• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Yikes, a real Xmas ghost!

In a care home where I work sometimes, a lady called Vi died. A carer tidied the room after the undertakers, put out the lights and closed the door. She turned her back for a moment and when she looked back, the lights were on and the door open, just as Vi liked them!

Exit carer, screaming, Xmas ruined!

Wish I'd been there.

Last edited:
In a nursing home where I was working, after a resident died & we laid her out. We shut the door of the room & stood outside on the landing, in the very low night time lighting, having a cup of tea.

As we talked, my two colleges claimed to see a light come through the bedroom door, go down the stairs & out of the front door!!!!

I saw nothing, though from the way the two people acted, startled at the time, later almost in a state of shock, I'm certain that they belived that they were seeing something, rather than it being an attempt to wind me up.

Not that they were in the habit of playing pranks in the first place & we were all level headed, quite used to walking round the place in the dark!!!!!

my only sighting...

I have a terifighing haunted house story but alas there was no plain sighting involved.

However I can relate the following: One night when I was about 17 I was out walking the dog at the ungodly hour of about 2:30 am (I couldn't sleep) and as I passed a particularly deserted spot of the road (I was walking into the nearest town to make use of the 24 hour shop located there) I saw someone standing looking, for want of a better term, weird.

The dog seemed to see the person about the same time as me and sudenly showed that animals are far more intelegent than humans by refusing to budge and hiding behind me.

As I looked again I recognised the person. It was a boy from my year in school who had moved to Manchester about a year before. As soon as I figured this out he turned to look at me and I turned tail and ran. Well wouldn't you?

It was a boy from my year in school who had moved to Manchester about a year before

Is "moving to manchester" Glasgow slang for dying?

moving to manchester

sorry, I made a bit of a mess of my origional post.

What I ment was that this the boy in question had moved away and as such could not have been standing on the road between Airdrie and Chapelhall.

He was a strange little tyke. He always stank of shite and used to bite his lip untill it bled and then wipe it on his assignment. I was the only person that didn't pick on him I'm the only person who has seen him since he left Scotland even if it was as a ghostly presence of some sort.

(or meby not, who knows eh?)

On the subject of living people being mistaken for ghosts.

I can remember, a few years ago, an old lady, telling me about a ghostly hearse she had seen in the 1950's.

At first, I was thinking of the horse drawn variety, black horses with plumes etc...

What she discribed was the old four wheeled cart, with two men pulling it along, by a T-bar at the front. Then she described the men, one tall one short, pulling it up the green lane in the morning mist, as wearing white baggy suits with net veils!!!!!!!

The trouble is, my old dad kept bees along that lane, with a mate of his & moved hives on a trolly based on four cycle wheels. It sounded as if he & his mate had been seen & the sighting 'misinterpreted'.

I love to hear about these little - what shall we call them? Misinterpratations. Or to put it another way; everyone wants to see a ghost and will construct one out of two beekeepers wheeling a cart up the road.

My only question is why does noone want to acept rational explanations of what they have saw? I supose the etheral is far more intresting than the material.

( al little smile for this post as it realy does make me smile)

Kind of like with all these 'orbs' pictures floating around...(no pun intended).............

Just had a couple of very unnerving experiences tonight! As anyone who's read the "Tonights the Night" thread might remember, the youth hostel I'm manager of is reputed to have quite a few ghosts. At the moment, the hostel's closed for the winter, so there aren't any other staff there apart from me.

I went in this afternoon to do some paperwork, as I was off sick on Thursday and Friday. Before I knew where I was, the time got to 11.30pm, so I thought I'd call it a day, but went round tidying up first, as I'm away on a training course all next week.

I'd gone down the corridor to one of the rooms to stash some sheets away, and as I opened the door back into the main hall I got a fleeting glimpse of a figure rushing towards me. It was literally there and gone in an instant; too quick for me to make anything detailed out, like clothes or whether it was male or female. All I can say it was a human figure with one arm raised, and it was running across the hall towards me. I did reel back, as I thought he/she was going to collide with me, but as I said, it suddenly wasn't there.

I decided to leave in a hurry, but I had to go upstairs for my laundry and switch all the lights out! :eek!!!!: Managed to do that without running into anything, but, as I was leaving, with the place in pitch-darkness, I said "'Bye, see you on Saturday" (I've got in the habit of saying hello and goodbye to the ghosts, on the basis that they've been there longer than me, and if I'm polite to them, they won't hassle me!)

The instant I said that I felt something like a breath on my right ear, and then a female voice saying "No" mournfully right next to it! That was it and I legged it, slamming the door and driving home as fast as my Nissan Micra can go! I'm sitting here now with a large whisky, trying not to shake. Weird though, that one of the first things I've done since getting home is getting on here and telling you lot about it! Mind you, I've got to tell someone! I'm getting really scared now. Did she say "No" because she doesn't want to be left on her own for another week after the Christmas break, or does she know something I don't?

I've just realised how far fetched all this sounds, but I swear it happened less than an hour ago.

Johnnyboy,
Hope you slept ok after your interesting evening!

Aren't ghosts always so bleedin' ambiguous! 'No' might simply mean 'she' won't be on the late shift next weekend. Mm. All the same, I'd drive more carefully if I were you...

Keep us posted.

Hermes

spiritual shift work

Do ghosts work shifts? I know it takes alot out of people but we can have a sleep if we do the night shift just think what it must be like if your insubstantial.

Scary story though.

As a child I used to see people about that others didn't see, but it didn't bother me, I've only met one really evil force and that was locked into a specific area, so I just didn't go there anymore.
An interesting ghost I met was when I was working in the yard and out of the corner of my eye I saw, what I thought was the postman and called out Good Morning, but he didn't reply. I looked up and saw this man dressed in a long black coat with a slouch hat bent as if walking in the rain. His clothes were of the Royalist period, he looked behind him at a patch of trees and scrubland and then just carried on walking where there was no path and faded. I went into the woodland and dug around because it seemed important to find out where he'd been and I found a very old well. Old maps showed that there had been a path leading to it but it had long gone to make way for a motorway. Cromwellians were billetted in the town laying seige to a royalist town not far away. I've always been curious as to why he was there. A royalist in a cromwellian stronghold, did he put something down that well to pick up later? It was too filled up with rubbish to ever dig out.

The majority of my (fairly limited) paranormal experiences were centered around a old mansion the the French Quarter of New Orleans which had been converted into a recording studio. Apparently, the place was haunted by Germaine, a lady from a wealthy NOLA family. She died in the house from a fall in her alcoholic dotage, and evidently didn't want to leave.

A few days into our first session there, being through for the night, several of us decamped upstairs with a few refreshments to unwind. My friend Ken went into the creepy "pink" bathroom (so named because it was finished completely with pink tile) to relieve himself. As he was standing there, according to him, a face appeared in the window and glared at him. It was as if someone turned a red light on, and the visage was genderless and elongated. It stared at him for several seconds, then switched off. Thinking we were playing a practical joke on him, he turned around and looked in the mirror and called out to us to stop it. When he emerged from the bathroom he looked like, well, he had seen a ghost. Being a little worse for wear, I rushed into the bathroom and demanded the entity show itself. No luck. Now I realize that my actions were at least rude, if not idiotic. Later, when I was pumping him for information in an adjoining room, we heard a sound that resembled windchimes feeding back. When we stuck our heads out the window, or stepped outside the door, the sound ceased. The next day we inspected the other side of the window. It used to look out on an alley, which had been incorporated into the massive, rambling house. It stood about 20 feet off the ground; very difficult to reach.
Everyone present at the session was either in bed or upstairs.

Our drummer, never missing an opportunity to harrass us, immediately cut out and taped a picture of a gorrila face on the window! Later, he crawled under my bed while I slept and shook it until I almost peed myself.

The last day of the session, we were listening back to the "master comp" reel of all the keeper takes. To our amazement, every track of the 24-track tape machine went into record and erased a second or two of a finished song! No one was near the machine. The song had to be recut during mixing. To this day, I have never put those reels up to check for EVPs, but I'm planning on it.

The spook made herself known when I was doing my solo record several years later. With me was Ken and our irascible drummer. A horn take at the top of the enormous staircase was almost interrupted because the trombone player spied Germaine on the veranda, shaking him badly. Later, after a long night of mixing, three of us (including the drummer), heard an enormous commotion in the kitchen--as if someone were throwing iron skillets against the walls with all their might. The third time it happened, we rushed in there to find nothing out of place.

Strangest of all, at a bar one night, our drummer told me he would never kid us about spooks again. He had gone out reveling one night, completely overdid it, and couldn't get out of bed the next day. He even had trouble breathing. According to him, the spook climbed into bed with him! (One of Germaine's daughters, badly burned in a fire in the house, also haunted the place, appearing to a burn unit/bass player asking for help. When the musician informed everyone in the house that this girl needed medical assistance, they told him she was a ghost. Upon hearing, he promptly went upstairs, packed, and left). "Let's just say it was comforting, and kind of sexual," he said. I begged for details, but he clammed up. He told a mutual friend that "at least it was pleasureable." Although this guy is an inveterate practical joker, I could tell by his face he was dead serious.

The mansion was sold a couple years ago, and evidently being converted into apartments. What a shame. I hope Germaine gives 'em hell.

sex with ghosts

I like the story about having a ghost in bed with you. It reminds me of a short story about Don Juan and a similar experence but I can't remember who wrote it. I supose I could look out the book but I don't have it with me at the moment.

sex with spooks

Yes, I like the story, but would NOT want the experience! Apparently, there is a whole world of tales about sexually active spooks; might be nice to hear from other people who've encountered them.

That kind of encounter is most unsettling to contemplate, although I suppose it could be "pleasureable." Brrr.:eek!!!!:

Ghostly theories?

:eek!!!!:

Earlier this week I had dinner with a friend who blithely recounted the following frightening experience. This friend -- we'll call her Sarah -- is a student living in the Home Counties. She is still grieving for her father who died suddenly last year, but is otherwise cheerful and relatively normal, with little interest in the paranormal.

One night in October she was in bed, wearing her eye mask (don't ask) and listening to music on headphones. She'd only been lying down a couple of minutes when she felt something heavy land on the bed. Sitting up, she removed the mask to see a girl, who vaguely resembled Sarah's sisters, sitting on the end of the bed. Presently the girl gave her a "really weird, spooky smile" at which point Sarah screamed for her mother. The girl then slowly "unravelled like an orange peel" from the head down and started to "look a bit like my father" before evaporating completely. Sarah spent the subsequent two months sleeping with the light on.

Does anyone have any theories about what this might have been? Sarah herself isn't totally sold on the idea of ghosts, and although she freely admits to a vivid imagination, this encounter was such a shock that she's at a loss to explain it. Any ideas?

My experience was rather tame. About 5 or 6 years ago, I woke up in the middle of the night/morning, around 2:55 am to make use of the facilities. I open my bedroom door and down the hall way a big 3d blobby light floated through my kitchen. Surprsingly, it didn't scare the hell out of me (I figured I'd be more unnerved), thought to my self "neato", and went and did my bidiness and went back to sleep.

Next night the same thing happened at the exact same time.
The house I lived in was on top of a steep hill, so the only way car headlights could get in was if a car was sitting sideways on the road tilted up at a 45 degree angle or so. Similiarly, no streetlights could shine in or flashlights or anything.

My mom has had a lot more things happen to her: having an orb follow her car for a half mile (or a kilometer if you prefer) before zipping off into a forrest, seeing 3 hooded figures sit down on her bed while she was in it, books and various items flying off the shelf, and a nice cliched "lost ghost" encounter at her work where an older gentlemen informing her that he was there to pick up the children as she was walking to her car late at night (turns out there was a schoolbus accident in that area a long time ago). She isn't really into the paranormal or anything, but strange stuff just happens to her (I guess the paranormal is into her :))

3 hooded figures sit on her bed

I've heard about this happening to people who research occult and magick et.. Usually there is 4 or more hooded figures standing around their bed, does this occur frequently, and what could be a plausible explanation???

Well, the plausible explanation is easy: she might have been dreaming...same as mine for that matter, although I "know" I wasn't (I never totally discount that though due to the nature of the human brain...any encounter anyone has could have been a hallucination or a subconcious trick) . She's sure she wasn't either.

In anycase, that only happened once that I know of, but that house, which I spent the first 19 years of my life, had some bad vibes. Lots of tragedies happened to my family while living there, and that house is where my mom has had the most "sightings".

She also associated a negative feelings with these beings. Since she's had other encounters in that house that left her feeling peaceful, I'd assume that the hooded, robed folk were not benevolent.

She has little interest in the occult that I know of. The closest to that is a friend she used to have who faniced herself a psychic and a medium. She might have dabbled with magik as well but I didn't know her very well. She's been to the house a few times, but only to stop by to chat or for tea or whatever mom-friends stop by for.

Now that I think about it, she has said she felt lots of presences in our house and suggested cleansing methods (burning candles maybe). I think my mom might have tried one but I don't think it worked.

One last word, the house somewhat old, around 100 years or so, who knows what previous tenants have done?

>> Well, the plausible explanation is easy: she might have been dreaming...same as mine for that matter, although I "know" I wasn't (I never totally discount that though due to the nature of the human brain...any encounter anyone has could have been a hallucination or a subconcious trick) . She's sure she wasn't either.

Sarah's convinced she was awake throughout the incident, especially since she was listening to her minidisc player the entire time and there was no break in music continuity between the "thud" on her bed and her mother coming in and comforting her after the apparent apparition had disappeared.

Still might be an hallucination, but weird, no?

BUMP (in the night)

There are enough new members now that we can have lots more stories. First-hand accounts if possible, please.

Any updates from old members/posters?

Re: BUMP (in the night)

Minor Drag said:
There are enough new members now that we can have lots more stories. First-hand accounts if possible, please.

Any updates from old members/posters?

Evidently not!

I once heard the sound of something being dragged along the floor! This occured in an old chapel that was on one of my friends properties and they used it for storing various things like firewood-kind of like a very big garden shed. This building was around 200 years old and contained a kind of balcony that ran around 3 sides-I think they're called a minstrels gallery. Anyway my friend kept telling me this place was haunted so we went ghost hunting in there one night. We were standing on the stage at the far end of the building talking when we both heard a faint noise up in the gallery to the left of us. It sounded like a bang followed by a dragging sound-the image I still have in my head is of a man limping and dragging a wooden leg! Anyway this sound grew louder and louder and moved along the gallery towards the opposite end of the room. It was one of those moments where time seems to stand still and you don't even seem to be breathing!We were frozen to the spot. To the left of the stage on the wall there were some shelves just below the gallery. The top shelf contained some lengths of white plastic drainpipe. We both jumped when one of these drainpipes lifted into the air and dropped back down again-almost as if someone/thing had picked it up and dropped it. We ran like hell!

I later found out while doing some historic research into the town where we lived that at the turn of the 20th Century there was a terrible accident near the chapel. A cart full of local children were on their way to the chapel when the horse pulling their cart panicked at something and the cart was flipped on its side. Several of the children were crushed and their bodies were placed in the chapel!

Well that's my one and only ghostly experience. Perhaps not the most exciting story to read but it scared the c**p out of me:D

its a drag

Years ago I worked in an hotel that was being converted to timeshare apartments. The hotel was very old and Charles Dickens was reputed to have stayed there when the hotel used to be houses. House 12 (not 13) was very haunted, during the war it was locked up and when the caretaker arrived to check the place, the lights were always on. He would turn them off and when he was leaving and half way down the drive they would come on again. A maid was apparently scared witless by seeing a ghost there and there were lots of other stories, no one wanted to go up there in the evening.... the main haunting was of things being dragged along the floor and thumps. Well, house 12 was converted to timeshare and we sold the first weeks to a well know businessman from Cornwall. When he arrived for his week, everyone joked about whether he'd come screaming down the stairs. The night passed without a word, but in the morning the man came down to reception and complained about the noise! "You really shouldn't let people move in so late at night" he said, "there were bumps and cases being dragged around for ages", because the apartment was new, none of the others had been sold, they were all empty, but no one told him that....and to this day, no one has let him know that the place was haunted.........

i haven't so much as seen a ghost as heard one...

it was a long time ago...but heres the story,

when i was 13, my friend and i decided to go on a little picnic. As it was a nice sunny day, so we packed our bags full of junk food and headed of to my local park.

Behind the park there is a big hill that has a small area surrounded by trees...so we wonder in there to see if there was a nice shady spot to sit and there was a old ruin of a house in there (it was originally a stone hut for something, cant remember what, oh yeah we had also brought my dog along with us) so we sit down on one of the walls and all of a sudden we hear...(please dont laugh!)

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY

it kinda sounded like someone was pulling one of those voices u pull when talking to babies but loud.

well me and my friend just look at each other, and we were terrified! there was no way that someone could be hideing behind a tree or a shrub becuase the trees were stick thin and there wasnt any shrubs or anything!

so we run out ontop of the hill, leaving our stuff inside! and we just stared in disbeleif!

and just then it came again a foot away from where i was standing

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!!

an this is what was scarey! my dog went mad! she started jumping up and down on the spot snarling and snaping, like she was trying to attack whatever was standing there...thats what made it clear it wasnt someone hideing because my dog would of ran to them...

so that was me i ran down the hill and begged this man to come back with us so i could get my stuff with my friend! lol the guy just looked at us as if we were mad, and said it was just probally kids...i think the mans wife was even more bemused!!

i never returned back to that place untill a few weeks ago..it took me all most 6 years to get the guts to go back there! lol my friend still refuses to go back...

we named our little ghost the yummy monster...

no one believes me when i tell them the story because it seems so stupid, a ghost going yummy yummy yummy whilst we were just happening to have a picnic...

:D

Well, There's been an ongoing sage of trouble with ghosts with us for the last 1½ years.

But first, I ought to introduce myself.
I'm Australian, but I live in Denmark with my Danish Fiancee.
We have 1, 2 year old boy and another baby on the way.

This is a small part of a ghost story (more of a saga really) that we have personally experienced.

We were staying at my Fiancee's, parents place for the weekend.
Her parents place is a Farm, they live in a rather large spread out farmhouse.
On either side of the house it has 2 Storeys. The room my fiancee and I were sleeping in was my Fiancees old bedroom.

We went to bed fairly early this particular night, (Not unusual with kids)....
Anyway, I woke up suddenly to hearing crying very close to me.
When I opened my eyes, I could see a female figure sitting on our bed with her back against the wall with her head in her hands crying.
I think she was wearing some sort of Shift and she had pale or light brown hair.
Assuming it was my Fiancee crying I called out to her what was wrong...Then I looked my left, and there was my fiancee fast alseep next to me, When I looked back, the Apparition was gone.

At this point I really wanted my Fiancee to wake up, so I shook her and after a few seconds, she blearily woke up asking me what the problem was.
I was pretty concerned about this event and of course a little scared (not that the apparition itself was that scary, just the experience itself).

At this point, I turned on the bedside lamp and we discussed the whole thing and didn't get much more sleep that night.

Anyway, as I said, this is just one part of a series of encounters we had.
Some of them so extreme, we eventually hired some people (sort of like Exorcists, but not priests or anything) to have a look at the house.
The interestintg thing was, they confirmed all the areas where we had experiences and described them to us without us telling them the details of the encounters first.

I'll expand upon this if people are interested.

Isnt there a theory that in most instances ghost encounters arent recognised due to the fact that, because they arent expecting to see anything paranormal they dont. (I think that makes sense.) I think I may have seen a ghost, although I have no way of telling, it might have just been an odd occurence.

Around 10 years a ago, making me 15/16 my sister and I were driving on the road between Walsingham in Norfolk and the site of the Catholic shrine. For those of you not familiar it is a fairly standard country road, hedges etc. Anway, as we were travelling along a man was walking down the road towards us. The strange thing was the way he was dressed, it was similar to the way in which the preacher in the poltogeist movies dressed. Black trousers and jacket, old fashioned dog collar and a wide brimmed black hat. It may not of been a ghost, but it struck us both as odd.

Back