• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Although I periodically clean away the webs I don't mind the spiders as they catch any insects that manage to get in and I don't like spraying.
When I was on Norfolk Island recently I was surprised to see huntsmen there and of course my roommate friend hates them so a few times when she noticed them I had to use the glass and paper and put them outside.
Mind you, they probably crawl back because there are cracks under the door.
Poor thing, she found a small cockroach in her bed, apparently they have a problem with them there.

Such bad luck: Tarantula falls out the sky and lands by feet of woman TERRIFIED of spiders
A WOMAN terrified by spiders suffered rotten luck when a tarantula fell out of the sky and landed right by her feet.
By Peter Henn
PUBLISHED: 22:32, Thu, May 21, 2015 | UPDATED: 22:43, Thu, May 21, 2015

tarantulamain-579100.jpg
STIAN ALEXANDER
Kelly Chitteden came face to face with a Mexican red rump tarantula
I was so flabbergasted
Kelly Chittenden
Kelly Chittenden was walking in her her home town when the giant spider, which has a five-inch leg span, was blown off a windowsill.
Mrs Chittenden, who suffers from arachnophobia, said it was her "worst nightmare come true".
She stood in shock before sprinting across the road to get away from it after the incident in Deal, Kent.
The mother-of-two said the hairy spider - a Mexican red rump tarantula - was 'as big as an orange', adding: "It landed with a thud.
"At first I just thought someone had chucked a bit of rubbish out the window. Then I looked closer and was so shocked.
"I was so flabbergasted, I crossed the road very quickly."
The 44-year-old said she alerted other shoppers, warning them that a tarantula was 'on the loose' last week.
tarantula-292786.jpg
STIAN ALEXANDER
A Mexican red rump tarantula
Fellow Deal resident Graham Simpson, 43, said: "There was a right to-do - people were running over to the other side of the High Street because this tarantula hand landed out of nowhere.
"Nobody knows where it has gone - someone said they saw it run into a shop and someone else said it was dead."
Owner Gus How said the tarantula, which has still not been found, belonged to him and that it had blown off his windowsill.
Mexican red rump spiders have red hairs on their abdomens, called urticating bristles, which they fire out at predators, causing severe itching.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/579100/Deal-Kent-tarantula-spider-woman-arachnophobia

A Vermont woman has been bitten by a black widow spider her family says was hiding in a bag of grapes.

WCAX-TV reports (http://bit.ly/1GA30K0) the 21-year-old Colchester resident spent a night at a hospital after being treated for the bite. She was released Saturday. Her health will be monitored for months.

Black widow bites can cause muscle aches and nausea and make breathing difficult but usually aren't lethal. ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bl...s-out-of-bag-of-grapes-bites-woman/ar-BBkgZSU

I found a garden spider on my leg the other day whilst I was butchering the back garden grass. Even though I dont mind spiders it did make me jump and my natural reaction was to flick it away.

Why do we react to them in such ways?

I found a garden spider on my leg the other day whilst I was butchering the back garden grass. Even though I dont mind spiders it did make me jump and my natural reaction was to flick it away.

Why do we react to them in such ways?
Every now and then I employ my meagre mental faculties in the rather dubious game of 'What's the evolutionary reason for this?' In the case of spiders, I came up with this piece of mindless, unprovable speculation.

Our vertebrate ancestors will have evolved in an ocean teaming with early arachnids. Even as they grew into modest sized fish, spiders or spider-like predators will have stalked them. When they finally crawled out of the sea, they will have discovered that spiders already colonised the land, and we're probably big enough to have preyed on our early landliving predecessors. All in all, there has probably been a threat from arachnids throughout most of our evolutionary history. So the drive to deal immediately with the presence of spiders is probably ingrained in our DNA.

And that's it! I don't want to get into too deep an analysis or a discussion about 'nature or nurture' because this is not so much a theory as a way to make myself feel better about my wimpish arachnophobia.:D

I think it's simpler than that. The brain sees the "bug" categorizes it as a "bug" and not wanting to be bitten or stung or parasitized, gets the body to get rid of it. Then we can identify it as an insect/spider whatever as it lies there stunned.

Every now and then I employ my meagre mental faculties in the rather dubious game of 'What's the evolutionary reason for this?' In the case of spiders, I came up with this piece of mindless, unprovable speculation.

Our vertebrate ancestors will have evolved in an ocean teaming with early arachnids. Even as they grew into modest sized fish, spiders or spider-like predators will have stalked them. When they finally crawled out of the sea, they will have discovered that spiders already colonised the land, and we're probably big enough to have preyed on our early landliving predecessors. All in all, there has probably been a threat from arachnids throughout most of our evolutionary history. So the drive to deal immediately with the presence of spiders is probably ingrained in our DNA.

And that's it! I don't want to get into too deep an analysis or a discussion about 'nature or nurture' because this is not so much a theory as a way to make myself feel better about my wimpish arachnophobia.:D

That makes sense to me if this BBC info is correct :eek:

Reminds me of my days clambering around in peoples dusty attics. Sometimes you`d feel something crawling in your hair...:eek:

That makes sense to me if this BBC info is correct :eek:

"The size of a human head... would be hunting cats..." :eek::confused:Good grief. What about the notion that arachnid bodies are constricted by volume to stay below a certain size (something to do with oxygen absorption, IIRC)? How did this thing get around that? More scarily still, what drove it to extinction?

"The size of a human head... would be hunting cats..." :eek::confused:Good grief. What about the notion that arachnid bodies are constricted by volume to stay below a certain size (something to do with oxygen absorption, IIRC)? How did this thing get around that? More scarily still, what drove it to extinction?
Different oxygen levels in the atmosphere at that time?

It's funny you should say that, it turns out that Megarachne was more likely aquatic. Poor old Aunty Beeb had this drawn to their attention at the last minute:

It was too late to change the program, and so the show’s spider was cast as a species of Mesothelae, a true spider that was much smaller and looked quite different from the TV monster. Such are the perils of reconstructing ancient life. We lost a gigantic spider, but we gained a very strange eurypterid.

An illustration from wiki following Megarachne's 2005 makeover:
220px-Megarachne_BW.jpg

Good grief. Imagine a clump of those falling on your head....

A point of order - are they actually spiders? They don't look to have a well-defined cephalothorax and abdomen, just a body. I always thought these were called false spiders, but all I can find on Google is false widow spiders, which is another category of nope again.

I am, of course, splitting hairs. You wouldn't get me in that shed for any money. Is it a train shed, by any chance?

They look like harvestmen to me. The video isn't amazingly clear (on my phone anyway) but they move like harvestmen and are that sort of 'build'. So, they're arachnids, but not spiders. Close enough for a cloud of them to give an arachnophobe a panic attack, though.

EDIT Harvestmen are the beasties which are most often called daddy longlegs in the States, I believe.

Last edited:
They're pretty harmless, but I wouldn't go in there. Brrr.

The buggers can fly now!
Look away now arachnophobes! Enormous spider that can FLY despite having no wings discovered in South America
  • Researchers were studying flying insects after finding ants that glide
  • This is the first spider to display the ability to change direction in the air
  • The team dropped them from 65 to 80 feet (20 to 25 meters) from trees
  • Spiders were able to steer their way back to the trunk after falling 13 feet
By JACK MILLNER FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 11:08, 19 August 2015 | UPDATED: 11:24, 19 August 2015

If you're worried about spiders crawling up your legs or scuttling across your pillow at night, then you might want to shut your window too.

An arachnophobe's worst nightmare has been realised after a spider that can fly has been discovered in the jungles of South America.

And this creepy crawly's aerial acrobatics are more advanced than mere gliding - it can change direction in mid-air.

Scroll down for video

2B7C8BD300000578-3203193-image-a-1_1439975410239.jpg

+2
Geronimo! Researchers dropped spiders from trees in Peru and Panama and discovered the 'flattie' spider was able to steer its way back to the truck, changing direction in mid-air

A group of scientists working in Peru and Panama have discovered the nocturnal spider that is able to glide and steer in mid-air, displaying remarkable agility for an arachnid.

In a video released buy the researchers, the spider, which is about two inches across, can be seen changing direction as it falls through the air, guiding its way with its extended legs.

The discovery came as a shock to researchers, who say there are no other instances of a spider displaying this kind of mid-air steering.
To conduct the study, the researchers had to climb trees searching for the notoriously well camouflaged spiders, known as 'flatties' due to their very flat body shape.

The then dropped them from 65 to 80 feet (20 to 25 meters) from trees and filmed them maneuvering in the air.

The researchers say the spiders are more agile in the air than a cat, turning themselves right-side-up in milliseconds and pointing their heads downward to glide.

'This study, like the first report of gliding ants, raises many questions that are wide open for further study.' Yanoviak said. 'For instance, how acute is the vision of these spiders? How do they target a tree? What is the effect of their hairs or spines on aerodynamic performance?'

'We really did not expect to see gliding behavior in spiders,' study leader Stephen Yanoviak, a tropical arthropod ecologist at the University of Louisville in Kentucky, told National Geographic.

'There are no winged spiders. Spiders don't fly,' he added.

The spider, from the genus Selenops, joins a small group of non-winged creepy crawlies that have the ability to maneuvre in mid-air instead of falling like a stone.

'My guess is that many animals living in the trees are good at aerial gliding, from snakes and lizards to ants and now spiders,' said Robert Dudley, a professor of integrative biology at the University of California, Berkeley, and one of the authors of a paper.

'If a predator comes along, it frees the animal to jump if it has a time-tested way of gliding to the nearest tree rather than landing in the understory or in a stream.'

Flying Spiders Found—and They Can Steer in Mid-Air

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...s-discovered-South-America.html#ixzz3jGJQessU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...having-no-wings-discovered-South-America.html

It'll be piranhas next!

Sounds like you have to actively chuck them off things before they do their party piece, though.

It'll be piranhas next!

Sounds like you have to actively chuck them off things before they do their party piece, though.
Makes one wonder whether the spiders themselves knew they could do it before the researchers chucked them out of a tree. I wonder how many species these researchers have hauled into the forest canopy to hurl into the void and see what happens.

Makes one wonder whether the spiders themselves knew they could do it before the researchers chucked them out of a tree. I wonder how many species these researchers have hauled into the forest canopy to hurl into the void and see what happens.
Excellent thinking!
Elephants next.

From the article:

'My guess is that many animals living in the trees are good at aerial gliding, from snakes and lizards to ants and now spiders,' said Robert Dudley, a professor of integrative biology at the University of California, Berkeley, and one of the authors of a paper.

'If a predator comes along, it frees the animal to jump if it has a time-tested way of gliding to the nearest tree rather than landing in the understory or in a stream.'
This discovery has led the two to conduct bizarre experiments, throwing all manner of arthropods - the broad family that covers insects and spiders - out of trees to see how they fare.

'As far as adult arthropods are concerned, only ants, bristletails and spiders use directed aerial descent,' Yanoviak said.
'However, the wingless immature stages of various insects that are winged as adults can also glide really well. These include cockroaches, mantids, katydids, stick insects and true bugs.'

But not elephants, obviously. They'd just go SPLAT! (as any fule know).

Back