• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are There Any Pig Mutilations On Record?

tilly50

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I don't know if there is another post anywhere that deals with this, but while reading the theories about cattle mutilations I began to wonder what other animals have been attacked in this way.

There are a number of recorded horse mutilations, family pets (such as dogs and cats) have been found mutilated and there are the sheep supposedly savaged by ABC,s. If the animals attacked by the chupacabra are included then we should include poultry, goats and cavies.

Thing is, I cannot find any reports of pigs being attacked. Also are any other animals that are targeted for this type of attack (camelids for instance)? Perhaps I've just not looked in the right places but I thought that I'd just ask.

Pigs are kept in closed runs rather than in fields so they'd be less accessible. Also, they don't roam like domestic pets.

In Britain, the movement of pigs is strictly regulated to prevent the spread of swine fever, so very few are kept 'free range'.

I don't have access to it right now, but in the book Mysteries of the Unexplained, there is a case of a wolf-like animal that could make great leaps biting the ears off of a farmer's pigs. I'll see if I can't find it.

In horse mutilations, isn't there a theory about the animal being hypnotised before the attack? Can pigs be hypnotised? Doesn't sound likely.

gncxx said:
Can pigs be hypnotised?

It's lines like this one that keep me coming back for more. God bless FTMB.

From Mysteries of the Unexplained:

"A Preference for Ears
Something had been eating the ears off living hogs, reported The Jasper County News in Mississippi, in January 1977. One victim, belonging to Joseph Dickson of the Nazerene Community, had had its ears sheared off so cleanly that the job might have been done with scissors. The next nigh another hog was attacked in a pen, and a third hog the night following. On the third night, Dickson saw an animal in the pen; it was bigger than the biggest German shepherd, he said, and could jump farther than any dog in the world. A week later Calvin Martin, a neighbor, found that the ears of one of his sows had been pulled out by the roots."

The book's source: The Jasper County News, January 12 and 19, 1977.

Weirdly, the book opened right to the correct page.

Mister_Awesome said:
Weirdly, the book opened right to the correct page.

Pray for Mister Awesome. Things always begin this way. <g>

found that the ears of one of his sows had been pulled out by the roots

I once saw a Jack Russell do this to a ewe. My springer grabs the ears of our golden retriever to bring him down (in play). It might be a tactic that canines use when attacking larger prey. Come to think of it a Jack Russell is probably one of the few dogs with the cahounas to sustain an attack against a pig.

This 1976 report on animal mutilation events:
http://www.nidsci.org/pdf/wolverton_book.pdf
... mentions a pig mutilation in Meeker County Minnesota.

The linked book was:

Mystery Stalks The Prairie
Roberta Donovan and Keith Wolverton, 1976

The link above is dead. The Earthfiles site has subdivided the book into chapters, and full access to all the pieces now requires a subscriber login.

The all-in-one PDF version of the book can still be accessed at:

http://www.skinwalkerranch.org/videos/wolverton_book.pdf
OR
https://www.slideshare.net/ufomig/wolverton-book

Pigs are tricky buggers - they are, for a start, a lot bigger than you'd think, very heavy, quite vicious and very very wriggly. Horses, cows and sheep (to a certain extent) are used to humans handling them on a regular basis, whereas pigs tend not to get 'up close and personal' with people all that often. Even an alien with seventeen hands would have a job on with a pig.

And the noise they'd make would bring everyone running for miles.

ImageHandler17-820x418.jpg

In answer to the thread question - yes - 'Pig Attack With Machete' was track one, side 2, of the LP 'Domestic Animals - Sounds of Slaughter' released on the Parlophone label. It wasn't a big seller.

Back