• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The UK's full of scheduled sites. One of my favourites is the site where King Aethelstan's "palace" (actually, a hunting lodge more likely) is located. Right behind my old village church. Given the connection to the first king of all England, you'd imagine it might be something of a priority. I think it's been scheduled since the 1960s... Never dug. To my knowledge, anyway. Interestingly, us locals had a "White Lady" myth centred round a pond in that field. I still use the word "lady" but maybe only in a folklore context lol.

I'm an old fart but my take is that the word "Lady" in these contexts is an age-related thing. I'm ancient but prefer to be called a "woman" to a "lady". My kids would enver use the word "lady" either, but my parents would have. The pedant in me doesn't want to lose the word "lady" because it's a beautiful Anglo Saxon word... but in reality, I don't like it being used for me. (And of course, it doesn't need to be used at all to preface a job title).

A few years ago, I was witness in a court case and the police fecked up and forgot to tell me to do a witness impact statement. (It was the Met because the crim lived there, but I was at the other end of the country and had been dealing with our local coppers so I think it was an adminstrative error). Anyway, afterwards I made a complaint (not being a lady) and they wrote me back a letter saying I forget but using the phrase that I'd been a "brave lady". F that, was how I felt. Really disliked it. It felt incredibly condescending. I think many people my age would still use the word but I haven't for years and am with Frides on this.
Well, I guess there's plenty of foibles out there somewhere we could all have likes, or dislikes with labels.

Back