• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I hate to tell you that we are being ruled by giant spiders who weave their webs of illusion to blind us. If you don't believe me consider this. If you or I were to see a giant spider in real life we might have heart attack and die. They know we could not bare to see them so they hide. They watch us from dark tinted car windows. I will give you an example. Most of us have had the feeling while walking down any street that someone is watching us. When we turn to see who is watching sometimes you see the people or person who is looking and sometimes no one is there. Now on the other hand have you felt someone watching let's say from a car that has stop at the light while you cross the street and the feeling of being watched from that car is so strong that are dying to look at who is watching you but you are scared to death to look. That was them.

Please say stuff like that with smilies, in future.
*shudder*

An assistant prosecutor in West Virginia has been suspended after pulling a gun and threatening to shoot fake spiders scattered around the office as Halloween decorations.

Logan County Prosecuting Attorney John Bennett tells media outlets that Chris White informed other employees that he is "deathly afraid of spiders" before threatening to shoot. Bennett says he was out of the office at the time but was told about the incident by shaken employees.

He says White assured him the gun wasn't loaded

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbe...-after-pulling-gun-on-fake-spiders/ar-BBmCAzM

I found this, already dead on the floor directly beneath where I am sitting right now. I've tried my best, but in all honesty this photo just doesn't convey the massiveness of the thing. Were it alive when I found it I dread to think what my reaction would have been.
P1010998.jpg

I also wonder what my reaction would be to seeing Her Majesty. How spiderific! Red Dragon line?

I found this, already dead on the floor directly beneath where I am sitting right now. I've tried my best, but in all honesty this photo just doesn't convey the massiveness of the thing. Were it alive when I found it I dread to think what my reaction would have been.
View attachment 1526

Hmmm not that impressive. We get much bigger spiders around here.

I took this recently with an old black and white camera I happen to have, it was at a local vintage car rally. That's my Dad in front. He's had those glasses since the 50's bless him!

giant-spider01.jpg

Here's another picture of Dad about to kill the spider with a can of RAID. It took more than one can - three hundred and fifty seven to be precise!

giant-spider02.png

Err, forgot to mention that's a shot from the roof of the high rise where I live and that 20p is a scale model from the local funfair. It's about two London buses across.
And the carpark is white tarmac.

That's certainly is a very impressive scale model 20p that. Well done local fun fair for putting all that effort into making it!

It's lucky that giant spider died next to it too, otherwise who could tell how big it was?? Good pic DP and lucky you had your camera with you when it died, next to the 20p.

Err, forgot to mention that's a shot from the roof of the high rise where I live and that 20p is a scale model from the local funfair. It's about two London buses across.
And the carpark is white tarmac.
...And what about that text they've painted on that tarmac? Whoever did that, what were they thinking - eh? ;)

That's certainly is a very impressive scale model 20p that. Well done local fun fair for putting all that effort into making it!

It's lucky that giant spider died next to it too, otherwise who could tell how big it was?? Good pic DP and lucky you had your camera with you when it died, next to the 20p.
...And what about that text they've painted on that tarmac? Whoever did that, what were they thinking - eh? ;)
I know. You just couldn't make it up. Bloody giant spiders.

View attachment 1526

I'm new around here, so it's probably not my place to mention that, rather than being dead, that might simply be the moulted cuticle of the spider, shed as it grows. Grows bigger. Possibly hairier, too.

Sweet dreams :)

I'm new around here, so it's probably not my place to mention that, rather than being dead, that might simply be the moulted cuticle of the spider, shed as it grows. Grows bigger. Possibly hairier, too.

You're evil. You should fit in really well here :)

See? SEE? Try telling Felid and Myth that, they don't believe a word I say. If I go AWOL, you'll know what's happened.

You're probably right since there is no hair on the corpse, unless it's hairless.

You're probably right since there is no hair on the corpse, unless it's hairless.
Did you look at that photo?
There are hairs all over that dead spider.

Spiders have Sheds? What do they keep in them?

Spiders have Sheds? What do they keep in them?
The souls of unbaptised children and of those unfortunates who died friendless and alone, the unfulfilled dreams of those born in the wrong era, and the tears of unloved pets.

Plus a half empty can of gloss Pure Brilliant White, a bag of cement that has gone hard at the bottom, some paint brushes that are stiff with the corpse of paint long dead, and maybe a few dog-eared copies of Mayfair from about 1973.

I already am in a spider shed. [Looks up at the cobwebs on the light fitting.]

Massive funnel-web's spider venom to be milked in Australia

A deadly funnel-web spider with a leg span of 10cm (about 4in) is the largest specimen ever handed in to Australia's only venom-milking programme.
The spider, named Big Boy, has been handed to the Australian Reptile Park, which milks spiders to make anti-venom.
The park's venom programme supervisor, Billy Collett, said he had not heard of a bigger specimen.

"There might be one at a museum, but this is the biggest one we've had in our venom programme," Mr Collett said.

Big Boy is a male Sydney funnel-web spider, which is the deadliest spider in Australia and one of the most venomous in the world.
The average leg span of a funnel-web is between 6cm and 7cm.

Mr Collett said earlier reports that Big Boy's size was 7.5cm were based on an incorrect measurement taken when the spider's legs were not fully extended.

Big Boy will now become one of more than 500 funnel-webs that are milked for venom at the Australian Reptile Park.
"We get them into a defence position and with a glass pipette we vacuum the venom right off their fangs," Mr Collett said.
The venom is used in the production of anti-venom for treating funnel-web bites, which can be fatal.
The Australian Reptile Park encourages adults to collect funnel-webs if they come across them in the wild so they can be used for venom milking.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-35378879

'Johnnycashi' tarantula: Scientists name newly-discovered arachnid after country crooner
GET bitten by this scary, hairy, country wanderer and it’ll burn, burn, burn like a ring of fire.
By STUART WINTER
PUBLISHED: 16:45, Thu, Feb 4, 2016 | UPDATED: 17:30, Thu, Feb 4, 2016

johnny-cash-641149.jpg
GETTY/SWNS

Aphonopelma johnnycashi is named after the famous singer
This fist-sized tarantula with its fearsome fangs has been named in honour of the western music legend Johnny Cash.

Aphonopelma johnnycashi, as it is known in scientific circles, was recently discovered close to the setting of one of the singer’s greatest hits – Folsom Prison, California.

Like the singer’s famous Man in Black fashion preferences, the six-inch spider is also into shadowy outfits.

The males have deathly black bodies. Yet for all the scary looks and poisonous fangs, the scientist who named the spider says the Johnny Cash spider, like all American tarantulas, is harmless, describing them as “teddy bears with eight legs”.

RELATED ARTICLES
Dr Chris Hamilton, from the Florida Museum of Natural History, explained how the spider is one of 14 new species of Aphonopelma tarantulas discovered in the United States after a decade long search from baking deserts to icy mountainsides.

Almost 3,000 specimens were studied, ranging from six-inch wide creatures such as Johnnycashi to others the size of small coins.

The team’s findings, published in the journal ZooKeys, says there a total of 29 US tarantula species, including the 14 new Aphonopelma types.

For Dr Hamilton, discovering new species so close to home is a thing of wonder.

spider-456938.jpg
SWNS

The spider is one of 14 new species of Aphonopelma tarantulas discovered in the United States
spider-456941.jpg
GETTY

Johnny Cash
He said: “We often hear about how new species are being discovered from remote corners of the Earth, but what is remarkable is that these spiders are in our own backyard.

“With the Earth in the midst of a sixth mass extinction, it is astonishing how little we know about our planet's biodiversity, even for charismatic groups such as tarantulas.”

http://www.express.co.uk/news/natur...ntists-discover-new-spider-named-after-singer

Back