• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
[Shakes head sadly]

If they could find reasons to ban the rest of the shows, Oz would be leading the way.

That ghastly nostril-goblin has a strange power to mesmerize the very young and compel their servants to fork out for endless premium-priced but vacuous* merchandise.

*Have they made a Peppa-Pig vacuum-cleaner? Those nostrils could snort up a ton of dust! :fork:

Last edited:
They're back!

A spider not seen in the UK for about 50 years has been discovered at a National Trust site in Nottinghamshire.

The diamond spider, so-called due to its markings, was presumed extinct, but was found by two trust volunteers on heath land at Clumber Park, Worksop.

The spider, 7mm (0.2 inch), has only been recorded three times, all in the south of England, and not since 1969.

Lucy Stockton, who made the discovery, said she was "thrilled" by the find and that the species still existed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-41497475

Big horny spiders are having sex all over your house

SPIDERS are shagging in your house right now and there is nothing you can do about it.

Sex-crazed arachnids are getting their legs over in bathtubs, ceilings and under your bed while you are asleep, experts claim.

Professor Tom Howard, explained: “They are at it in the laundry basket, under the sofa and sometimes they’ll even do it right next to you while you are sleeping.

“The filthy bastards.”

Incy Wincy, a spider from Bristol, said: “The other night me and the missus had it off behind a sofa while a family were watching Victoria.

“Another night we did it in the sink three times while a woman was sat on the toilet having a piss. Good times.”

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...having-sex-all-over-your-house-20171004136904

maximus otter

Incy Wincy, a spider from Bristol, said: “The other night me and the missus had it off behind a sofa while a family were watching Victoria.

Which reminds me..
This spider was living in a crack above a door in the outside netty at work. It was a whopper and you can see from the photo that it had spun a web and would sit on it so it looked like it was floating in mid air.
One day a gentleman spider came to visit. They seemed to be getting on quite well, even sharing the same little living space above the door. Until she ate him.
That's what's left of him, those legs hanging by a thread on the left.
Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 07.53.17jpeg.jpg

Do take care when you're trying to eradicate spiders.

A blowtorch used to burn spider webs could be the cause of a fire at a mobile home in Tucson, Arizona, officials say.

Fire crews sent to the scene on Sunday stopped the fire from spreading.

An elderly woman was carried out of the home by her son and neighbours, but suffered only minor injuries.

The cause of the fire is being investigated. But firefighters say they suspect a propane torch was used to burn spiders from under the trailer.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41651046

Do take care when you're trying to eradicate spiders ...

Flaming spider causes $11,000 worth of damage in apartment
A California man using a lighter to kill a "huge" spider in his apartment ended up causing $11,000 worth of damage when the arachnid ignited a mattress.

Lyndsey Wisegarver, a caregiver for a resident of the apartment in Redding, said another resident was trying to kill a massive spider with a torch lighter and succeeded in setting the pest aflame.

"It was a huge wolf spider," Wisegarver told the Redding Record Searchlight.

The attempt turned to disaster, however, when the flaming spider fled into a mattress, setting it on fire.

Wisegarver said the flames soon spread to the apartment's drapes and a flag collection.

Redding firefighters responded to the building, where residents tried unsuccessfully to extinguish the flames with a garden hose.

The damage from the fire was estimated at about $11,000. ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/0...?utm_source=sec&utm_campaign=sl&utm_medium=12

I must admit I always have a very close look when I'm buying bananas...not too close though :nails:
Office worker finds 'deadly spider from Brazil' in his Asda bananas
Neil Langley didn’t notice the venomous intruder until he got to his office the next day.

• NEWS
    unnamed.png

The stowaway was identified as a Brazilian wandering spider (Image: Birmingham Mail)
    • deadly spider from Brazil in a bunch of bananas he bought from Asda.

Neil Langley didn’t notice the highly poisonous intruder until the following day when he got to his office.

Colleagues at the building in Birmingham Five Ways helped him pass on the spider to the RSPCA, and the venomous stowaway has now found new digs in Bristol Zoo.

The creepy-crawly is believed to be a Brazilian wandering spider, reports Birmingham Mail .

• etc

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/office-worker-finds-deadly-spider-11885135

There is truly nowhere safe. Intertidal spiders, as their name suggests, inhabit the stretch of shoreline between high and low tide, and have evolved an array of techniques to survive underwater. These range from water-repellent hairs that enable the spider to keep a layer of air around its abdomen; air-tight webs that the spiders can stay submerged in - the article portrays a positive sense of arachnid domestic bliss; and even a kind of gill, so that the spider can directly obtain oxygen from seawater. I repeat: nowhere is safe.

spiders.png

Look at the fangs on that!

Reactions: Jim
There is truly nowhere safe. Intertidal spiders, as their name suggests, inhabit the stretch of shoreline between high and low tide, and have evolved an array of techniques to survive underwater. These range from water-repellent hairs that enable the spider to keep a layer of air around its abdomen; air-tight webs that the spiders can stay submerged in - the article portrays a positive sense of arachnid domestic bliss; and even a kind of gill, so that the spider can directly obtain oxygen from seawater. I repeat: nowhere is safe.

spiders.png

At least the buggers don't have wings.

Lock up your birds!

Two huge tarantulas may be on the loose after three baby tarantulas were found in a car park without their parents.

The RSPCA rescued the baby Brazilian bird-eating spiders after being found in pots in Somercotes, Derbyshire.

However, two of the larger pots had been run over by a vehicle and it is thought the two adults may have been in these and escaped.

This tarantula species is one of the world's largest with a leg span of up 10in - the size of a dinner plate.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-44832778

Lock up your birds!

Two huge tarantulas may be on the loose after three baby tarantulas were found in a car park without their parents.

The RSPCA rescued the baby Brazilian bird-eating spiders after being found in pots in Somercotes, Derbyshire.

However, two of the larger pots had been run over by a vehicle and it is thought the two adults may have been in these and escaped.

This tarantula species is one of the world's largest with a leg span of up 10in - the size of a dinner plate.

Whenever I see these kind of news stories I hate that I never find anything like that. I have the enclosures spare too

Lock up your birds!

The Goliath tarantula (sometimes called the bird eating spider) is the heaviest of all spiders. It can weigh in at 6 oz. and can have a leg span up to 11"
However the spider with the largest leg span is a Huntsman spider with a leg span of 12", however it's not as bulky. It is also much faster.

https://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/goliath-bird-eating-tarantula
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160314-the-worlds-largest-spider-is-the-size-of-a-dinner-plate

Spider fun down under

Police responding to emergency discover man trying to kill spider

Yahoo7 News
2 January 2019

Police in Perth thought they had a potentially tragic incident on their hands when they were called to a house after reports of a toddler screaming and a man shouting death threats.
Multiple police units arrived at a property on Wednesday morning after neighbours heard a child’s piercing screams and a man repeatedly yelling, “Why don’t you die?”.
Fearing the worst, officers “responded lights and sirens” to the incident only to find a man had simply been trying to kill a spider.

etc

https://au.news.yahoo.com/police-responding-emergency-discover-man-trying-kill-spider-055759906.html

A car with added extras
Deadly Black Widow spider found an inch from Dundee car nut's face as he renovated classic motor
Experts discovered a nest of the venomous arachnids inside his imported Ford Mustang when they were called in by stunned John Blain.

By
Cath Ascroft
  • 14:34, 5 JAN 2019
  • UPDATED14:35, 5 JAN 2019
NEWS
Enter your postcode for local news and info
0_Screen-Shot-2019-01-05-at-140825.png
John Blain was stunned to find the deadline spider in his car (Image: CASCADE NEWS)

Get Daily updates directly to your inbox
Subscribe
See our privacy noticeMore newsletters
A Scottish man had a lucky escape when he discovered a deadly Black Widow spider hiding in his classic car.
John Blain was in his shed refurbishing his Ford Mustang, imported from California, when he spotted an unusual arachnid just an inch from his face.
After searching the internet for a match he realised the creepy crawly matched the description of a Black Widow the most venomous spider in North America.
When experts arrived they found two live females and a spider nest in the 1965 classic motor.
The 47-year-old from Tealing near Dundee in Angus says he believes the spiders must have arrived with the car more than nine months earlier.
etc

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/deadly-black-widow-spider-found-13816078

Two spidery tales here. The Aussie Redback killing and hanging up a sizeable snake was impressive, but the Tarantula dragging an opossum to its lair was jaw-dropping. Must be close to a record leg-span:

https://www.foxnews.com/science/hug...s-amazon-rainforest-floor-in-haunting-footage
I love how at 13 seconds in, the subtitle on the video says that the spider was the size of a dinner-plate, fuelling my belief that crockery gives us the SI units for arthropod size, just like double-decker buses for height, Olympic swimming pools for volume, and Wales for square kilometrage.

I love how at 13 seconds in, the subtitle on the video says that the spider was the size of a dinner-plate, fuelling my belief that crockery gives us the SI units for arthropod size, just like double-decker buses for height, Olympic swimming pools for volume, and Wales for square kilometrage.

Think it was in "This is Jinsy" that the weather forecast was for fog and visibility was specified as 12 cats (or 20 if they're kittens).

I am pretty sure that I am immune to deadly spider bites. I have been bitten by a couple Brown Recluse and Black Widows a couple of times since that time in my youth.
Immune as in "totally unaffected by", or as in "did not die"? Deadly spiders don't actually seem to be all that deadly. Their bites can give you quite a bad time, but actual, confirmed fatalities are fairly few and far between. Google - with all the caveats that entails - seems to suggest about 6 deaths per annum can be attributed to spider bites in the USA. In what seems a case of arthropodic non-determinism, the precise number seems to correlate with the length of the winning words in spelling bees:

chart.jpeg

Immune as in "totally unaffected by", or as in "did not die"? Deadly spiders don't actually seem to be all that deadly. Their bites can give you quite a bad time, but actual, confirmed fatalities are fairly few and far between. Google - with all the caveats that entails - seems to suggest about 6 deaths per annum can be attributed to spider bites in the USA. In what seems a case of arthropodic non-determinism, the precise number seems to correlate with the length of the winning words in spelling bees:

Immune does not mean "totally unaffected by" the person in question would have anti-bodies right, thank you for a needlessly correcting me using spelling bee data

Immune does not mean "totally unaffected by"
Doesn't it? I'm not a medical doctor, so you may be right in strictly clinical terms, but in common parlance it is commonly used in that way. Granted, when the topic is spider bites, we are not necessarily too far from the emergency room. Anyway, what is it that led you to think you may have some kind of immunity?
thank you for a needlessly correcting me using spelling bee data
I'm sorry it landed with you as a correction, that wasn't my intention. I simply enjoyed the apparent correlation between two seemingly otherwise unconnected phenomena. It's also a gentle reminder for us never to take things at face value.

Back