• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Aphantasia (Lack Of Mental Imagery; 'Mind Blindness')

Mrs. Coal is heavily dyslexic and has to arrange her hands in an L and inverted L to work left from right and I'm so used to 'your side' and 'my side' as directions I use them with other people! She really struggles with android o/s as well.

I know we've mentioned dreams on here before, but I'm now wondering if aphantasia also leads to a lack of imagery in dreams? So if one with aphantasia does dream (and my aphantasic ex swore that he NEVER dreamed, and on the one occasion he woke and remembered one he recounted it in great detail because he was amazed that most people had this EVERY NIGHT), then do those dreams lack the related imagery that we are often told about (ie, the house standing in for the self, dreams where the meaning isn't literal)?

Weirdly, I am not dyslexic, even slightly. I have ADD and possibly dyspraxia - and I think it's the dyspraxia which causes the 'reversing' effect. It doesn't affect me generally in day to day life at all, but I know what you mean about things feeling ;famiiar; when you're allowed your own mental image. I don't reverse things in memory, just in imagination.

The brain is a very strange place.
Catseye - I thought that having a poor grasp of left and right meant that one was dyslexic. Your response inspired me to look it up and I now see that this is now thought of as not dyslexia, but a related condition. So, I have "left-right disorder" as well as letters or numbers occasionally getting replaced with similar ones. Like most dyslexics, I have invented my own work-arounds that work most of the time.

I know we've mentioned dreams on here before, but I'm now wondering if aphantasia also leads to a lack of imagery in dreams? So if one with aphantasia does dream (and my aphantasic ex swore that he NEVER dreamed, and on the one occasion he woke and remembered one he recounted it in great detail because he was amazed that most people had this EVERY NIGHT), then do those dreams lack the related imagery that we are often told about (ie, the house standing in for the self, dreams where the meaning isn't literal)?

I have aphantasia and I dream quite vividly, almost as if my mind is compensating somehow!

I will say though, and I've never thought about it before, that my dreams are quite literal, even though they're fantastic, and contain unreal scenarios, alien planets, vampires ect. I've had a few dream dictionaries over the years and have never found an interpretation of the imagery in my dreams that seemed to relate to me at all.

I have aphantasia and I dream quite vividly, almost as if my mind is compensating somehow!

I will say though, and I've never thought about it before, that my dreams are quite literal, even though they're fantastic, and contain unreal scenarios, alien planets, vampires ect. I've had a few dream dictionaries over the years and have never found an interpretation of the imagery in my dreams that seemed to relate to me at all.
That's exactly what I was wondering, Flutter, and you've answered my question admirably!

Catseye - I thought that having a poor grasp of left and right meant that one was dyslexic. Your response inspired me to look it up and I now see that this is now thought of as not dyslexia, but a related condition. So, I have "left-right disorder" as well as letters or numbers occasionally getting replaced with similar ones. Like most dyslexics, I have invented my own work-arounds that work most of the time.
I think poor grasp of left and right is probably more linked to dyspraxia, which I may or may not have. Do you also have trouble telling the time? I struggle hugely with any clocks that don't have large faces with big numbers printed on the. Although I am also rubbish with numbers in any format, so it might be more down to that.

I think poor grasp of left and right is probably more linked to dyspraxia, which I may or may not have. Do you also have trouble telling the time? I struggle hugely with any clocks that don't have large faces with big numbers printed on the. Although I am also rubbish with numbers in any format, so it might be more down to that.

No. I suspect that all of us have a variety of symptoms, and that each of our clusters is different, and come up with different degrees of severity, at different times, and with different triggers. Not being able to easily tell time is a challenge, and from your postings here on FMB, I suspect that you have invented good workarounds for all this.

So, my main problems are left-right, and transposing numbers. For example, if I read or hear 1607, I will sometimes but not always write this or speak this as 1407, 1617, or 1670, or... I also am physically clumsy, so regularly run into furniture or bang my hands on solid objects; but I view this as more being impatient. I can tell time correctly with either digital or analogue clocks. I only rarely transpose entire words: blood work becomes work blood. :)

Emotional stress, tiredness, or hunger will make this worse, which I interpret as evidence that this is a combination of flaws of both brain structure and biochemistry. Genetics likely are a factor, as my father had most but not all of this stuff, and some other symptoms as well. He could read or hear "chimney" but neither say nor spell it correctly: "chimmeny," "chimbly," or "chimbeny." The combination of the letters mn he found impossible. He barely made it through high school (ages 14-18).

I view my problems as very mild disabilities, and rooted in some sort of brain misfunction. They hamper my ability to function; but to a very minor extent. Once I realized this was going on, as a child, I invented my own workarounds, which have sufficed over my life. In my former working life, I had to be very careful with both numbers and mathematical formulas. I would review my work several times, and arranged for someone else to review it looking for my specific types of mistakes.

In my Ph.D. program, I ran into fellow students who had been diagnosed with some variant of dyslexia, and decided to view themselves as differently-abled instead of disabled, and then tried to force the university into large - not reasonable IMO - accommodations: no time limits on timed tests, no written dissertations for a Ph.D., etc. Some were quite vocal and self-virtuous about it. I knew a few very well, and these friends did not want to invent and use work-arounds; they wanted the world to accommodate them, and lower standards to do so. Ironically, they were all from California and graduates of the California school system! In the US, the California school system is viewed by many as too focused on a primary goal of ensuring every student's self-image is positive, and not actually on education: learning stuff.

I'm very fortunate in that I don't have any impairment with words, just numbers. Cannot, for the life of me do anything involving numbers! I'd reduce maths teachers to tears, they would carefully explain how to work something out, I'd seem to 'get it', do a page full correctly, then the following day be back to not understanding again. It was as if anything involving maths just didn't 'stick' to my brain. I assume this is part of my inability to tell the time!

But words behave for me, fortunately.

Newly published research indicates aphantasia has a substantial impact on one's ability to recall the past in detail and to generate predictive scenarios of future events.
Aphantasia Makes It Harder to Visualize Your Past And Future, Study Shows

A rare condition that makes people unable to visualize images in their imagination could have further-reaching effects on the mind than we knew, scientists report. ...

Those studies are telling us more about how aphantasia manifests in people, while also revealing new insights into how important mental imagery is as a component of other brain functions, such as memory.

In 2020, a team of researchers led by cognitive neuroscientist Alexei Dawes from the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in Australia found that people with aphantasia showed a reduced ability to remember the past and envision the future, in addition to recalling fewer dreams (and often with less detail).

Now, in a new study, some of the same scientists have discovered new evidence of aphantasia's impact on our memory and imaginations of the future. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/aphant...visualize-the-future-and-the-past-study-shows

Here are the bibliographic details and abstract for the published research report.

Alexei J. Dawes, Rebecca Keogh, Sarah Robuck, Joel Pearson,
Memories with a blind mind: Remembering the past and imagining the future with aphantasia,
Cognition, Volume 227, 2022, 105192, ISSN 0010-0277.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cognition.2022.105192.

Abstract
Our capacity to re-experience the past and simulate the future is thought to depend heavily on visual imagery, which allows us to construct complex sensory representations in the absence of sensory stimulation. There are large individual differences in visual imagery ability, but their impact on autobiographical memory and future prospection remains poorly understood. Research in this field assumes the normative use of visual imagery as a cognitive tool to simulate the past and future, however some individuals lack the ability to visualise altogether (a condition termed “aphantasia”). Aphantasia represents a rare and naturally occurring knock-out model for examining the role of visual imagery in episodic memory recall. Here, we assessed individuals with aphantasia on an adapted form of the Autobiographical Interview, a behavioural measure of the specificity and richness of episodic details underpinning the memory of events. Aphantasic participants generated significantly fewer episodic details than controls for both past and future events. This effect was most pronounced for novel future events, driven by selective reductions in visual detail retrieval, accompanied by comparatively reduced ratings of the phenomenological richness of simulated events, and paralleled by quantitative linguistic markers of reduced perceptual language use in aphantasic participants compared to those with visual imagery. Our findings represent the first systematic evidence (using combined objective and subjective data streams) that aphantasia is associated with a diminished ability to re-experience the past and simulate the future, indicating that visual imagery is an important cognitive tool for the dynamic retrieval and recombination of episodic details during mental simulation.

SOURCE: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0010027722001809

Back