• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Really great story PeteS. You say the old lady appeared to be looking at an actual photo on the wall. This would surely rule out the "stone tape recording" kind of apparition here, as she has some kind of conscious interaction with the present. Unless there had been a photo in exactly the same place while she was alive that is.

Really great story PeteS. You say the old lady appeared to be looking at an actual photo on the wall. This would surely rule out the "stone tape recording" kind of apparition here, as she has some kind of conscious interaction with the present. Unless there had been a photo in exactly the same place while she was alive that is.

Reminds me of the story on'ere about someone who had a house with a previous use as a dance school.
Faces were seen lined up apparently peering through a wall where there had been, it was discovered, an opening for people to watch through.

It seemed some long-dead dance pupils were still lining up for their next lesson!

Reminds me of the story on'ere about someone who had a house with a previous use as a dance school.
Faces were seen lined up apparently peering through a wall where there had been, it was discovered, an opening for people to watch through.

It seemed some long-dead dance pupils were still lining up for their next lesson!
Or might have been Alternative Universe but with the same people just living a few years later.....so if that's the case there might be many versions of me both younger, older and the same ?

When we first married my wife saw a little girl in our apartment’s hallway and then vanished.

My question is why always a little girl and why always the hallway like in the movies ?

As talked about before, her passed father came to her when he died, and when in the past her mother was dying of

cancer her father came to her to comfort her.

I have no reason to doubt my wife about anything being married 50 years.

Was the photo on the wall significant in any way?
Re the photo, was the hook where it hung a permanent fixture (ie was it there when you moved in) or did you put it up? If you did, were there any marks to indicate that anything had previously been in that wall? The lady may not have been looking at a picture, she could have been looking in a mirror....

Re the photo, was the hook where it hung a permanent fixture (ie was it there when you moved in) or did you put it up? If you did, were there any marks to indicate that anything had previously been in that wall? The lady may not have been looking at a picture, she could have been looking in a mirror....
Leading the witness m’lud.

I thought of this, but unfortunately I had the wall re plastered just after I moved in. (yep I pealed the wall paper back slightly yesterday to confirm that was the case-it was nearly 30 years ago.)

Yes what I should have said was that she was looking at the place on the wall where the photograph is. As Catseye suggested there could have been a mirror there when, or if, she lived in the house previously.
Thinking about it, the house does give off a sense of peace and quiet, despite being on what is now a main road. I have previously mentioned that it has in the past attracted endless numbers of stray animals, actually into the house - dogs, cats, birds, butterflies, hedgehogs, a fox, a peacock on several occasions, rabbits etc. Perhaps, when I'm not there, other things find a bit of sanctuary in that place. I shall ponder further.

Morning peteS hope you’re recovering okay.
Have you had a better time/feeling calmer since seeing her
Not sure on that one WM, adrenalin still circulating from last few weeks experience, but see my post on Vivid dreaming.

I’ve only ever ‘seen’ things in peripheral vision. When I was very young, it was the family dog after he died; I’d ’see’ him trotting around the side of the house etc. The same with anything that seemed to be a person — gone when you look at it directly.

The last instance was the year before last. I was standing at the back door, (daytime) and had a sudden impression that my partner, who had been upstairs was coming silently up behind me, as when someone does that to make you jump and says ‘Gotcha!’ that sort of thing.

I turned around fast and for 2/3 seconds, I saw someone, but it definitely wasn’t my partner. It seemed as if they were smiling as if to say, ‘Okay, you saw me.’ and then were gone. It was not solid like a person, but seemed sketched out of lines of light, is the best way to explain it. I’ve felt the same presence and ‘seen’ the same figure before a few years before that.

My partner was the first person to live in this house after it was built, so there’s no history to the place.

I actually bought a ghost app and according to that ghosts are popping in and out of this area all the time, but the house is as ‘active’ as a lump of lead. (It’s this one, MC?) Just a bit of fun.

1FC8295F-A711-4D86-9B1B-F7A1FA4E0A30.jpeg

I’ve only ever ‘seen’ things in peripheral vision. When I was very young, it was the family dog after he died; I’d ’see’ him trotting around the side of the house etc. The same with anything that seemed to be a person — gone when you look at it directly.
Something similar happened to me years ago, just after one of my dogs had been put down. I went out walking with my brother and our other dogs, but kept thinking I saw the recently-deceased dog running through the woods around us in the mid-distance, as she liked to do. This only happened the one time, a day or so after she was put down. I mentioned to my brother that I kept thinking I could see the dog, and he said he could too!

I’ve only ever ‘seen’ things in peripheral vision.

Me too. I was in a room the other day, out of the corner of my eye, past the corridoor, into the kitchen. I saw a black "figure" walk into the kitchen and go behind the wall. I am 99.9% positive it was some sort of technical eye malarkey. Not a spook.

This only happened the one time, a day or so after she was put down. I mentioned to my brother that I kept thinking I could see the dog, and he said he could too!

Check this then. When I was a kid my Mum had a canary. It whistled and made a kind of metallic ting sound when it would jumpy off the cage walls. Then it died. I heard it's whistle and the ting for many years until I moved out. Kind of a stone tape thing going on? Or, more likely for me, the fact that things get imprinted/burnt onto our minds and repeat themselves?

Something similar happened to me years ago, just after one of my dogs had been put down. I went out walking with my brother and our other dogs, but kept thinking I saw the recently-deceased dog running through the woods around us in the mid-distance, as she liked to do. This only happened the one time, a day or so after she was put down. I mentioned to my brother that I kept thinking I could see the dog, and he said he could too!

Beautiful! :)

We have 'Animal Ghosts' and I think 'Ghosts of Pets' threads that you might like.

In one I posted about 'seeing' our dear late Tripehound reflected in the glass of an internal door, with his stripey brindle back and distinctive curly tail.

Kind of a stone tape thing going on? Or, more likely for me, the fact that things get imprinted/burnt onto our minds and repeat themselves?
I do think there might be some mileage in the ‘stone tape’ theory, especially when ghosts are allegedly seen walking in the same places, etc, like a perpetual rewind-and-play sort of thing. Sounds, too. I’ve read so many accounts of people seeing, hearing or even feeling their deceased pets. They seem more common than ghost sightings of figures.

’ve read so many accounts of people seeing, hearing or even feeling their deceased pets.

I'm pretty sure that's a testament to the intense bonds we have with our pets. Often even trumping those we have with our families.

I doubt the stone tape theory in these cases. I think it's more like the brain replaying images/sights/sounds of those animals we've had strong reltationships with...maybe even the brain yearning to experience these things again?

However - I couldn't care less about that canary so maybe that disproves my point!

I'm pretty sure that's a testament to the intense bonds we have with our pets. Often even trumping those we have with our families.

I doubt the stone tape theory in these cases. I think it's more like the brain replaying images/sights/sounds of those animals we've had strong reltationships with...maybe even the brain yearning to experience these things again?

However - I couldn't care less about that canary so maybe that disproves my point!
The canary was part of your life though, whether you were fond of it or not. Like the squeaky window hinge or the noisy boiler.

The canary was part of your life though, whether you were fond of it or not. Like the squeaky window hinge or the noisy boiler.

Yeah, that's right. It was a "house sound". I think maybe the brain can get lazy...and maybe run these sights/sounds/smells, rightfully expecting you to experience them anyway...so it might as well just run them and switch off to rest. Kind of like autopilot.

I wonder if this is the same sort of thing as 'feeling' your mobile vibrating in your pocket when it's on the table? Something we get so used to reacting to that we still 'twitch' a reaction out of habit and maybe retcon the impetus?

If you are in the habit of walking a dog in a particular place, and you always have half an eye on what the dog is up to during the walk, then perhaps when you go there again after the dog has gone, your mind is still aware that it has to 'keep an eye on the dog' so it 'creates' the dog to give it a reason for the feeling.

Or something.

We had our pet cat put to sleep 3 weeks ago.

On Monday evening I walked into the kitchen and could definitely smell cat food, like a pouch had just been opened.

I slowly looked behind the kitchen door where the cats food bowl used to be kept, and half expected to see him crouching there eating, but no nothing there at all.

Then I noticed an empty bag of Walkers roast beef crisps on the kitchen table.

Bloody kids. Why can’t they put away after themselves. Nearly gave me fright.

We had our pet cat put to sleep 3 weeks ago.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I hope you guys are all doing ok.

I think your brain expected to smell cat food, so you did. I wouldn't have been suprised if you would have seen him, briefly, like a shadow again because the brain expected you to.

Let's have a

:bump::sbump:

for our new readers.

Ghosts are my very favourite Fortean phenomena.
Everything associated with them interests me, up to and including fraudulent spirit photography. :cool:

There are some grand accounts of true spookiness in this very thread. Fill yer boots.

Years ago when my Nan died, I saw her face on another woman, I was on my way to work on the bus and reading the local paper and looked up and saw my Nan.
I believe this is called a manifestation. We have quite a few mentions of it around the 'board.

(Sometimes the face that appears is a skull, as seen by the late Michael Bentine during his RAF service. When he saw it before a mission he knew that particular airman wasn't coming home.)

Back