• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Phantom drip?
We have an entire thread on Phantom Drips!
It's when some gloopy substance falls from a height or ceiling and vanishes. It can be seen, heard and felt - icy cold - but not caught or preserved.

It happens in my current house and was also seen in the previous one.

This happens to lots of people, not just my family.

We have an entire thread on Phantom Drips!
It's when some gloopy substance falls from a height or ceiling and vanishes. It can be seen, heard and felt - icy cold - but not caught or preserved.

It happens in my current house and was also seen in the previous one.

This happens to lots of people, not just my family.
Well damn:

"Phantom Drips

The "thread" you mentioned back in 2004 wasn't a thread on the FTMB forum that survives to the present day.* It was a webpage in the IHTM section of the old FT website. (* There's a faint chance it was a thread on the original version of the forum and was lost years ago.) Here is the latest...
So you'll have to tell us about your phantom drips.

Well damn:

"Phantom Drips

The "thread" you mentioned back in 2004 wasn't a thread on the FTMB forum that survives to the present day.* It was a webpage in the IHTM section of the old FT website. (* There's a faint chance it was a thread on the original version of the forum and was lost years ago.) Here is the latest...
Here is the thread.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/phantom-drips.13355/

Well damn:

"Phantom Drips

Well damn indeed. :chuckle:
Where is that "thread"?

We have a thread on Phantom Drips on'ere to which I have contributed.

Edit: beaten to it!

I notice them in the summer too, at least a couple of times a week. Last time was a day or so ago in the kitchen.
I still stop as I walk past and check if the rings are off!

When you look in a mirror, is there someone looking back ?

Windows and mirrors are portals of the spirits.

Are you afraid to look behind your closed shower curtain before getting into your shower because you thought you saw a shadow behind the curtain ?

Why would that be, then? If they're spirits, can't they go where they like? Are you saying they're constrained somehow by the material world even though they're not material? Or perhaps it's the way a human being (who uses windows and mirrors to see things) would need as a method to see spirits? Or perhaps you're being poetic. Do elaborate :)

When you look in a mirror, is there someone looking back ?

Are you afraid to look behind your closed shower curtain before getting into your shower because you thought you saw a shadow behind the curtain ?
Do you mean me or everyone?
None of these things has ever frightened me.

Although, to be fair, most of the 'anomalies' that I have seen, have been in mirrors.
Mirrors are weird. As a kid I was terrified of them, for no definable reason. Even now, I find them a little unnerving, although I have never experienced anything anomalous with one. It's just a matter of time... there could be anything waiting in there!

They're here :p
Someone I know lived in a flat where an elderly relation by marriage of hers had lived some time before before.
She'd sometimes see Walter's reflection, usually in the TV screen. As she'd known him slightly she recognised him.

For some reason she began asking Walter to help her find lost things and was pleased when they always turned up.
That's another family habit, of asking supernatural beings to locate our missing items.
My Welsh Gran would ask the 'Little Black Girl', dunno where that came from.

My ex who i met in the early 00s used to see (from a young age) a black shape, fuzzy & described as an outline of a `man` When I met her the house she was living in at the time (id stated this i think in a previous thread) had a `presence` on the stairs, who we named `Sid`. As this presence was felt quite a lot we did discuss ghosts & past experiences, which in turn brought up my exes `fuzzy` visitor.

She mentioned how when she was about 14-15 her parents house had a long living room with patio doors at the end & how she had seen this dark shape appear in front of these doors & then fade (or move away). Her mother knew about this & would at certain times when my ex was quiet or `in the zone` would ask `is your visitor here Sarah`? (not her real name by the way) This was such a common occurrence that it was part of the family.

Moving on to when I met her, my parents lived not too far from Sarah & she`d come back to my parents house. On one of these occasions wed been upstairs in my bedroom & my room had a `cupboard` in the corner (a built in one) my ex would (if we where in the bedroom) always remind me that she `didn't like that cupboard`, why or who knows, but before id met my ex wed lived there for about 14 years & never experienced anything in the whole house, never mind this particular cupboard. Again my ex would never say why.....

This one night id gone downstairs to make a cuppa, at some point (seconds later) Sarah came down, she didn't `look right` , & I said something like `are you OK` she said shed been sat on my bed, watching T.V. when she was `spooked`.......& it was the feeling from the cupboard....she didn't like it & had come down to help me make the tea. I popped my head into the living room to ask my parents if they wanted a cuppa, & when i went back into the hallway (where Sarah was stood waiting) her face was `white as a sheet` (i can still remember he face / expression now).

Straight away i said you've seen `him` haven't you? she just said `yes` & described how shed seen the dark fuzzy shape at the end of our hallway, then it just moved through the wall (it must have been seconds).

That was really the only time i can remember her seeing `him` whilst i was with her (we where only together a few years). But I do wonder if she still sees `him` etc........I suppose she wouldn't be `spooked` by it so much really if it was quite frequent, (shes about 40 now).

Took a call at work today.
After we had discussed the work issue, the customer related the following to me.

I make no commentary, other than what the customer told me:

Has lived in a house over 15 years.
House is around 200 years old, near the water in Gosport, Hampshire, England.
River has bones and "old cannonballs" in the surrounding mud.

Living room tends to get chilly in the evenings.
To solve this, customer put in new door, draught excluders roudn the windows.
But nothing solved it.

Last week they had a medium visit the house.
Medium told customer that three spirits are in the house.

One was a farmer who threw his wife down the stairs when alive.
Said spirit "lives" in the hallway of the house, is angry with customer because customer has moved objects in the house and the spirit is confused by the layout of the house. Spirit does not realise it is dead.
Spirit is angry with the customer, wants to throw them down the stairs too.

The medium 'banished" this spirit.

The living room gets cold in the evenings because the spirits of the wife and child of the farmer, visit and sit down to "eat" between 6PM and PM every evening, as they were accustomed to when alive.

Customer is OK with this, as they have come to no harm and they are relieved to "know" why there is a draught.

Took a call at work today.
After we had discussed the work issue, the customer related the following to me.

I make no commentary, other than what the customer told me:

Has lived in a house over 15 years.
House is around 200 years old, near the water in Gosport, Hampshire, England.
River has bones and "old cannonballs" in the surrounding mud.

Living room tends to get chilly in the evenings.
To solve this, customer put in new door, draught excluders roudn the windows.
But nothing solved it.

Last week they had a medium visit the house.
Medium told customer that three spirits are in the house.

One was a farmer who threw his wife down the stairs when alive.
Said spirit "lives" in the hallway of the house, is angry with customer because customer has moved objects in the house and the spirit is confused by the layout of the house. Spirit does not realise it is dead.
Spirit is angry with the customer, wants to throw them down the stairs too.

The medium 'banished" this spirit.

The living room gets cold in the evenings because the spirits of the wife and child of the farmer, visit and sit down to "eat" between 6PM and PM every evening, as they were accustomed to when alive.

Customer is OK with this, as they have come to no harm and they are relieved to "know" why there is a draught.
Hmmm….. I’m going to suggest the word ‘gullible’. If the medium ‘banished' the 1st spirit, why couldn’t they banish the others as well leaving him/her with a nice warm room?

Surely he/she would’ve been better off keeping the 1st spirit & ‘banishing' the other two who were causing the draught.

Last edited:
Hmmm….. I’m going to suggest the word ‘gullible’. If the medium ‘banished' the 1st spirit, why couldn’t they banish the others as well leaving him/her with a nice warm room?

Surely he/she would’ve been better off keeping the 1st spirit & ‘banishing' the other two who were causing the draught.
The customer doesn't mind the chill now they now where it's from. They are not afraid. Being lobbed down the stairs might not be as much fun though.

As with my house, where the strange stuff occurs and we just laugh.

The customer doesn't mind the chill now they now where it's from. They are not afraid. Being lobbed down the stairs might not be as much fun though.

As with my house, where the strange stuff occurs and we just laugh.
Has anyone been lobbed down the stairs by a 'spirit', ever?

I asked that during the call.

The customer said that they were OK having the two spirits around as they were not malevolent, and were simply relieved to at last "know" the cause of the lowered temperatures after 6PM.

Many years in the past when my wife was trying help her sick mom with cancer, and I had the lonely bedroom to myself.

I always have a night light on, but on one particular night I felt a presence in the bedroom and the temperature in the room started to drop.

I talking about needing a coat temperature, and this puzzled me as why it was so cold.

This cold lasted about 10 minutes.

The only conclusion is that the wife’s mother was having a bad time about that same time.

Then it gets stranger as my wife claimed her dead father came to her and told my wife no one would die tonight.

My wife is a “ straight shooter “ so I believe her.

I asked that during the call.

The customer said that they were OK having the two spirits around as they were not malevolent, and were simply relieved to at last "know" the cause of the lowered temperatures after 6PM.
Maybe they were glad of the company at mealtime. I’d want to know whether the room warms up & the draught disappears after 8pm. Is it just a 2 hour cold/draughty period then back to normal for 22 hours?

I realise we're not going to get answers to this. I do like a punctual spirit though.

Has anyone been lobbed down the stairs by a 'spirit', ever?
Plenty of people have reported physical contact with spirits in one way or another. It's sometimes claimed to be fun. :wink2:

Being told some unseen entity wants to throw you downstairs though, that's rather specific. Someone who'd bring in a medium is likely to feel unsettled about that.

Well in my post (further up) I mentioned the ghost at my exes house (Sid) who hung (no pun intended) around the stairs. When I first visited my ex the first time I ascended & de-scended the stairs, the feeling of being watched & someone right behind you was very powerful / overwhelming..... you just didn't want to turn around just in case Sid was behind you.

I don't think he wanted to push people down the stairs physically but as this awful feeling got worse, you did literally run down the stairs very fast sometimes, to the point of where you could fall. Luckily nobody did.

I'm sure I've read accounts of people claiming to have been pushed downstairs by unseen hands. It's too early right now to chase that thought down - maybe later.
Well in my post (further up) I mentioned the ghost at my exes house (Sid) who hung (no pun intended) around the stairs. When I first visited my ex the first time I ascended & de-scended the stairs, the feeling of being watched & someone right behind you was very powerful / overwhelming..... you just didn't want to turn around just in case Sid was behind you.

I don't think he wanted to push people down the stairs physically but as this awful feeling got worse, you did literally run down the stairs very fast sometimes, to the point of where you could fall. Luckily nobody did.
We have discussions of scary staircases on'ereabouts.

In my second childhood home I found the stairs a bit eerie and didn't like looking down them at night.
My mother told me much later that whenever she reached a certain stair, going either way, she'd feel that someone was trying to grab her and shove her down.

Back