!), ghosts weren't really of much interest haha

You said the flat was in north london? I'm from south london - the first thing your description makes me think of is church pastors & speaking in tongues etc, remember going to school with a girl whose father was a pastor & sure she said he would get up extremely early to speak in tongues, as in some branches of Christianity from other countries. I could be well off the mark, but that was my first thought

It was in north London yes, roughly sort of Finsbury Park area. I genuinely have no idea what branch of religion the people above were. We regularly had Jehovah's Witnesses round knocking at the door (my more logical flatmate had a running debate with one of them), but I'm not sure it would be them and I can't see why they would be singing strange sounding hymns in the middle of the night. I honestly can't recall seeing any other person from the block of flats, even our next door neighbour.

It was all quite bizarre really. If I was really pushed, I wonder if they were casting out spirits or something like that, but that sounds a bit dramatic. ;) They regularly woke us all up by doing it though, thump thump bang on the ceiling at 3:00 in the morning.

I think casting out spirits
It was in north London yes, roughly sort of Finsbury Park area. I genuinely have no idea what branch of religion the people above were. We regularly had Jehovah's Witnesses round knocking at the door (my more logical flatmate had a running debate with one of them), but I'm not sure it would be them and I can't see why they would be singing strange sounding hymns in the middle of the night. I honestly can't recall seeing any other person from the block of flats, even our next door neighbour.

It was all quite bizarre really. If I was really pushed, I wonder if they were casting out spirits or something like that, but that sounds a bit dramatic. ;) They regularly woke us all up by doing it though, thump thump bang on the ceiling at 3:00 in the morning.
I think casting out spirits etc doesn't sound that far fetched for those types of church communities, i'm thinking maybe of the African churches - obviously i could be wrong but it would be my guess.

Sounds like quite an experience living there!

I think casting out spirits etc doesn't sound that far fetched for those types of church communities, i'm thinking maybe of the African churches - obviously i could be wrong but it would be my guess.

That would probably be my guess too. Does make you wonder if there is something more to all this? What if "spirits" are real!

Would have been interesting to have asked my landlady about it, but she moved to a different shop some time after we moved in and I hardly ever spoke to her, just posted the rent cheque off once a month. Tricky subject to bring up too.

Then there were the neighbours. . . . In the middle of the night we would all be woken up by chanting and singing and you could make out the sounds of people shouting, kind of speaking in tongues. Then you'd hear loud thumps which sounded like people collapsing onto the floor (this was directly above my bedroom at about 3 in the morning).
I've had neighbors like that. Hated 'em.

My teenage son just came back from a cruise to the Yucatan peninsula with a possible ghost sighting to report. :litg:

He says that the night before last, he was in his cabin - an interior room with no windows - with all the lights out except for his iPad. Suddenly, he saw a white mist emerge into his line of sight and begin to move across the room. This spooked him, so he turned off the iPad and pulled the bedclothes over himself. He watched the white mist move across the room to the area of the dresser. It seemed to disappear into the dresser for a moment, then came back out and moved to the door of the cabin where it passed through and disappeared. He found this all rather alarming!

He says he didn't notice anything like a temperature change in the room, but then he was hiding under the blankets where it was quite warm.

My teenage son just came back from a cruise to the Yucatan peninsula with a possible ghost sighting to report. :litg:

He says that the night before last, he was in his cabin - an interior room with no windows - with all the lights out except for his iPad. Suddenly, he saw a white mist emerge into his line of sight and begin to move across the room. This spooked him, so he turned off the iPad and pulled the bedclothes over himself. He watched the white mist move across the room to the area of the dresser. It seemed to disappear into the dresser for a moment, then came back out and moved to the door of the cabin where it passed through and disappeared. He found this all rather alarming!

He says he didn't notice anything like a temperature change in the room, but then he was hiding under the blankets where it was quite warm.

Wow, brilliant!

It's an old farmhouse which was uninhabited for some time before we moved in - no offence taken!

He barked a bit in there again yesterday, but when I put my head around the door, Fortean feelers a-twitching, this was just directed at the mirror! The first time around he wasn't near it or facing it.

Do you have mice? If a mouse has taken up residence in your sofa (or is just hiding there), it could well set a dog off barking and staring. They can hear what you can't (little mousy bugger chewing through your furnishing). If he's barking at the mirror you could have mice in the walls...

I wonder if the mist had hung about it would have formed a recognisable shape (person, or maybe dolphin). It's a pity he was so spooked because it would be interesting to know what it did once out of the cabin door, he could have followed. Anyone know if this is a natural phenomenon, like St Elmo's Fire? Lots of mysteries at sea...

I have actually seen (and on one occasion heard) several 'ghosts', strangely enough counter to expectations all of the sightings occurred in the daytime in bright sunlight. One of these was in the house where I live, I was coming downstairs on a sunny morning when I saw a woman in a white dress with a belt at the waist and long blonde hair going down ahead of me, after about ten seconds she vanished. Never seen her again (this was some years ago)!

I have actually seen (and on one occasion heard) several 'ghosts', strangely enough counter to expectations all of the sightings occurred in the daytime in bright sunlight. One of these was in the house where I live, I was coming downstairs on a sunny morning when I saw a woman in a white dress with a belt at the waist and long blonde hair going down ahead of me, after about ten seconds she vanished. Never seen her again (this was some years ago)!

Fantastic! Did you see her face at all? Guess not, or you would be checking old photographs, I suppose. But do you have any inkling of who she was? Maybe you don't want to find out, of course.

Fantastic! Did you see her face at all? Guess not, or you would be checking old photographs, I suppose. But do you have any inkling of who she was? Maybe you don't want to find out, of course.
No didn't see her face as back was towards me, style of dress suggested 1900's (had an 'Arts & Crafts' look) which would fit as house is late Victorian. Always hoped Iwould see her again but no such luck!

I could have sworn I posted this years ago, but maybe I just thought about it. Here is my personal ghost story, possibly the only thing of Fortean interest that's happened directly to me. Be warned, there's more 'story' than 'ghost' mind :)

Back in the early 1990s I had moved to London and was working in a shop. I really needed to find somewhere new to live, plus my friend had just finished university and wanted to move up too. By some strange luck one of my shop managers put up a notice advertising a flat for rent. On chatting to her it transpired that it had been her mother's flat but that she had died a short time ago and the flat was more or less sitting empty. It had one bedroom ready, and there was another room that with a lick of paint and some work could become another bedroom. Perfect! The other great thing was the rent, this place was cheap, really cheap. Less than half the price I'd previously been paying.

So, we moved in. Everything went great to begin with. There were lots of her mum's old belongings left in the unpainted room, but most of her stuff was locked away in the padlocked spare room. Nothing really out of the ordinary except the door to the living room would occasionally blow open with a really cold wind. Unusual as the windows were all shut and locked tight (it was a ground floor flat right on the edge of the block, bit of a security risk).

Then there were the neighbours. The people who lived above us were weird but never seen. Everything was fine for the first 6 months or so, but then the ceremonies started. In the middle of the night we would all be woken up by chanting and singing and you could make out the sounds of people shouting, kind of speaking in tongues. Then you'd hear loud thumps which sounded like people collapsing onto the floor (this was directly above my bedroom at about 3 in the morning). Strange!

The weirdest room in the house proved to be the padlocked room. We would have friends up most weekends and eventually one of them wanted to move in. My landlady was cool with this and moved all her mum's stuff out of the locked room which already had a bed and furniture in it. This tiny room had a really strange atmosphere though and was always absolutely freezing, even in the hot summer of 1993.

I can't remember which order the ghost sightings came in so I'll start with mine. One night I suddenly woke up and sat bolt upright in bed (unusual). Looking around the room I saw what I can only describe as the shape of a lady made up of thousands of dots of light. The lights were all sort of moving too, so she kind of swayed there in the 3/4 darkness. I did what all good cowards would do and hid under the duvet! I remember this well as it was really hot and got dead stuffy under there, but I refused to come out. I was definitely awake though and this was no dream. The oddest thing of all though is that I forgot about it all though and carried on as usual. At some point my friend who lived in the freezing cold room told me he saw a ghost in his room, I laughed about it but looking back it was very similar to mine. He was in bed one morning and saw the outline of a small figure made up of something like smoke stood in his room. He was also compelled to sit straight up in bed as though he'd felt a presence in the room, and then it slowly faded away.

Pretty soon after this we got burgled and decided to move out. It was only years later that I thought how strange this all was and discussed it with them. It should be noted that my other friend who lived there thinks this is all rubbish, he never noticed anything. Sorry for rambling!
This is a good one. What I wanted to remark on was.. the figure made up of "thousands of dots of light". Because that's precisely what I saw, as a kid, when I saw the full body apparition in our house. I was only a kid - it was the early 1970s - and I remember distinctly thinking it looked a bit like an image from a comic, because it was made up of little dots... not solid (before we had the concept 'pixellated') but dots of coloured light. Maybe that doesn't convey it but that's the nearest I can get. I don't recall whether it was transparent as such and maybe whatever was behind it was in darkness. So it wasn't see through as such but also, it totally wasn't solid. This dots-of-light apparition... I wonder how common it is? I rarely seem to read accounts that describe that but it is precisely what I saw, too.

Many many years later we saw another weird thing (this time a cat not a person) but although it was transparent - you could see what was behind or under it, through it - I wasn't so aware of it being pinpricks of light, coloured or otherwise. But then a cat is smaller and it was maybe further away.

This dots-of-light apparition... I wonder how common it is? I rarely seem to read accounts that describe that but it is precisely what I saw, too.
Now that you mention it, I remember someone I knew through re-enactment circles once telling us the story of how he had woken up in his grotty bedsit in Huddersfield to see the figure of an old man doing a peculiar dance in the room. He said that the figure was a silhouette, and he described it as being made up of the lights you see if you close your eyes and then apply pressure with your fingers. So, not dots of light, exactly, but not a million miles away, either.

I once saw a flurry of silver pinpricks of light rapidly coalescing into a form, but I don't know what form because I turned away!
At that time I was frequently harassed on the street by weird men who planted themselves in front of me and babbled at me. I interpreted the coalescing points of light as an attempt to grab my attention by who knows what kind of thing. Now I kick myself because I would have learned something, but I don't know what!

Do you have mice?

Entirely possible. It's in the countryside, granite walls, any number of nooks and crannies. Interior wall surfaces apparently made of whatever was lying around and was flat - tried to hang a curtain rail last week and nearly bit through the screwdriver in frustration :-D

Update: Dog is still barking like a loon at random. Often, but not always, in the same room as before.

Just to add to the folkloric fun, last week I found my house was *built from the stones of a much older house*. Frankly I'm going to be a bit annoyed if it's *not* haunted.

Entirely possible. It's in the countryside, granite walls, any number of nooks and crannies. Interior wall surfaces apparently made of whatever was lying around and was flat - tried to hang a curtain rail last week and nearly bit through the screwdriver in frustration :-D

Update: Dog is still barking like a loon at random. Often, but not always, in the same room as before.

Just to add to the folkloric fun, last week I found my house was *built from the stones of a much older house*. Frankly I'm going to be a bit annoyed if it's *not* haunted.

It's not a terrier, is it Danforth? I've got one of those - very prone to going completely still and just randomly growling. Very disconcerting when trying to watch 'Midsomer Murders', but very typical, alas, for a terrier.

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum yesterday.
I haven't seen a ghost as such but I did experience something unusual while on a tour of The Crumlin Road Jail in Belfast, Northern Ireland. This would have been around 2 years ago. The tour included an (optional) visit to the cell for condemned prisoners waiting execution, the execution room where they were hung, hanged? and the room where the body was taken after. It was in this last room. We (all the tour group), about maybe a dozen of us were in the room, we were standing around the edge of the room, backs to the walls, I was standing along the wall which had the entrance door to the room with my brother, his adult son and another visitor between me and the door. I was standing with my arms down by my sides and was holding a rather heavy, digital SLR camera in my right hand. I felt a really, cold blast of air on my hand holding the camera and at the same time my hand was pushed out of the way? I thought my brother had accidentally pushed my hand or maybe wanted the camera but his arms were folded, and it was only later that I realised that I didnt actually feel anything touch my hand, it was more like this cold air had blown my hand out of the way. The door to the room was closed, so it wasn't a draft.
Not much, but it felt really weird at the time!

Welcome, and great first post!

Now that you mention it, I remember someone I knew through re-enactment circles once telling us the story of how he had woken up in his grotty bedsit in Huddersfield to see the figure of an old man doing a peculiar dance in the room. He said that the figure was a silhouette, and he described it as being made up of the lights you see if you close your eyes and then apply pressure with your fingers. So, not dots of light, exactly, but not a million miles away, either.
Krepostnoi, yes - that does describe it.

At this remove in time, I can remember more my own descriptions at the time than the actual thing. So whether the little dots were actually light I dunno - or how dark the room was (because if a full moon it might have been lighter than I remember) or why I thought of it as 'lights' - but I definitely remember thinking it reminded me of a comic. I know it wasn't solid at all but then again, it was quite detailed.

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum yesterday.
I haven't seen a ghost as such but I did experience something unusual while on a tour of The Crumlin Road Jail in Belfast, Northern Ireland. This would have been around 2 years ago. The tour included an (optional) visit to the cell for condemned prisoners waiting execution, the execution room where they were hung, hanged? and the room where the body was taken after. It was in this last room. We (all the tour group), about maybe a dozen of us were in the room, we were standing around the edge of the room, backs to the walls, I was standing along the wall which had the entrance door to the room with my brother, his adult son and another visitor between me and the door. I was standing with my arms down by my sides and was holding a rather heavy, digital SLR camera in my right hand. I felt a really, cold blast of air on my hand holding the camera and at the same time my hand was pushed out of the way? I thought my brother had accidentally pushed my hand or maybe wanted the camera but his arms were folded, and it was only later that I realised that I didnt actually feel anything touch my hand, it was more like this cold air had blown my hand out of the way. The door to the room was closed, so it wasn't a draft.
Not much, but it felt really weird at the time!
That's a good one. I wonder what those ghosts in places like that think of people going there to look at it.

Hard to imagine that a place that saw so much pain and fear and trauma wouldn't be somehow changed by it.

I’m 100% certain I saw a ghost (for want of a better word) in my friends parent’s house back in the mid 1990’s. I wasn’t the only one to experience this so I thought I’d post the experience, and perhaps people can tell me what they reckon.

It's a bit long I’m afraid, but I want to try to explain it as best I can.

Back in the spring of 1997 a mate of mine split up with his long term girlfriend, and as a stopgap decided to go back to his Mum and Dad’s for a few months to decide what his next move would be. One evening I popped round there to see him, and his Mum invited me to stay for dinner.

After dinner we were sitting in the living room half chatting and half watching the TV - from where I was sitting in the living room, I could see the kitchen (or part of) through a set of French double doors.

As I was sitting there, I caught sight of something on my periphery, so looked around and thought I could see a figure of a young girl standing in the kitchen by the dining table. The figure was slightly obscured by one of the doors being half closed, but I could definitely see it, and by judging her by the size of my own kids, I would say she was around 7 or 8 years of age, and had shoulder length blonde hair.

At first I thought it was some sort of weird reflection of something, and at that time I did not think I was seeing anything paranormal, so I continued to look at the figure wondering what on earth it was, when the bloody thing moved. It turned slightly to its right, stood still for a moment, then walked into a part of the kitchen that I couldn’t see (because of the dividing wall with the living room)

Obviously I was open mouthed at this, and my mates dad who was sitting in an armchair opposite me, asked if I was okay, to which I nodded, but I didn’t say anything as I couldn’t believe what I had just seen.

I was still thinking about it a few moments later, when my mates sister (who was also visiting ) announced she was making a cup of tea, and walked into the kitchen.

She was in there for a few seconds or so when there was a piercing scream, she then came running back in to the living room (empty tea cup in hand) screaming OMG OMG over and over.

Her parents calmed her down to the extent that she was able to tell them what had happened.

She said that she got a tea cup out of the cupboard, and was just about switch the kettle on, when she noticed something in the corner of her eye, turned and standing directly in front of her was a small blonde girl, who was standing quite still just staring at her.

At first the sister was a little confused as to what a random little girl was doing in her parents’ kitchen, when the little girl “just disappeared” that’s how the sister described it “she just disappeared”

I didn’t say a word to what I’d seen, it was like I didn’t want to add any more drama to the situation, plus there was a younger brother who was also in the room and I didn’t want to scare him, as looked scared enough.

Later on that evening I drove the sister home, and asked her to tell me again exactly what she saw, but she told me in no uncertain terms that she didn’t want to talk about it.

All this happened over 20 years ago, and to this day I have never spoken to my mate or his family about what I saw that evening – so hope none of them are members of this forum lol.

Back