• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Apropos The 'Spirals Underground' Story

jkarlson

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
About below story at FT on spirals on walls of a buried building in Sardinia...the same spiral seems to appear also in Alaska.

Story showing a spiral symbol in Alaska:
http://www.capitalcityweekly.com/storie ... 3635.shtml

---------------------------------------

The FT Article:
forteantimes.com/strangedays ... round.html
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/2014120...ays/archaeology/3748/spirals_underground.html

Spirals Underground
Sardinia's chequered tomb, and the attempts by those in authority to keep it a secret
By Paul Devereux
June 2010

STORY TEXT:
Diego and Paola Meozzi, the Italian archæology journalists who produce the admirable Stone Pages website, have alerted the outside world to an amazing discovery on the Italian island of Sardinia. It involves a Neolithic site now referred to as tomba della scacchiera (“the chequered tomb”), near Bonorva. Diego and Paola met a local man, Antonello Porcu, who told them about the site. In 2007, the Bonorva municipality initiated an archæological survey of the area, where there is a known prehistoric necropolis. This led to an excavation programme in 2008. Despite the lead archæologist saying that they hadn’t yet found anything of interest, Porcu noticed that for several consecutive days workers coming down from the excavation area were covered by rock powder. He queried them in Sardinian (not the same as Italian) and they hinted that something remarkable had been uncovered up in the hills. Their curiosity tweaked, Porcu and his brother went up there. They were staggered by what they found.

Peering beneath a groundsheet placed there by the excavators, the Porcu brothers discovered an entrance passage with a rock-cut façade leading into a large tomb with three side cells. The tomb interior has huge bull horns carved on the long side of the main chamber, whose stone roof is carved in a way reminiscent of timber planks and is painted in dark blue and white. But most striking of all is a series of seven bright red ochre spirals, each up to 70cm across, painted on a side cell; they were executed with skillful bravura. On the roof of a side cell there is also a geometric figure very rarely found in a Sardinian tomb – a black and white chequered motif. The best guess so far is that the monument dates to the so-called Ozieri culture (3800 to 2900 BC).

Stirred by this find, Antonello Porcu informed the mayor of Bonorva. The man was astonished, saying he had not been informed about it by anyone connected with the survey. Fortunately for us, Porcu had the presence of mind to take photographs of the tomb’s interior, because a few months later official representatives of the Soprintendenza Archeological for Nuoro and Sassari (the local branch of the Italian Ministry for Heritage) put a massive block of rock in front of the only entrance of the tomb, filling everything with concrete and covering the whole area with a thick layer of soil, sealing the tomb once again. This was done in order “to protect the tomb against looters”.

The local Sardinian archæological authorities are driven by the desire to protect the site and do not want word spread about it, but Diego and Paola Meozzi disagree. “Our heritage is a national treasure and must be shared: protection is one thing, but hiding an ancient site indefinitely – even if motivated by preservation principles – is something else,” Diego comments. “We wonder just how many remarkable monuments have been found, studied and sealed once again over the years by the archæologists in Sardinia with only a few authorized persons aware of them.” He asks that people around the world send messages to the Soprintendente Archeologico for Sassari and Nuoro (Dr. Bruno Massabò – e-mail address: [email protected]), urging a re-think of the closure policy. So go to it, dear readers. Stone Pages, 21 April 2010.

A concluding observation (remember you read it here first): if we look at the picture here of one panel of the tomb’s paintings, showing spirals either side of a thick vertical line, it calls to mind the arrangement of motifs on the entrance stone to the Neolithic passage grave of Newgrange in Ireland – see the picture of that here also and compare. (Indeed, the motif of spirals either side of a vertical line recur on other nearby Boyne Valley monuments too.) One archæological researcher has already noted that the tomba della scacchiera spirals are more reminiscent of rock art motifs in Atlantic coastal Europe than, say, the painted spirals inside the Hal Saflieni hypogeum on Malta. This could all have implications as to who came from where in prehistory –what more might Sardinia’s other hidden secrets be able to tell us? (Archæologist George Nash, one of this columnist’s editorial colleagues at Time and Mind, is becoming actively engaged in trying to encourage a different heritage approach by Sardinian archæological authorities. See Time and Mind for updates in due course.)

Last edited by a moderator:
And Australia.
DSC01553.JPG

There's a very interesting artwork (modern, not archaic) in Italy. A reclusive artist carved all of the stones on his property into heads and faces with some spiral forms. Can't just remember his name now. He did the carvings in the middle of last century after returning from the USA. Ring any bells?

Found it - Filippo Bentivegna. A most interesting character with an equally interesting life story.The place is called Il Castello Incantato.
No English wiki as yet, but there is one in Italian: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filippo_Bentivegna
Alas, no spirals, but I thought there were some designs in other sites I looked at. I discovered this artwork through the BBC travel game - random images from Google earth.

This is an excellent site - Atlas Obscura, featuring Unusual Italy.
http://www.atlasobscura.com/destinations/italy?page=1

The Alaskan Spiral, it looks too "clean"...hardly any marine growth of any kind.

So they are not the same as labyrinth motifs that appear around the world also then? I guess you can't get out of a spiral.

Found it - Filippo Bentivegna. A most interesting character with an equally interesting life story.The place is called Il Castello Incantato.

Found this so intriguing I've gone and bought a magazine because it has an article in - damn you Skinny you enabler of the first order! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting Alaskan find thanks!
I happened to be watching a programme last night on sounds that have been found to produce certain return vibrations at 110 Hertz in some ancient structures, and it's been bugging me a bit since then, that it might be linked to the tri-spirals depictions that are shown carved into some stone structures like Newgrange: so I came across this clip on it.
Newgrange.jpg
Since then. I've been wondering if this 110 hertz frequency might be represented by the tri-spirals,
th.jpg
in that - maybe two frequencies played together might produce the third attached (frequency) sound spiral?
Long shot I know, but I thought it might just be worth throwing it out there.

I happened to be watching a programme last night on sounds that have been found to produce certain return vibrations at 110 Hertz in some ancient structures, and it's been bugging me a bit since then, that it might be linked to the tri-spirals depictions that are shown carved into some stone structures like Newgrange: so I came across this clip on it.
View attachment 43800
Since then. I've been wondering if this 110 hertz frequency might be represented by the tri-spirals,
View attachment 43801
in that - maybe two frequencies played together might produce the third attached (frequency) sound spiral?
Long shot I know, but I thought it might just be worth throwing it out there.
Two simultaneous frequencies will react with each other & produce overtones/harmonics but I don’t know of a way they’d form spirals. I suppose at a pinch they could be artistically depicted as such..

Spirals are a common motif in stone carving and wall-art. Some people I've talked to think these patterns are the result of deep-seated psychological processes in the human eye-brain-mind system, called entoptic phenomena.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entoptic_phenomena_(archaeology)

I wonder if there is a simpler explanation - if you draw a pattern in sand with your finger, one of the easiest patterns to draw is a spiral, one finger-width thick. This pattern could easily be transferred into rock art.

I remember, vaguely that is, that the spirals on the majority of megalithic constructions are to do with a specific star or planet, and indicate it's gyre in relation to us on this Planet, and it's progression in the heavenly vault, over a length of time.

Spirals are a common motif in stone carving and wall-art. Some people I've talked to think these patterns are the result of deep-seated psychological processes in the human eye-brain-mind system, called entoptic phenomena.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entoptic_phenomena_(archaeology)

I wonder if there is a simpler explanation - if you draw a pattern in sand with your finger, one of the easiest patterns to draw is a spiral, one finger-width thick. This pattern could easily be transferred into rock art.
How about ~ a single drop of water dripping into a calm container of water i.e. a tree stump hollow forming a small collection of water, or dropping into pond or some kind of a water holding vessel?
One single drip can emit that all-familiar sound, ("plop!") and might well have brought about the concept of the spirals - via the added causation of the ripples a single drop can bring about, a way to pass on knowledge of certain physically produced strange sounds that have an effect on the human brain and gain knowledge, etc?

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused by this reference. The magnifying glass bit refers to the "Solar Burns" series of artworks by Charles Ross. Ross' work did track the projection (shadow, etc.) of solar position onto a plane (e.g., a particular spot on the earth's surface). However, as far as I can tell he did this in increments of no more than a day. The result was a series of single-day burns arranged on gallery walls.

There is, however, a related work Ross created that pulls together the burns to portray the burns' apparent tracking over the course of a year. It's called Double Spirale, and consists of tiles inlaid in the floor of one of his installation spaces. As far as I can tell Ross used the curvature in the day-wise burns as a guide to assemble this larger work - presumably as a simulacrum of what might have been burned using a larger setup for a whole year.

Here's a photo excerpt illustrating the floor figure in the installation exhibition room at the Chateau d'Oiron in France. The source link leads to the Google Translation of the French webpage.

Is this installation that you were referring to?

Last edited:
Malta's remarkable Hypogeum - a 5,000 year old underground temple, is decorated with spirals, both carved and painted in red ochre.

When I visited a few years ago, we were told strictly no photos and had to leave our phones in a locker, so these photos are open source Internet ones.

I can vouch for having seen these spiral designs myself though and for the Hypogeum's weird acoustic properties - I slightly self-consciously said "Ommmm" whilst in the Oracle room), resulting in some strange echoes and almost palpable vibrations.

The nearby Tarxian temple complex in Valetta is similarly decorated.

art1.JPG

art2.JPG

art3.JPG

art4.JPG

Back