• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are People Here Scared Of Ghosts?

Wouldn't be afraid of this ghost though :D

upload_2018-9-16_21-54-37.png

ARE YOU KIDDING??? I’d do any number of disreputable things for a chance like that!!!

McAvennie, you are hereby instructed to take that intern up on her offer immediately and report back!

I know, I know, it was a really dark bar we were in though and I had started to freak myself out... And I had to go back to a really creepy 1970s hotel as well.

Having never seen a ghost, I can't say for sure but knowing that I'm a complete and utter wuss I think I would probably be scared. But then again lots of things scare me so (like some others have said) it wouldn't just be the fact that they were ghosts.

I think the question "Are you afraid of...?" might be usefully broken down further. Fear, it seems to me, comes in (at least) two forms: a) conceptual and b) visceral. It also seems intuitive to say that if one has b), one likely has a), too.

To give an example of each, I conceptually fear sharks. If were told that such-and-such a bay had been the site of one or more recent shark attacks, I would not swim there as I can imagine myself encountering a shark and the result being unpleasant. Crucially, however, when contemplating this eventuality I experience no physiological or psychological symptoms (anxiety, increased heartbeat and respiration etc.)--the fear is behavioural in that it affects my choice of action and intellectual in that it is understood, but it is not felt.

At the other end, we have visceral fears: those which come on unbidden and are not so much contemplated as undergone. The fear of death (annihilation to be precise) in the wee hours, the dizzying or paralysing fear of heights that seems more physical than mental: these states affect not just action but perception: that cornice I am clinging to is not just a jutting piece of stone but salvation; that belief in divine providence is not equal to other beliefs but the most important thing in one's life; that paperweight is not a functional decoration but a weapon.

Within this framework, I am not conceptually afraid of ghosts, but I may well prove viscerally so if I were ever to encounter one.

Regarding the original post.....I'll let you know if and when I ever see one.

;)

Sorry if there's been a thread on this before - it was a big of a vague one to search on :D I was bemoaning the lack of good hauntings in Toronto recently, only to realize that if I went somewhere I genuinely believed to be haunted, with a high likelihood of witnessing something, I'd probably be so busy s******g bricks and keeping my eyes shut, I wouldn't get to see anything even if it happened. Except of course, if I had my eyes shut, I'd be terrified that something would grab me. So I can't imagine I'd get very far at all. When I saw my grandmother at the foot of my bed when I was 8, I remember being absolutely beside myself with terror, because I realized I was seeing a ghost (poor thing - she totally picked the wrong person to visit) and was rammed under the bedclothes for the rest of the night. A few years back, I was really anxious going into the Edinburgh vaults until the tour really kicked off, at which point I realized the whole experience was such a pile of hammed up theatrical nonsense that there was no way anything would/could ever happen. Are there any other chickens on the board?

I confess that the adrenaline shot I get when I see something out of place (like a ghost) is pretty explosive, and is definitely my fight or flight response being triggered, and that means fear. A friend of mine once gave me a jump scare and I had pulled a bookshelf down on top of him before I consciously knew I had been scared. It wasn't great, and it wasn't the only time I have done something like that, just the most dramatic. For the most part ghosts don't seem to be all that dangerous, but they do place a drain on your energy. In short they are about as dangerous as a case of ringworm.

I'm sure I'd posted on this but apparently not (must have been a similar thread on Facebook). I think the only emotional response I'd show is one of total shock/surprise. That may manifest as fear. If I'd been told that a spectre would knock on my front door tonight at 8pm,I wouldn't be alarmed. If one were to show itself unexpectedly in front of me, thats another matter!

Scary sightings!

In 2003 I saw three different apparitions, on separate nights, around my bed. On each occasion I let out a long scream that startled me as much as my sleeping husband. My heart raced and I was really frightened. The second one illicited a bigger scream and the final one brought on such a racing, thumping heart, it was audible in my opened mouth. They got the message because I never saw them again!

I think it was the fact that whatever I was experiencing (ghost or hypnagogic incident) it was IN MY ROOM and THREE FEET AWAY! Had I seen something flit across the grand hall of a stately home I'd have been thrilled. I don't believe they CAN harm you as female ghost passed through the left side of my Headmaster as they crossed on an Edwardian staircase.
I hope you have rethought your life and given a giant turkey to the Scratchett family now..

Also, beware talking doorknockers.

Regarding the original post.....I'll let you know if and when I ever see one.

;)
I'm with you, Doc. I can't say I have ever had an experience that would fall into the ghost category. I would like to think I would be more curious than frightened but it's easy to say that as I sit here in a crowded, well-lit office. ;)

Back