• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Have I seen a ghost? [Saddle up for the ride]. A good Fortean will always keep an open mind yet still be cautious when examining the 'facts' around phenomena. It would be easy to say "Yes! I have seen a ghost." though I would then find my relating the experience would [and should] come under great scrutiny. With these in mind, I can only say that "I have had some strange experiences concerning perception that may appear to be 'ghost' related." I would then find myself asking such questions as "Can I define what a ghost is?" or "Is my perception of ghosts affected by my cultural background and other factors?" and "Do I want the stigma or celebrity of being 'that bloke who sees ghosts'?". Someone much cleverer than me could probably write a book that would aim to answer those very questions. Who am I kidding? We all know there are many such books.

So I will give some examples of the many different 'ghost' related events that have happened in my family. Believe the examples or not. Come up with explanations or take what I write at face value or, maybe, with a pinch of salt - it's your pick!

• Aged around nine years with my two younger siblings in tow I walked ahead of our parents [staying well in sight of them] towards our home. We kids would often be in trouble for standing on the low wall of our garden 'rocking' on the low wooden fence. On this occasion my sister was the first onto the wall and 'took off' towards the oldies crying and screaming "whose that man?". When Both of us looked beyond the fence into the house 'living room' my brother and then me saw what appeared to be an old man sitting, looking quite relaxed, in one of the single recliner chairs therein. As one may imagine the events that followed where on the lines of; one very tearful, scared little girl and two little boys excitedly shouting "There's a man in the house." Mother huddling the girl trying to calm her, Father first trying to calm the boys and assure them no one could get in our house as it was secured quite well then going to check. Long story short - there was no man! Of course we kids thought we had seen a ghost.
  • Same family home some years later and we find the two parents hosting other adults [from wider family]. The story here is very long so I will give the shortest version. As adults are talking, the children were upstairs playing or sleeping. The adults all had a tea or coffee but non were drinking as they were deep in conversation. Without warning a cup and saucer placed securely on a table rose into the air by a few feet then the cup tipped up it's content onto the saucer then, inevitably, the table, floor and a leg of the nearest person. The man with the soaked leg ran out of the house and refused to enter it ever again.
  • There was also and odd, intermittently repeating, scenario in that same house. In short it involved closing curtains at one end of the large living room, moving to and closing the curtains on other side of room then turning [as to leave the room] only to find the first set of curtains fully open!
  • In another house [a later home of the family involved] many other strange things happened. Aged around fourteen years, maybe a little younger, the eldest of the children was inconsolable for many hours after walking into his bedroom and seeing, quite clearly, his long dead grandfather seemingly looking at a photo of the children that was on a drawer set in the room. The parents made the situation worse by first taking it as a prank then trying to dismiss it as the boy simply seeing either the photo or his own reflection in its glass fronted frame.
  • In the same house the two younger siblings where in the same room as the eldest was in the previous incident. The kids where looking through magazines, chatting and listening to music when an object about the size of a tennis ball, seemingly made of light and described as "You know; like staring at something then closing your eyes and still seeing the object floating and a different colour." suddenly but casually came through the closed, locked window of the room, floated around a while, pulsing all the time, then exited the way it entered.
  • Same house, same room on another day. A child shouts at brother to stop playing guitar so loud and opens the door to enter room. Rather surprisingly the brother was not there and no electronic device, vinyl record player, tape deck, radio or TV are switched on or making sound. The din continues as the child turns and looks at the guitar mounted in its usual place [when not in use] on a wall merrily playing itself!
  • There was an incident in that same room where the younger brother claimed to have seen a man with an "Egyptian dog head" [maybe Jackal] peering into the living room from the house entrance hallway. Of course the mother found the doors all locked and windows all closed and no person / thing abroad. Maybe that one could be put down to a fever as the child was off school quite ill when the incident happened.
My goodness! Talk about writing a book about seeing / experiencing ghostly activity or other phenomenon or answering those questions! I maybe should do just that.

All the examples and many more really have happened within my close and wider family. I could tell the tale* of one of the siblings being in the next family home [their own children, teens at the time, not present ] as an adult visiting the parents when an ornamental 'frame' containing a collection of ornamental spoons mysteriously floated about a foot away from its normal secure wall fixing parallel to the floor then suddenly dropped as if forced or flung onto the poor individual [the fixing was sound when examined and the frame would have had to be lifted off it!]. I think there is enough weirdness in this post already though.

Kind regards all.

* Dang! I did tell the tale. :)

Edit - minor change to repeated wording, a few spelling corrections and rewording of a fragmented line.
Fascinating post

Where is the location of this house...?

They were dressed like @Mouldy13.

like this?

PIC.jpg

Hi all,

I know you'll understand when I just give a general area as being specific is an online no no. The houses are all in the North of England.

I really could write a book if I put my mind to it!

Other stories in my immediate and wider family include;
  • A spectre of a young girl that reportedly randomly appears in the home of my sister and seems to be friendly.
  • A mysterious photo taken by a cousin of her young [at the time] daughter. The girl is sitting at a dressing table that has a mirror. There were three people [total] in the room and in the house but a fourth person is seen in the mirror. Yes! I know about double exposures etc but it was the first image from the 35mm roll and the following few images were of the house no [people].
  • Another photo at a wedding that was taken just to show the old church [no people in frame]. I'm sure I put this down to a mixture of environmental issues and lichen on the ancient stone wall. The photo appeared to show an elderly woman that simple was not there.
    • Sadly I cannot get access to the first photo mentioned as it was destroyed deliberately and the second was on a long ago wiped data card. I know 'that's convenient' - it is what it is though.
Outside family there are many stories from around town, most of which could be classed as 'urban legends' including;
  • Two men, both ex police officers, driving down a country lane just outside of town. They reported a 'figure' - some versions of the tale say ghostly - running in fields parallel to the vehicle and matching its speed. This one is supposedly backed up with testimony 'under oath' from the passenger. [Edit: Forgot to add; the figure was said to be 'human like' but very tall and hairy and unclothed].
  • The reporting of a ghostly young woman 'in white' who leads two ghostly horses in a different lane on the outskirts of town. All are full body apparitions with no grisly missing parts!
    • Long story shortened! I was once riding a bicycle on that very lane probably sixteen years ago. I got so far along and nearly fell off as the bike came to a sudden grinding halt. After checking for mechanical faults and finding non I started back on the bike. Again; a sudden halt with no braking and no apparent fault. The same happened four or five times until I gave up, turned around and headed home with no further issue. I suppose you can guess what happened next. On arriving home I was told that family were trying to phone me [old brick mobile phone – did not have it with me] as there had been a terrible multi vehicle road traffic incident on that very road around ten minutes before I got home. It took me less than that to get home! Coincidences happen.
  • A ghostly monk that tends the graves in a large [ish] cemetery adjacent to a nearby village. Yeah! That old chestnut!
  • As with many towns we have a path that runs the route of a long since pulled up railway route [goods]. Two stories are associated with the path as far as I know;
    • The classic sighting of a former ‘linesman’ with glowing lamp who walks his old route checking the line.
    • Not so much reported these days but long ago, when the path was a ‘cinder path’ rather than properly paved there were many reports of a crying baby at a very specific point on the path in the dead of night [not near enough to housing to be a baby safely at home]. It has been said that many searches for a baby in distress along the line were fruitless.
That’s all I have for now. The family tales are very much based on truth [including my cycle journey]. The others are based on long standing stories from around town. Maybe there is some truth in them. Maybe they are based on urban legends. Either way I have not simply made them up. Those stories, and others, have been told around town and within my family and social circle for many years. Believe them – or not. Ya pays ya money and takes ya chance!

Thanks for reading. If by any slim chance anyone reading recognizes the actual town or, indeed, me from these stories I would appreciate anonymity!

Kindest regards to all.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I know you'll understand when I just give a general area as being specific is an online no no. The houses are all in the North of England.

I really could write a book if I put my mind to it!

Other stories in my immediate and wider family include;
  • A spectre of a young girl that reportedly randomly appears in the home of my sister and seems to be friendly.
  • A mysterious photo taken by a cousin of her young [at the time] daughter. The girl is sitting at a dressing table that has a mirror. There were three people [total] in the room and in the house but a fourth person is seen in the mirror. Yes! I know about double exposures etc but it was the first image from the 35mm roll and the following few images were of the house no [people].
  • Another photo at a wedding that was taken just to show the old church [no people in frame]. I'm sure I put this down to a mixture of environmental issues and lichen on the ancient stone wall. The photo appeared to show an elderly woman that simple was not there.
    • Sadly I cannot get access to the first photo mentioned as it was destroyed deliberately and the second was on a long ago wiped data card. I know 'that's convenient' - it is what it is though.
Outside family there are many stories from around town, most of which could be classed as 'urban legends' including;
  • Two men, both ex police officers, driving down a country lane just outside of town. They reported a 'figure' - some versions of the tale say ghostly - running in fields parallel to the vehicle and matching its speed. This one is supposedly backed up with testimony 'under oath' from the passenger. [Edit: Forgot to add; the figure was said to be 'human like' but very tall and hairy and unclothed].
  • The reporting of a ghostly young woman 'in white' who leads two ghostly horses in a different lane on the outskirts of town. All are full body apparitions with no grisly missing parts!
    • Long story shortened! I was once riding a bicycle on that very lane probably sixteen years ago. I got so far along and nearly fell off as the bike came to a sudden grinding halt. After checking for mechanical faults and finding non I started back on the bike. Again; a sudden halt with no braking and no apparent fault. The same happened four or five times until I gave up, turned around and headed home with no further issue. I suppose you can guess what happened next. On arriving home I was told that family were trying to phone me [old brick mobile phone – did not have it with me] as there had been a terrible multi vehicle road traffic incident on that very road around ten minutes before I got home. It took me less than that to get home! Coincidences happen.
  • A ghostly monk that tends the graves in a large [ish] cemetery adjacent to a nearby village. Yeah! That old chestnut!
  • As with many towns we have a path that runs the route of a long since pulled up railway route [goods]. Two stories are associated with the path as far as I know;
    • The classic sighting of a former ‘linesman’ with glowing lamp who walks his old route checking the line.
    • Not so much reported these days but long ago, when the path was a ‘cinder path’ rather than properly paved there were many reports of a crying baby at a very specific point on the path in the dead of night [not near enough to housing to be a baby safely at home]. It has been said that many searches for a baby in distress along the line were fruitless.
That’s all I have for now. The family tales are very much based on truth [including my cycle journey]. The others are based on long standing stories from around town. Maybe there is some truth in them. Maybe they are based on urban legends. Either way I have not simply made them up. Those stories, and others, have been told around town and within my family and social circle for many years. Believe them – or not. Ya pays ya money and takes ya chance!

Thanks for reading. If by any slim chance anyone reading recognizes the actual town or, indeed, me from these stories I would appreciate anonymity!

Kindest regards to all.
Thanks for posting :)

There are so many reports of human-like creatures running alongside a car at sometimes almost impossible speed from both the UK and US, it is a recurrent theme. There is a Dartmoor example in one of the Peter Underwood books. It must mean something but what...?

Last edited:
This is my first post here, and I wasn't sure where else to put this. Have I seen a ghost, not that I'm aware of BUT I have felt something odd. I was fishing along a stretch of the Oxford Canal, just outside of Brinklow. It's bordered by a strip of woodland that leads onto a single track road with dense woodland on the other side of the road. I was up there on a summer evening, and having a good time listening to the birds etc. All of a sudden everything seemed to just stop the birds seem to go quiet very suddenly. The air seemed to get "heavy" I could feel something watching me, I turned round expecting to see someone sneaking up on me for some reason. The next thing I know it was like a switch had been flicked the birds started singing again the "heaviness" in the air lifted and everything returned to normal. Needless to say I avoid that area now.

This is my first post here, and I wasn't sure where else to put this. Have I seen a ghost, not that I'm aware of BUT I have felt something odd. I was fishing along a stretch of the Oxford Canal, just outside of Brinklow. It's bordered by a strip of woodland that leads onto a single track road with dense woodland on the other side of the road. I was up there on a summer evening, and having a good time listening to the birds etc. All of a sudden everything seemed to just stop the birds seem to go quiet very suddenly. The air seemed to get "heavy" I could feel something watching me, I turned round expecting to see someone sneaking up on me for some reason. The next thing I know it was like a switch had been flicked the birds started singing again the "heaviness" in the air lifted and everything returned to normal. Needless to say I avoid that area now.
Thanks for posting, there are so many people who have described this very same change of 'atmosphere' and a feeling of being watched and that also involves birds becoming silent when out in the countryside

I had an image of the birds in the trees saying "Hey, lets all just stop singing and see if we can scare the shit outta them" said with a maniacal laugh, by the bird, not me.

Sounds like a perfect example of what they call the Oz Factor. It doesn't need to feature a ghost or UFO, though sometimes does, but mostly it's a feeling of time standing still, a sense of the uncanny you can't put your finger on. I wouldn't say it's common, but it does happen and probably isn't anything to worry about.

Is it down the back of the sofa?, cause you've been looking for it for like foooooooorever :D

Just remembered this, but not sure if it counts as seen.

Sometime around the late 1980s I worked in a basement of one of our libraries. My work was with stock and one Saturday I was the only one in the basement. The library above was busy and staffed. I came in and went into my office which had an external window (looking on to a brick wall) and the opposite “wall” had the door in it and was otherwise mainly frosted glass. Outside and against this wall were some open backed shelves which generally had a selection of new books “on approval”. These were there for library staff to assess and decide whether they wanted to put them in their libraries’ stock.

Most calculations on budgets were still done via calculator and I was head down using the quiet Saturday to work out budgets, commitments and expenditure. I was aware of someone outside looking at the new stock and assumed that the Librarian from the branch upstairs (call him John) was looking at the stock on the shelves outside. I finished the calculations, about ten minutes, and thought I’d better say hello to John, but he was gone. Not unusual as Saturdays were busy and it was quite normal for him to be called upstairs for something.

At lunchtime, John appeared and I apologised for not saying hello before as I had noticed him outside but was halfway through budget calculations. He looked confused and said he hadn’t been down. Well whoever came down I said. No, no one had come down, a member of staff had had an emergency dental appointment and had just come in meaning they had been very short staffed. Now she had come in John had time to come and look at the stock.

I thought nothing of it but John was quite upset, he didn’t stay long and kept asking if I was OK down in the basement.
He must have mentioned it to some of the other “basement” staff as one of them told me that the old Chief Librarian who sadly had died a few years before often used to come down on a Saturday to look at the stock and chat with whoever was in on the Saturday; he’d often pick coffee time as well, which was about when I “saw” someone outside.

I didn’t know the old chief that well but had met him a number of times. He was a nice guy, his claim to fame being that as the then new Director bought his dog to work he’d “trained” it to fetch papers from his master’s waste bin during meetings. He’d bring the papers back and go through them often finding details of lunatic schemes which he’d share with library staff!
I could find no other explanation for “seeing” someone outside and no one had been down before John’s visit. There was no feeling of, cold, unease or anything else. If it was the chief I hope he enjoyed his visit.

Sometime around the late 1980s I worked in a basement of one of our libraries. My work was with stock and one Saturday I was the only one in the basement. The library above was busy and staffed. I came in and went into my office which had an external window (looking on to a brick wall) and the opposite “wall” had the door in it and was otherwise mainly frosted glass. Outside and against this wall were some open backed shelves which generally had a selection of new books “on approval”. These were there for library staff to assess and decide whether they wanted to put them in their libraries’ stock.

Most calculations on budgets were still done via calculator and I was head down using the quiet Saturday to work out budgets, commitments and expenditure. I was aware of someone outside looking at the new stock and assumed that the Librarian from the branch upstairs (call him John) was looking at the stock on the shelves outside. I finished the calculations, about ten minutes, and thought I’d better say hello to John, but he was gone. Not unusual as Saturdays were busy and it was quite normal for him to be called upstairs for something.

At lunchtime, John appeared and I apologised for not saying hello before as I had noticed him outside but was halfway through budget calculations. He looked confused and said he hadn’t been down. Well whoever came down I said. No, no one had come down, a member of staff had had an emergency dental appointment and had just come in meaning they had been very short staffed. Now she had come in John had time to come and look at the stock.

I thought nothing of it but John was quite upset, he didn’t stay long and kept asking if I was OK down in the basement.
He must have mentioned it to some of the other “basement” staff as one of them told me that the old Chief Librarian who sadly had died a few years before often used to come down on a Saturday to look at the stock and chat with whoever was in on the Saturday; he’d often pick coffee time as well, which was about when I “saw” someone outside.

I didn’t know the old chief that well but had met him a number of times. He was a nice guy, his claim to fame being that as the then new Director bought his dog to work he’d “trained” it to fetch papers from his master’s waste bin during meetings. He’d bring the papers back and go through them often finding details of lunatic schemes which he’d share with library staff!
I could find no other explanation for “seeing” someone outside and no one had been down before John’s visit. There was no feeling of, cold, unease or anything else. If it was the chief I hope he enjoyed his visit.
Definitely counts! Thanks for sharing.

That's one of those you where you think Damn, it was a ghost and I didn't know! :)

Yes! I had absolutely no idea. Afterwards I could think of no "mundane" explanation. Can't help but wonder what would have happened had I got up and gone outside.
Going by the many, many ghost encounters that I have read, as well as some personal experience, there would have been no-one there.

Last edited:
I’ve never actually seen a ghost but once, many years ago, I was definitely in the presence of ‘something’.

During the winter of 2002/03 I was temporarily staying at the home of an aunt and uncle in west London.

One evening there was a football game on TV I was keen to see (my team, Celtic, were playing in the UEFA Cup) but the TV in my room was on the blink so I went to an upstairs room to watch the match. Not long into the game, a business card which had been on a coffee table spun down past the side of my head. I say spun as it didn’t fall in the way a piece of dropped card normally would, i.e. in a random way - instead the card rotated very rapidly on its long axis, long side over side as opposed to short end over end, if you see what I mean.

For some reason I wasn’t freaked out by this and watched the game to the end. It was only some time later I learned my sister always felt there was something strange about that room, she seems to be more sensitive to these things than I am. I’ve also come to believe that whatever caused this was quite a friendly, even slightly mischievous, presence - as if it was saying “Hello, I’m still here!”.

Up until then I’d always been a bit of a sceptic (albeit always open to proof) on the subject of ghosts but after that experience I became a believer.

That’s all there is to report, folks, but I always felt a bit wary going into that room afterwards.

B17.

The naked embracing ghost is from a book called Ghosts Over Britain by Peter Moss. Basically Moss invited people from all over the UK to write to him with their true ghost stories.

I've no idea how reliable the accounts are, but it makes for interesting reading.
The story also appears in a Peter Underwood book called “ghosts of Britain” (I think – I’ll check when I get home later) and happened to the vicar of Langenhoe Church near Colchester. The vicar was in his bedroom in the rectory looking out of over the Essex fields, when he heard a woman’s voice say “you are a cruel man”, and as he turned a naked woman embraced him for a few seconds.

The church was also considerably haunted as well apparently. It was badly damaged in the great Colchester earthquake of 1884, closed to worship in 1955, then demolished in 1963 as deemed unsafe.

After being first married, my wife claims she was visited by a child ghost in our first apartment.

This made her unsettled and investigated for possible apartment being on a burial ground, or the land was part of the American Civil War Battleground field.

My wife found no reason for the child ghost who never made a return visit.

After being first married, my wife claims she was visited by a child ghost in our first apartment.

This made her unsettled and investigated for possible apartment being on a burial ground, or the land was part of the American Civil War Battleground field.

My wife found no reason for the child ghost who never made a return visit.
Did your wife become pregnant soon after, if you don't mind me asking?

Well Ronnie Jersey,

My wife and I struggled to have our two daughters, and because of that they are 6 years apart.

We never sought out medical help, we just figured what will be will be.

After the story my wife told me of the child ghost, our first daughter was born two years later.

My wife claimed the ghost child was about 8 or 9 years old and dressed normally for the early 1970s.

This was in the daytime while I was at work, and the ghost child never talked and looked like she was looking for something.

My wife approached gently but the ghost child faded.

This whole affair lasted about 7 seconds.

Did this child live in this apartment before us ?

I can't say I've had an absolutely convincing sighting of a ghost, but I've had one auditory experience that makes me think it might have been paranormal, although very odd for a ghost.

A few years ago I was president of our local historical society. We held monthly evening meetings in an old court house building. By the time the meeting was over it was quite dark, and the building has an undeniable "uncomfortable" feeling in the dark.

After one meeting it was my job to shepherd everyone out and then check the building, turn out the lights, and lock up.

As I stood at the door by the light switch I glanced around the interior, then switched out the lights.

The instant the lights went out, i heard a woman's voice from the interior of the building calling out my first name in a very angry tone of voice, as if she was implying "Don't switch the lights out while I'm still here!"

I called out "Sorry!" and switched the lights back on. Did another search of the building to find out who I had inadvertently plunged into darkness. Of course it was empty.

I was biting my lip as I psyched myself up to switch the lights out a second time, but there was no repeat of the voice.

Now I know ghosts don't usually address you by name, but this was one experience that is hard to explain.

Well Ronnie Jersey,

My wife and I struggled to have our two daughters, and because of that they are 6 years apart.

We never sought out medical help, we just figured what will be will be.

After the story my wife told me of the child ghost, our first daughter was born two years later.

My wife claimed the ghost child was about 8 or 9 years old and dressed normally for the early 1970s.

This was in the daytime while I was at work, and the ghost child never talked and looked like she was looking for something.

My wife approached gently but the ghost child faded.

This whole affair lasted about 7 seconds.

Did this child live in this apartment before us ?
I was wondering if this 'ghost child' was appearing to your wife, as your future child.
I've seen that before, sometimes they are waiting to be born to you.
Just a thought.

I can't say I've had an absolutely convincing sighting of a ghost, but I've had one auditory experience that makes me think it might have been paranormal, although very odd for a ghost.

A few years ago I was president of our local historical society. We held monthly evening meetings in an old court house building. By the time the meeting was over it was quite dark, and the building has an undeniable "uncomfortable" feeling in the dark.

After one meeting it was my job to shepherd everyone out and then check the building, turn out the lights, and lock up.

As I stood at the door by the light switch I glanced around the interior, then switched out the lights.

The instant the lights went out, i heard a woman's voice from the interior of the building calling out my first name in a very angry tone of voice, as if she was implying "Don't switch the lights out while I'm still here!"

I called out "Sorry!" and switched the lights back on. Did another search of the building to find out who I had inadvertently plunged into darkness. Of course it was empty.

I was biting my lip as I psyched myself up to switch the lights out a second time, but there was no repeat of the voice.

Now I know ghosts don't usually address you by name, but this was one experience that is hard to explain.
Someone I used to go to a ufo group meeting with years ago, told me of one occasion when she was driving along a local road, and watched a man step off the pavement - cross the road - and walk right through a brick wall!
When later she returned to the same spot, she said that she found that at one time, there was a doorway in the wall and the brickwork outlined the evidence of it being in precisely the same spot in the wall!

Last edited:
Well Ronnie Jersey,

You could be right as my wife was under stress from job changes, female problems, and her family problems.

The stress could have made her hallucinate.

She is always been a “ straight shooter “ so I never doubt her, but I was not in the apartment.

Some further new entries on the excellent UK Paranormal Database, with this one from just last month being the pick:

Location: Stockbridge (Hampshire) - Unidentified road in village
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 15 January 2023, approx 20:40h
Further Comments: Sitting in their car, a witness watched an old man in a trilby carrying an umbrella (or cane) cross the road ahead then just seemingly disappeared into thin air.

Also from last year:

"Location: Eckington (Derbyshire) - Moss valley, between town and Ridgeway
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 24 August 2002 (rider), 16 May 2022 (grey lady)
Further Comments: Two women out walking their dogs watched a white female figure on horseback in the woods. The entity vanished as it rounded a non-existent corner. A local piece of folklore says the area is haunted by a white horse, although traditionally riderless. In 2022, witnesses spotted a hooded grey lady carrying a basket who disappeared into bushes"

These and more at:

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/recent/index.php

So I will give some examples of the many different 'ghost' related events that have happened in my family. Believe the examples or not. Come up with explanations or take what I write at face value or, maybe, with a pinch of salt - it's your pick!
Well said. That's how I present my own experiences; I'm telling the truth but it's so weird I wouldn't blame anyone for disbelieving me.

Fantastic accounts there. As these things happened in different places, do you think your family attract the spookiness and carry it around with them?

Last edited:
Back