• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Sometimes the face that appears is a skull, as seen by the late Michael Bentine during his RAF service. When he saw it before a mission he knew that particular airman wasn't coming home.)

I remember reading of that Escargot. I found it very chilling.
Also yes, out of all Fortean phenomenon ghosts etc is the one that I remain completely fascinated by. Anyone can try prying my old Peter Underwood ghost books out of my cold dead hands, hah! (Or in fact, my partner’s mum now as she’s had some strange experiences and has borrowed a lot of them).

Also yes, out of all Fortean phenomenon ghosts etc is the one that I remain completely fascinated by. Anyone can try prying my old Peter Underwood ghost books out of my cold dead hands, hah! (Or in fact, my partner’s mum now as she’s had some strange experiences and has borrowed a lot of them).

Yeah ghosts have always done it for me.

I must have been 12 or 13 years of age at the time, and I remember a neighbour who lived a few doors along from us, telling my Mum, that they had to throw their dart board away, because on 4 consecutive nights while the family was in bed, they all heard the sound of someone playing darts in the kitchen.

Every time the husband went to check, the kitchen was dark and empty, but as soon as he got back to his bedroom, the sounds of darts hitting the dartboard was started up again.

Scared the life out of me at the time as I had a dartboard in my bedroom. :)

Yeah ghosts have always done it for me.

I must have been 12 or 13 years of age at the time, and I remember a neighbour who lived a few doors along from us, telling my Mum, that they had to throw their dart board away, because on 4 consecutive nights while the family was in bed, they all heard the sound of someone playing darts in the kitchen.

Every time the husband went to check, the kitchen was dark and empty, but as soon as he got back to his bedroom, the sounds of darts hitting the dartboard was started up again.

Scared the life out of me at the time as I had a dartboard in my bedroom. :)
Brrrr.

Pease visit your partner’s mum and beat the spooky stories out of her encourage her to disclose those interesting experiences.

I believe this is called a manifestation. We have quite a few mentions of it around the 'board.

(Sometimes the face that appears is a skull, as seen by the late Michael Bentine during his RAF service. When he saw it before a mission he knew that particular airman wasn't coming home.)
There must be endless stories about ghosts and their activities from WW1 and 2. I remember reading that the grandmother of the writer of "We were soldiers" (a song about his grandad) witnessed husband's picture falling off the wall suddenly. She knew immediately that he had been killed (in WW1) - proved to be correct and at the exact time the picture fell.

A chap I worked with lived in a big old house, is daughter also
worked with us and she told us that they had a billiard room that
was haunted, the ghost would knock the balls about all night, they
would sneak up to the door but as soon as they opened it silence.
They got fed up with this and swapped the billiards for a drum kit,
you can guess what happened from then on, I offered to stay the night
in the room but they did not fancy that for some reason, pity.

A chap I worked with lived in a big old house, is daughter also
worked with us and she told us that they had a billiard room that
was haunted, the ghost would knock the balls about all night, they
would sneak up to the door but as soon as they opened it silence.
They got fed up with this and swapped the billiards for a drum kit,
you can guess what happened from then on, I offered to stay the night
in the room but they did not fancy that for some reason, pity.
Probably would have been a touch easier to just remove the balls out of reach of the little blighter.

Pease visit your partner’s mum and beat the spooky stories out of her encourage her to disclose those interesting experiences.
We’re going on holiday with my partner’s parents in September for 2 weeks (lovely old place in Wales) so plenty of time for me to ask her about it then! Her husband‘s a total sceptic so I think she might enjoy talking about it. Evenings beginning to draw in, old place in the country…perfect time and place!

The former Mr Snail was proud of being a sceptic even though he was constantly mind-read, phantom dripped-upon, haunted by our ghost cat etc.
I think it sent him bit potty. :chuckle:
Sounds exactly like my partner’s dad. He’s so sceptical he would find an explanation for anything, even though the explanation was even more ridiculous than an actual ghost!

Sounds exactly like my partner’s dad. He’s so sceptical he would find an explanation for anything, even though the explanation was even more ridiculous than an actual ghost!
Same with my son, our very own CERN top Higgs-analysing PhD particle physicist Escet.
We both together saw a spectacular example of my house's phantom drip - the best ever, I reckon - and did the usual on-the-spot investigation and of curse found zilch.

At the time he was doing A Levels with an eye to higher education and so was rather stunned to be subjected to such a phenomenon.
He later decided it was some kind of joint hallucination. :rolleyes:

There must be endless stories about ghosts and their activities from WW1 and 2. I remember reading that the grandmother of the writer of "We were soldiers" (a song about his grandad) witnessed husband's picture falling off the wall suddenly. She knew immediately that he had been killed (in WW1) - proved to be correct and at the exact time the picture fell.
Before she met and married my father my mum was engaged to a soldier during WW2. He had been posted overseas and my mum, her sister and their mother all were woken by a loud hammering on one of the bedroom doors in the middle of the night. I think they were all too scared to investigate but a day or so later she heard from her fiance's mother that he had been drowned when his troopship was torpedoed and sunk. I wish I had asked more details now such as the time it happened to see if it coincided with the ship sinking and so on.

all were woken by a loud hammering on one of the bedroom doors in the middle of the night. ... he had been drowned when his troopship was torpedoed and sunk.
Funnily enough I was just reading some similar anecdotes last night - in a book from the 1600s called 'The Natural History of Oxfordshire' by Mr Plot. https://archive.org/details/naturalhistoryof00plotuoft/page/n237/mode/2up so you may find those interesting!

(I was actually after the account of the 'devil of woodstock' which comes after those... which sounds like a classic poltergeist, although someone later claimed it was all down to them and their accomplices).

Have to say, it's been a while since we've been properly haunted. Disappointing.

Escargot - I think that means your life has settled down nicely OR that you need to stir the pot until the haunting comes back. I hope its the latter. :) Let us know what works (specific actions and words) so we can all summon the haunts.

Escargot - I think that means your life has settled down nicely OR that you need to stir the pot until the haunting comes back. I hope its the latter. :) Let us know what works (specific actions and words) so we can all summon the haunts.
A couple of jobs ago there used to be polty stuff going on in the area I worked most in, when I was stressed up about MOTs or falling out with people.

Didn't happen at home. We get the activity here when we decorate or make alterations.
Some years ago, as I've droned on about at length on'ere, we had major changes to about half the house and the ghosts took an interest. :chuckle:

The builder would now and then voice objectionable homophobic and racist views so I reckon the house didn't like him.

Or maybe if it's a polt, it was my expressing my own distaste for his attitudes. It did this by frightening him and pushing him into a bath. :cool:

Oh do go on :)
It's all on'ere somewhere.

Long story short: the new bathroom suite was in the front room waiting to be installed. The builder was attaching hinges to a door, which he had leaned firmly against the wall braced with his foot. We were discussing the previous day's house spookiness.

He finished a hinge, turned from the door and stepped away from it, saying something like 'Any more of THAT and I'm OFF!'
The door then lifted away from the wall, hit him on back, knocked him into the bath and landed on top of him like a lid.

I am smiling at that very door as we speak. :)

Last edited:
Long story short: the new bathroom suite was in the front room waiting to be installed. The builder was attaching hinges to a door, which he had leaned firmly against the wall braced with his foot. We were discussing the previous day's house spookiness.

He finished a hinge, turned from the door and stepped away from it, saying something like 'Any more of THAT and I'm OFF!'
The door then lifted away from the wall, hit him on back, knocked him into the bath and landed on top of him like a lid.

did he finish your bath?

did he finish your bath?
Had to bribe him to stay, but he did finish it all.
Hw certainly didn't appreciate being laughed at when he was face-down in that bath though. :chuckle:

Did you actually SEE the door lift away from the wall?

Did you actually SEE the door lift away from the wall?
Yup, I was sitting down watching him attach the hinges and listening to him complaining about the house spookiness.
Saw it with my own eyes.
Can remember feeling concerned that the ornamental glass panels might break but they didn't.

Back in the late 80s I was called out, one winter evening, by a letting agent who was looking after an empty house which was out in some woods a few miles from me. It was a large-ish place 4-5 bedrooms and set in its own big garden. We had had a very hard freeze for a few days and now that it had warmed up slightly he had visited and found water everywhere where the pipes had burst. It was around 7pm and dark when I arrived to try and limit the damage. The agent was waiting for me in his car and gave me the key , he was feeling a bit guilty that he had left the house with no heating running or even turned the water off and soon left me to it. I was on my own with only a torch, as the water had blown the electrics and all I could really do was find the main stopcock and isolate it and drain down anything still left in the system. It had frozen so badly that even some of the big old 1930s cast iron radiators had split.
Obviously it felt pretty creepy on my own anyway but I just tried to get it done as quickly as possible to get back home. I quickly found the water main and turned it off and was going around the bathrooms upstairs to turn on the taps to empty what was left in the tanks when I heard what sounded like someone entering through the front door (which I had left open) and wiping their feet quite heavily on the coarse doormat by the door. I listened for a bit , thinking it might be the agent popping back but I hadn't heard his(or any ) car come back into the long drive. I was a bit concerned then that it might be someone trying to steal something (although why would they wipe their feet!) so went downstairs making as much noise as possible to hopefully scare them off.
Luckily there was no one there that I could see but then I wondered if they might be waiting for me to leave so thought I had better check around the house one more time to make sure. One thing about being a plumber is that you always have plenty of big heavy tools to hand, so armed with some 18" stillsons I did a tour. I worked my way around the downstairs first which was all clear, trying to use my torch as little as possible to save the battery which was now going down a bit, then went upstairs working from room to room. I was listening out carefully but doubt I would have heard much over my heart pounding to be honest! I went into one box room towards the end of the corridor and, pushing the door open carefully, I walked in as quietly as possible only to be confronted by someone standing in front of me! I always thought that having your hair stand on end when frightened was just an expression but I reckon mine actually did... It was only when I flicked my torch on I realised that it was a full length mirror against the wall.... Needless to say I left pretty quickly then. I am still puzzled by the sound of feet on doormat though!

Same with my son, our very own CERN top Higgs-analysing PhD particle physicist Escet.
We both together saw a spectacular example of my house's phantom drip - the best ever, I reckon - and did the usual on-the-spot investigation and of curse found zilch.

At the time he was doing A Levels with an eye to higher education and so was rather stunned to be subjected to such a phenomenon.
He later decided it was some kind of joint hallucination. :rolleyes:
Phantom drip?

Back