• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are There More Ghosts From Certain Periods In History?

I'm afraid I've always doubted the existence of a "Unified Theory" of what a ghost is, considering the wide-range of phenomena claimed.
Agreed- much like fairy sightings, ghost sightings appear break down into several quite distinct 'types' of sightings, so 'vague shapes', solid representations of people, translucent figures). You'd probably be able to extract some interesting patterns to sightings by tabulating them, adding columns for features of the 'sighting' and also adding in stuff like weather, location, time of day, some info about the witness etc. etc.

As did Gary Numan. The person you saw may not have been dead but rather time-slipped from their time to yours then back again
Or astral travel. On another thread, I relayed the experience I had at 7 or 8 when I saw my youngest brother standing, clear as day in his pjs, at the side of my bed looking down at me early one morning. He might have been 1 1/2 to 2 years old because he was walking. This was not an uncommon thing for him to do as he'd join me and my sister in bed. I whispered his name, and he slowly disappeared. Was he astral projecting? I was not dreaming because I had woken and then dived right under my covers when he disappeared.

Didn't want to start a brand new thread to post this, so after a (perhaps not thorough enough search) decided to post this here.

The New Dark Histories podcast "The Haunting of Hinton Ampner" presents a very juicy series of hauntings reported there and discusses how the type of sightings and sounds heard predate the era where such style of hauntings became "all the rage for Victorian readers."

S07EP19 – The Haunting of Hinton Ampner at https://www.darkhistories.com/

An interesting OP!

If what we call 'ghosts' are related to traumatic events, then we'd see lots of battlefield and murder ghosts.

If related to numbers of deaths, then we'd be seeing large numbers of Mediaeval Black Death victims, pople who perished in other pandemics such as 1918 Spanish 'Flu, WWII ghosts (conservatively estimated total at c. 50,000,000 total deaths) and previous/latter genocides.

If related to locations, then presumably something had to have happened there at some point in past history, to indent the figure of a person at the locations - and there are many green fields and seemingly 'empty' spaces that used to hold villages and settlements, now lost.

I've never knowingly seen a 'ghost' but I have heard some very odd things, many years ago, all in relatively old houses 250+ years old.

An interesting OP!

If what we call 'ghosts' are related to traumatic events, then we'd see lots of battlefield and murder ghosts.

If related to numbers of deaths, then we'd be seeing large numbers of Mediaeval Black Death victims, pople who perished in other pandemics such as 1918 Spanish 'Flu, WWII ghosts (conservatively estimated total at c. 50,000,000 total deaths) and previous/latter genocides...

As someone who is pretty open minded when it comes to the subject of the phenomena we call ghosts, this area is always a major stumbling block for me. If we suspend any disbelief for a moment, and accept it all as real, then trauma cannot be a major establishing factor - because, if it were, the world would be utterly overtaken by the ghosts of the dead. And really, the same goes for all the other reasons.

Like you @AnonyJ my own experiences have been of an aural nature. I am more or less convinced that at least two of these actually happened, and are not a product of my imagination - but, despite that sureness, the 'why' is completely beyond me, and I've never heard a convincing reason.

Thing is, if a ghost represented a group of people who died of the plague or Spanish 'flu, then their clothes wouldn't really give a clue. Especially at the burial ground - they'd already gone through the trauma of death, see, so wouldn't they appear where they died rather than where they were buried?

As someone who is pretty open minded when it comes to the subject of the phenomena we call ghosts, this area is always a major stumbling block for me. If we suspend any disbelief for a moment, and accept it all as real, then trauma cannot be a major establishing factor - because, if it were, the world would be utterly overtaken by the ghosts of the dead. And really, the same goes for all the other reasons.

Like you @AnonyJ my own experiences have been of an aural nature. I am more or less convinced that at least two of these actually happened, and are not a product of my imagination - but, despite that sureness, the 'why' is completely beyond me, and I've never heard a convincing reason.
I guess there could be two reasons and sightings do fit into two categories, there are those that are like timeslip cases where the image is just going about life and those were the image appears to be sentient to it's surroundings

Perhaps when most souls depart this mortal plain they are quite glad to get away from earthly bondage and finally see the life they had just lead as all part of a divine play, they move on without giving a thought to the past onwards and upwards as they say, and then there are some who just can't accept the fact they are dead or have such strong attachments to this life that they find it hard to move on

Back