• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are There More Conspiracy Believers These Days?

I think that in general there are more conspiracy believers as there are more people questioning things like covid, the vaccines and just who is telling the truth along with an increased mistrust of those in authority.

As an example, recently I was chatting to a neighbour who lives in the flat below mine. He was a faithful reader of the Daily Mail, watched the BBC every evening because they never lie, was eager to get his vaccine against covid and berated me for not getting vaccinated in a very animated fashion.

Whilst chatting and amongst the general chit chat he mentioned he hadn't had any of the boosters and doesn't intend to either which really surprised me. His view was we were lied to. He didn't go into why he thinks that. He's stopped reading any newspapers and does not watch the news anymore because it's probably a pack of lies. He even mentioned Ukraine and said 'we', the famous 'we', probably don't get told the truth about that either.

He is a 80 something year old who is a very conservative man of routines whose flat is spotless and he doesn't own a computer.

Is he a conspiracy believer?

Some poor materially poor people may have quite pleasant lives doing a job and living a comparatively simple life which might not involve much money but may be satisfying.
The happiest time in my life (by far) was when living in an isolated place in the mid-nineties; hard work/no internet/mobile phones/tv/car/nice clothes/very basic accommodation/and very little money. By FAR.

"When we were little we had nothing and, by eck, we were 'appy."

Sam Smith's beer is relatively decent, but the Sam Smith's management are bonkers. The owner, Humphrey Smith, is still living in the 18th century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Smith_Old_Brewery#Controversies

For no good reason, the town of Tadcaster was cut in half by Smith's refusal to allow the construction of a temporary bridge after severe flooding washed away the ancient bridge in the centre of town.
In January 2016, Samuel Smith's Old Brewery opposed the construction on its land of a temporary bridge over the River Wharfe, which would allow residents to cross the town, which was divided following the collapse of the 300-year-old bridge, claiming that, at a cost of £300,000, it was "a waste of public money".[23]

Some related data from Holland. This is the amount of trust in:
Science
Judicial system
Royal family
Citizens
The media
Politicians

1152x864a.jpg

Back