• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

The girls liked to climb, steal, collect parts of cushions, and for some reason small coins. These were stashed on top of books in the bookcase.
The boys were total cuddle bags, one smee was a sleeve monster, quite happy to curl up in the hollow of my shoulder and brux his brains out..
Pic too large a file to post :(

The girls liked to climb, steal, collect parts of cushions, and for some reason small coins. These were stashed on top of books in the bookcase.
The boys were total cuddle bags, one smee was a sleeve monster, quite happy to curl up in the hollow of my shoulder and brux his brains out..
Pic too large a file to post :(
Yes rats love to climb and they're very good at it. They make great pets - very friendly and clever.

Could you edit the size of your pic so you can upload it?

I have compressed it as far as it will go, any more and the juices will flow. I t has ruined the quality. : (
It looks quite savage Leaf (siamese) has left foot on Rugs( rex russian blue) right foot and his right foot on rugs tail, following through with a chop to the throat. The reality they are just playing.. : )

kung fu ratties.JPG

Did I mention this before or post here about it? If so, might have been many years ago.

In the summer and autumn of 1988, I was making ends meet by working in a pair of interlinked restaurants in Norwich, on Pottergate in the old city centre: I've just looked on Google Street View to refresh my memory. The ground floor was a pizzeria, the level above served filled sweet and savoury pancakes. The establishment was built around a "mews" entrance to what would have been a larger residential property behind; this has now been split into smaller dwellings and flats and the whole would date back to the late 1700's. Anyone around Norwich in the 1980's and 1990's would have known it as Bagley's Barn, owned by the Dennis family; singer and songwriter Cathy Dennis was a daughter of the owners and knowing her at this time - really nice girl - was one of my few claims to peripheral fame. (they no longer own the site and things are in different usage now).

Anyway. One late Friday night in September 1988 after end of service. I was frankly exhausted and in an ASC after a long hard day in the kitchens doing both lunch and evening service. (It is also possible that my head was still fragile because of problems going on at the time, which I've described elsewhere) it was getting on for one in the morning, there was one more job I had to do in the upstairs of the building above both premises on the top floor used for storage: there was a further set of stairs leading up to the attic floor, but this was disused for our purposes and there was no need to go up there.

That night I saw somebody going up the stairs to the attic - a male figure, wearing some sort of head covering, possibly a hat of some sort, and one of those coats with what looks like an extra layer hanging down from the shoulders and collar; not un-known today, but looks vaguely archaic and "throwback" now. This was worn over baggy trousers and boots, all in dark material, and the person going up the stairs had their back to me. The coat they were wearing might have looked like the one in the illustration (this one is actually from 1860) with that upper fold-down part continued to the rear.

This was apparently the only way up and down. I recall just before the top landing, the staircase turned to the right and at this point anyone ascending it would have not been visible from where I was standing below, There was a landing and a single usually locked door at the top; when the person who I'd glimpsed going up the stairs did not come down again, I went up. Nothing there, door still locked, no alternative way around, nowhere for a person to conceal themselves, no overhead access to the roof - but I'd definitely seen somebody come up. I'd also heard my own feet making noise on bare wooden treads - the other person had been totally silent. I was getting a feeling this was out of the ordinary. You know, I didn't dream of telling anybody about this? Just wanted to get home and go to sleep. Later on I did get that there was talk of the building (on Pottergate) being haunted.

1590779523717.png

1590780098994.jpeg

The location for the possible haunting - directly above the mews entrance in between second floor and attic

Last edited:
I have compressed it as far as it will go, any more and the juices will flow. I t has ruined the quality. : (
It looks quite savage Leaf (siamese) has left foot on Rugs( rex russian blue) right foot and his right foot on rugs tail, following through with a chop to the throat. The reality they are just playing.. : )

View attachment 24910
If that was in a comic the speech bubble would say 'Ooyah!'

one of those coats with what looks like an extra layer hanging down from the shoulders and collar; not un-known today, but looks vaguely archaic and "throwback" now.
The the example you included looks like one of those raincoats coach drivers used to wear because they had to sit outside to drive the horses.

What an intriguing experience, AgProv, thank you for sharing it!

AgProv:

One version of a caped coat - the (US) Western and Australian duster - was becoming quite trendy and popular in the last 2 decades of the 20th century.

Did I mention this before or post here about it? If so, might have been many years ago.

In the summer and autumn of 1988, I was making ends meet by working in a pair of interlinked restaurants in Norwich, on Pottergate in the old city centre: I've just looked on Google Street View to refresh my memory. The ground floor was a pizzeria, the level above served filled sweet and savoury pancakes. The establishment was built around a "mews" entrance to what would have been a larger residential property behind; this has now been split into smaller dwellings and flats and the whole would date back to the late 1700's. Anyone around Norwich in the 1980's and 1990's would have known it as Bagley's Barn, owned by the Dennis family; singer and songwriter Cathy Dennis was a daughter of the owners and knowing her at this time - really nice girl - was one of my few claims to peripheral fame. (they no longer own the site and things are in different usage now).

Anyway. One late Friday night in September 1988 after end of service. I was frankly exhausted and in an ASC after a long hard day in the kitchens doing both lunch and evening service. (It is also possible that my head was still fragile because of problems going on at the time, which I've described elsewhere) it was getting on for one in the morning, there was one more job I had to do in the upstairs of the building above both premises on the top floor used for storage: there was a further set of stairs leading up to the attic floor, but this was disused for our purposes and there was no need to go up there.

That night I saw somebody going up the stairs to the attic - a male figure, wearing some sort of head covering, possibly a hat of some sort, and one of those coats with what looks like an extra layer hanging down from the shoulders and collar; not un-known today, but looks vaguely archaic and "throwback" now. This was worn over baggy trousers and boots, all in dark material, and the person going up the stairs had their back to me. The coat they were wearing might have looked like the one in the illustration (this one is actually from 1860) with that upper fold-down part continued to the rear.

This was apparently the only way up and down. I recall just before the top landing, the staircase turned to the right and at this point anyone ascending it would have not been visible from where I was standing below, There was a landing and a single usually locked door at the top; when the person who I'd glimpsed going up the stairs did not come down again, I went up. Nothing there, door still locked, no alternative way around, nowhere for a person to conceal themselves, no overhead access to the roof - but I'd definitely seen somebody come up. I'd also heard my own feet making noise on bare wooden treads - the other person had been totally silent. I was getting a feeling this was out of the ordinary. You know, I didn't dream of telling anybody about this? Just wanted to get home and go to sleep. Later on I did get that there was talk of the building (on Pottergate) being haunted.

View attachment 26688

View attachment 26689
The location for the possible haunting - directly above the mews entrance in between second floor and attic

Just for info, that type of coat is known as an Ulster.

maximus otter

Also sounds a bit like a full length riding coat, they have a kind of cape across the shoulders.

It's the silence that's so odd in AgProv's case. If it hadn't been silent I'd have wondered if you may have had a homeless person dossing down in the attics or upper rooms.

I walked a tiny portion of the Hoosac Tunnel on my own yesterday. I am such a pussy. I got 200m in and my adrenaline spiked and I noped right out. My poor pooch Lenny the Laboratory Labrador was cringing the whole way with me. I didn't even see a ghost, but my spidey senses were working overdrive telling me to GTFO. Was it the power of suggestion or genuine spooks? I am going with the former, as I didn't see any of the latter. The buzz was pretty awesome however, it made my skin crawl.

I walked a tiny portion of the Hoosac Tunnel on my own yesterday. I am such a pussy. I got 200m in and my adrenaline spiked and I noped right out. My poor pooch Lenny the Laboratory Labrador was cringing the whole way with me. I didn't even see a ghost, but my spidey senses were working overdrive telling me to GTFO. Was it the power of suggestion or genuine spooks? I am going with the former, as I didn't see any of the latter. The buzz was pretty awesome however, it made my skin crawl.
I was going to offer to walk it with you if it's anywhere near me, which it is, and then I read up on it and it's a fully-active fright line. Lenny was probably listening to the tracks. So not a good idea.

I was going to offer to walk it with you if it's anywhere near me, which it is, and then I read up on it and it's a fully-active fright line. Lenny was probably listening to the tracks. So not a good idea.
Your point is quite correct and not lost on me Lb8535, thank you for it too. I think you mean freight line, not fright line, but the apparent mistake is somehow more fitting than the correct spelling imo. Kudos. Lenny sends you a high 5 paw buddy.

Your point is quite correct and not lost on me Lb8535, thank you for it too. I think you mean freight line, not fright line, but the apparent mistake is somehow more fitting than the correct spelling imo. Kudos. Lenny sends you a high 5 paw buddy.

This concerned me too. Walking through working railway tunnels is a bad idea. You might find yourself getting the job as the ghost.

This concerned me too. Walking through working railway tunnels is a bad idea. You might find yourself getting the job as the ghost.
i seem to remember a ghost hunter investigating a haunted railway line....did not end well.

i seem to remember a ghost hunter investigating a haunted railway line....did not end well.
There's a video of (I think German) cyclists charging out of a railway tunnel pursued by a fast locomotive!

Do toddlers see ghosts until about the age of a year or so?

It has been noted that some toddlers have been seen pointing to empty space in their bedrooms.

It has been noted that some toddlers want inter react to empty space on cemeteries.

This behavior seems to end at a year.

One theory is that the brain is still trying to understand the physical world at that age, and the brain is playing tricks and all of this means nothing.

Maybe so.

i used to be trained and licensed to work on live railways - including in tunnels sometimes. Scary, even when you know where the all places of safety are.
We sometimes cycle through disused railway tunnels on bike tracks. They do of course have the safety alcoves for workers to step into as trains pass.
I always give them a glance in case someone is still in there! ;)

We sometimes cycle through disused railway tunnels on bike tracks. They do of course have the safety alcoves for workers to step into as trains pass.
I always give them a glance in case someone is still in there! ;)
You as well. There's an old railway line near me which is now a path. It has a tunnel which passes more or less underneath an old cemetery. It's well lit, but still feels a bit creepy. I always check the alcove as I walk past it.

Back