• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are There Any Tales Of Blind People And Ghosts?

Durhamghostwhisperer

Junior Acolyte
hi just wondering if any one has ever heard any tales about blind people and their experiances with ghosts or been haunted.

Or of people and blind ghosts. The type that walk into walls. :)

It's a very good question actually - But I've not heard of any specifically involving blind people, living or dead! :p I guess if you were blind, you obviously couldn't see a ghost, but maybe hear or feel? Maybe it would give more creedance to a story, or then again, it could be blamed on audio hilloucinations (Spl??!! lol) which seems to be a popular answer for everything in IHTM at the moment. (Ok, not everything but everything involving a bed/bedroom. :p ;) ). Anyway, I might try having a google, let you know if I find anything.

Ooh, haven't read it all, but first attempt with, 'blind people and ghosts' turned up this:
Can a blind man see a ghost?
gaslight.mtroyal.ca/blndghst.htm
Link is obsolete. The current link is:
http://gaslight-lit.s3-website.ca-central-1.amazonaws.com/gaslight/blndghst.htm

I'll have a look see what else I can find.

Also found this:
wirenot.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed at the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20071214152549/http://www.wirenot.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50

It's another mb, not ghosts but titled, 'Can blind people 'see' during an NDE? It contains a facinating excerpt from the first posters website detailng the experiance of a blind persons NDE. Worth a read.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a blind person saw a ghost, it would be truly fortean!

Also if a blind person died, and his ghost allegadly haunted somewhere would it be blind?

what about a deaf/blind person? would they even know they are dead? (assuming ghosts exist, which i dont believe, but i like philosophy :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Blind psychic DID see ghost

RealPaZZa said:
If a blind person saw a ghost, it would be truly fortean! ...

I went to that Sharon Neill site and her Biography page addresses exactly that question:

>> Mum led me over to Gran's coffin. I ran my hands over her face, feeling her kind features for the last time. I'd never touched a dead person before, but I wanted to make sure I remembered what she looked like.

I was 14, had been blind since birth and was used to 'seeing' people through touch.

Two years later, I travelled from Ireland to England to go to a college for the blind. One night, while studying, I heard an unmistakable voice.
'Sharon, I just want you to know, you'll pass your assessment, so don't worry.'
Granny!? It couldn't be - she'd been dead for years!
Then I saw Gran. Really saw her. I'd been blind all my life, but now I knew what Granny looked like. She was in front of me.

What the...? 'Let the family know that I'm OK and I'm happy,' she said.
I watched her smile the kind smile I'd only ever felt with my fingers.
'OK, Granny, but am I imagining you because I'm under too much pressure?' She smiled again. 'I'm here, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see me.'

Well, it was a kind of logic, I suppose...

I told Mum what had happened. Described the striped dress Granny had worn, the colour of her eyes, things I couldn't have known because I'd never seen her.

'You've got her down to a T,' Mum gasped. 'How on earth did you know?' <<

My maternal grandmother had been blind with glaucoma for almost 50 years. When she was nearing her 91st birthday, she had a major stroke and was taken to the krankenhaus.

She was almost totally paralysed and had various tubes and meters attached to monitor her progress
With her 8 children around her bed one day, she sat up, outstretched her arms and opened her eyes fully. My mum said a look of pure bliss came over her face and a few seconds later she was gone.

Someone she recognised came to take her on her final journey..... could that be classed as a ghost?

I was pondering blindness and paranormal experience, probably prompted by reading The Bird Box recently. Although a lot of ghost reports do incorporate a visual component, figures out of the corner of the eye, blurry movements to full-on apparitions, a lot of haunting phenomena are non-visual, such as a strong sense of presence, phantom sounds, disappearing and out-of-place objects, phantom odours etc, which could be experienced by a blind person, in fact a blind person might be even more sensitive to some of these. But then I got thinking about high strangeness encounters, where much of the high strangeness derives from the ridiculously weird visual aspect of the phenomena, such as biologically impossible creatures, strange bodily movements and reactions etc. How would a blind person perceive a high strangeness encounter?

Back